PDA

View Full Version : More Finecast Space Marines coming...

Brakkart
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
As mentioned in this months White Dwarf there will be a bunch of metal Space Marine figures making the move over to Finecast this month. More news was posted on GW's What's New blog today:

In this month's White Dwarf we mentioned that later in May some Space Marine miniatures will be released in Citadel Finecast. Well 'some' is a bit of an understatement because we're actually releasing 40 kits, from the Legion of the Damned box set and the Thunderfire Cannon, to individual miniatures such as Chaplains, Librarians and Apothecaries. There will also be a few resin upgrade packs available to order, including several Shoulder Pads sets. Make sure you pop into your local Hobby Centre this weekend or check the website on Saturday to see what we've put on advance order.

I'm curious to see which conversion packs and shoulder pad sets we're going to get in this wave.

lobster-overlord
05-09-2012, 11:28 AM
The shoulder pads are probably the normal ones that have been available. BA, DA and UM. I can't think of any conversion packs that havn't been switched over to plastic yet (Command bits, Devastator parts, etc).

Defenestratus
05-09-2012, 11:33 AM
yes! Finally finecast thunderfire cannons. Homemade LR Achilles here I come!

:D

Brakkart
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Just been nosing around on GW's site and noticed that the Crimson Fist Conversion packs have all gone. There were 3 of them (Assault, Tactical and Command squad packs) before and they were there just a few days ago. I haven't noticed any others from their range of metal shoulder pads that are missing.

ChacoStylez
05-09-2012, 12:05 PM
There was an article posted on BoLS on April 24 with a list of what was being converted. Not only are the Crimson Fists upgrades happening, but the Iron Hand box is getting the Finecast treatment, as are the bike squad and White Scar upgrade kits. It is an exciting time to be a Space Marine player, and lots of conversion opportunities heading our way!

Kawauso
05-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Yeah, between all the bitz upgrade packs getting a Finecast treatment and those limited-run transfers they did recently (I grabbed 2 of the Aurora Chapter sheets myself), it's just maddening.

I mean, I have a huge vanilla SM army (which needs some more armour added to it, but that's it, really), a huge SW army (just needs a couple more tanks to round out a full great company), a sizeable BA army and a huge stockpile of pieces for Thousand Sons/Tzeentch-aligned marines when they get a new book...

And I still want to create an Imperial Fists (the shoulder pad packs in resin! plus a bright yellow scheme...mm, would get to use that new glaze) and Aurora Chapter (the bright green looks awesome, and the transfers are really nice) armies.
What's wrong with me? :(

gwensdad
05-09-2012, 02:01 PM
I've been waiting for Scout Sergent Telion to be available again and this is probably when he's coming back.
Nice to hear about the White Scar bike upgrades coming back too.

DrBored
05-09-2012, 02:09 PM
What's more exciting to me about this, rather than all the new Space Marine finecast.. (though I am excited to get my hands on some Iron Hands upgrade packs)...

is how much is left in metal? Obviously all of Sisters of Battle.. but other than that, all we have are a scant handful of metal models across the Tau, Eldar, Chaos, and Ork lines...

Kawauso
05-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Strangely, Dark Eldar still have some metal, too. The beastmaster unit/models is/are still in pewter.

Bushido
05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
yes! Finally finecast thunderfire cannons. Homemade LR Achilles here I come!

:D

That sounds significantly more expensive than just ordering one.

Brakkart
05-09-2012, 04:08 PM
There was an article posted on BoLS on April 24 with a list of what was being converted. Not only are the Crimson Fists upgrades happening, but the Iron Hand box is getting the Finecast treatment, as are the bike squad and White Scar upgrade kits. It is an exciting time to be a Space Marine player, and lots of conversion opportunities heading our way!

Yup found it, the list of Space Marine Finecast we are getting is as follows:

Figures

Space Marine Librarian with Staff & Book 1 mini $16.00
Space Marine Librarian: Force Sword & Bolt Pistol 1 mini $16.00
Space Marine Chaplain: Crozius & Power Fist 1 mini $16.00
Space Marine Chaplain: Skull Helmet 1 mini $16.00
Space Marine Librarian: Force Axe & Plasma Pistol 1 mini $16.00
Space Marine Apothecary: Chainsword 1 mini $16.00
Damned Legionnaire: Multi Melta 1 mini $16.00
Damned Legionnaire: Heavy Flamer 1 mini $16.00
Damned Sergeant: Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon 1 mini $16.00
Damned Legionnaire: Flamer 1 mini $16.00
Space Marine Captain in Terminator Armour 1 mini $19.25
Space Marine Techmarine 1 mini $21.50
Space Marine Terminator Chaplain 1 mini $21.50
Space Marine Casualties 3 minis $24.00
Space Marine Masters of the Chapter 4 minis $33.00
Space Marine Damned Legionnaires 1 4 minis $33.00
Space Marine Damned Legionnaires 2 4 minis $33.00
Ultramarines Tyrannic War Veterans 4 minis $33.00
Legion of the Damned Squad 5 minis $41.25
Space Marine Veterans MK2 5 minis $41.25
Space Marine Veterans 5 minis $41.25
Space Marine Thunderfire Cannon 1 mini $56.00

Special Characters

Sergeant Telion 1 mini $16.00
Shadow Captain Kayvaan Shrike 1 mini $19.25
Chapter Master Pedro Kantor 1 mini $19.25
Marneus Calgar, Lord Macragge 1 mini $19.25
Chief Librarian Tigurius 1 mini $19.25
Kor'sarro Khan 1 mini $19.25
Chaplain Cassius 1 mini $19.25
Sergeant Chronus 2 minis $19.25
Forgefather Vulkan Heston 1 mini $21.50
Captain Darnath Lysander 1 mini $21.50

Upgrade Packs

Space Marine Bike Squad Upgrade Pack 3 parts $10.00
White Scars Bike Squad Upgrade Pack 6 parts $10.00
Iron Hands Tactical Squad Upgrade Pack 23 parts $18.25
Ultramarines Shoulder Pads 10 parts $10.00
Crimson Fists Command Squad Upgrade Pack 9 parts $13.25
Crimson Fists Shoulder Pads 10 parts $10.00
Crimson Fists Tactical Squad Upgrade Pack 13 parts $14.75
Crimson Fists Assault Squad Upgrade Pack 14 parts $14.75

I'll definately be getting a bunch of the Crimson Fist upgrade packs (just as good for Imperial Fists) and might well get myself a Telion and Chronus too now that it'll be a cinch to cut/file the Ultramarines symbols off of them.

Gir
05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Whole bunch of metals vanished from the GW aus site in line with the list above. While this isn't news, what makes me happy is that the awesome looking techmarine (that really needed to be finecast) is gone, and not the crappy looking ones :D

eosgreen
05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
am i the only one who dislikes finecast?

more expensive stuff? its fine for character models since i care about the detail and already expensive models like terminators but for TROOPS?!?

for example necrons immortals are like 40 bucks for 5.... really?

its not gonna end with them, its going to be other models you want massive amounts of

Necron2.0
05-09-2012, 11:04 PM

No.

Not by a long shot.

That, however, is a horse carcass that's been pasted over and over. Bottom line is the "worth" of "finecast" is well established and not at all in question, as evidenced by the fact that many places that sell it carry a disclaimer.

sneakyben
05-10-2012, 01:34 AM
What's more exciting to me about this, rather than all the new Space Marine finecast.. (though I am excited to get my hands on some Iron Hands upgrade packs)...

is how much is left in metal? Obviously all of Sisters of Battle.. but other than that, all we have are a scant handful of metal models across the Tau, Eldar, Chaos, and Ork lines...

and pretty much all of the IG elite choices

Wildcard
05-10-2012, 07:25 AM
and pretty much all of the IG elite choices

Oh how i would love new plastic Ogryns and Stormtroopers

Maybe to come 'soon' with new dex that actually makes them worthwhile to take :P

eldargal
05-12-2012, 01:13 AM
All up for advance-orde (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440160a&rootCatGameStyle=)r now.

Gir
05-12-2012, 04:03 AM
Ordered a Techmarine and terminator Chaplin. Now once the convert the Blood Angels Special characters, I can be completely metal free.

Wolfrahm
05-13-2012, 11:00 AM

more expensive stuff? its fine for character models since i care about the detail and already expensive models like terminators but for TROOPS?!?

its not gonna end with them, its going to be other models you want massive amounts of

Not at all. My mangler has sagged real bad. Not a fan of finecrap.

woodenronin
05-13-2012, 04:54 PM
I don't even own any finecast miniatures yet. I already own 99% of this crap in metal. I can't believe that they did not come out with any new sculpts.

Kawauso
05-13-2012, 06:05 PM
I don't even own any finecast miniatures yet. I already own 99% of this crap in metal. I can't believe that they did not come out with any new sculpts.

That's kind of not the point of GW trying to phase out metal in favour of resin when it comes to older/existing models.

Myself, I'm pretty excited about some of these options being available in resin, finally. I really wish the termy chaplain had been a couple years back, before I did the conversion for my SW Wolf Priest...huge pain.
Oh, would that I had more (any) money right now. :(

Chuck777
05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
That's kind of not the point of GW trying to phase out metal in favour of resin when it comes to older/existing models.

Myself, I'm pretty excited about some of these options being available in resin, finally. I really wish the termy chaplain had been a couple years back, before I did the conversion for my SW Wolf Priest...huge pain.
Oh, would that I had more (any) money right now. :(

Wouldn't it have been easier to gussy up a normal space wolf terminator rather than dealing with the hassle of converting a metal model?

Kawauso
05-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Probably, but it wouldn't have had everything else that makes that model awesome.

Kaika87
05-13-2012, 10:58 PM

Necron Immortals are plastic. Just sayin'.

Anyway, there's plenty of hate to go around for finecast, but I will say that the newest release with the Necron characters was fantastic. The Zahndrekh I picked up had no problems with him at all. I'm guessing it's because Zahndrekh was a scupt made for fincast and not metal, which then fills me with dread at the quality of these models that are converted from metal to finecast.

Panxer
05-14-2012, 08:59 AM
How about finecast marines which are to scale? I'm tired of playing games where marines are the same size and girth as a guardsman. It's embarrassing... :D

Kawauso
05-14-2012, 10:27 AM
The guardsmen are out of scale, not the marines. They should be proportioned more like the DE models and a bit shorter...but then they'd wind up looking like LOTR minis. And Chimeras, Valkyries, etc. would have to be WAY smaller.

28mm 'heroic' scale is exaggerated for a reason. :P

el_pablo65
05-17-2012, 04:46 PM
The last three items I bought for my Space Marines...

Darnath Lysander
Thunderfire Cannon w/ Techmarine
Chaplain Cassius

All metal and now all collector's items (not especially, I know). Makes me feel great about the purchases, that's for sure.

Kawauso
05-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Why would you -want- a Thunderfire Cannon in metal? To each his own, I guess.

el_pablo65
05-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Why would you -want- a Thunderfire Cannon in metal? To each his own, I guess.

I love metal models. The Thunderfire cannon was an easy build and doubles as a paper weight if there is a heavy breeze.

Not a big Finecast fan with what little I have encountered. I bought Calgar and the honor guard and had to return it as his kneecap was missing. Again, to each their own.

wittdooley
05-21-2012, 08:25 AM
I love metal models. The Thunderfire cannon was an easy build and doubles as a paper weight if there is a heavy breeze.

Not a big Finecast fan with what little I have encountered. I bought Calgar and the honor guard and had to return it as his kneecap was missing. Again, to each their own.

You got a well cast metal T-Fire Cannon?

My envy is overflowing. I hate my metal one. I painted it right away just so I could be done with it. One of the most bothersome models to assemble I've ever owned.

It does, however, make a lovely paperweight!

MajorWesJanson
05-22-2012, 12:49 AM
The Thunderfire cannon was an easy build

What? Did you find the metal LR Crusader to be a walk in the park as well?
My TF cannon was not a nightmare, but it did take a few hours of work.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-22-2012, 01:24 AM
And now we can make our own Land Raider Achilles.

Kawauso
05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Or, you know, just buy one from Forge World... 62GBP versus 77 from the GW website for a Land Raider + Thunderfire Cannon. Which doesn't even get you the twin-linked multimelta sponsons figured out.

Even if you got both kits from a website at a 20% discount it would still come to like 61.6GBP...and again, no multimeltas.

Forge World stuff isn't that expensive a lot of the time.