PDA

View Full Version : Deathwind Launcher and Drop Pods

charliemachina
05-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Can someone explain this to me?

A Drop pod arrives via deepstrike and therefore counts as moving.

A Drop Pod is a vehicle.

Vehicles count as relentless.

A Dethwind Launcher is heavy but can still be fired as a drop pod is relentless as it is a vehicle.

Why are people telling me that the Death Wind launcher can't fire the turn it arrives.

If the answer is in a FAQ or anything can I have the reference for it.

cheers

Charlie

Gir
05-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Counts as moving Cruising speed. Non-fast vehicles cannot shoot if they move at cruising speed.

Tynskel
05-13-2012, 05:28 AM
P.95 of the deep strike rules state all deep striking vehicles count as cruising speed.

gwensdad
05-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Doesn't the deathwind have special rules that it shoots anyway when it comes on? That rule would trump the rulebook, right?

Tynskel
05-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Only black templar drop pods have Power of the Machine Spirit.

Drop pod, otherwise, cannot fire the turn they come in, because they are not 'Fast Vehicles'.
Don't worry, I got nailed on that one at a tourney once. Never forget!

or are you talking about the special drop pod that's all guns? That one has special rules that allow it to fire on deep strike.

charliemachina
05-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Sadly i'm talking about the one from the Codex Space Marines book.

Is it still worth having???

I have two of them in a list with tigerius so I think they should both get at least three turns of shooting.

cheers

Charlie

SotonShades
05-13-2012, 01:34 PM
The Deathstorm Drop Pod (got renamed in the update) has the 'Automated Weapons' Special rule.

On the turn it arrives, every unit (friend or foe) within 12" takes a certain number of hits (depending on which weapon system the Deathstorm is armed with). This is an exception to the normal rules for vehicles and means it DOES fire in the first turn, just not in the normal way.

Rules for the Deathstorm Drop Pods can be found here (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA2update28AUG.pdf) at the top of page 9 of 16.

Regular Drop Pods, as has all ready been stated, do not have this rule and so cannot fir on the first turn. Taking a Deathwind launcher is a bit of a pricey upgrade, but can be effective. As with so many options, the question has to be "what else do you have in your list? Would thaose 20 points be better spent upgrading another unit?" How many drop pods you have will have a big bearing on this as it will decide how often you are likely to be able to fire that Deathwind Launcher.

Kaika87
05-14-2012, 06:32 AM
Sadly i'm talking about the one from the Codex Space Marines book.

Is it still worth having???

I have two of them in a list with tigerius so I think they should both get at least three turns of shooting.

cheers

Charlie

You want my opinion, then no. No it isn't. By the same token, Tigerius is overcosted as hell.

Tynskel
05-14-2012, 06:36 AM
I think one or two are worth your while. You gotta remember they are short ranged, so the unit that's droppoding in should be equipped for close quarters.