PDA

View Full Version : OOP Models in general

SombreBrotherhood
09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
With the advent of the new SW codex, I'm thinking of making a small army with a bunch of OOP minis I got as part of a huge lot some time ago. I've got around twenty metal power armor wolves and seven metal third edition terminators with wild weapon combos. A few of those old metals are the badass wolf guard guys with power fists and swords. Add to that two OOP Rhinos and an OOP Predator w/ the stubby twin lascannons, and I've got a general question for you forum-goers...

Do you always, on some level, prefer new style models in those examples over the OOP ones? (assuming equivalent level of painting, of course)

SandWyrm
09-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Do you always, on some level, prefer new style models in those examples over the OOP ones? (assuming equivalent level of painting, of course)

Well, as someone who plays IG with the old metal Tallarn models... Heck Ya!!!

I've got some plastic Cadians, but I just can't bring myself to put them on the field.

krispy
09-23-2009, 11:35 PM
i love my old oop lead marines, they are the reasons i started collecting marines ;)

The AKH
09-23-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm a huge fan of the classic metal Imperial Guardsmen, especially the Cadians... plastic is lovely, but the old metal sculpts had a lot more "character", IMO. On the other hand, I do think that some current kits are WAY better than their OOP equivalents - the Wraithlord being a prime example.

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-24-2009, 01:23 AM
I certainly prefer some OOP models to the newer variants, and to be fair it works the other way around too. For example I much prefer the old-school beakie marines...but because their shorter/smaller than the current ones I used them as scouts instead - and I much prefer them to the scout models we have now, personally.

jcroxford
09-24-2009, 03:30 AM
It seems like the overall scale of all models seems to just get larger and larger as time goes buy with GW. I'm not complaining. The newer models look awesome. But it almost makes some of the older ones obsolete (or just very silly in comparison). Take for example Terminators. I have the old metal box set. If you put them side by side with the newer plastic ones, they just look silly. I have an old Bloodthirster that I affectionetly call JR. He is sooooo tiny compared to the current model. Some Models that I do prefer are the really old Marauder chaos dwarfs (pre-big hat). those were too cool!

Denzark
09-24-2009, 04:12 AM
My Guard Infantry is 100% OOP - from the old RT plastic box set and the Imperial Army figures in the main, although a few 2nd ed metal cadians.

I too have a good size (20+ troops, 10 ish long fangs, 5 ish Wolf Guard Power Armour, 5 WG Termiantors and every OOP IC) Space Wolves, all in metal, waiting for start of Oct.

So yes OOP is good GW models for characters are getting better and the infantry box sets in plastic seem to be getting worse. Power to OOP and old models.

TSINI
09-24-2009, 04:30 AM
although I love my old valhallan army, buying the same 10 men over and over does make me cringe, i've always enjoyed converting, so plastic is definately a way for me to do that.

I agree with the points above though, the old metals definately had more individual character, but when that character was repeated over and over, it got a little stale for my taste :D

zed
09-24-2009, 05:55 AM
It's about striking a balance between superb figures and economy. Why buy new if you have old metals you never got round to using. I have old long fangs, the last plastic SW figures and will get some of the new ones. I'll use some new plastic bits on old metal bodies too

sketchesofpayne
09-24-2009, 06:16 AM
On the flip side, GW seems to have done a decent job making the older models just seem like earlier technological variants of current models. So if you're playing with OOP models it's more like you're playing a company with older equipment.

Brass Scorpion
09-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Absolutely not. While there have been vast improvements in many models over the years, many of the older sculpts are still intriguing and in some cases still fantastic in more ways than one. I love having some of my older models still active in my army collections. Some of them because they look great still and show why this hobby took off in the first place and some of them because they are a little dated or weird and they make great conversation pieces. In either case, they always generate interest from newer hobbyists and they are fun to see and chat about.

trjames
09-24-2009, 09:52 AM
It seems like the overall scale of all models seems to just get larger and larger as time goes buy with GW. I'm not complaining. The newer models look awesome. But it almost makes some of the older ones obsolete (or just very silly in comparison). Take for example Terminators. I have the old metal box set.

I totally understand what you're saying here. I've got a squad of the 1988 sculpt of the Grey Knight Terminators that I adore. I think they look way better than the new ones. The other day I got a few of the new ones to add a new squad and the difference in size is tremendous.

Sangre
09-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Query: OOP = Out Of Production?

imperialsavant
09-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, as someone who plays IG with the old metal Tallarn models... Heck Ya!!!

I've got some plastic Cadians, but I just can't bring myself to put them on the field.

:) Well I have a very large (2500+) metal Valhallan Army that I just "love" some great poses, good gear, blankets, canteens etc.

I really would like to build a small "Heresy era" SM Army based on the Heresy period & previous Armour Mks. but cost deters me:rolleyes:

Drunkencorgimaster
09-24-2009, 08:13 PM
It seems like the overall scale of all models seems to just get larger and larger as time goes buy with GW. I'm not complaining.

I am! Freakin' HATE scale creep!

Skeletay
09-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Since I got back into the hobby a couple years ago, I'd say 90% of the stuff I've bought( way too much stuff) has been old metal models. I've built myself an entire battle company out of oop marines. Go Metal!!!

Aldramelech
09-26-2009, 12:36 AM

Nail, Head, on trarget! lol

Denzark
09-26-2009, 03:39 AM

Sometimes print sometimes production

Denzark
09-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Have you seen how much Nurgle Renegades in metal - the 1988 ones - go for on ebay? I've seen for over £20 a pop... maybe GW should take note and re-open a full bitz service with an OOP premium charge.

Skragger
09-26-2009, 08:03 AM
I am absolutely all for the newer plastic ork models, they're better looking and FAR easier to kustomize... I have a few old 2nd ed ork boyz kicking around, they're small, impossible to convert, and really rather ugly (well.. for an ork even)