PDA

View Full Version : Tourney in a week, which list?

planet psyrum
05-12-2012, 01:04 PM
I have a tourney on May 19th. It is a 1000pt tourney that the winner is based on how many points you accumulate over four games. First, second, and third objectives are worth 9, 6, 4 respectively. Also there is a bonus point for accomplishing a specific mission, ie. kill HQ and the like. The objectives are all sorts of things, but stress flexibility. Sometimes being able to move is neccessary, sometimes cc, and sometimes just out shoot the competition. The competitors will be playing mech vanilla marines, a nasty Blood Angels list, and horde orks. I am going to be the only necron player at the tourney. Here are my two list ideas.

List 1 - Tested

Overlord
Semp weave
Phaeron

Overlord
Semp weave
Phaeron

5 warriors
Harbinger of destruction - solar pulse
Harbinger of destruction

5 warriors
Harbinger of destruction

6 warriors
Harbinger of destruction
Harbinger of destruction

6 immortals - tesla
Harbinger of destruction
Harbinger of destruction

8 scarabs

I played two games against a Vanilla Marine list. Librarian, tac squads in rhinos, scout squads; and one against an assault based marine list. I won the first game by winning the second(kill points) and third(table quarters) objectives, however if my opponent reread the tourney packet he would have realized to move his tac squad on the last turn into a quarter where i had 5 warriors, and won. During this game I cornered up and focus fired on anything in the open. When no targets were in the open I tried popping transports. I shot alot of lances at his transports, but by turn five, i only blew up one. The solar pulses protected me from his cornered up marines. But, I was not happy with the overall killing potential of this list. I only won on the last turn because of some luck killing his librarian and two marines, with very little fire. At one point he had 4, 5-man units with two or less guys. I just couldn't focus fire enough to wipe out a squad, he then would run and hide. He only killed one unit of warriors, a overlord, and my scarabs.

The second game, I again could not kill his transports or units. I blew up 1 rhino on turn 5 with an eldritch lance. But besides that I killed alot of marines, but not a full squad. I lost handely.

The third game, against the assault based army, I was tabled. I shot every lance at a vindicator, and only immobilized it on turns 1 -2, then scarabs blew it up. His assault squad then jumped from squad to squad and destroyed me.

So, I made this list to counter mech SM lists, and guess what, for 16 game turns, I blew up 2 transports, and one vindicator. Just plain, not good enough. So, I made a switch.

planet psyrum
05-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Second list - Untested

Overlord
Command Barge
Warscythe
Semp Weave

Overlord
Command Barge
Warscythe
Semp Weave

5 Immortals

5 Immortals

5 Immortals
Harbinger of Despair - veil

5 Deathmarks
Harbinger of Despair - veil
Harbinger of Despair

My thought is this is a quicker list. The two command barges,immortals with veil, and deathmarks with veil, make this list far quicker than the last. The two extra immortal squads will effectively have 30" range, and may be able to soften up units.

The command barges will pop transports and double up on MSU units to get rid of them. They can also be used for end of the game contesting, and quarters grabbing. The deathmarks are the prototypical death star killer. With two templates, wounding on 2+ AP1, they should pretty much kill every model in a unit, if they do not scatter, especially for those pesky units that think they are safe in cover. If, they do not die the next turn they will usually have a 5+ AP1 templates to continue flying around killing things. I'm bringing this unit to deal with sanguinary guard, and an ork problem.

So, which one would you bring?

Brandoncbaker
05-13-2012, 07:04 AM
I don't know the codex very well,but a couple things do jump out at me. The HQ with the warscythe is a decimate pain for marines. The other thing is more in regards to game play. Are units of 5 large enough to hold objectives well. I'm a lond time Marine player and there much better at working in small squads, but I'd still bring more than 5 if they role is to comfortably hold objectives. Just my 2 cent

Tynskel
05-13-2012, 07:10 AM
how do you get 2 veil teks? Destroyer Lords cannot take command squads.

also you should break up the units by points, and who they were originally bought by, then state who's with who. The last thing you wanna do is screw up points because you preassigned squad leaders, etc.

planet psyrum
05-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't know the codex very well,but a couple things do jump out at me. The HQ with the warscythe is a decimate pain for marines. The other thing is more in regards to game play. Are units of 5 large enough to hold objectives well. I'm a lond time Marine player and there much better at working in small squads, but I'd still bring more than 5 if they role is to comfortably hold objectives. Just my 2 cent

In a 1000 pt game, as long as they do not get into close combat and are in cover, the 5 man units usually will survive. The two solar pulses and their low target priority will help. Also if they are in cover, if they fail their 4+ save, they can always get up on 5+, which makes them pretty resilient.

planet psyrum
05-13-2012, 03:48 PM
how do you get 2 veil teks? Destroyer Lords cannot take command squads.

also you should break up the units by points, and who they were originally bought by, then state who's with who. The last thing you wanna do is screw up points because you preassigned squad leaders, etc.

I fix the list and changed some things up. Can you explain what you mean by screwing up points by preassigning squad leaders.

Brandoncbaker
05-14-2012, 06:46 AM
I think calling Warrior squads low priority in a tourney isn't accurate. Seeing they are your scoring units a experienced tourney player would take care of those first.not to mention easy kill points.

Chumbalaya
05-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Too much in HQ, not enough meat and potatoes.

1 Barge Lord, 2 A Barges and a mix of requisite Troops and support would be great.

planet psyrum
05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I think calling Warrior squads low priority in a tourney isn't accurate. Seeing they are your scoring units a experienced tourney player would take care of those first.not to mention easy kill points.

Regardless of the size or where they rank in Target priority. A 5 man unit with a cryptek, will not die to shooting in a 1000 pt game, as long as you are in cover, in the back, using two solar pulses, and not playing IG. If they get into cc, they could be 20 strong, and still get wiped out.

And necron cannot build the meat and potato list. They lose out to SM everytime if you go for a straight up fight. You have to play a chess match, and have certain tricks to beat SM consistently. Also those bargea in a 1000 pt game, being able to kill in the movement phase is a bigger deal than say in an 1850 pt game.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-15-2012, 02:07 AM
Regardless of the size or where they rank in Target priority. A 5 man unit with a cryptek, will not die to shooting in a 1000 pt game, as long as you are in cover, in the back, using two solar pulses, and not playing IG. If they get into cc, they could be 20 strong, and still get wiped out.

And necron cannot build the meat and potato list. They lose out to SM everytime if you go for a straight up fight. You have to play a chess match, and have certain tricks to beat SM consistently. Also those bargea in a 1000 pt game, being able to kill in the movement phase is a bigger deal than say in an 1850 pt game.

Haven't lost to Marines once, jus' sayin'.
They get overwhelmed by Tesla weapons, Marines just can't pass that many armour saves.
In 1000 points all you need is Telsa Immortals, Annihilation Barges, and a Dudelord in a Barge. Sorted.

Also, meat and potatoes? I'm starting to get confused and hungry.

Vashtek
05-15-2012, 05:25 AM
Haven't lost to Marines once, jus' sayin'.
They get overwhelmed by Tesla weapons, Marines just can't pass that many armour saves.
In 1000 points all you need is Telsa Immortals, Annihilation Barges, and a Dudelord in a Barge. Sorted.

Also, meat and potatoes? I'm starting to get confused and hungry.

The Agent speaks truth.

I have difficulty fitting in two courts in lists of less than 1750 points. You definitely shouldn't try in 1000 points - you just don't have the staying power against anybody that can just bundle across the board.

I would go with Agent's suggest and get a bunch of tesla. Add a veiltek in the mix and you will have nice objective grabbing capability. Something like:

Overlord with Barge, War Scythe
Harbinger of Despair - veil of darkness
10 Immortals
5 Immortals
5 Immortals
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
4 wraith : 1x particle

I quite like Obyron insmall points games as he can take on troop squads single handedly and he can hop around with the immortals if there are big bad characters about. He's also much cheaper than a bargelord + cryptek so you can get another couple of wraiths. It might be worth dropping one of the barges for 5 more immortals.

Obyron 165
10 Immortals 170
5 Immortals 85
5 Immortals 85
Annihilation Barge 90
Annihilation Barge 90
Annihilation Barge 90
6 wraith : 1x particle, 1x whip 225

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Overlord with Barge, War Scythe
Harbinger of Despair - veil of darkness
10 Immortals
5 Immortals
5 Immortals
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
4 wraith : 1x particle

That's pretty much my list, theres a Cryptek with Solar Pulse and some Warriors in a Ghost Ark. Which, for some reason go completely ignored. They held up a Sternguard unit in combat for 4 turns. xD
I sometimes use Anrakyr for lulz.

Also, 'The Agent speaks the truth'? Surely you jest, I am a devotee of Tzeentch. Muhuhuhahahahaha!

planet psyrum
05-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, I took the second list to the tourney, the one with the two command barges. I played three games, and out of a possible 60 points, I scored 29 points. That score would put me at the top of the bottom third of players. Suprisingly, only one grey knight player, and last I checked he wasn't doing well.

Game 1

I played a IG player with a list containing 4 vet squads in chimeras, one command squad in a chimera, and two ?hydras?(the tank with the 4 str 7 shots). First objective was to pick up an objective and bring it to your DZ, second was kill points, and third was table quarters. I put everything in reserve because I feared the IG shooting and with his chimeras could easily pick up all 3 objectives before me, which was a mistake because his shooting wasn't very effective and the loss of a turn ended up costing me the first objective. I came on the board and doubled up with my barges on his weaker flank. I took out his command squad and chimera, and took and objective, I later dropped it off to a squad of immortals. It is turn 4 already, and I now start thinking about taking one more objective. I deepstriked a unit of immortals and the deathmarks with the veils inside them, and scattered both to a mishap, he puts both in a corner away from everything. I move my barges to take a table quarter. Turn 5 I veil back over to a vet squad carrying an objective, and stick the landing with the deathmarks, and scatter a little bit with the immortals. I forgot to mark that squad so I was killing on 3+ instead of 2+ with the abyssal staff. I only got 9 hits and killed 5. Then the immortals shot them up, but there was one guy left. That one guy then ran and handed off his objective. Turn 6 and final turn. I veil the two squads in the top right corner to take the quarter and kill a vet squad with an objective to take all the points, but I mishapped again on both of them, and then the game was over. I mishapped 6 out of 8 times during this game.So he had two objectives to my one, I won kill points 5 - 1, and we split on table quarters, and I got a bonus point for killing his squad worth the most. So, final tally was, Me: 9 IG:11 The mishaps killed me, also if it would of went 7, I would have taken three quarters and had a shot at taking another objective.

Game 2

I played a SM player with a devestator squad in a rhino, 4 combat squads, a scout squad, and terminators with power fists. First objective was three objectives(one in middle and one in each DZ) that let you aquire points at the end of the game turn, second was have more scoring units in the opposing DZ than your opponent, and thrid was to have a HQ on the middle objective. He had his HQ and scouts babysitting his objective, his combat squads going to the middle, devastators in the rhino running around dropping missiles on me, and the terminators deepstriking where needed. I ran my barges to his objective and killed the scouts and HQ by turn 3, I moved up into cover to take the middle objective with a squad of immortals. The game got out of hand when the terminators went after my two lords who already served there purpose instead of going to the middle objective and kill the crap out of me. Between the immortals and the deathmarks I held off the combat squads long enough to take a lead on points with no chance of being caught. I veiled to an open corner in his DZ and hid, and then got my lord next to the middle objective from the barge(he ran away from the terminators) So at the end of 6 I took first, second, and third objective, and got a bonus point. So I got the hogger and took all points. This had me at 29 points going into the third game, this put me in the top third, so my next opponent would be tougher.

Game 3

Wait? you have 29 points after two, but you ended with 29 points, how did that happen? Well, I got tablled.

So, I play a Space Wolf player next. His list, two landraiders, each with greyhunters in them, a wolf lord, and some other awesome guy. The objectives are 1. table quarters, 2. Kill more HQs than opponent kills yours, and 3. Capture and control. So, going into this I know I am not blowing up the land raider redeamers. The warscythes can but, I want to stay away from the melta in the tank and the multi-melta on the outside. So my plan is this, have him come to the center of the board near me. Teleport two units to the opposite corner, and move flat out with the barges away from the land raiders. If, he doesn't move one turn, and a barge is with in 26" assault it with a lord to try and blow it up. Then shoot the crap out of them with the deathmarks and immortals. Then turn 5 teleport to contest an objective, and teleport and move the barges to take table quarters, and then maybe tie the HQ objective. So, turn 2 plan is in action, he moved 24" to my corner. I teleport my scoring unit of immortals to the other side. What? scatter? 2 sixes? off the board by one inch? roll a one on mishap table? scoring unit dead? Yep that happened. So, now I cant win. He will just take my objective , kill my other scoring units, and thats game. So, now the barges have to blow up a land raider. They move flat out, he moves to meet them, shoots an auto cannon at one. All hit, two sixes to rend and then adds three to his armor penetration roll. Penetration hit and rolls one explosion, add I fail the cover save. Power of the machine spirit, he shoots the multi melta at the other barge blowing that up, he then disembarks and kills both lords. I still had hope, I veiled the death marks next ro the grey hunters. If, I stick the landing I could wipe out an entire group of grey hunters, I then would have to get a little lucky and survive all the firing from the landraider, and teleport out of there. Then run away and contest an obective late in the game. Hopefully I could split table quarters, and C&C, but lose the second objective. But, I sacttered to far to do anything. He then killed EVERYTHING by the start of turn 5.

Thoughts: It was a fun list, and I was able to adapt to everyone's army. My rolling was average, and I had opportunities to win the first two games. The third game I would of came close to tying if not for the 1/1300 chance of that unit going off the able. My math for that is the following( 4/6 scatter, 1/36 double 6s, 1/8 direction had to be pointing to the left, 1/3 mishap roll) The worst part for me was the deepstrike mishaps. I don't know what the percentages are for going into other units or off the table, but mishapping 7 out of 11 times sounds pretty bad. Those mishaps cost me the first game hogger, and the third game.

An ork horde player won the whole thing.