PDA

View Full Version : MUSE - A conflict of interest

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-08-2012, 03:01 AM
Agent here,

So, any Muse fans out there will know that the band has released a trailer for their new album, The 2nd Law.
If you've seen the trailer then you'll probably have noticed that they seem to be edging more towards dubstep with this release.

I don't know how to feel about this... I'm a pretty stern rocker... and I'm quite opposed to the noise that is dubstep...
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.
On the other hand; Muse are my favourite band of all time, I've seen them like a bazzillion times. I love everything that they've ever touched. (even Neutron Star Collision)

What are your thoughts on this??

I think that personally, I owe them a chance.

Wolfshade
06-08-2012, 04:24 AM
I don't much care for muse myself, but I know what you mean the latest korn albumn has been a collaboration with a shrillex(?) and that is all dubsteppy.
I don't mind it when bands move and progress but sometimes I don't like the direction theat they have headed, similiarly I wasn't overly keen on within temptation's newest albumn as it was quite a step away from the early goth rock roots

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Yeah, or just like Linkin Park's step into dubstep with A Thousand Suns (a stain on both the 15th Legion and Linkin Park)

Wolfshade
06-08-2012, 04:33 AM
Exactly.
Sometimes though they do it quite well, but it is a risk to move away from your traditional fan base.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-08-2012, 04:43 AM
Muse's collaboration with U2's The Edge was very good. They did "Where the streets have no name" and it was very enjoyable.

Guess I'll have to wait for 17th September (6 days before my b'day!) as to whether it's good or not.

Wolfshade
06-08-2012, 05:04 AM
Although sometimes a song you hear the first time, you don't like but the more you hear it the better it becomes. A grower

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Except Bring Me The Horizon, that sh!t will never grow on me...

Psychosplodge
06-08-2012, 08:29 AM
There's a difference between growing musically and abandoning your core fans like what korn have done, can't comment on muse personally as it's a little more mainstream than my tastes run so I couldn't tell you how it's changed €lol

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-08-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't get "mainstream". It's a silly concept.

MaltonNecromancer
06-08-2012, 11:27 AM
This is excellent news. I love Muse, and I rather enjoy the odd spot of dubstep, so it's sounding pretty win-win.

Frankly, dubstep just seems to me to be what metal has evolved into. I know a lot of metallers love their speed guitar, but I prefer something relentless (which doesn't mean fast). I like music with a bassline that sounds like an angry god trying to flatten a mountain with thunderbolts made from steroids, so I was always going to like dubstep.

The only problem it has is lyrics - they're dreadful. But it's not like metal/rock has been the place one comes to for great lyrical insight. (Hey there Avril! Still rhyming "boy" with "boy" are we? Hey there My Chemical Romance! Still sad that you were picked on at school?)

Until SOAD reform (or any of its members have a new album out), Biffy Clyro manage something as awesome as "The Captain" again, or Metallica stop being a bunch of base-pandering wussies, Musestep sounds alright to me...

DarkLink
06-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Seeing as musicians are artists, you fall into one of two categories. Either make what you want, and the fans will come, or make what sells well. Or, sometimes, both. So, either you're hated for "selling out", or you're hated for "not being as cool as you used to be".

+1

Though I will say this: I once saw a little pictograph describing the evolution of rap music. In generation 1, they rapped about how messed up life on the streets could be, and how they tried to overcome those difficulties. Second generation rappers started rapping about how hard they were and how many hoes they had and how many people they'd shanked in prison. Third generation rapped about "black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow."

I hate most rap, but this is one case where I can sympathize with the whole anti mainstream thing. I still hate rap, though.

Ironically, most of the rap that I do like is either Eminem or Linkin Park. I swear I'm not racist.

Psychosplodge
06-08-2012, 01:26 PM

That may have been a poor choice of words, but I mean it's a bit closer to pop than what I generally listen to...

Frankly, dubstep just seems to me to be what metal has evolved into. I know a lot of metallers love their speed guitar, but I prefer something relentless (which doesn't mean fast). I like music with a bassline that sounds like an angry god trying to flatten a mountain with thunderbolts made from steroids, so I was always going to like dubstep.

I don't think crossing metal with the 56k modem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-jb3ZS4JOk) is evoloution, surly something industrial like rammstein, combi christ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhemwG4b9dA&feature=related) or the like would give you a relentless baseline? or some of the viking meta (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPRt6Tt6RyM)l acts?

I certainly never would have thought of metal and dubstep anywhere in the same region...I suppose it could be because most of the people I know of who like it look like the type that ten years ago would have been popping pills to trance or whatever...

MaltonNecromancer
06-08-2012, 07:16 PM
surly something industrial like rammstein, combi christ or the like would give you a relentless baseline?

Hence why Rammstein are one of my favourite bands. Their early work (and here I'm thinking of the "Lost Highway" soundtrack) was a bit of a misstep, but the "Mutter" album is one of the greatest ever written. Combichrist... not so much. There needs to be a tune there.

I certainly never would have thought of metal and dubstep anywhere in the same region...I suppose it could be because most of the people I know of who like it look like the type that ten years ago would have been popping pills to trance or whatever...

I tend to go on how music sounds rather than what the teenieboppers who enjoy it look. I have no interest in being mainstream, but I have even less interest in being part of some damn niche. I'll like what I like because I like it, and show up to everything wearing the same three piece suit and tie. I've always enjoyed the irony of a counterculture of rugged individualists who don't want to be judged on how they look, but who seem to get off on judging people on how they look. I always used to wonder if they handed out the battered leather jackets and chains at the door of the nightclub.

Back on topic, and frankly dubstep has some great songs. Nero's "Symphony 2808" is an absolute masterpiece.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-11-2012, 01:14 AM
I suppose Pendulum went a bit dubstep-y and I didn't mind, whatever Muse do will probably be awesome. I can't imagine that Matt Bellamy has gone sh!t.

Psychosplodge
06-11-2012, 01:33 AM
Hence why Rammstein are one of my favourite bands. Their early work (and here I'm thinking of the "Lost Highway" soundtrack) was a bit of a misstep, but the "Mutter" album is one of the greatest ever written. Combichrist... not so much. There needs to be a tune there.

I tend to go on how music sounds rather than what the teenieboppers who enjoy it look. I have no interest in being mainstream, but I have even less interest in being part of some damn niche. I'll like what I like because I like it, and show up to everything wearing the same three piece suit and tie. I've always enjoyed the irony of a counterculture of rugged individualists who don't want to be judged on how they look, but who seem to get off on judging people on how they look. I always used to wonder if they handed out the battered leather jackets and chains at the door of the nightclub.

Back on topic, and frankly dubstep has some great songs. Nero's "Symphony 2808" is an absolute masterpiece.

It didn't sound any better did it? essentially I just don't like it, but I'm never going to have a proper chance to change my mind if I can't see it live without feeling like I'd get stabbed anywhere that plays it...

I suppose Pendulum went a bit dubstep-y and I didn't mind, whatever Muse do will probably be awesome. I can't imagine that Matt Bellamy has gone sh!t.

I'm not sure, but I think they tailor their live act to the audience, cause when I saw them the other year at download there was far more guitar sound than I expected.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Who? Pendulum?
If so, yeah, I've seen them a couple of times and they were different both times. Whether that's due to either inconsistency or musical tailoring I have no idea.

They're always good though.

DrLove42
06-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Pendulum played our Union a few times and did quite a mixed list.

As for Muse, i'm generally against dubstep, but I liked the trailer sound

I see it as there 2 types of dubstep - Those made from real music and edited, and those made by a hipster and a laptop sound board.

FYI tickets for Muses UK tour go on sale later this week. And I'll be going :P

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Hah, Hipsters make me LOL. :D

DrLove42
06-11-2012, 03:33 AM
For anyone who hasn't heard it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqFZGnfMLMw

I've lsitened to it a few times now. And I likes it. But the top Youtube commenter makes a good point (for once) about it for those who don't

OMG, don't worry about the dubstep part

Did all of Showbiz sound all country NO

Did all of Origin of Symmetry all have piano NO, was it all Hard Rock NO

Did all of Absolution have high pitched guitar notes NO

Did Black Holes and Revelations all sound like Supermassive Black Hole **** NO,

Did all of The Resistance have slap bass or Orchestral music NO

Will all of The Second Law have Dubstep in it promise it won't ;D

they said they will have bongos and Hard Rock Guitar in it

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Good point, as I've mentioned previously, I'll just withhold all judgement until I have the cd in my hands and play it all.

dwez
06-11-2012, 06:13 AM
I straddle the metal/dubstep divide being a Pitchshifetr fan I was always into a little more elctronica with my heavy music anyway, now they were a band ahead of their time! Anyway I'll go check out the trailer with enthusiasm. However, if your struggling to come to terms with a change in their sound then I recommend the TV Series Metal Evolution (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1978940/) [just finishing up on Sky Arts] If ever there were some cautionary tails of movements not evolving - Hair/Glam Metal - and other forms evolving [nee mutating] nu-metal, then it's worth a watch.

Without evolution bands stagnate and essentially become a 'best-of' nostalgia troupe. You can say many things about Muse but they have always had classic songs on every release and I've no doubt there will be more songs from them that I will hear for the first time and wonder in disbelief why it had never been written before!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-11-2012, 06:18 AM
I've no doubt there will be more songs from them that I will hear for the first time and wonder in disbelief why it had never been written before!

Because Matt Bellamy is a genius.

Psychosplodge
06-11-2012, 06:47 AM
of course bands sound evolve or die, but should still be recognisable by their fans, lets look at two example of "nu-metal"

Slipknot: every album has a distinctly different sound, yet identifiably theirs

Korn: ^ would have said the same as that, but their last album sounds so far removed from anything else they've done it isn't immediately identifiable as theirs, surly that's the point where you question the direction they've taken?

dwez
06-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Korn: ^ would have said the same as that, but their last album sounds so far removed from anything else they've done it isn't immediately identifiable as theirs, surly that's the point where you question the direction they've taken?

Maybe, Johnathan Davies was reported in some interviews to claim to have been dubstep all along. Then again I think the dubstep genre covers quite a lot of ground, I'm not a complete afficianado but I like a lot of what I hear but I think there's quite a difference between what is currently seen as dubstep - Skrillex and his nob twiddling electronic blurts and bass and some of the other types of dubstep which is less to do with noise and more to do with the bass.

Ultimately you will only question the direction if its moved beyond what you enjoy. In which case feel free to feel let down, there's no shame in that, however the alternative is to trust what the band is doing and make a leap of faith with them. Regardless you will always have the back catalogue and your tastes will change too, even if a band stays the same doesn't mean we'll still like the same music again and again.

Meanwhile I like the teaser.

Psychosplodge
06-12-2012, 01:34 AM
I know, we didn't go the last tour, cause they couldn't be trusted just to play the old stuff lol.

But Jonathan Davis certainly didn't come across as dubstep when he toured on his own with just a backing band, playing stuff from queen of the damned and some of korn's most popular stuff....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 01:40 AM
I hope that Muse release a single for this soon, I can't wait to hear it.

I've never listened to Korn, therefore I've never been let down by them.

Psychosplodge
06-12-2012, 01:45 AM
lol

well it makes good burlesque music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9dtZusMhmU)...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 01:48 AM
I bet that's amusing, I'll watch it when I can get on an un-blocked internet. :(

Psychosplodge
06-12-2012, 01:48 AM
It's only youtube lol

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 01:53 AM
I'm actually surprised that I can get on here at work! xD

Psychosplodge
06-12-2012, 02:04 AM
lol
That's sounds practically inhumane...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Trust me, it is... I can't get on Warseer, GW, FW, but somehow I can get on Black Library. I can't even go on Wikias. I really want to go on Elder Scrolls wiki.

Wolfshade
06-12-2012, 02:18 AM
The last company I worked for you could do facebook and other social media but not youtube (not that it was blocked, it was against the acceptable use policy), that's been replaced with youtube being allowed but no social media sites nor cartoons

Psychosplodge
06-12-2012, 02:18 AM
That's what works for, reading wikis so you can get on with the game in the evening...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 02:23 AM
That, and for taking a shedload of notes for your roleplaying group. :D

Wolfshade
06-12-2012, 02:37 AM
And using their colour layzer printer :)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Yep! :D

Psychosplodge
06-12-2012, 03:33 AM
For some reason I've got a sudden liking for country (http://youtu.be/e1-bLmjLHlQ)...

DrLove42
06-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Got tickets to see Muse in Brum in October! Winning

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 06:14 AM
I'm going to get some methinks!

DrLove42
06-14-2012, 06:17 AM
They went on sale this morning....

Wolfshade
06-14-2012, 06:24 AM
We had to delay a meeting today as my boss had to buy some

Psychosplodge
06-14-2012, 06:29 AM
lol best excuse ever, regardless of band
"Hang on I need to buy *band name* tickets, then we can work"

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Knew that I'd forgotten something. GAY.

dwez
06-28-2012, 04:26 AM
New Muse track Survival - the Official London 2012 Olympic song was premièred last night on Zane Lowe's Radio 1 show. There's also an interview where they reveal the teaser song is the only song that has a dub step influence and the remaining songs are much more diverse and groove based.

6 days left to check it out here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b01k0b23

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-30-2012, 06:02 PM
It's such a good song, love the choir and the orchestra. Such a good sync of different music styles.

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Meh, it's been done before...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-02-2012, 01:54 AM
What?

Psychosplodge
07-02-2012, 01:58 AM
Choirs and orchestras supporting a band...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-02-2012, 02:00 AM
Oh, well of course, even Muse have done this before.
I meant the style in this particular song, it all fits together very well and is a bit funky.
Love the guitar in it.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-18-2012, 02:45 AM
All natural and technological processes proceed in such a way that the availability of the remaining energy decreases.
In all energy exchanges, if no energy enters or leaves an isolated system, the entropy of that system increases.

Energy continuously flows from being concentrated, to becoming dispersed, spread out, wasted and useless.
New energy cannot be created and high grade energy is being destroyed. An economy based on endless growth is...
Un-sus-tain-able!
Un-sus...

Unsustain, unsustain-able
Unsustainable, unsustainable

You're un-sus-tain-able!

Unsustainable, unsustainable, unsustainable

Ooh ooh
Ooh Uuuh
Uuuh Ouhh

The fundamental laws of thermodynamics will place fixed limits on technological innovation and human advancement.
In an isolated system the entropy can only increase. A species set on endless growth is... Un-sus-tain-able!

Un-sus...
You're un-sus-tain-able! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF_xdvn52As)

DrLove42
08-21-2012, 02:43 AM
Madness.

Not sure on it yet, its a bit wierd. Growing on me the longer i listen, but just not sure.

If anyone is interested i'm talking about the new single, Madness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9zhpBweDk

Psychosplodge
08-21-2012, 02:45 AM
doh I thought you meant Madness had released a new single...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-21-2012, 02:48 AM
I like it.
That is all.

DrLove42
08-21-2012, 02:53 AM
Hmm...the more is listen to it the more I do, but still never going to be a favourite. Its just a bit too wierd.

Survival and Unsustainable I love, the album is going to be great

Psychosplodge
08-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Now if it had been another Madness single...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-21-2012, 02:57 AM
A very good finish to the song, very Blues-y, a vast compliment of musical styles combined.

So, what is everyone's favourite Muse song of all time then?

Psychosplodge
08-21-2012, 05:03 AM
When they release a good one I'll tell you :p

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Get out.

DrLove42
08-21-2012, 05:08 AM
LOL

I'm a fan of the old stuff, I wish they'd play more. Things like Muscle Museum and Sunburn and Showbiz. But Resistance, Uprising, Survival...all the new stuff is good

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
08-21-2012, 05:14 AM
I'm big on Absolution, my personal favourite Muse song would have to be.... Hysteria or Thoughts of a Dying Atheist.