PDA

View Full Version : Dear BOLS: please try to be more selecting in your rumor postings.

Flammenwerfer13
05-07-2012, 02:06 PM
My opinion inserted below.

Short version:
Stop posting trash rumors, vent your sources better and you'll filter out the junk from the truth more clearly.

Long Version:
Please, please, please, take a step back and look a the deluge of rumors for 6th Editions. From the larger scheme of the rumor lock down there is now such much junk being thrown out there that if anything does actually get out it it is being lost in the clutter.

Take the "leaked 6th Edition". Personally I feel it was the real deal, to much of the best parts of 2nd, 5th and other gaming systems streamed lined into a rule book that allows a plug and play with Codices old and new all the while perfecting addressing all some of the main issues of 5th Edition (cover saves, squadron rules, wound allocation, and lack of interaction during you're opponents turn). Though I'll defer that it was probably a early draft but much closer to the finalized one. Now throw on top of that that GW has for a long time tried to distance 40k from it's original roots (no more dwarfs and Beastmen in space anyone?) to all of a sudden throw the gears not in reverse but pull the e-brake and pull a J-turn does not even come close to the long term view that the Studio has taken with 40k. To suddenly port over fantasy rules (when multiple gaming stores are getting huge pressure all over the US to push fantasy as it's taken a nose dive after 8th) would be counter productive for the Studio and the directions they've taken 40k and fantasy, they are well aware of this.

I have a feeling a lot of these rumormongers and they're "reliable rumor sources" are either A) Making it up, though I doubt it, B) Being feed BS to hide any possible true leaks, or C) rumor sources are making it up.

We've had Tau (march) and Chaos (May) "release dates" come and go. We only know that 6th Edition is "suppose" to drop but no clue when yet instead of carefully viewing all rumor sources and cross referencing who has been more accurate and who is just BS you post anything that pops up, no matter the absurdity of the rules resulting in any real clues to what is coming just vanishing under the clutter of BS.

Suggest to BOLS, someone with a good amount of time on they're hands take all the rumors from the last six months that BOLS has reported verse what has come true, now you can use two rough test to verify their accuracy by the those that were fairly accurate the six months leading up to the Necron codex and the current two week release pre-order drops. I place money that you'll realize that you've (BOLS editors) have been not only re-posting junk but that you're probably being use as a reverse Streisand effect of being feed fake info then GW denying it and those suddenly increasing the fake rumor's value.

The only question I have is why hasn't anyone hacked GW's email server yet? Seriously I doubt they have anything resembling IT security. Though I'm not condoning this action I'm just openly musing about it.

Morgan Darkstar
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Please, please, please, take a step back and look a the deluge of rumors for 6th Editions. From the larger scheme of the rumor lock down there is now such much junk being thrown out there that if anything does actually get out it it is being lost in the clutter.

You know, exactly the same thing happened just before the release of 5th.

Flammenwerfer13
05-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Which reinforces my point. BOLS is trying so hard to remain one of the foremost go to blogs for 40k they're now over reaching for any and all rumors to the point it's achieving the opposite of their intended effect.

All I ask is better vetting with cross-referencing multiple sources before throwing something out there.

Personal I'd like to see them call people out on continuously giving bad rumors if need be but that might back fire if they did it off the cuff.

Lexington
05-07-2012, 06:55 PM
It did? IIRC, we had an almost complete (much moreso than the "Pancake" Edition) version of 5th Edition floating around the internet a good six months before release. Rumors weren't particularly crazy as I recall, since everyone knew what it was going to be like anyway.

DarkLink
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Flammenwerfer13, your opinion is mistaken, with no reason to reject and insult the sources providing the current set of rumors who have, in the past, been very accurate on multiple occasions. You are confusing sources, mixing up actual bad sources with good sources, and dismissing said rumors on this confusion and the nonsensical reasoning that you 'don't like the sound of' the rumors.

You mention the tau and chaos rumors? Those came from a single source who was outed by someone who actually knew what they were talking about. These 6th ed rumors come from a completely different set of sources, in particular TasteyTaste who I know for a fact has a pretty reliable source and has proven it in the past, specifically with Sisters, Grey Knights and Necrons.

I'll add that there are several rumor guys over on other message boards who have stopped giving out rumors precisely because of threads like this. They'd post stuff and it would be 90% accurate, because details change at the last minute, and yet every time they posted something new someone popped up decrying the rumors as lies. So chill out, and stop taking this so frikin' seriously. Don't bite the hand that feeds.

miteyheroes
05-08-2012, 04:03 AM
Now throw on top of that that GW has for a long time tried to distance 40k from it's original roots (no more dwarfs and Beastmen in space anyone?)

Whilst I agree that for a long time GW tried to distance 40k from it's roots, in recent years we've been having moves back towards them. Ymgarl Genestealers? Jokaero, FFS! I never believed we'd see them again. Or Forgeworld releasing all their old-school looking kits. Or the 25th Anniversary Model. Or this year's Games Day model... Or the Donarion Fiend (although 3rd ed isn't really 'roots'!)

Chuck777
05-08-2012, 10:51 AM
If rumors come from a reliable source, then they should be shared with the masses. BolS isn't going around asking ShiftyMcNewMember to give them rumors, they're going with their old reliable sources.

A lot of the rumors we receive are derived from projects that are in their early to middle lives, which means there is still time for GW to re-start and re-focus before they release the projects. This often means that what we see in the rumors proves to be only half right. That's the nature of rumors though. They are there to get us excited and help us plan our gaming lives because GW has completely outsourced that aspect of their business to the rumor mongers (most companies have a 6 month product calendar to help inform their customers).

Flammenwerfer13
05-08-2012, 06:42 PM

Whilst I agree that for a long time GW tried to distance 40k from it's roots, in recent years we've been having moves back towards them. Ymgarl Genestealers? Jokaero, FFS! I never believed we'd see them again. Or Forgeworld releasing all their old-school looking kits. Or the 25th Anniversary Model. Or this year's Games Day model... Or the Donarion Fiend (although 3rd ed isn't really 'roots'!)

You're looking at the re-release of old 1st/2nd editions models in modern trappings. My point was about the original launch of 40k and how it was just Fantasy in space and over time they throw out those elements and distance 40k so it would in a overall glance it wouldn't resemble Fantasy. Though if you're going down this road I'd like my IG have their Rhinos, Predators and Land Raider tanks back :D! So neither the bugs, monkeys or tanks you've mentioned have anything to do with Fantasy but were just old school models getting a fresh rebut. I pointed out Squats (Space Dwarfs) and Imperial Guard Beastmen because both direct ports from Fantasy at the time.

Now as for the Rumors, all of you have been saying "but they're reliable sources" yet if you go back the same sources you claim were discredited had all their "rumors" spammed all over BOLS front page even after they were outed (reference Tau and Black Templar to name a few). Dark Angel Rumors came and went just as fast and those "reliable" sources you do claim were the same ones pointing out Chaos for May. Follow the rumors backwards through the internet and you'll see most are just wishful thinking that took on a life of its own.

Now everything as of late has not even passed the smell test. I'm not pointing to anyone one rule I'm pointing to the over all postings across the board going back about two weeks (flyers, 6e and Chaos). They've all taken a leap off the deep end into the absurd. As I asked in the original post, BOLS should do a over all track record of each rumormonger and see who is really on their game and who is just feeding us junk. You'll be surprised how quickly these "reliable" sources start not being so "reliable".

My gut feeling is as followed, we're either being feed bunk by people desperate for the attention of seeming like their in the "know". And/Or GW in some strange spark of logic (mind you these are the same people that have let Matt Ward write Codices) is feeding out disinformation to hide any real leaks (which I SERIOUSLY doubt there are) and flush out anyone who shouldn't be "leaking".

If any of these leaks were real we'd seem them coming out of China (yes its a weak spot in GW supply chain) that would at least give us all at least a few weeks heads up for the printed books, from Memphis where they make the US models (which is where the Gryphon Models shredded box picture came from about two months back) and Nottingham where GW is located at. Atop all this any real leaks are covered under trade secret rulings thus opening up someone to a civil lawsuit. No one with any sense in a position of actually knowing what's really going on will risk both their career and livelihood over a few "leaks" for what ever personal reason they might have to release a "leak".

My short answer to everything that's being posted is "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while" for anyone claiming they come from reliable sources. So everything being posted is really just garbage as everyone is so desperate for some kind of information that they'll cling to the outlandish no more how crazy it is.

All this goes back to this, BOLS please stop posting garage as it degrades your reputation. Do a better job vetting and holding the line against the absurd and you'll quickly see the attention whores vanish.

Flammenwerfer13
05-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Looks like it's starting to turn out I'm right on these so call 6e rumors. Seems someone jumped the gun and mistook a GW tournament with allies as 6e rules.

Again underling my point people are scrapping for anything because they really know nothing.

DarkLink
05-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Looks like it's starting to turn out I'm right on these so call 6e rumors. Seems someone jumped the gun and mistook a GW tournament with allies as 6e rules.

Really? That's what you got out of today's BOLS post? That GW released an ally chart that perfectly matched the one in the 6th ed rumors, and you take that as evidence that there won't be an ally chart with exactly those pairings when 6th ed comes out? Brilliant detective work there, sherlock.

Your gut feeling has no attachment to reality. We can be about 90% certain that those "blind squirrel's" rumors are, however, and in that other 10% then the rumors were either just misstatements/misreadings or stuff that was in but got changed.

MC Tic Tac
05-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Really? That's what you got out of today's BOLS post? That GW released an ally chart that perfectly matched the one in the 6th ed rumors, and you take that as evidence that there won't be an ally chart with exactly those pairings when 6th ed comes out? Brilliant detective work there, sherlock.

Its the same allies matrix as last years doubles in the UK, so actually 6th ed rumors came after that.

See these rumors from 1998....

http://web.archive.org/web/200101241100/http://www.portent.net/rumours/previous/40k/40k_july98.html

Now some of them are very very familiar..... and totally not original.

MorbidAri
05-12-2012, 04:18 PM
I have to agree with the OP. Those leaked 6th edition play test rules are legit. Having played them, even in their broken unfinished state, I prefer them over 5th by a long shot. The positive feedback from the IC has been enough that I highly doubt they would scrap those rules in favour of rules that drove fantasy players away in droves.

You can hate on GW all you want and say they are run by bumbling morons (well GK codex was written by a bumbling moron) but even they aren't THAT stupid.

These 8th fantasy rules for 6th especially are total bull. My guess is that they were spread to build hype for 6th. When people expect random charges and then are surprised to see that it isn't the case, they will jump with joy and buy a new army.

GW spreading their own rumours seems to be the only marketing they know.

Chuck777
05-12-2012, 05:07 PM
I have to agree with the OP. Those leaked 6th edition play test rules are legit. Having played them, even in their broken unfinished state, I prefer them over 5th by a long shot. The positive feedback from the IC has been enough that I highly doubt they would scrap those rules in favour of rules that drove fantasy players away in droves.

You can hate on GW all you want and say they are run by bumbling morons (well GK codex was written by a bumbling moron) but even they aren't THAT stupid.

These 8th fantasy rules for 6th especially are total bull. My guess is that they were spread to build hype for 6th. When people expect random charges and then are surprised to see that it isn't the case, they will jump with joy and buy a new army.

GW spreading their own rumours seems to be the only marketing they know.

Unless Fantasy has become wildly popular and GW wants to bring that success to 40k.

No one has sales data, all we have is anecdotal evidence supporting both sides of the Fantasy debate.

Those who post on the internet account for a tiny fraction of the total players. Take my local meta for example. Of the 30 or so people that regularly play Fantasy and/or 40k, less than 10 regularly visit internet forums and wargame news sites. Those are regulars who play the game week in and week out. The throngs of casual players that come and go almost always get their news/rumors from the store owner or white dwarf.

What the internet decries as a terrible edition, the world at large could see as a great edition.

Remember folks, those who complain the most, post the most because they have an axe to grind.

Flammenwerfer13
05-13-2012, 09:40 AM

Your gut feeling has no attachment to reality. We can be about 90% certain that those "blind squirrel's" rumors are, however, and in that other 10% then the rumors were either just misstatements/misreadings or stuff that was in but got changed.

I try best to follow a occam's razor approach to all rumors. We infact know right GW is on rumor/leak lock down from the main studio in Nottingham. This means anyone who is actually lose enough to any of the real information won't leak do to being fired on the spot and then face a possible civil lawsuit from GW for violations of trade secrets and their contract with GW. So that being said we're currently on a two week pre-release notice with a possible month notice on any new kits as the GW hq in England preps advertisement for the two week pre-release info. So this all means in the short that 99% of the current GW 6e rumors are bunk. There is to much at stack for gw to lose control of their information on 6e for any leaks to come out. Anything that makes any sense is turning out to be something other then it was thought to be. Example, allies turn out to be something to do with a tournament atop past global campaigns and tournaments that gw has done before with allies.

We know facts that can logically disqualify a lot of the rumors with only a quick glance.

So as time rolls on and information is freed we'll find out the truth. We'll see that the current 6e rumors are false and that BOLS vain attempt to seem relevant will only make then look more irrelevant in the rumor department.

Chuck777
05-13-2012, 10:12 AM
I try best to follow a occam's razor approach to all rumors. We infact know right GW is on rumor/leak lock down from the main studio in Nottingham. This means anyone who is actually lose enough to any of the real information won't leak do to being fired on the spot and then face a possible civil lawsuit from GW for violations of trade secrets and their contract with GW. So that being said we're currently on a two week pre-release notice with a possible month notice on any new kits as the GW hq in England preps advertisement for the two week pre-release info. So this all means in the short that 99% of the current GW 6e rumors are bunk. There is to much at stack for gw to lose control of their information on 6e for any leaks to come out. Anything that makes any sense is turning out to be something other then it was thought to be. Example, allies turn out to be something to do with a tournament atop past global campaigns and tournaments that gw has done before with allies.

We know facts that can logically disqualify a lot of the rumors with only a quick glance.

So as time rolls on and information is freed we'll find out the truth. We'll see that the current 6e rumors are false and that BOLS vain attempt to seem relevant will only make then look more irrelevant in the rumor department.

Look at what has happened with Fantasy, there have been tons of leaks, most of which proved true, even though GW is supposed to be as secure as Fort Knox.

When you can reveal info anonymously over the internet, leaking is really, really hard to control. We could be getting info from the designers, marketers, janitors, play-testers, test audiences and/or minimum wage retail employees. The only thing GW really needs to keep locked down is the Hobbit stuff. Other than that, as long as GW has plausible deniability, they will be safe.

DarkLink
05-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Right, we don't actually know what the Hobbit deal stipulates in regards to rumor control. GW's certainly changed their policy, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they've completely locked down on rumors. That's supposition on our part, but they could still do small, intentional leaks or it may not even affect 40k at this time.

Ironically, all this stuff about a rumors lock down is a rumor itself, meaning by flammen's logic there's a 99% chance that it is false. Maybe we should just leave the rumors and wild random guessing to the people like TasteyTaste and Stickmonkey who have been accurate on a regular basis with their rumors, seeing as none of us actually have the slightest clue what we're talking about.

By the way, occam's razor means a preference for the theory that makes the fewest assumptions. Since we have one group of people leaking rumors who have regularly been accurate in the past and genuinely get to see stuff early, and another group of people (us) who know absolutely nothing other than what they or GW tells us, and GW doesn't really tell us anything, the simplest theory is to believe the rumor guys that have a good track record. Otherwise, we have to assume that we know more than the rumor guys, and that the rumor guys suddenly stopped being accurate out of the blue. That's poor logic.

The Shadow King
05-14-2012, 09:05 AM

No, no, a thousand times no. Those 'early leaked rules' from last year were horrible. I hope they never release them. Given the increase in popularity fantasy got after the release of the 8th edition rules, I trust 40k being more like that will be a good thing.

MarneusCalgar
05-14-2012, 10:01 AM
What the hell is this thread about?

So... you pretend a website mainly about Warhammer to donīt be at the edge of the news?

Itīs the readerīs choice to read them or not, and to decide whether they are true or false

Rapture
05-14-2012, 11:19 AM
So... you pretend a website mainly about Warhammer to donīt be at the edge of the news?

Itīs the readerīs choice to read them or not, and to decide whether they are true or false
Some people just like a source they use (especially for news) to have standards. There is a reason that you don't see articles in the NY Times speculating about whether or not Paris Hilton got impregnated by Obama.

Flammenwerfer13
05-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Some people just like a source they use (especially for news) to have standards. There is a reason that you don't see articles in the NY Times speculating about whether or not Paris Hilton got impregnated by Obama.

That about sums up my thoughts. I like BOLS because it attempts to have some kind of standards I'm just asking them try and hold to it. Of all the websites I go to for 40k (15-20 a day, yes I'm a 40k junkie) BOLS is usually the best quality of articles.

Chuck777
05-15-2012, 11:33 PM
That about sums up my thoughts. I like BOLS because it attempts to have some kind of standards I'm just asking them try and hold to it. Of all the websites I go to for 40k (15-20 a day, yes I'm a 40k junkie) BOLS is usually the best quality of articles.

Then think of the rumors articles like the Op-Ed section of a news paper and IGNORE THEM.

Rapture
05-16-2012, 06:19 AM
Then think of the rumors articles like the Op-Ed section of a news paper and IGNORE THEM.

Maybe you are MISSING THE POINT (are caps supposed to help somehow?). There is no Op-Ed section - there is the front page.

Personally, after the ridiculous Summer of Flyers things that happened, I find 40k rumors to generally be a waste of time. Credibility goes a long way in the leaked information game. I want the site to be credible so I can believe in what it is saying. When crap rumors are posted along with reasonable rumors, they all become as valuable as the least valuable.

Kawauso
05-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Personally, after the ridiculous Summer of Flyers things that happened, I find 40k rumors to generally be a waste of time. Credibility goes a long way in the leaked information game. I want the site to be credible so I can believe in what it is saying. When crap rumors are posted along with reasonable rumors, they all become as valuable as the least valuable.

But they're rumours. There are always going to be 'crap' ones...because there will never be a complete set of information as long as things are in the 'rumour' stage.

How would you propose things get vetted, exactly? There are a handful of reliable sources as far as 40k rumours goes, and they get things wrong all the time for one reason or another...that's not likely to change, ever.

DrLove42
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Maybe you are MISSING THE POINT (are caps supposed to help somehow?). There is no Op-Ed section - there is the front page.

Yes the headline is on the front page.

But you don't have to click the link. So just don't

Rumours are rumours. I'd rather have rumours that don't all pan out, than absolutly no information until the day the codex is out

Rapture
05-16-2012, 01:30 PM
But they're rumors. There are always going to be 'crap' ones...because there will never be a complete set of information as long as things are in the 'rumor' stage.

How would you propose things get vetted, exactly? There are a handful of reliable sources as far as 40k rumors goes, and they get things wrong all the time for one reason or another...that's not likely to change, ever.
Care, as the OP suggested, is the only way to avoid propagating random pandering. For example, the rumor brigade that insisted on the 'Summer of Fliers' simply waited a year after their failure and then started the same song and dance all over again. Source selection is a great start. Flip-flopping is common in the 40k rumors game and making stupid assertions and then simply staying quiet about the mistake (lie) is even more popular.

The basis of the OP's suggestion/complain is reasonable and the merits of the solution are obvious even if the solution is difficult to obtain/measure.

Yes the headline is on the front page.

But you don't have to click the link. So just don't

Rumours are rumours. I'd rather have rumours that don't all pan out, than absolutly no information until the day the codex is out

No one asked for no information, simply a little care is selecting what is made available through BoLS. If BoLS keeps crapping out random, baseless rumors, then BoLS's rumors will be worth nothing more than the ranting of anyone else on the internet. News, especially rumors, is only as reliable as the other news being given by the source (BoLS, in this case).

ksoh75
05-16-2012, 04:47 PM
I say deal with it...this gives me something to read at work.....

MarneusCalgar
05-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Iīm sorry... but I still donīt understans why all of this whiney thread...

If you donīt like to read rumours... donīt open the threads

Rapture
05-17-2012, 11:26 AM
The idea is that some thought go into which rumors to propagate - not unreasonable and very difficult to argue against. For example, the latest rumor post even said (in summary), "This is stupid and not even we believe it to be remotely possible." That is a good start. Listing the specific source of the rumors would be even better.

The "don't read it" argument is obtuse for the reasons previously stated.

A source close to GW production told me that the 6th edition box set will be Eldar vs. Tau. That is both desirable and practically impossible - put it on the front page and it will generate clicks. You could argue that I don't have any rumor track record, but I am only a few guesses away from being equally reliable as some.

DarkLink
05-17-2012, 12:17 PM
And you wouldn't even be close to to as accurate as many, and those are the ones that matter. So what are you whining about?

Chuck777
05-17-2012, 12:37 PM
A lot of the rumors may well have been true at some point in time. GW does not put out a long term calendar like most game companies, this leads me to believe their schedule is much less fixed than other company's schedules. Things get promoted to "happening this summer" then get taken off the schedule as other things become more prominent.

Last summer could easily have been the Summer of Fliers but there was probably a hiccup - maybe one of the models wasn't ready, maybe the rules were bad, maybe there wasn't enough room in White Dwarf, maybe they decided to hold off until after 6th edition dropped - who knows.

Same thing holds true with rules rumors. We are receiving rumors that are, most likely, out of date. We're seeing a tiny snap shot of design process as it existed months prior.

If you don't like rumors, then don't read the rumor articles. BOLS will not stop posting them because they generate a lot of traffic compared to normal articles.

Rapture
05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
And you wouldn't even be close to to as accurate as many, and those are the ones that matter.

Have you tracked the success rate of even those considered to be the most reliable? It would be valuable information to have and seriously enhance, in my opinion, the rumors that are published on this site. Sure, almost all have been right about something, but even if I was right about the starter set my rumor information would still be worthless.

Things get promoted "happening this summer" then get taken off the schedule as other things become more prominent.

Last summer could easily have been the Summer of Fliers but there was probably a hiccup - maybe one of the models wasn't ready, maybe the rules were bad, maybe there wasn't enough room in White Dwarf, maybe they decided to hold off until after 6th edition dropped - who knows.
I agree - kind of. It could have been, but remember that this is a very large company with an involved and complicated idea-to-shelf process. Things happen very gradually as different departments work toward a common goal. Late term alterations would seem very impractical to me.

Same thing holds true with rules rumors. We are receiving rumors that are, most likely, out of date. We're seeing a tiny snap shot of design process as it existed months prior.
Rumors generally don't come with background information. It would be interesting to have, and, in my opinion, would greatly increase their value.

If you don't like rumors, then don't read the rumor articles. BOLS will not stop posting them because they generate a lot of traffic compared to normal articles.
The arguments against this are clear so I won't bother repeating them.

So what are you whining about?

Whining? I will assume that you simply prefer to diffuse arguments that you don't appreciate by being pejorative as opposed to assuming that you are an idiot. Although, I am not sure which is worse.

Chuck777
05-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Have you tracked the success rate of even those considered to be the most reliable? It would be valuable information to have and seriously enhance, in my opinion, the rumors that are published on this site. Sure, almost all have been right about something, but even if I was right about the starter set my rumor information would still be worthless.

But that's the thing. A lot of the rumors could in fact be true at one point in time. Remember, rumors are often based on play testing and rules writers constantly change rules based on playtesting.

Rumors are not meant to be facts or previews of the rules that will go into a codex/rule book. Rather, they are meant to show us where GW may be headed and what they are thinking about.

Rapture
05-17-2012, 02:34 PM
But that's the thing. A lot of the rumors could in fact be true at one point in time. Remember, rumors are often based on play testing and rules writers constantly change rules based on playtesting.

Rumors are not meant to be facts or previews of the rules that will go into a codex/rule book. Rather, they are meant to show us where GW may be headed and what they are thinking about.
The argument isn't that rumors shouldn't exist, only that more care go into them. It certainly wouldn't hurt anyone and would likely improve their value. Knowing that a rumor comes from a 5 star source and was based on information 4 months old is much more interesting than just knowing the rumor - especially when the rumor itself reeks of ridiculousness.

DarkLink
05-17-2012, 02:46 PM
The rumors that make it on the BOLS frontpage basically all come from sources with a proven track record. With the sole noteable example of ghost21 (who accurately predicted one thing, but then posted a bunch of tau rumors which turned out to be lies when another source called him out on some of the stuff he'd claimed), they have people who have accurately predicted a lot of the contents of multiple codices. TasteyTaste, for example, had early rumors on Sisters, Grey Knights, and Necrons at the very least, and I'm pretty sure he was involved in the rumors for older stuff as well (I just can't confirm that off the top of my head).

There are also a number of posters on dakka, warseer and a few other sites who are also well known as reliable sources. Several of them you can pretty much take as word of god, though they usually post infrequently.

Overall, what you'll see on BoLS is probably going to be maybe 80-90% accurate. The bulk of the rumors are true, but since a lot of these guys only get brief glimpses they may have misread a rule. It's also common for them to see stuff well before the printers, so what they saw may have gotten removed from the codex or changed.

Just for an example, here's the list of rumors that I'd compiled back before the GK codex, from some of the sources mentioned. Compare and contrast to the actual codex:

Special Characters:
Lord "Draigo" LR cost.
Draigo is a GK Grandmaster and is very nasty. (Eternal, t5, 5 attacks, psyker mastery 2, strength 10 sword vs daemons/psykers

Squad granted initiative 10
-Jaws like power which removes models from play without any save. template vs line, but no MC modifier for initiative
-selected unit is grabbed and brought near libby with deep strike rules
-Power which makes units within certain range take difficult/dangerous terrain test.

Grand Master "Mordrack" Storm Raven Cost
Brother Captain Stern
Castellan Crowe

3 named inquisitors Valeria,coteaz and karamazov. Coteaz is a daemon hunter inq, kara is the witch hunter and val is the xenos inq. They are armed acordingly.
Deamon hosts are in as henchmen as are death cult assassins and psykers.
An inquisitor (not sure if its named or not) takes 3-12 henchmen

(Inquisitor special character)
Inquisitor Stats with some special abilities.

Dijin Blade (literally,just called something else)
Some forcefield and a cool. Lucas the trickster style ability based on a remaining wounds test... or die.

The Ghost terminators are nice as well. With stealth.... they are bought as an upgrade retinue to another special character and are 32pts a piece. And when the character takes a wound... (i think he has 3 or 4) then another terminator arrives out of nowhere to protect him... hehe.

There is a nasty special character with a storm shield but SS seems to be lacking on a whole.

Brother Captain Stern Level 2:
HH
Communion
Zone of Banishment: During his assault phase. All models friend and foe, within D6" (not stern), must take a strength test or be dragged into the warp... deamons re roll successful tests. These casualties do not count towards combat.

Castellan Crowe Level 1:
HH
Heroic Sacrifice
Cleansing Flame

Inquisitor Corteaz (100pts) Mastery 2:
HH
Sanctuary
Mind Blades

Pretty much all of the named characters come with special anti-daemon abilities. One of the SCs has wargear that causes any daemons who deep strike within 12" to suffer a mishap, for example.

HQ/
Grand Master
Grand Master rumoured to pick D3 units during deployment and giving them a special rule:
Makes them scoring (kinda neat for dread and or elite paladins)
Makes them re roll 1s to wound all game
Makes them have counter attack USR.
Makes them Scout
All these units are affected by the one choice.

(level1)
Hammerhand
Psychic communion - take test, if successfull GK player can modify reserve rolls by +1 or -1 and you can choose to modify after each roll.

Brother Captain
(level1)
Hammerhand
Psychic communion - take test, if successfull GK player can modify reserve rolls by +1 or -1 and you can choose to modify after each roll.

Brotherhood Champion
(level 1)
Hammerhand
Heroic Sacrifice- during either players assault phase, when the "chaplain" is taken off as a casualty. Is passed, make one attack against any one model that he was in B2B with. If the attack hits, the model is also removed as a casualty with no saves... if the attack misses then no effect. Remember he is WS 7...

Librarian
Librarian (mastery level 2) 150pts Can upgrade to level 3 for +50:
Each purchased power is +5 pts, but he comes with hammerhand for free.

Grandmaster: 6 6 4 4 3 5 3 10 2+

Brother Captain is the same minus a BS point.

Libbies, see GM stat line -1 WS -2 BS -1W -1I -1A

What, no one cares about the Brotherhood Champion? For shame!

BC and GM can take Psycannon, Incinerator, Psilencer, Servo Skulls (Up to 3), Blind Grenades, meltabombs, digi weapons, psybolt ammo, empyraen brain mines, psychostroke or rad grenades, and an Orbital Strike Relay. Oh and MC weapons. And all three are alll in Termi armour.

Inquisitor Corteaz
Inquisitor Karamazov
Inquisitor Valeria
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor
The inquisitors are one statline. The different options are just wargear and upgrades that fit their role. Inquisitors are about the cost of a current GK.
2. 443334310 4+ Stubborn, IC. (25pts)
(Vanilla) Inquisitors are not psykers.

Inquisitor Coteaz allows you to have Henchman warbands as troops. There are NO Inquisitorial Stormtroops, but you can take Warrior Acolytes who you can arm with Hot-Shot Lasguns if it makes you feel any better. It's a meh option at best. Crusaders Squad spam is going to be extremely prevalent I fear. You can take them as troops for plasma pistol cost per Crusader. Storm Shields and Power weapons. Each. It's going to be a mess.

-Valeria has a LOOOOOT of equipment. Here it is:
-She's an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor
-Also, Stubborn
-Stats: 4 4 3 3 3 4 3(5) 10 3+
-Power Armour; Frag, Krak, & Psyk-Out Nades; Laspistol
-Graviton Pistol: Range: 12" Strength: 10 AP: 1 Type: Pistol, One Shot
-Jacked it from an Alien Weaponsmith in the Ultima Segmentum apparently.
-Runes of Destiny: ALL (Armour or invul) Successful saves against her shooting or CC attacks must be rerolled.
-Eldar Runes she's taken over her career, but she ain't got no wraithbone batteries to make em work at full power
-Dagger of Midnight: Grants +2A (Included in profile) that MUST be rolled with different colored dice (Or separate I suppose) because if she rolls doubles with them, the attacks hit her instead.
-Stole this from an Eldar Pirate's corpse. Apparently the dagger is "controlled by a rebellious and bloodthirsty intelligence". Please perform an "Oogedy boogedy boo" after reading that.
-Hyperstone Maze: Can be used once per game in lieu of her CC attacks. Must be directed towards a character or MC in B2B contact. Target must roll a d6 and roll equal to or below their remaining wounds or be "trapped in the maze forever" AKA removed from play.
-Multi-faceted emerald that leads to a spooky sub-dimension, apparently
-Forceshield: 4+ Invul save
-Hand-mounted forcefield thingy.

Elites/
Techmarine
mastery 1
HH
Reconstruction- Start of TM movement, may re roll any repair roll.

Purifier Squad
Purifiers = Grey Knights that have a lot of anti horde options, they are the ones with the power that will do a wound on every engaged enemy model in cc on 4+.

HH
Cleansing Flame- Start of the assault in any player turn. All enemy -models- that are a part of the same assault suffer a wound on a 4+ before any blows are struck. Casualties count towards combat resolution.

Venerable Dreadnought
Fortitude- if passed (at start of GK turn) Nullifies any shaken stunned results.

-And yes, VenDreads are the only ones with Reinforced Aegis

Paladin Squad
Paladins are Ws5 55pts apoth + 75. min squad size of 1. Yes, paladins are indeed 2 wounded terminator armour greyknights. With allocation (thanks to wargear) they will be a tough unit... and for +15 points over a regular terminator! yes please... and the grand master can make them scoring oh yes!. (they can have an apothecary in the squad) Brotherhood Banner (terminator and paladin squads)
Paladin Options:
Force Halberds
Nemesis Deamon Hammers
Pair of Nemesis Falcions
Nemesis Warding Stave
Psycannon
Incinerators
Psylencers
Apothecary
Banner of Brotherhood
Entire unit can have psybolt ammunition
Any model can make any weapon Master Crafted at +5 pts per weapon.

HH
Holocaust- 12" Str5 Ap- Large Blast

Callidus- 145
Eversor- 130
Culexus-135
Vindicare- 145
8 8 4 4 2 7 4 10 4+ Assassin stat line.
The assassins have one singular "fluff" entry, that states their generic rules... 6+ FNP, Dodge Save etc... and then one page with the rules for each one (i think) stating wargear and rules. I do not believe they take up a slot.

Vindicare was very memorable....pick out opponents models for would allocation, can take out Inv save....for the entire game. Always wounds on 2+

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband
The unit is 3-12 and does not take up an elite.
ArcoFlagelant - FNP, CCwpn
Banisher- Can take eviscerator, units of deamons within 6" of him re roll succesful inv saves (ala nullzone)
Crusader- PW, SShield
Deamonhost- Lots of crazy stuff. No time to elaborate now.
DeathcultAssassin- 5+ invul, 2 PW.
Servitor- cheap, come with HB or MMelta for free. Can upgrade to PC (up to 3) will mindlock if no inquisitor is present.
WeaponSmith- Mini obliterator ( can pick, lascannon, mmelta, hflamer) Also adds bonus to the unit roll d6 add +1 for each after first.
1- no effect
2- +12" to the range of all guns
3- armoursaves improved by one
4- all shooting weapons are rending.
5- all models gain 5+ invul
6- "the works" roll twice on the table, apply both results. No result can be taken twice.
Mystic- basically a living teleport homer.
Psyker- power is the blast weapon power form the IG PBS.
WarriorAcolyte- guardsman grunt

Troops
Grey Knight Terminator Squad
44441429 terminator armour. 200pts for 5...
Terminators equipped with frag and krack grenades. Brotherhood Banner (terminator and paladin squads)
Hammerhand

Special Upgrade Character - Justicar Thawn
The terminator upgrade character special rule "i shall not yield" basically a 4+ WWB for the character.

Grey Knights Strike Squad (the regular GK's)
44441418 3+ at 1/5 of 100pts each.
Hammerhand
Warp Quake- Start of GK movement phase, lasts till GK start of next movement. All enemy teleport homers stop working, any enemy unit that deep strikes within 12" of the strike squad will suffer a mishap.

deepstrike

-For every five:
-Psilencer (Free!)
-Psycannon
-Incinerator

-All the Nemesis weapons (Any model!)
-Various point costs

-Psybolt Ammo
-Personal Teleporters
-Justicar can MC any of his weapons

how useful do you see PAGK being?

IMO very useful. Their power against deep strikers it better than the old mystics... two squads spread out give you a good 48" bubble of anti deep striking shenannigans... means your land raiders will be safe from DS'ing meltaguns... etc. The storm bolters make them good torrent of fire units and supported by dreadnoughts, and librarians with awesome powers.. they will the the grunts of the force and they are cheaper than they used to be... and can be upgraded to fulfill different roles... with a full 10 man squad comming in at 200pts I think they are an absolute bargain.

Bestial - Do you know by chance how much personal teleporters will be for GK strike squads? 6 pts per model.

Transports:
Rhino
Fortitude- if passed (at start of GK turn) Nullifies any shaken stunned results.
Razorback
Chimera

Fast/
StormRaven
Storm Raven is 5pts more than BA counterpart. But has psy power that allows it to ignore shaken and stunned. 1 fast attack option. the storm raven. cost 205 points ???? not sure why.

Possible other unit
Don't think they are the same as the current version [teleporting FA unit], they don't deepstrike on turn 1, though they can, it's similair to the upgrade ability Marshal showed, with a few extras (On top of being able to deepstrike on turn 1 that is). (what those extras are, my contact didn't know.)

Heavy Support/
Purgation Squad
purgation... same as before... 4 weapons, 20pt psycannon, free incinerators, and psilencers (whatever those are)
Cost of GK unit as they are GK's, just with weapons.
HH
Astral Aim- Shooting Phase, unit and attached characters may fire at any unit in range regardless of LOS. Target automatically gains 4+ cover that can't be modified.

Dreadnought
Dred info:
115 points
comes with MM and nemisis doomfist+ SB
smk launchers

psychic pilot
the aegis
reinforced aegis
PE- daeoms

Psy power: fortitude (belive it ignors shaken and stunned)

replace MM for twin linked, HF,HB,AC or plasma cannon/assult cannon or TL LC
replace Doomfist with: TL AC or ML

Extras:
serch light
psybolt ammo
psyflame ammo
warp stablisation field
true silver armour
extra armour
Meltagun (p99 40k 5th)
Multi-Melta (p99 40k 5th)
Melta Bombs (p63 40k 4th)

Nemesis Dreadknight (MC)
Dreadknight cost of vendetta:
t7 w4 2+sv/ 4+inv with lots of weapon upgrades including the heavy psycannon and super incinerator.

HH
Holocaust

MC, Dreadknight armour as armour (deepstrike 2+sv/4++) So im assuming he is a buffed up terminator Mephyston style. Can be given a personal teleporter (making him jump infantry and move up to 30" once per game for about the cost of a Dark Angel Land Speeder Typhoon)..
S7 WS 5

3A and 2 CC.

No one knows where they come from, be it Xenos or Dark Age of Technology stuff. The GKs basically refuse to say and tell everyone to F off who asks where they came from. They're basically used as Jes said on Warseer, to go toe to toe with big nasties like Daemon Princes and such. And apparently this thing is super hard to master so that's why we don't see more.

Land Raider (and variants, including redeemer)

Special Rules
ATSKNF
Combat Squads
Aegis (units targeted by powers, enemy psyker at -1ld for test) Units within 12" of a GK dreadnought targetted by powers psyker is at -4 "reinforced aegis"

also a lot of units can be upgraded with psybolt ammunition. Whatever that is... 20pts for the entire unit of GK's
No shrouding. As far as I know... but now GK's can have rhinos and razorbacks.

Nemesis force weapons ( I have no idea)... units are armed with nemesis swords. And units can upgrade any models to have force halberds at xpoints. the Halberd I believe adds 1 Initiative.

No drop pod. But GK strike squads are supposed to be able to take personal teleporters. This makes them jump infantry. And once per game it is rumored to allow them to make a 30" move, just move... not a on table deep strike. they Can shoot when they do this, but not charge.

But all GK vehicles are phykers... their go to power is to "cure" shaken or stunned at the start of a GK turn.
No gizmos to re roll saves... although there are these "brotherhood banners" for units.. so who knows maybe a re roll all ones a la spacewolf?

- Psyker Pilots
- Brotherhood of psykers
- Psyker Mastery Levels
- Preferred Enemy Deamons3. So far i don't know... other than the inquisitorial henchmen mobs, and the dreadnoughts/landraiders/stormravens. Squad based AT seems limited.

nemesis weapons, as far as i know are force weapons. However, because of how brotherhood of psykers works (a unit casts a psychic power as a singular entity) i believe this means that only one weapon can become a force weapon per turn (if you so choose to use it over hammerhands), and the rest are power weapons. Still, nothing to sneeze at.

-nemesis halberd: +1 initiative
-nemesis daemonhammer: +1 strength
-nemesis falchions: Force lightning claws
]-nemesis warding stave: Power weapon that conveys a 2++ invulnerable save. (i know. Madness.) they\'re 25-20 points per depending on the squad.
-daemonhammer - this entry confuses me. There\'s both a nemesis daemonhammer and a regular daemonhammer, but as far as i know, this one is a thunderhammer with daemonbane.

Falchions are taken in PAIRS as in the entry is "A pair of Nemesis Falchions" so yeah. I think Stormbolters act as pistols for the GKs as per the previous codex. Nemesis Force Sword is just a power weapon as far as I know. That was what it looked like when I last paged through the armoury section. Plus, why would Halberds and Nemesis Daemonhammers cost +5 points then? They'd be free as a tradeoff.

Psychic Powers

Smite- See C:SM

Quicksilver- Begining of own movement. Unit within 6" gains I 10 till end of turn.

Warp-Rift- Flamer Template JOTWW

Might of Titan- Beggining of librarians assault phase. Unit within 6" gains +1 str and extra D6 armour pen vs vehicles. Bonus is cumulative with hammerhand (yes, that means that S6 2D6 armour pen GK's is a go!..)

The Shrouding- Opponents shooting phase. All units within 6" benefit from stealth. And have 6+ cover even if in the open (so 5+ in the open and 3+ in most other cases)

Mind Blades- Start of any assault phase. Pick enemy unit within 6", they loose 1 toughness for the remainder of the assault.

Vortex of Doom- see C:SM

Sanctuary- Any enemy assault phase. Enemy units assaulting any GK unit within 12" of the librarian treat all terrain (including open ground) and difficult and dangerous terrain.

The Summoning- Librarian movement. Pick a friendly non vehicle unit. Place them within 6" of the librarian using the DS rules. any friendly unit on the battlefield not locked in combat.

each level [of psychic mastery] is number of powers you can use per turn.

The GK psyker rule states that the justicar is the one to take the hit. If not then one randomly determined member does. anything that targets psykers specifically.

If you look through them, you can see they're very accurate. There are a few errors, such as some confusion over what some of the nemesis force weapons do (falchions as lightning claws, daemonhammers as only +1 str), but overall it's pretty frikin' accurate.

Rapture
05-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I can't argue that some rumors aren't reasonable (some are even perfect), but whether or not most are true cannot be measured:

'Codex Chaos space Marines is almost finished and will be going to the printers soon' < accompanied by a lovely double uncertainty regarding timing
'The Black Templar Codex is being worked on'
'X codex will have a new HQ that will make some units count as troops'
'X codex will be more like some previous version of X codex'
'X codex will be here within two years' < a personal favorite

Those are only the rumors that don't mean anything (as evidenced by the frequent 'unless something changes' caveats to follow them). They can be fun to think over for a minute, but detract from the credibility of more meaningful/direct rumors. The blatantly wrong rumors are mostly cyclical pandering (how many times have we heard about upcoming plastic stormtroopers?) and show their heads when the rumor market is drying up.

If some of the older (but not by much) rumors are to be believed, we have a double header of Chaos (already running a little late) and Eldar codices within the next month (and both before 6th). It may happen, but seems pretty unlikely.

What I am saying is that there is room for BoLS to improve the rumors posts. I visit this site primarily for that purpose, and a more reliable approach with accountability would make the site more valuable than other rumor sites.

Chuck777
05-17-2012, 04:35 PM
The argument isn't that rumors shouldn't exist, only that more care go into them. It certainly wouldn't hurt anyone and would likely improve their value. Knowing that a rumor comes from a 5 star source and was based on information 4 months old is much more interesting than just knowing the rumor - especially when the rumor itself reeks of ridiculousness.

Sadly, I don't think they can reveal how old the material is because it would tip off GW as to who the informants are. :(