PDA

View Full Version : Don't know who to start

celestialatc
05-30-2012, 10:46 AM
So I want to get started with Warmachine and Hordes but I guess I am not too sure on who to start.

I have narrowed it down to Legion of Everblight, Retribution and Cygnar. I think I really want to go with Legion to start and do Retribution next year. My question is, are Legion at least entertaining? I know it might take some time to get used to them but will they be a fun army to start?

Also how many points can I play with the starter box and how easily is it to get to 25 points?

mikethefish
05-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Oh the Legion is certainly quite fun to play, and if they are the ones who appeal to you the most, then by all means give them a shot! They kind of have a steep learning curve, but then all the factions do really so thats not new

For practical consideration, the starter set is 11 points, so getting to 25 is a cinch. Speaking personally, I would probably shoot for one more beast (recommend a Seraphim or one of the Nephilim), and then a unit of infantry (recommend either Striders or Hex Hunters) and maybe a solo if you like (probably a Forsaken or a Shepherd)

celestialatc
05-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Oh the Legion is certainly quite fun to play, and if they are the ones who appeal to you the most, then by all means give them a shot! They kind of have a steep learning curve, but then all the factions do really so thats not new

For practical consideration, the starter set is 11 points, so getting to 25 is a cinch. Speaking personally, I would probably shoot for one more beast (recommend a Seraphim or one of the Nephilim), and then a unit of infantry (recommend either Striders or Hex Hunters) and maybe a solo if you like (probably a Forsaken or a Shepherd)

I was also thinking of getting Angelius and the Blighted Swordsmen, would that not be recommended.

Also the Forsaken unit just looks awesome.

tonyzahn
05-30-2012, 01:18 PM
I was also thinking of getting Angelius and the Blighted Swordsmen, would that not be recommended.

Also the Forsaken unit just looks awesome.
Angelius is definitely a good beast to have. It's cheaper (points-wise) than the Carnivean, fast, and has a nasty armor-piercing attack.

The Blighted Swordsmen are very good too. They're not as sexy as some of the other infantry (no stealth or pathfinder), but they're fearless and hit plenty hard.

fuzzbuket
05-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Spesh mahreens for teh empera!!!

celestialatc
05-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Spesh mahreens for teh empera!!!

I know I feel like I am betraying my GK, CSM and Eldar but I just see so many people having fun in the WarMachine/Hordes world and I want a piece of it!

So who would you all recommend for a Warlock for a beginner? Is Lylyth a great starting Warlock and just wait a few games until I am comfortable with her to try others?

wittdooley
05-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Do you have the starter box?

celestialatc
05-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Do you have the starter box?

Just about to order it.

wittdooley
05-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Just about to order it.

Let me save you some money; I got a Legion starter at adepticon. I have no plans on EVERY playing the faction. I'd like to keep Lylth to paint her, but you're welcome to the Carnifex and the Shredders.

PM me your mailing addy and I'll ship em out to you, and then you can chose whatever 'lock you'd like.

celestialatc
05-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Let me save you some money; I got a Legion starter at adepticon. I have no plans on EVERY playing the faction. I'd like to keep Lylth to paint her, but you're welcome to the Carnifex and the Shredders.

PM me your mailing addy and I'll ship em out to you, and then you can chose whatever 'lock you'd like.

Wow, thanks Wittdooley! I sent you a PM!

tonyzahn
05-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Congrats on the free starter!

Lylith isn't a bad starter, but she's got a very limited spell list and tiny command area. If you're getting the starter with no warlock I'd recommend pThagrosh. He's relatively resilient, has some good buffs/debuffs, and in small games his feat (resurrect 1 dead warbeast at full health) is just plain mean.

Searyn would probably be my second choice for a starter warlock.

Edit: By pThagros I mean the non-epic verson. Not the big model with wings, but the smaller one. I'm too used to the shorthand used on the privateer forums.

celestialatc
06-01-2012, 04:50 AM
Congrats on the free starter!

Lylith isn't a bad starter, but she's got a very limited spell list and tiny command area. If you're getting the starter with no warlock I'd recommend pThagrosh. He's relatively resilient, has some good buffs/debuffs, and in small games his feat (resurrect 1 dead warbeast at full health) is just plain mean.

Searyn would probably be my second choice for a starter warlock.

Edit: By pThagros I mean the non-epic verson. Not the big model with wings, but the smaller one. I'm too used to the shorthand used on the privateer forums.

Yea pThagrosh will probably be my first warlock. I will probably get an Angelius, one or two forsaken, a unit of blighted swordmen, and blighted archies. That seems like a good variety of units to start. Anything else I should look into for Legion? Is there an awesome unit that I should really learn to use?

wittdooley
06-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Yea pThagrosh will probably be my first warlock. I will probably get an Angelius, one or two forsaken, a unit of blighted swordmen, and blighted archies. That seems like a good variety of units to start. Anything else I should look into for Legion? Is there an awesome unit that I should really learn to use?

FYI Mailed out yesterday.

Hex Hunters seem to be pretty popular in our meta. They are buff deniers that wreak havoc on upkeep spells, IIRC.

tonyzahn
06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Personally, I'd recommend Striders over Archers. Archers aren't bad, but they ideally want to stand still and shoot, which is odd in a faction as mobile as Legion. Striders are a lot better at the "shoot 'n scoot" style.

I think the unit is less $$ too :)

celestialatc
06-01-2012, 08:43 PM
FYI Mailed out yesterday.

Hex Hunters seem to be pretty popular in our meta. They are buff deniers that wreak havoc on upkeep spells, IIRC.

Thanks so much wittdooley!

And you are right, I might have to get some hex hunters. They seem like a really good unit.

Personally, I'd recommend Striders over Archers. Archers aren't bad, but they ideally want to stand still and shoot, which is odd in a faction as mobile as Legion. Striders are a lot better at the "shoot 'n scoot" style.

I think the unit is less $$ too :)

Good advice and I do want to stay mobile. I'll look into Striders!

Infinite Freedom
07-14-2012, 10:53 PM

If you're going Thagrosh, don't hesitate to pick up his personal beast. Typhon and pThagrosh are a nasty combo. People I've faced have treated Typhon like a live grenade that was just shoved into their hand with the pin pulled. They either spend a lot of resources to take him down or they avoid him until they have no choice. When he's with pThagrosh it's often the latter.