PDA

View Full Version : Finecast question

Deadlift
05-12-2012, 07:03 AM
1st and foremost, this IS NOT a rant at finecast quality. I have had a few models now and enjoy the ease of use that finecast is over metal.

However, in comparison to plastic I still find that some of the smoother areas such as a space marine shoulder pads have a slight textured finish. Not just marine pads but most places where you would usually see a very smooth surface on a plastic kit, I generally see a slight "cardboard" looking surface. Is this normal or should I be asking for a replacement ? The pictures on the clam packs seem to not suffer from this, could it be my painting ? and I should be using thinner coats to smooth out the surface ?

I have had a few finecast marine models and a few cron ones, no major problems since last year with any kits. Its just this texture finish I am seeing on smooth areas. If this is seen as acceptable have you guys found any way around it ?

Asking too much ? maybe I am but there we go :D

Cheers

Dead

eldargal
05-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Is it texture on the bare resin or does it only appear when you paint it? If it roughness on the resin you could try a very fine grit sandpaper just to smooth it out a bit. Otherwise it may be that thinning your paints or a glaze layer may help.

Kawauso
05-12-2012, 09:02 AM
I've found that the texture in question generally isn't noteworthy once it's been painted over, since it's very, very subtle (at least, I think I know what you're talking about). I haven't tried any SM Finecast yet, but I've worked with some large surface areas like the shoulders on the Necron Overlord model.

mot666
05-12-2012, 10:38 AM
my wracks havent got any texture on their robes

lobster-overlord
05-12-2012, 02:24 PM
As a resin caster, I've experienced some of this myself. The longer the item is allowed to sit in the mold, provided the master was smooth and the problem isn't with that, the smoother the resulting piece will be. If they pull it too quickly from the mold, then it could cause it to be a little rough.

I've not had this problem but very rarely with the few fine cast pieces i"ve had. For the most part, all of my parts are better than their metal counter part (the ogre Tyrant two handed great weapon being the only exception where i've used the metal piece over the resin one...)

John M.

Emerald Rose Widow
05-12-2012, 03:41 PM
I have noticed this with many of my finecast pieces, though its just kind of a subtle rough surface, and once I start painting you dont' notice it at all. It seems to disappear almost right after the priming, and subsequent painting just covers it all up, so it has been no issue for me

Deadlift
05-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks guys.

I have started to use thinner coats of paint in these areas now, 1 part paint 2 parts water and a few extra layers seems to smooth the areas out ok. Still not as crisp as plastic but good enough.