PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Heavy Support and Tactic

Panxer
06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
So what's your favorite heavy support choice and what do you like to do with it?

Me? Tau: Either field broadsides and watch my enemy dedicate their entire shooting phase to trying to kill them while the rest of the forces maneuver for a better line of fire. bwahahaha... or Max out on hammerheads and throw slugs downrange until my opponent is foot slogging, then using submunitions to eat up the rest.

Merc Guard: Manticores. I've learned recently that manticores can fire directly! So what makes your opponent deposit in their pants? Two manticores brought in from reserves and both fired directly with good line of sight.

What do you like to do?

celestialatc
06-05-2012, 11:03 AM
I know people forgot about him because of the dreadnought but the GK Dreadknight can be a lot of fun on the board in a friendly game.

The teleporter with Heavy Incinerator is the best option and watching an opponent's face as the H.Incinerator kills a tank is hilarious!

ElectricPaladin
06-05-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm a big fan of Tau Hammerheads and Broadsides myself - Broadsides especially. However, they work really well in tandem, especially against mechanized forces. The Broadsides pop the transport, the Hammerhead drops a pie plate on the troops that pile out.

robrodgers46
06-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Nothing beats Long Fangs. But my favorite is the vanilla Russ. I can't count the number of games that battle cannon has won for me.

r

Wolfshade
06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
BA Vindicators, everyone love fast ordanance

Saint_Anger
06-05-2012, 08:41 PM
For my Chaos Space Marines is definitely the Defiler!! And if you ask for two choices, I says Defiler and Vindicator :cool:

Brandoncbaker
06-05-2012, 08:53 PM
To be original.hows about the good ole Whirlwind

Gir
06-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I love the standard predator with lascannon sponsons. Take them as BA, and negate the table with 4 high range, high powered shots.

khsrio621
06-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I love the Exorcist. I present the following arguments.

Argument 1: It is a pipe organ on top of a tank.
Argument 2: Random missiles!
Argument 3: See Part 1.

Eberk
06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Ork Battlewagon (off course :) )

Either with a Deathrolla and a Kanon loaded with Nobz or with Grabbin' Klaw loaded with Tankbustas (for some serious Tank hunting :D)

Tactic is full throttle heading for the enemy line blasting with as much as possible (the ork way :D )

robrodgers46
06-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Anything on a rhino chassis is just too easy to disable. Same goes for the Battlewagon. But the thread is "favorite" not "best" so keep rolling those glass cannons out there. :)

r

L192837465
06-06-2012, 01:13 PM
10 havocs, 4 with meltaguns, an icon, champ with a powerfist and meltagun, and rhino with a combimelta and a havoc launcher.

Absolute hilarity.

Deadlift
06-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Obliterators, completely love their fluff and the in game flexibility. But coolness factor I think a Heavy Bolter equipped dev squad takes some beating in looks.

Kawauso
06-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Okay, let's see if I can't go through each of my armies in turn; that will at least make this easier...

Necrons- Hard to say because I've had so little time to play with the new models/book. The Monolith was awesome yesteryear, and it's still good if not awesomely indestructible, but I've got a feeling the Doomsday Ark is going to work its way into a soft spot of mine. Mmm, high strength pie plates.

Tactics? Uh...pie plates. :3 Find clumps of infantry and kaboom 'em. Or try and land a blast on a heavy tank that's bugging me. Going to take some getting used to treating the Monolith as more fragile, though.

Space Wolves- While I really like how my Predator Annihilator performs, Long Fangs are just too awesome. Rules-wise and fluff-wise. Bunch of hoary old veterans with big guns? Yes please. My squad runs 2 lascannons, 2 plasma cannons, a missile launcher and a plasma gun, and they always take a twin-linked lascannon Razorback. It's a sub-optimal points sink, and I love it.

Tactics? Hopefully set up in a good spot, outside of the transport. Use it as cover if need be, and augment the squad's firepower with its lascannon. Lascannons target heavy armour, plasma cannons (and gun, if in range) target light armour or, preferably, clumps of infantry, and the missile helps with whichever of the two targets has highest priority. If over the course of the game escape or redeployment is needed, the Razorback ensures that's possible, and usually it lasts quite late into the game since it tends to be hanging back out of the way.

Space Marines- I've gotten pretty good at using my solo Vindicator, but I think it's in need of a friend soon. Not just to provide more target saturation, but also because Vindicators are awesome.

Tactics? I tend to keep the bulk of my SM army bunched up fairly tight. The Vindi will typically lead the spearhead, but its side armour is always guarded by a Razorback or Dreadnought while also offers fire support. If my Land Raider is present, it will try to shield the Vindicator from the biggest ranged threats to it when possible. Most of the army tends to advance slowly as a whole, and the Vindi will target...whatever it needs to, really.

Tyranids- Trygons. Huge burrowing monsters that tear tanks and infantry to shreds, yep. <3 Though I do wish they were a bit tougher.

Tactics? Deep strike. Disrupt. Sow terror, and wreck havoc. I rarely ever move this guy up the board normally. I like when he shows up from reserve as he draws a lot of attention and tends to reinforce my swarm wherever a heavy hitter is needed. Also one time he showed up and zapped an unsuspecting Yriel to death with lightning. That was hilarious.

Imperial Guard- Is it unfair to just say 'Leman Russ'? If I have to be specific, I'll probably go with the Eradicator, believe it or not. S6 AP4 large blast ignoring cover is great against so many targets... It hurts missing out on the extra AT firepower but I've got some fond memories of the Eradicator Nova Cannon.

Tactics? Advance behind a wall of squishy Guardsmen, providing fire support, taking out the targets they can't, and getting the best mileage out of that AV14 possible.

Blood Angels- Stormravens are the only models I use here, due to the nature of my 'airborne' BA army. They're fun and effective, but a super high-profile target...it's hard to keep them around long, and they're pretty expensive for what they do. Still fun, mind you. Just a tricky unit to get the most mileage out of 'em.

Tactics? I tend to take the Stormraven with a very specific list in mind. Jumpers aside, the list contains 3 typhoon/heavy bolter Land Speeders, 2 Dreadnoughts of some sort (on the ravens) and 2 Stormravens with typhoon launchers and a TL lascannon. The ravens and speeders are there to provide long-range firepower as well as AT support, which are both things an all-jumpers list severely lacks. Early game they will all attempt to keep at the very edge of 48"...or even longer with the Stormravens (which have 72" bloodstrike missiles), and minimize incoming fire, while putting out as many missiles as they can. Between the 3 speeders and 2 ravens, that's 10 typhoon krak missiles and 8 one-time S8 AP1 bloodstrike missiles, at a potential 7 targets thanks to Power of the Machine Spirit. The Stormravens have their lascannons to contribute, too, if anything gets within 36". The idea is to try and cripple as much of my opponent's vehicles as possible, as quickly as possible, before surging forward with the entire army to take advantage of any weaknesses that there are to exploit in the aftermath.

Tau- Very little experience with the army as it's largely waiting on a new book. The only HS unit I have is a lone Hammerhead. Great unit, mind you, but I don't feel like I have much to say about it...would love to get my hands on some Broadsides when they cease to be a hybrid model...or maybe I should just grab the FW models. Waiting on a new book, either way.

Dark Eldar and Thousand Sons- Both armies are too small/underdeveloped/played to say; don't actually have any HS models for either.

entendre_entendre
06-07-2012, 02:24 AM
So what's your favorite heavy support choice and what do you like to do with it?

What do you like to do?
CSM: Defiler with extra CCW. 5 S10 attacks on the charge eats vehicles all day. Charge forwards and OMNOMNOM.
Also my Obliterator holds a special place in my warped heart, despite his ability to almost always miss with his lascannon. -.- I use my Oblit as stationary/semi-mobile fire support. Rarely do I teleport him in as I find I don't get my points worth with him doing that.

Guard: Manticore. Rain S10 Ordnance Barrage upon your foes, flatten hordes and wreck vehicles everyday while hiding in a corner lol.

L192837465
06-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Oh, I have another one:

3 Chaos Vindicators with deamonic possession. Deliciously fun, hurling that many ultra-high strength pie plates everywhere!

It's even better with a lash sorcerer!

alshrive
06-07-2012, 08:58 AM
personally, annihilation barge for the necrons! it is a crescent moon shaped Van Der Graaf generator, if it doesn't kill you the static will make your hair go funny at least!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-07-2012, 09:02 AM
crescent moon shaped Van Der Graaf generator

Nikola Tesla is insulted.

DAPHEEL
06-07-2012, 09:48 AM
For me it's got to be Templars, with 3 Vindicators with 'dozer blades and power of the machine spirit - 12" per turn (straight ahead), stunned/shaken doesn't phase them, barrels of fun.

DrLove42
06-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Wraithlors. Love em. Brilliant model too.

Most accurate bright lance in the army, and a massive bullet sponge. Doesnt get killed by 1 melta gun. Using the named Farseer from IA11, and a wraithseer im currently toying around with a list where i field 5 wraithlords....

thecactusman17
06-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Dark Eldar Voidraven. Load up with Monscythe (S6 AP5 Large Blast) missiles, find a target bubble wrapping their tanks with infantry against my Haywire Grenades, and fire all the missiles at the tank along with the two lances. The missiles are placed at the tank edge so as to maximize the number of infantry models they hit. In addition to causing numerous infantry casualties, I often kill the tank. I've killed tanks and wiped out whole infantry units simultaneously with this tactic. Pretty soon, my opponents are leaving their tanks exposed for my Haywire, sometimes allowing me to surround and kill everyone inside their transports by blocking the exits.

Tauownz
06-08-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm a Tau player and for heavy support I run 2-3 teams of broadsides. Group of 3 w/ shield drones and target locks bubble wrapped by kroot in the rear of my deployment. With a little help from tetras markerlighting units to up bs or removing cover...game over for any armor.

Uncle Nutsy
06-16-2012, 12:19 AM
tau: hammerheads (the new rules for the FW plasma look dead sexy) or; DE: ravagers that I can plop right behind a psyfleman. (surprise!!) three lances in the back gets me a nice boom. :D

tetras? I tried those guys out under the old rules. they were such a nuisance to my opponent and such fun for me. So when 6th hits, i'm going to try them out again using the new rules, with the required upgrade to make my opponent cry. Cover? nope. Armor? how do you like a seeker to the face? ballistic skill? every one is now at six. including that hammerhead that's staring at you.

egorene
06-16-2012, 09:05 AM
For my Mantis Warriors : Vindcator
Tactic : none , just seek out the largest concentration of GK terminators and hit them

Blood angels : Cybot with assault Cannon ,
Tactic : in combination with a stormraven , get him where he is needed and let him go

Chaos : Predator tl. Las , las - sponsons
tactic : just shoot , he rarely brings down less than his point value

Archon Charybdis
06-16-2012, 10:33 AM
One of my favorite HS options to run for Eldar is a squad of Dark Reapers with Tempest Launcher and Crackshot. Especially with a Guideseer nearby, the Exarch alone can wipe a squad of power armor every round. It's expensive (especially if you include a Farseer), and it's not a very effective unit against mech spam, but it's just one of those things when it lines up and you get a single model wiping out a whole unit of space marines every turn, it's an awful lot of fun.

Dorsai
06-16-2012, 11:27 AM
For my IG, I have become a real fan of my Hydra squadron. Transports just can't stand up to them, much less stay out of range. Combine them with a LR with Pask and an Executioner with plasma sponsons and people don't like being on the receiving end of that firepower.

Combine all that with two Vendettas flying around overhead and tanks and infantry tend to die.

bforber
06-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Manticore
Psyfleman or dreadknight with porter, heavy incinerator and sword, (watch as it wrecks)

Learn2Eel
06-19-2012, 05:03 PM
My favourite overall is the Defiler - I only have one for my Thousand Sons but it never disappoints. No-one else in the store aside from the store owners even owns one as far as I am aware, but everyone I face off against knows how devastating they are. Whether it dies in the first turn from a single missile-launcher, it blows up a squad in the open with its battle cannon, or it fleets and rips apart a tank or a squad that can't hurt it, this baby never fails me.

Case in point; in one of my first games, I faced off against a dual land-raider Black Templar list at 1500 points. Even though my Thousand Sons army as a whole lacked real anti-tank, especially in terms of dealing with Land Raiders, my Defiler strode up the field and munched a Land Raider after sitting back as my artillery. His Emperor's Champion and squad in the LR split off from each other - the Champ charged me from behind, forgetting I was a walker and that it made no difference. It was hilarious watching him do nothing against my Defiler - he stunned it but of course with daemonic possession I ignored it - and then chomping him. My Defiler killed around 500 points in that game - one that ended up as a draw.

JMichael
07-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Eldar: Night Spinner, Night Spinner, and 3 WarWalkers with Guideseer

Our gaming groups dreads my Night Spinners. Huge Range, twin linked, S6 rending and the difficult/dangerous terrain markers make them deadly on horde armies. But don't discount the rending on Space Marines.

Vs Dark Eldar the 3 WarWalkers with dual Scatter lasers puts out 24 S6 36" shots/turn. Add the guideseer and down goes Raiders.

gcsmith
07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Picking my tau army back up, and the changes to stealth generators, I think sniper drones (Even though they still don't have any of the rules for snipers like pick out the person you want to wound) will worm a way into my heart.

It frees my plasma suits up to deal with terminators.

DarkLink
07-03-2012, 06:27 PM
For my IG, I have become a real fan of my Hydra squadron. Transports just can't stand up to them, much less stay out of range.

Hydras have Skyfire now. They only hit ground units on 6's.

robrodgers46
07-09-2012, 10:34 AM
After the change to 6th, it's still the vanilla Russ, and it's Demolisher brother. However, I am now looking closely at the Exterminator and the Executioner. Put Pask in the Executioner and there is no light vehicle that will stand up to it. And the Executioner has Terminator Hunter written all over it.

Long Fangs seem to have taken a hit.

r

Aramel
07-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Dark Reaper Exarch with crack shot and tempest launcher. Losses taken from center of barrage template, AP 3, re-roll wounds, ignore cover, two shots. Character sniper! I also hide him behind an Aegis line with a quad gun for added protection and to murder flyers and those pesky wolf scouts that dare encroach on my rear!

Col.Straken
07-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Even though they are no-where near as unstoppable, I still love the Monolith. Having to Snapshot if you shoot the Particle whip, and not being able to Door out of combat, is a bit rubbish now, but it works great with my Night Scythe (if it blows up, I just pull them through the door. Plus I Door'ed the Swarmlord the other day... Moment of my life!

Bob821
07-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Its has to be Dark Reapers. There high weapon skill and the S6 AP3 of there launchs makes Marines shake in the power armoured boots. Thats before you add an Exarch that seems be to re-rolling everything and egnoring cover saves.