PDA

View Full Version : New white dry compound

Toaster36
05-31-2012, 07:00 PM
I've been playing around with a paint scheme for my necrons and trying to refine/simplify how I do white so I picked up a pot of the Praxeti White dry compound and noticed that it went on very...grainy (I guess it the best way to put it).

Has anyone else experienced this with dry compounds? Any tips on how to to make the application a bit smoother or a better, easier way to do white?

inquisitorsog
05-31-2012, 07:19 PM
It's definitely got the grainy appearance. However "clumpy" is probably a more accurate description.

This is the result of lots of pigment particles and very little medium to suspend those particles. And yes, it's a little bit fiddly to work with, but the greater control of the amount of paint on the brush may be worth it in the end.

What follows is based on more of me using Hexos Palesun and Kindleflame rather than Praxeti. Also I've really only completed about 8 Nobz with the new paints and only used the dries for a very few ultra highlights. And did I mention they're a bit fiddly to work with? Your mileage may vary more than usual:

Just like you're [maybe] used to with traditional dry brushing with standard paints, I find I need to load a little bit on the brush and then wipe most of it off. That not only gets rid of excess pigment, but also helps get a more even distribution by smoothing those clumps out. The main difference between this and traditional paints is that you get a bit more control. From there, I also use a quite light touch and so far use more control than I would normally dry brushing.

I also find the brush needs to be just a slight bit(oh so slight) damp to get those clumps to really smooth out. I mean VERY slightly damp... as in virtually dry.

And in the end, I'm not exactly superman when it comes to painting, so take all that with a grain of dry compound.