PDA

View Full Version : Army Swaps

Colonel Kreitz
05-14-2012, 01:40 PM
With all the discussion of armies being overpowered (GK Razorback/Psiflemen Dread spam, Space Wolves with 15 Long Fang missile launchers, IG leafblowers, et al), has anyone considered army swapping?

That is, you and your opponent play two consecutive games: you play the first game, then swap armies and play the second. Certainly, dice luck can throw a wrench in things, but I think that it gives a better feel for who the better "general" is (excluding list-building skills). It also helps answer the question of whether one person has a better army / list or is a better player on the table.

Thoughts?

the jeske
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
you play the first game, then swap armies and play the second. Certainly, dice luck can throw a wrench in things, but I think that it gives a better feel for who the better "general" is (excluding list-building skills).
in a world where people get insane when someone moves their models even if the rules says so[like lash]? I dont think it could happen outside of the closests of closest of friends . And from what I heared among friends too powerful armies dont seem to be a problem [and for us they arent a problem because people dont play bad lists].

Chuck777
05-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Do you really want Captain Sweatpants and Lonely Larry touching your models with their greasy, grimy hands?

ElectricPaladin
05-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Do you really want Captain Sweatpants and Lonely Larry touching your models with their greasy, grimy hands?

I would be happy to do this with anyone I trust not to actually break my models. Dude, models clean. So do I, for that matter, regardless of whether or not my opponent chooses to.

Colonel Kreitz
05-14-2012, 02:31 PM

Maybe I'm just lucky with my opponents, but I think I'd be comfortable with most people I've played against in my area playing with my army. I 100% understand any reluctance to, but I think I'd be happy letting people do this in a friendly pick-up game against someone who isn't crazy (90% of people out there), or against my friends. In fact, when I'm playing with my friends, we swap armies pretty often. It's usually quite a lot of fun...

inquisitorsog
05-14-2012, 03:12 PM
There's nothing in "swapping sides" that automatically equates to the other guy putting his grubby, clumsy hands on your figures.
Some thoughts:
1) Player uses a marker such as a die or other proxy to mark where they want the model moved to. Owner of the model actually physically moves it. Obviously, some limitations on that, but workable.
2) Counts-as: each player just uses their own models, figuring out some level of counts-as. Not always going to be workable but it's an option some of the time. Obviously, much easier if both players own more suitable counts-as alternatives.
3) At the risk of being deemed a complete heretic, if the goal is to see how each player handles the other army, hide the minis altogether and use suitable proxies or paper minis (sized appropriately and 3d).

the jeske
05-14-2012, 04:56 PM
I would be happy to do this with anyone I trust not to actually break my models. Dude, models clean. So do I, for that matter, regardless of whether or not my opponent chooses to.

people would break others models "accidently" just so they wouldnt be ready for next round . or just to make them angry [you won with your army and now your winining again playing my ? there goes me droping my tape measure on your finecast dudesman. sorry].

ElectricPaladin
05-14-2012, 04:59 PM
people would break others models "accidently" just so they wouldnt be ready for next round . or just to make them angry [you won with your army and now your winining again playing my ? there goes me droping my tape measure on your finecast dudesman. sorry].

I don't know what to tell you - I've never met anyone who behaved this way, and we have middle school kids at my store.

Colonel Kreitz
05-14-2012, 05:55 PM

I genuinely cannot conceive of that happening. If that happened, especially at a tournament, I could see the guy being ejected. I should also add, I don't think anyone would take a game that seriously, at least at any of the tournaments I've been to around here.