PDA

View Full Version : Free Army List Building Software - BattleScribe

gravengames
05-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Hi All,

I've been using this free program for a while to build lists for a range of wargames, as it works very well. I was surprised recently when most of one of my groups of friends hadn't even heard of it, so I have put up a review & screenshots on my website to spread the word:

http://gravengames.co.uk/battlescribe-roster-editor-review/

Is anyone else already using this?

**Edit** Some of the users below seem to have gotten the wrong impression, I have nothing to do with the kind people who design and update BattleScribe, I just thought it was a great tool that more people should know about.

Gir
05-27-2012, 02:19 AM
I'll give you a tip. If you want to spam advertise like this, don't call your account the same name as the company.

Ulthwé Guardian
05-27-2012, 02:49 AM
I'll give you a tip. If you want to spam advertise like this, don't call your account the same name as the company.

Pretty much yeah.

There's loads of people posting up their company's products on the BoLS forums but at least be honest about it. :-S

olberon
05-27-2012, 03:13 AM
actually i really like the battlescribe program -no im not related to the company in any way or form-

my only problems with the program are
1) data files - you need to get these seperate, and give errors from time to time
2) armylist printing - if you like to have a messy armylist thi is the program to go. I always copy the list i save to my own armylist to solve it.

So tip for the OP: fix the messy armylist layout it looks horrible, rest the program works like a charm

UltramarineFan
05-27-2012, 06:48 AM

The site is his so what's the problem? He's promoting reviews he's done, it's not a massive issue.

Gir
05-27-2012, 06:54 AM
The site is his so what's the problem? He's promoting reviews he's done, it's not a massive issue.

I have no issue with him promoting his product, I have issue with him acting like someone who just stumbled upon it and thought it was awesome.

gravengames
05-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Ok, looks like we might need a mod to clear up this thread.

I think there has been a mix up, this is not my product, I am not affiliated with it in anyway, I just thought you'd like to know about it.

I've been using it for a while (like I said in the first line of this thread), after doing quite a bit of my own research into free list building solutions, and this is the only product that I was happy with. i tried various other programs and spreadsheets that people had designed, but all were overly complex or had faults.

I think there are quite a few gamers out there who could make use of software like this, especially since its free.

Verilance
05-27-2012, 08:42 AM
I have no issue with him promoting his product, I have issue with him acting like someone who just stumbled upon it and thought it was awesome.

I am sure he has issues with you being unable to read...

I read his review off the first post and knew it wasn't his product. other people put up links why can't he

Uncle Nutsy
05-27-2012, 01:11 PM
I gave it a shot (figured, why not; not doing anything today...)

and it seems to work well enough. no oddities in the program so far, and I was able to whip up a quick 1500 list.

data files are a little off for DE [hellions in both troops and FA slots, lol], but i'm sure those will get fixed soon enough.

gravengames
05-27-2012, 01:44 PM
I gave it a shot (figured, why not; not doing anything today...)

and it seems to work well enough. no oddities in the program so far, and I was able to whip up a quick 1500 list.

data files are a little off for DE [hellions in both troops and FA slots, lol], but i'm sure those will get fixed soon enough.

I dont know DE very well, but is there an HQ that makes Helions either Troops or FA? (whichever they are not already)

Uncle Nutsy
05-27-2012, 06:07 PM
yes; baron sathonyx.

hellions should only become a troop choice if he's selected.

karlthepagan
06-02-2012, 08:11 AM
I've used battlescribe for a while and I've given up on it. The points costs have too many mistakes on almost every roster I've used (Grey Knights, Space Marines, Black Templars).

The updates lately are nice, and you've done a good job fixing the crashes that I report and updating the look and feel to the android ICS standard look and feel.

Unfortunately the value you get for the "pro" version is laughable. You can do that math in your head. I'm half way to making my own wargaming force builder of some kind and the only reason is that noone even comes close to a proper statistical analysis of the forces. These are apps that charge real money and the development effort is all on the UI. Being an experienced developer I know that's the way it is... so it's going to be a lot of work to actually make something that works well... but I'd rather have a bad UI (like iBodger or iList) and proper statistical analysis.

I might contribute to the data files to fix these things (and adopt the format myself), but honestly I'm spread thin enough so it could be a while.

With the way these companies protect their IP it might also be a good idea to move towards something that requires a codex and a trivial amount of data entry... but I guess I'll see how it goes if I produce my own app.

Kawauso
06-02-2012, 08:48 AM
EDIT: Derp'd

Uncle Nutsy
06-03-2012, 01:18 AM
tried out the save as HTML feature, and it's just lovely. I absolutely LOVE seeing the breakdown, totals and rules summary on the page. super for a quick reference.

noticed something aswell. For some reason it tells me my maximum selection for venoms for trueborns is zero. that obviously needs to be fixed. Legal limit per trueborn team is one.

gravengames
06-03-2012, 02:50 AM
I like the HTML output too, make its so easy to see whats in a list at a quick glance, and can be pasted onto a website/blog or email.

ksoh75
06-03-2012, 01:49 PM
I have it downloaded but can't pull up the program.....are there separate files I need to DL?

kkEspana
06-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Common use - Dapoxetine belongs to a class of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). This short-acting inhibitor is used to treat premature *********** in men.
I am ready to accept the situation that customer support sometimes can be dull when I want to trace my order plus buy priligy (http://dagpro.com/)
I take generic priligy (http://priligy.me/) pill and it works as expected but after sexual intercourse I sometimes feel muscle pain in the back and fatigue. I do not know if this is because I work like a stud or it is a side effect. Anyway I am lucky that I gave it a try.
http://sldenafil.com/img/300_250_2.jpg (http://sldenafil.com/)

Rapture
06-05-2012, 04:33 PM
I will also endorse Battlescribe.

Building the structure for each rule set (and then codex/army book) takes effort, practice, and time. Quite a bit of all three, actually. I found existing 40k codexes online. They gave me the basic format and allowed me to simply edit as opposed to creating. However, they are not exactly kosher, so they disappear quickly.

Great free program. Check it out.