PDA

View Full Version : Craftworld or Corsair? THIS is the question

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Good afternoon,

So yeah, I couldn't be arsed with Dark Eldar, too many conflicting choices.
I decided that their non-sadistic cousins would better suit my desire to paint a nice, bright, colour scheme on a good range of models.

So what I'm going with is, mainly white armour (as seen in white dwarf) and dark blue as a secondary colour (swap it over on tanks). Kind of a Pre-Heresy World Eater-esque colour scheme if I think about it.

If I go with Craftworld then the name will be Xianxi-Ail (shawn-see aye-eel), can't think of a Piratical name for the Corsairs as of yet.

Throatpunch
06-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Personally, I am really intrigued by Corsairs. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get my hands on the IA for the rules as of yet. I think going Corsairs would give you the opportunity to field a fairly unique army.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-06-2012, 08:16 AM
I do have IA11 at home. I had written a list from it ages ago but it didn't seem that original to me, I'll have another look at it tonight.

Throatpunch
06-07-2012, 08:35 AM
I was referred to this thread, check it out for some good information on Corsairs.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/441824.page#4154604

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Gah, can't get on DakkaDakka at work. I'll have to have a look at it on the weekend.
Thanks for the link though, appreciate it. :)

Cherub
06-07-2012, 09:10 AM
I would go corsair, the rules for them is pretty sweet. venoms? check jump pack equipped troops? check awesome new units? check can take a unit from eaither the craftworld or the dark codex? check

do corsair think of all the modeling options you can do

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-07-2012, 09:15 AM
check can take a unit from eaither the craftworld or the dark codex? check

That would automatically be Striking Scorpions!

DrLove42
06-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I like Corsairs. I even wrote a review of the army that made it to the front page.

But their only problem is their best ukits (hornets, warp hunters, wasps, nightwings & phoenixes are all usable in a craftworld army. And craftworlders have better HQs, elites and troops options.

Corsairs can give you lots of falcons. Or lots of fast jetpack infantry with heavy weapons. But craftworlders, despite their age are better, particularly as I said with the best bits from the armies that can be shared.

IM currently using a craftworld army with the named Farseer from IA11, 2 warp hunters, a wraithseer, 2 wraithlords and 3 hornets. And it works a treat.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-07-2012, 09:55 AM
That named Farseer is a douche, I must admit. 4 Heavy Support and no repercussions? He's more of a d!ck than Eldrad (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Eldrad). :D

Levitas
06-07-2012, 09:59 AM
I posed myself the same question!

I concluded that I wanted both. Flexible units that could cross over both dexes. My issue with Corsairs is that I had a lot of local tourney organizers tell me I couldn't use the dex for competitive play.

Also want to see what 6th rolls out. I already have Dark Eldar, and they are a ton of fun. Their craftworld kin just need a new dex.

DrLove42
06-07-2012, 10:01 AM
There are reprecussions. You cant take any other farseers. He doesnt have some of the best physic powers (doom or guide) or the best antiphysker upgrade ever (runes of warding). Also limits you to 4 troops only. But he does grant stubborn and ha e an AP2 1 shot heavy flamer :-P

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-08-2012, 01:04 AM
I suppose... 4 Wraithlords is amusing though.

Archon Charybdis
06-08-2012, 02:39 PM
As Dr. Love pointed out already, both sets of rules share a lot of units already, and some of those that aren't directly shared have something analogous (Prince and Autarch, Corsairs and Guardians/Dire Avengers). The biggest discrepancy is really in the Aspect units being largely unavailable to Corsairs, though you can take a single Eldar Elite or FA choice in a Corsairs army, so you can get some of those models in as well.

The craftworld probably has more unique models with Aspect Warriors, Wraithlords, and Support Weapons, while the Corsairs have the Corsair troops and Venoms. I think basic Corsair troops have better options and more ways to play between Jet Packs, WWPs, and the option of Venoms or Falcons as far as meching up, whereas most effective Craftworld lists involve bunches of Dire Avengers in Wave Serpents.

But yeah, I'd let your interest in the models be your guide as to what to purchase, because it's not terribly difficult to play an army counts-as one way or the other.