PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Forge

Camael
04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
So, I just started out, and I was wondering, is taking a master of the forge worth it for a Vanilla SM army?

energongoodie
05-01-2012, 01:25 AM
I think he is if you mount him on a bike and give him a conversion beamer.

Sure
05-01-2012, 09:33 AM
He's totally worth it...but don't waste one point on him with wargear. He's a nice, (relatively) cheap HQ unit that you run with a tactical squad to provide and extra flamer template and power fist...plus the twin plasma pistol is nice. You can also put him in the back to give some base-holding scouts a little extra oomph.

But what he does to your list is so much better. First, he's got the ability to give you Space Marine Pathfinders. Scouts with camo cloaks/telion in a fortifed ruin have a 2+ cover. They're good for holding down the fort.
Also, all dreads can be taken for Elite OR Heavy. That means you can go nuts with the Dreadnoughts (like say you want multiple riflemen AND Ironclads) OR if you really like the other Elite choices you can have Sternguard and Assault terminators and multiple dreadnoughts. It allows for some very fun lists.

If you're looking for a hero to be the up-front bad-*** who the enemy fears, though, the Master of the Forge is the worst choice in the codex.

Paul
05-01-2012, 10:44 AM
If you want badass techmarines, play Black Templars :P

bethor
05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
I love my MotF. It allows me to drop 6 pods full of dreads for the assault of the ancients...
That being said, if you are just starting out, I'd recomend the libby or a chaplain for your marines. You will get a lot more general use out of either of them. The MotF is more a fun choice for running extra dreads.

Just my $.02

Camael
05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Ok, because my thought is to give him the conversion beamer and then stand him on the top floor of a bolstered ruin for the whole game. Is this good or bad?

Sure
05-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Not my preferred method, but it's worth the 20 points in the right list. Just don't put him up there alone. Give him a squad to absorb insta-kill shots.

Tynskel
05-03-2012, 08:42 AM
The master of the forge load makes him a great support character for a tactical squad.
If you go nuts, you can pack a punch...

Drop Pod
Vulkan
Master of the Forge
Tactical Squad
-combi-flamer, flamer.

Whee!

Wolfshade
05-03-2012, 08:47 AM
The master of the forge load makes him a great support character for a tactical squad.
If you go nuts, you can pack a punch...

Drop Pod
Vulkan
Master of the Forge
Tactical Squad
-combi-flamer, flamer.

Whee!
So does that need to go in "Fav 40k Trick!"?
Also, how come a massive servo harness takes up the space of 1 when they are often bigger and bulkier than jump pack which takes up 2?!

Tynskel
05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
the arms wrap around you... maybe?

not quite enough flamers. I forgot to give the MotF a combi-flamer, too.

whee! 5 flamer templates!

realistically, the only way to get more flamers is Burna Boys!
Command squad would work, too.

ack, uh oh, I am going crazy.
Drop Pod
Vulkan
Command squad
–4 Flamers
Master of the Forge
–combi-flamer
Techmarine
–servo harness
–combi-flamer
Techmarine
–servo harness
–combi-flamer
Techmarine
–servo harness
–combi-flamer

ahhh... feel much better...

herigonz
05-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Drop Pod
Vulkan
Command squad
–4 Flamers
Master of the Forge
–combi-flamer
Techmarine
–servo harness
–combi-flamer
Techmarine
–servo harness
–combi-flamer
Techmarine
–servo harness
–combi-flamer

heh, technically I think that list is illegal since Vulkan is not a Captain and I don't think the Master of the Forge can take a retinue like that. Having said that, you could always just throw in some Sternguard Veterans and give them either Combi-Flamers (to still have the precious special ammo) or Flamers outright.

Might need to bring 'em in 2 different Drop Pods too tho. :(

Of course "nothing beats" a squad of 20 Burna Boys (or 19 with a Big Mek) in an open topped Battlewagon. Depending on the squad getting flamed, 140-160 Strength 4 potential wounds.

krittoris
05-04-2012, 11:48 AM
heh, technically I think that list is illegal since Vulkan is not a Captain and I don't think the Master of the Forge can take a retinue like that. Having said that, you could always just throw in some Sternguard Veterans and give them either Combi-Flamers (to still have the precious special ammo) or Flamers outright.

Might need to bring 'em in 2 different Drop Pods too tho. :(

Of course "nothing beats" a squad of 20 Burna Boys (or 19 with a Big Mek) in an open topped Battlewagon. Depending on the squad getting flamed, 140-160 Strength 4 potential wounds.

as you can see the comand squad inlcudes a company champion and 4 veterens with flamers, the 3 techmarines are seperate elites choices.

it should read:

HQ
vulkhan he'stan.
Comand squad; company champion, 4x flamers, drop pod.
master of the forge; combi flamer.

ELITES
techmarine; servo harness, combi flamer.

that numbers 8 models, so if all the independant characters join the comand squad, they can fit into its drop pod.

but you are correct, no comand squad for vulkhan

krittoris
05-04-2012, 11:49 AM

I counter you with; a squad of 20 Burna Boys (or 19 with a Big Mek) in an open topped Battlewagon.