PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of the Imperial Palace diorama.

eldargal
05-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Someone posted a little pic of this on Warseer and it reminded me how damned cool it was:
http://www.sodemons.com/gwmuseum/chaosatt2.jpg
It used to be up at Warhammer World I believe, not sure if it still is or not. Made 1998-2002, I forget precisely when.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-28-2012, 09:31 AM
I remember this!
No idea if it's still there, but I'm going to Nottingham in August. Hopefully it will be.

DrLove42
05-28-2012, 09:56 AM
If it is still there, its hidden in the back rooms. I was there not 2 month ago. They've got the awesome Space Wolf fortress and Nids assault that was at Gamesday afew year back in the window though. And thats beautiful

musical-fool
05-28-2012, 10:53 AM
It must have been huge! I take it is all in the 40k 28mm scale and not the epic scale?

Does any one else have any images of this?

Seeing this and thinking of the above mentioned SW vs Nid theatres, just makes me wonder what the folks at GW HQ are thinking up for GD this year!

Monkey Tom
05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Aaaahhh...that takes me back. I remember seeing it at gamesday199? (I'm old now so it's easy to forget!)

It was awesome!

I loved the big displays they used to do each year. Not so much when I started working for the company though. We always had to spend the summer painting a ton of models for them!

Cpt Codpiece
05-28-2012, 11:39 AM
indeed it was a geat piece of work, but according to fluff it was flawed.
wasnt there an imperator titan supposedly standing over the gate? granted this may not be 'that' gate butr im sure it is supposed to be :)

still though the man power to put that together must have been crazy. i imagine it would have been like the ultra marines display where each shop had to paint up a section then they were all put together at games day to create the entire chapter. again this was in the late 90's early 20ks

fuzzbuket
05-28-2012, 11:55 AM
indeed it was a geat piece of work, but according to fluff it was flawed.
wasnt there an imperator titan supposedly standing over the gate? granted this may not be 'that' gate butr im sure it is supposed to be :)

still though the man power to put that together must have been crazy. i imagine it would have been like the ultra marines display where each shop had to paint up a section then they were all put together at games day to create the entire chapter. again this was in the late 90's early 20ks

this was befor titans were mainstream *puts on hipster glasses* and really a scale impertirators foot would take up 1/8th of that board alone :P

Cpt Codpiece
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
this was befor titans were mainstream *puts on hipster glasses* and really a scale impertirators foot would take up 1/8th of that board alone :P

yeah, that was my point :) still a great diorama and probably one of the best that GW have done.

SotonShades
05-28-2012, 03:11 PM
I always love seeing this. I remember back when warhammer world had a museum with lifesize dioramas (vividly recall the ork mek using a stikkbomb as a door stop!) and a couple of huge dioramas; this, one of Catachans fighting Dark Angels and one of Undead storming an Empire town. That tells you how long ago I went, given that Undead were still a single army.

It really is a shame that this isn't on display any more as it is a truely awesome inspiration. Especially when they told us about the titans being made out of waching machine parts and the like. Will try to dredge my memory for any of the other facts about any of the dioramas.

Psychosplodge
05-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Is battle at big toof river still there? or the the full ultra marine chapter?

I really ought to have another trip, not been for yonks...

Belial69
05-30-2012, 01:34 AM
You have to try and spot the Easter eggs in the huge dioramas. For example the one with undead attacking the empire town, there is a hidden vindicare assassin in, if I remember rightly, a bell tower :)

RGilbert26
05-30-2012, 05:09 AM
The Forgeworld one for the new IA book had a Snowman somewhere within it.

Gir
05-30-2012, 06:48 AM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20549809.jpg
And imperiator is only 33% bigger then a Warlord.

archimbald
05-30-2012, 09:20 AM
again this was in the late 90's early 20ks

sing it with me " everybody do the time warp, the time warp"

eldargal
05-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Did someone mention the Fang diorama?
http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx261/wiplash911/IMG_1376.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/Fenrisianspirit/GDUK/Picture006.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/Fenrisianspirit/GDUK/Picture009.jpg

Meph
05-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Good stuff! If it's still in Nottingham, I might catch it. I'm going to the Librarium Online meet during the first week of august. ^^

SotonShades
05-31-2012, 02:10 AM
I believe it is still sitting in the window next to the Main Entrance at Warhammer World.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-31-2012, 03:39 AM
I'm going to Nottingham in late August with alshrive for much party times!
Nerdy stag do for the win.