PDA

View Full Version : What fantasy events would you like to see from Black Library in the future?

pgarfunkle
04-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Taking inspiration from Levitas' topic in the 40k background boards (shamelessly pinching lol) I'm asking what events would you like to see more of from Black Library or perhaps it's not events you crave but specific topics.

As someone who is starting a wood elves army I would to see more from their perspective (looking forward to the book about Orion by the way) particularly their origin, changing from the Asur to the Asrai. I'm hoping that the time of legend series is heading in this direction.

I'd also like to see more from Chris Wraight about mages like his masters of magic book I think he portrayed the dangers of human magic in warhammer really well.

So how about you?

ElectricPaladin
04-30-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm pretty new to this game as well, but I can say that I would love to read more from the Lizardmen perspective. I know that a lot of Lizardmen aren't really people in the same way that humans, dwarves, elves, and so on are, but some are. Skinks are basically people, Kroxigors are kind of dumb people, and Slaan are people, albeit ones with a weird sense of time and space. A book of Lizardmen fiction would be awesome.

Mr.Pickelz
04-30-2012, 03:17 PM
I would like to see a more in depth look into the dwarven wars, against chaos, elves, etc...
Showcasing the use of runes and dwarven technology vs Chaos magic and mutation poses a lot of cool imagery possibilities. :D

Edit: Also showing how the high elves command Dragons would be a cool story.

pgarfunkle
04-30-2012, 03:31 PM
The brief parts of temple of the serpent which were from the point of the Slann were good at demonstrating how differently they view the world to humans. Lizardmen are my 1st fantasy army so if someone could pull it off I'd like to read more about them but I think it might be difficult to do a full novel from a lizard perspective. Maybe stories about them from another races view perhaps?

I'm thinking the great betrayal will be a really good elves/dwarves novel for more history about the races and their conflict

ElectricPaladin
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
The brief parts of temple of the serpent which were from the point of the Slann were good at demonstrating how differently they view the world to humans. Lizardmen are my 1st fantasy army so if someone could pull it off I'd like to read more about them but I think it might be difficult to do a full novel from a lizard perspective. Maybe stories about them from another races view perhaps?

I'm thinking the great betrayal will be a really good elves/dwarves novel for more history about the races and their conflict

A plot: A human of great destiny is born. Due to the stupidity of the younger races, this infant is abandoned by its parents and rescued by Skinks. The city's Slann know the child's destiny and can't order the Skinks to kill it, but don't want to put it back in the hands of the creatures who let it be lost in the first place. So, this human is raised by lizards to become the warrior against chaos that it was always his destiny to become.

Probably this person would form most of his personal attachments to Skinks, and possibly to the city's Slann, if it decided to meddle personally. Although Saurus (maybe even Temple Guard?) would probably be drafted to teach the boy fighting skills, it would be a pretty impersonal relationship. Not to say that he couldn't become fond of them, anyway...

There you go. Next stop: Black Library!

Wildeybeast
04-30-2012, 04:01 PM

I think the war of the beard is ripe for the Time of Legends treatment. It gets touched on in the Malekith saga, but seeing it with Dwarfs as protagonists would be cool (this could also include the creation of the WE and the destruction of the Dwarf empire by multiple parties). I'd like to see the Vampire Counts wars getting the ToL treatment and even though they will never do it, I really want to know what happens to Sigmar in the end. Oh and the crusades against Sultan Jaffar would be cool.

Beyond 'historical events' I want to know more about how religion works in the Warhammer world and I really want an exploration of Sartosa and Marienburg. A tourists guide to... series would be awesome!

Nightstalker
04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
oh, there are a few so far imreading th Nagsh books, and im looking forward to the one where he is battling Sigmar and wounds him badly. Since im a big fan of the vampire counts id like to see more about Heinrich Kemmler and Krell or Shaitaan and Abhorash. Id like to read something about one of those new goblin characters that were introduced in the last O&G Army book.
Since one of my most favorite special characters is Khalida, id like to read more about her.
From Bretonians id like to read something about Tristan le Troubadour and Joules le jongleur (sounds like a pretty funny character)
Id like to read a dark elve based story froma point of view of a slave intheir chambers trying to escape or one about those blood frenzy nights of the wytche elves where they roam the streets of the dark elves cities to slaughter everything and everyone they can catch.
I think Luthor Huss is kinda an interesting character and would like to see more about him.

eldargal
05-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Something from the Everqueens perspective, need more leading ladies.:rolleyes: Oh and a novel about Repanse de Lyonesse.

I also second (or third or whatever) stuff from the Lizardmans perspective.

Brakkart
05-01-2012, 07:56 AM
I think the war of the beard is ripe for the Time of Legends treatment. It gets touched on in the Malekith saga, but seeing it with Dwarfs as protagonists would be cool (this could also include the creation of the WE and the destruction of the Dwarf empire by multiple parties). I'd like to see the Vampire Counts wars getting the ToL treatment and even though they will never do it.

The War of the Beard is getting the Time of Legends treatment in 2 trilogies (1 from the point of view of the Elves, the other from the POV of the Dwarves). The first book of the Dwarven Trilogy is out later this year and is called The Great Betrayal. The Amazon page for it is here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-War-Vengeance-Betrayal-Legends/dp/1849701911/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335880275&sr=1-1).

As for the Vampire Wars they have already been covered in depth in the Vampire Wars trilogy by Stephen Saville (availiable as an Anthology book). I really enjoyed it. The Amazon page for it is here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vampire-Wars-Carstein-Trilogy-Warhammer/dp/1844165396/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335880190&sr=8-2).

Kaiserdean
05-01-2012, 09:35 AM
I would like to read a novel about Grom the Ponch with his origin and battles. Of course, this may be in the humor section of my local book store though.

Chuck777
05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't mind reading a story about Orcs vs. Ogres, though obviously it would have to be written by a captured human slave or else we'd get a story dat readz lik dis an' dat.

Wildeybeast
05-01-2012, 10:26 AM
The War of the Beard is getting the Time of Legends treatment in 2 trilogies (1 from the point of view of the Elves, the other from the POV of the Dwarves). The first book of the Dwarven Trilogy is out later this year and is called The Great Betrayal. The Amazon page for it is here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-War-Vengeance-Betrayal-Legends/dp/1849701911/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335880275&sr=1-1).

As for the Vampire Wars they have already been covered in depth in the Vampire Wars trilogy by Stephen Saville (availiable as an Anthology book). I really enjoyed it. The Amazon page for it is here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vampire-Wars-Carstein-Trilogy-Warhammer/dp/1844165396/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335880190&sr=8-2).

Look at that, I post a wishlist on the internet and two ofthem come true! :D Thanks for the heads up!

Have you read the Vampire trilogy, is it any good?

Brakkart
05-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Look at that, I post a wishlist on the internet and two of them come true! :D Thanks for the heads up!

Have you read the Vampire trilogy, is it any good?

Heh sometimes wishes do come true!

Yeah I've read it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was originally published as 3 novels, but the Anthology is a better buy as you get a couple short stories in there as well. The novels are each themed around one of the major Von Carsteins (Vlad, Konrad, Manfred) and there are some great supporting characters in there like the Witch Hunter who gets turned into a vamp and is one vicious piece of work! It doesn't skimp on the gruesome either and some scenes (like Konrad's idea of a banquet) are rather unpleasant. Definately worth a read.

Wildeybeast
05-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out at some stage.

egg&4s
06-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Something Beastmen-centric would be rather nice. I've not actually read any Black Library yet but the books I have seen so far seem to place the Beasts as minor characters. If anybody can point me to some books that DO feature Beasties I would be much obliged :-)

troglodytesrus
06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Big ol' thread-res but oh well, whilst we're here...

I'd wish they'd do more general 'historical' pieces. BL website has a rule for all applicants writings novels that the novels not be set in any other than the current period or heresy/time of legends periods. I am aware the full fledged writers get a bit more freedom of movement but the books are all still mainly set in contemporary or far-flung time periods. I'd love to see some intermediate moments. Being an elf fan I could mention the cleansing of Ulthuan by Tethlis the slayer or perhaps the travels of Prince Finubar before he became Phoenix king?

On another note my favourite period of fantasy-coverage in White Dwarf was following the career of Sigmar-reborn-in Valten. I'd like another book about him :)