PDA

View Full Version : Traveling on Airplane with Miniatures

herigonz
05-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Hello everybody,

As the title implies, I'm curious about how difficult/easy it is to travel with your miniatures as far as airplanes go. I've had to trouble with all sorts of random junk ranging from a computer to electronics for all sorts of projects, but never with miniatures.

I own a few of the GW and Army Transport cases so that wouldn't be an issue. But are some of the things considered to be "too sharp" or potential weapons? Do you normally have to go and clear things before hand with anybody?

I figure plenty of people do this with their miniatures to travel to Adepticon and all sorts of other major tournaments. As delicate as things are, I'd rather not check the cases and would prefer to carry on but I'm not sure I have a choice.

So, can anybody shed some light on the issue for me?

DrLove42
05-04-2012, 09:41 AM
I've never tried.

All I know is that if a nail file or a fork isn't allowed on the plane, the metal power sword sure as hell won't be.

And I jsut remember the old story from the internet - FW resin is the exact same density and reading on an x-ray machine as Semtex. Not sure that ones actually true though so :P

Kaika87
05-04-2012, 09:58 AM
I was worried about this sort of thing when I flew to Adepticon, but it ended up being no hassle at all. Obviously, rule #1 is NEVER check your minis, but I went through security (with forgeworld parts I might add) and had no trouble.

herigonz
05-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Perfect! I was just worried I'd end up needing to check them in which case I'd simply want to package them in boxes marked fragile and such. I've seen how they toss bags though and thats enough to make me shudder.

Interestingly every time I've flown out with odd items it was through Austin-Bergstrom but flying out of Houston Hobby this time. I kinda want to help introduce some cousins of mine to the hobby and while they might have a few models by the time I go down there, it's just easier to take a few of my own.

MarneusCalgar
05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I work in an airport, here in Spain, in Madridīs Airport, Barajas, and I can solve this for you...

After 11-S in NYC, 7-J in London and 11-M in Madrid, all the airlines went under an agreement in order to do more restrictives their controls on every airport...

You can have your miniatures on the plane by two ways:

a) Always check them in, inside your luggages... You can do it, no problem, the only bad thing itīs that you can have all the miniatures broken at arrival.

b) Wearing them as hand luggage / carry on... and always introducing into the rays the recipient into you transport them

Kaika87
05-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Probably a good idea to get to the airport eaaaaarly though, in case you get a particularly anal TSA agent.

krittoris
05-04-2012, 11:37 AM
everytime i go on holidays i take mine in a plastic gw case. no proplems, i have metal, plastic and resin models in the army and havent been pulled up once. :)

Defenestratus
05-04-2012, 11:52 AM
in case you get a particularly anal TSA agent.

Usually the words "Anal" and "TSA" have a different combined meaning altogether.

MaltonNecromancer
05-04-2012, 11:58 AM
All I know is that if a nail file or a fork isn't allowed on the plane, the metal power sword sure as hell won't be.

I would pay good money to watch some emetophiliac failure of a human being try to actually murder someone with a blunt, bendy pewter 1:65 power sword he can barely hold between finger and thumb, and get destroyed for his troubles. Frankly, I applaud the tenacity of the terrorist who tries; there's a determination there you just have to admire.

DrLove42
05-04-2012, 12:30 PM
I would pay good money to watch some emetophiliac failure of a human being try to actually murder someone with a blunt, bendy pewter 1:65 power sword he can barely hold between finger and thumb, and get destroyed for his troubles. Frankly, I applaud the tenacity of the terrorist who tries; there's a determination there you just have to admire.

Oh yeah its not actually dangerous. But airline security is lnly a few steps away from tying cutlery to the tables in airport restauaunts and banning people with fingernails longer than half an inch.

And lets face it...you could do more damage with a metal dread in a sock :-P

Defenestratus
05-04-2012, 02:05 PM

I fly on board with big needles for my diabetic care. I'm talking like, huge syringes that I've used as flavorizing injectors for roasts :P

bfmusashi
05-04-2012, 05:17 PM
I remember another thread, I think it was on here, suggesting the purchase of a starter pistol. You pack the starter pistol in with the minis, declare that there is a firearm in your bag at check in. The TSA then keeps super track of the bag (it counts as a real gun, and no one wants to lose one of those). I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

bfmusashi
05-04-2012, 05:19 PM
My mistake, it wasn't a thread on here, but here's a blog entry on it. http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/09/expensive_camer.html

Lunar Camel
08-24-2012, 12:56 AM
How about paint? Anybody have any experiences with traveling with paint (any type)? Is it easier to carry it on or put in your luggage? Since the luggage compartments aren't usually pressurized, I was wondering if that would make the pots burst.

I would hate to get off the plane only to find a soup of colors.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanx!

DrLove42
08-24-2012, 04:22 AM
Well....you could carry it in your hand luggage, but would need t go into individual bags to get through security. Someone taking a bunch of little liqid bottles on also might attract some unwanted attention

I doubt the pressre would make things explode. Things liek Shampoo bottles, toothpaste and the like all fly without rupturing.