PDA

View Full Version : The Diamond Jubilee

SotonShades
06-05-2012, 06:12 AM
God Save the Queen.

For my 999th post, I felt it right to thank the Queen for her tireless services over the last six decades, both to our nation and the Commonwealth. Congratulations Elizabeth II. Long may you reign and happy may those years be.

For those of you who don't know, our Queen is only the second monarch in History to have achieved a Diamond Jubilee, following on from one of her relatives, Queen Victoria. This is such a special day that it really does deserve to be noted, regardless of whether you are a Royalist or not.

Mr Mystery
06-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Meh.

Not at all bothered by the whole thing. Monarchy or Republic, makes no difference to me. Though I must say the sudden upsurge in patriotism leaves me a little bit queasy.

Still, got nothing against the Queen, she is who she is, and not through choice.

Denzark
06-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Good shout Soton Shades.

eldargal
06-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Watched the boats, got rained on. Watched like two hundred republicans at their national gathering that was going to shake the monarchy to its foundations get drowned out by loyal subjects singing the national anthem, loled. Got rained on. Hosted a Jubilee luncheon, went to a Jubilee dinner. Didn't get rained on on account of dining inside.

God Save The Queen.

P.S. Read this on the Guardian of places:

It was the 'biggest republican gathering at a royal event,' he said.
'We will win this campaign,' he added, as a woman bedecked in red, white and blue walking past retorted 'no you bloody won't'.
Loled again.

Mr Mystery
06-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Until the Queen (or reigning Monarch) has any real Political clout (which they don't. Good old Magna Carta!) then the Republicans are arguing a moot point.

Queeny and family are useful ambassadors, and when you work out the numbers they bring in the bacon rather than being a money sink. Until that changes, why seek to remove or replace them?

And in case anyone fancies an educational knees up.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4x0K2Y7kPw

eldargal
06-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Well, to quote someone or other, possible Winston Churchill, the monarchy is important not for the power it wields but the power it denies other. They aren't supposed to have real power and haven't since we invented constitutional monarchy in the 17th century. The great irony is that most republican presidents have far more power and far fewer checks on that power than our Monarchs.:rolleyes:

On the subject of expenses, the monarchy costs around forty million pounds a year. The profit from the Crown Estates, granted to th guvmint in return for paying for the monarchy, amounts to over two hundred million pounds a year. So it doesn't cost the taxpayer a damned thing.

Psychosplodge
06-05-2012, 09:46 AM
I know I wouldn't want to pay that level of tax...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-06-2012, 01:15 AM
I hate taxes, it must be said.

Wolfshade
06-06-2012, 02:17 AM
It was good to see all the bellringing :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-06-2012, 02:29 AM
The Bell of Lost Souls rang too many times for my liking.

WorldDustLeague
06-06-2012, 06:12 AM
our Queen is only the second monarch in History to have achieved a Diamond Jubilee, following on from one of her relatives, Queen Victoria. This is such a special day that it really does deserve to be noted, regardless of whether you are a Royalist or not.

I hope you mean "only the second British Monarch", otherwise there is a long list of Monarchs who would like a word with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-reigning_monarchs

Denzark
06-06-2012, 10:35 AM
There is absolutely nothing unclear about his statement, what did you take it to mean in Swahili?

SotonShades
06-07-2012, 02:23 AM
I hope you mean "only the second British Monarch", otherwise there is a long list of Monarchs who would like a word with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-reigning_monarchs

I guess my sources of information were inaccurate then lol. To be fair, I doubt Rama IX is going to come find me to give me a personal ticking off. And if the others come back from the dead... well, I have been haunted before. Not a pleasent experience, but nothing I can't handle.

Wolfshade
06-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Or contextually you were speaking about the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth

Psychosplodge
06-07-2012, 05:59 AM
It was somwat obvious given the content of the thread...

also this seems appropriate...

http://hackedirl.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/epic-win-photos-british-tank-win.jpg