PDA

View Full Version : Most BA moment in film history.

Prometheus
09-22-2009, 11:06 PM
The question is simple... the answer is probably not, I wanna know what everyone thinks is the most badarse moment in film history. Please explain the scene a little, if you will.

Mine is probably a tie...

- The scene in the movie Crocdile Dundee where Mick Dundee and his journalist girlfriend are getting muged while walking together at night. The mugger pulls out a switch blade and demands thier money. The female journalist is terrified, Mick Dundee seems not to care. The journalist tells Mick to give the mugger his money. Mick asked, "What for?" She franticlly replies "Mick he has a knife!" Mick looks calmly at the blade, then back at her and says, "Thats not a knife." He then pulls a huge bowie knife (earlier used to kill a crocodile) from under his jacket and says,"This is a knife." Mick then holds the bowie knife to the mugger, who drops the switch blade. Mick then cuts apart the red leather jacket the mugger was wearling like it was paper. The mugger runs away, and the journalist laughs.

- The scene in Live Free or Die Hard where John McClain shoots the bad guy though his own shoulder. If you havent seen it and don't knwo waht I mean I will explain. The bad guy is standing behind John with his arm around him holding him up and pointing a gun at his chest, actually pointing the gun into a shoulder wound John sustained earlier in the film. The bad guy threatens that he is going to shoot McCain and his daughter (also a hostage held by another bad guy), John respones by saying his patented "Yippie Kia Ya Mother F*cker" line and grabs the gun, which is still being held by the bad guy and pulls the trigger. This sends the bullet through his shoulder and into the bad guys chest.

I'm sure I am going to change my answer after thinking about it for awhile but for now these are my choices.

praxis
10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Mine would be from "Aliens" when Ripley finds herself in the middle of a room full of facehugger eggs and the alien queen. The queen advances on Ripley and Newt. Ripley lets go with her flamer into the air, then points it at the eggs. The queen backs off. Then one of the facehuggers starts to hatch, and Ripley looses the plot and incinerates and grenades the whole chamber into next week. Classic.

Triggerdog
10-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Punisher Warzone: the Entire movie. He decapitates a few people, kills hundreds, but theres a few shining points. Such as when he snaps his broken nose back into place by jamming a pencil up his nostril and ratcheting it to the side. That and the fact that he actually reloads.

Domino: Among others when Choco tosses a TV into a guy's windshield, jumps off a roof, then yanks him out of his car.

The Hunting Party: When Simon flat out headbutts The Fox after catching him.

Nobel Son: Death via Mini Cooper and when the mom calls the reporter and aims her duty revolver out the window.

Outlander: When Canaan explains what his people do and how they encountered the Moorwyns.

Flight of the Phoenix: when they're trying to negotiate with the bandits and "Angel" by massive attack starts up. You just know that things are going to go badly.

Seraphim Falls: when Peirce Brosnan tosses his bowie knife down out of a tree, kills a guy, then hops down and cuts his belly open and shoves his hands in to stop them from getting frost bitten.

Collateral: Everything Vincent does and says.

Revolver: When Sorter snaps and kills everyone.

Bourne Identity: apartment fight and end shootout

Bourne Supremacy: House fight and Kirill chase

Bourne Ultimatum: book fight and breaking into the CIA building

Ronin: the movie

Heat: the movie

Syriana: When Matt Damon explains to the Prince why his country is a total joke

No Country for Old Men: Everything Chigur says and does. Also shotgun street fight

Blood Diamond: When Solomon beats the RUF officer to death with a shovel. Every time Archer says "bru" or talks about Rhodesia and also the gunship attack.

Daywatch: the opening and the ending are exceedingly spectacular

The Proposition: When Charlie gets speared and his brothers friend blows the head off the aboriginal. When Charlie saves the sheriff

Children of Men: When clive own smacks Sid across the face with a car battery

Sukiyaki Western Django: When the man with no name faces off against the white leader

The Hunted: Everything Aaron does. Note most of what he says is really emo or exceedingly psychotic.

Renaissance: The greenhouse shootout is one of the best uses of CGI and a limited color palette in the history of cinema.

rsheridan5
10-12-2009, 12:45 PM
"The New Guy" When the Dizzy (Gil) Harrison is "released" by his friends, the "frightened" guards a la Hannibal Lecter at his new school!

"Tombstone" When Doc Holiday responds to Johnny Ringo's talk about playing for blood, with "That's just my kind of game..."

ColCorbane
10-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I can't remember the exact scene, but there's a bit in Dog Soldiers where a squaddy goes full bore for a werewolf is excellent.

Brass Scorpion
10-12-2009, 01:06 PM
The opening scene of Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West, arguably the finest Western genre film ever made. Three killers, one played by the great Jack Elam, wait at a train station for "Harmonica", played by Charles Bronson. Harmonica asks if they brought a horse for him. Jack Elam says it looks like they're one short to which Harmonica replies, "you brought two too many", resulting in one nasty, nasty gun fight. The pauses, delivery and facial expressions during the verbal exchange leading up to the gunfight are move-maiking at it's finest.

Then, there's Leone's The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Any moment in that film qualifies as awesome, though moments like "If you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" are among the most "bad-a$%".

In Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, the scene where Toshiro Mifune's character is yelling at the bandits to come and attack him is a great one. Similarly, early in Yojimbo, Mifune wipes out a mob of bandits alone with his sword to impress the rival gang. Leone awesomely recreated that scene in his remake, A Fistful Of Dollars, after which The Man With No Name (Clint Eastwood) says, "my mistake, better make it four coffins" after having asked the local cooper to have three ready just before the fight.

twomas_rox
10-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Not a big fan of Denzel Washingto, but Man on Fire was one BA movie!!

any scene really... like when he sticks the bomb in the Police Chiefs *** and interrogates him...

or when he shoots off the kidnappers hands with a shotgun...

basically the whole move..

suscuhy
10-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Jack Elam says it looks like they're one short to which Harmonica replies, "you brought two too many", resulting in one nasty, nasty gun fight. The pauses, delivery and facial expressions during the verbal exchange leading up to the gunfight are move-maiking at it's finest.

Faultie
10-13-2009, 12:29 PM
When the swordsman gets finished with his impressive display, and Indy drops him in one shot.

Prometheus
10-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I can't remember the exact scene, but there's a bit in Dog Soldiers where a squaddy goes full bore for a werewolf is excellent.

Dog Soliders... great movie. All it needed was a true "transformation" scene and it could lay claim to being the best werewolf movie ever made. Its in my 10 ten all time favorite films.

I like the part where the werewolf has the little guy by the throat, its muzzle right in the guys face, and the little guy spits his gum at the werewolf and says: "I hope I give you the sh*ts!"

Bigred
10-24-2009, 12:10 AM
I define "badarse" more generally as on-screen potency. Those scenes that stick with you for years. Whether comedy, drama, or spectacle, something the director did that is forever imprinted in your mind.

Dr. Strangelove: "Gentlemen youn't fight in here. This is the WAR ROOM!"
Gallipoli: The final shot before the credits roll.
Blade Runner: "If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes"
The Usual Suspects: The reveal.
Lost in Translation: The goodbye whisper.

and my guilty pleasure:

Time Bandits: Pretty much any scene with Evil in it.

Brass Scorpion
10-27-2009, 01:22 PM
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room" has been one of my favorite movie lines for longer even than I've been buying GW product, and that's a frighteningly long time. I just watched that movie again recently on DVD with my son who was seeing it for the first time. We had a great time. What a great movie.

More of my favorite "B A" moments in film:

- Tuco and Blondie clear out a whole town full of killers in ambush, then find the boss "Angel Eyes" (aka Sentenza) has skipped town in my favorite film of all time, Sergio Leone's "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly".

- "Do you expect me to talk, Goldfinger?" "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!" from Goldfinger with Sean Connery and Gert Froebe.

- "Should we bury them fellas, Josie?" "No, (spits on the forehead of one corpse of a dead bounty hunter) buzzards gotta eat same as worms." from The Outlaw Josie Wales

- "Did I fire six shots or only five?" and the rest of the dialogue from that iconic scene in the original Dirty Harry, ending with "Do you feel lucky, punk?" The whole scene is great. I also love how Harry (Clint Eastwood) continues to chew his interrupted hot dog lunch while blasting the bank robbers as they try to get away.

warpcrafter
10-29-2009, 12:14 AM
The end of Zombieland, where Tallahassie sets up his spare clips so that he can snap them into his pistols and keep shooting. He ends up surrounded by a low hill of dead (er) zombies.

Aldramelech
10-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Man on Fire: "What are you going to do?" "I'm going to kill them all, Anyone who was involved in it, anyone who profited by it, anyone who opens his eyes at me" Great acting by Denzel, you could believe him completely when he said it.

Lord of the Rings: Liv Tyler on horse back sword in hand "If you want him, come and claim him!"

Hitman: Timothy Oliphant "If you double cross me I will find you and burn that building down around you!"

Smoking Aces: The Tremors! lol. And the end scene where he pulls the plug.

Layer Cake: When Daniel Craig shoots his boss

Apocalypse Now: Colonel Kilgore "If I say its safe to surf this beach, its safe to surf this beach!"

Zulu: Colour Sergeant Bourne "Now then Mr. Witt, be quiet now, theres a good Gentleman, you'll upset the lads"

Brass Scorpion
10-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Zulu with Stanley Baker, Michael Caine and Nigel Greene is one long "ba" moment. Terrific action film, one of the best.

Nigel Greene, Color Sgt. Bourne in Zulu, was also Hercules in the Ray Harryhausen film of Jason And The Argonauts, my favorite fantasy film of all time. That one sticks pretty close to the Argonautica and I never get tired of it. Some "ba" moments in that film:
- When Hercules (Nigel Greene) and Hylas first steel the brooch pin and you hear the creaking of metal as Talos, the Bronze Man, slowly turns his head and glares at them.
- When Talos picks up the entire Argo and shakes out the crew
- The King Aeëtes sows the hydra's teeth and the undead warriors emerge dramatically one at a time. Every one of those skeleton warriors has a different wicked shield device on their hoplon and demonic expressions on their skull faces. Then Aeetes delivers his "kill, kill, kill them all" and the warriors emit a blood-curdling shriek as they leap into the fray. Great stuff!

Kahoolin
10-30-2009, 10:20 PM
The bit in Conan the Barbarian, where Thulsa Doom is all like:

"Who is your father if it is not me? I am the wellspring, from which you flow. Join me my child."

And Conan is getting hypnotized and he's about to fall for it and then... BAM! HOW ABOUT A BROADSWORD TO THE THROAT EVIL WIZARD?!!

Ivarr
10-31-2009, 07:18 AM
The best scene in movie history is in Evil Dead II...the montage where Ash (Bruce Campbell) is building the harness to mount the chainsaw where his hand used to be...ending with the heroic music building as he starts the chainsaw, drops it on the barrel of the shotgun in his other hand "sawing it off". The heroic music builds to a climax, the camera zooms in on his face and he says......Groovy!

All things considered, Bruce Campbell has some of the greatest scenes and one liners ever written/performed.

"Hail to the king, baby"
"First you want to kill me. Now you want to kiss me. ...Blow!"
"Oh that's just what we call pillow talk, baby"

How can you not love those.

I also have to include the scene in Shaun of the Dead where Shaun and Ed are leaving the pub and "singing" a bit of "White Lines" and work the zombie moans into it.

entendre_entendre
11-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Most BA moments in film?

the 1980's Scarface: Al Pacino playing pure anger. "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!!!!"
Rambo 4: Rambo in the back of a jeep blasting the sh*t out of tons of Burmese soldiers (with gore on the blast screen BTW). it doesn't wimp out on gore, literally fist-sized holes in people or getting sawed in half my machine gun fire. as close as we're getting to bolter fire for a while. .50 machine gun + unarmoured humans = a bloody, awesome mess.
The Watchmen: everything Rorschach does.
The Host: when the tadpole-monster first appears and starts eating people/causing general ruckus.
The Blues Brothers: the final car chase (if you haven't seen this, go watch it now!). it's the one car chase that spoofs the car chase cliche and kicks its @$$ at the same time.