PDA

View Full Version : Necron Wraith Counters?

Cadre
06-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Greetings,

I and a few others at my local club are having extreme difficulty with Necron Wraiths, especially in numbers.

I hesitate to call any unit broken, but again my armies in particular; both their resilience and capacities seem to be in extreme excess of their points cost.

Most units and armies in 40k, regardless of overall balance seem to have some form of hard counter. That is, a method of dealing with them that come out well ahead in efficiency in terms of both time (turns) and points invested. Even the "worst" Grey Knights lists are oddly weak to certain Tau builds, I find. I find a sort of comfort in that.

However, many armies lack anything approaching a hard counter to wraiths.
This would be fine, if it were possible to ignore them or tie them up. However, this has not worked well for me or others, locally.

When I think of them I cannot help but to think that it is wildly inefficient to throw anti-tank at them in the hopes of double-toughing them, with a few exceptions of armies that can acquire it cheaply and in volume. (Dakkadreads, for example) Good for those armies, but I don't have it.

I have also heard it said that TH-SS termies work well. I imagine they would. However, I don't play marines. They are oddly absent in our local area. (in volume, anyway)

What I see in a unit of 6 wraiths is 12 T4 3+ wounds. This seems to call out for volume. However, this seems to be unreliable due to wound allocation. The likelihood of remaining wraiths is high, and their trip across the table is typically not long enough for attrition to play a role.

In my DE, I can see a shattershard being extremely useful. Though not extremely reliable, what it kills, it kills. I also run a 20 man warrior squad with the duke. That's volume of fire, but typically not quite enough for this kind of heavy lifting.

In my Tau, I have a volume of fire deficiency. The list makes extreme sacrifices in terms of low-end volume for mid range quality and reliability. (missile pods are my go-to gun) Tau have no way of getting high strength in volume for anything approaching an efficient investment, and the speed of the wraiths makes it extremely difficult to avoid them in most deployments.

Anywho, what I am really asking for is what you people do when you come across wraiths. Am I just having bad luck, or are they as bad as my experience suggests?

Demonus
06-05-2012, 07:56 AM
If you are playing DE, Volume of Fire is the way to kill Wraiths. Sheer weight of numbers of dice thrown will eventually roll 1s or 2s and lead to dead wraiths. You will lose some guys in close combat due to whip coils, but if you are using wyches, you will kill a bunch too, especially if you get the charge.

whip wraiths are 45 pts a piece. how many are wyches?

Kawauso
06-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Volume of fire should help a lot - and you're DE, so you have lots of lances, right? Those will ID Wraiths so that should keep wound allocation shenanigans at bay.

Wraiths are really good, but they're only about as tough as TH/SS terminators; 2 wounds, sure, but it's pretty easy to make models fail a 3+ save if you throw lots of shots at them.

Shardcarbines or splinter cannons would probably be pretty good against them, too, and DE can field a lot of those through Trueborn, Scourges and Venoms.

If it's a large unit of Wraiths, the Necron player has spent a lot of points on them and they're effectively a death star combat unit of sorts, so focusing lots of firepower on them is probably what it's going to take, but it will be worth it if you can take out that big, tough, dedicated CC unit. Such a big point investment is going to be a pretty important part of the army so focus on taking it out first; particularly if it's causing you problems. The other threats can wait until you've taken care of the Wraiths.

I don't know the whole story so maybe my advice isn't that useful, but here's hoping it's somewhat helpful!

Ketharim
06-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Completely agree with volume of fire solution. I just yesterday played with my Necrons vs Orks and even so my 3 Wraiths put down 1 Unit easily in CC, they were obliterated by the Orks in the following shooting phase simply because my opponents Killablastaz spat out an amount of shots to let me fail enough of my 3++ throws.