PDA

View Full Version : tired of waiting for things we KNOW are coming

darklament
04-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Ya know, I feel like I am in a holding pattern when it comes to 40k. 6th Edition just need to get here.

Also i really am sick of how GW waits until the last minute to announce release dates or show anything. Privateer Press showed us the Colossals, which are coming out in the summer, in Feb! Come on, Games Workshop - how about entering the 21st century. It would be nice if we knew if something big was coming & when so we could save money up to give you.

-Jefferson

eldargal
04-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Then don't read rumour threads. Not to mention we don't KNOW anything, some of the rumourmongers might but we onl have their word for it. Until GW announces it officially, it isn't happening.

DrLove42
04-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Yeah.....PP doesn't have a non-disclosure contract with one of the biggest film producers in the world right now...

Also we DON'T know things are coming yet. This time last year we had Tau rumours....we haven't got them yet!

Mud Duck
04-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I wonder if the non-disclosure is written in a way that makes GW act the way that they do, or if GW is being ultra-Conservative if how they are acting under it, to save on legal headaches?

Xenith
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
The cryogenically freeze yourself until release date.

If you dont have the facility to do this, then you are just going to have to stop whining.

PP released images, but you still have to wait for them to be released.

Rissan4ever
04-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Ya know, I feel like I am in a holding pattern when it comes to 40k. 6th Edition just need to get here.

Also i really am sick of how GW waits until the last minute to announce release dates or show anything. Privateer Press showed us the Colossals, which are coming out in the summer, in Feb! Come on, Games Workshop - how about entering the 21st century. It would be nice if we knew if something big was coming & when so we could save money up to give you.

-Jefferson

It takes time to conceptualize, create, and edit a product. Then it takes even MORE time to put it into production and get it to the stores. 6th Ed. will come when GW is ready to release it. Just be patient.

miteyheroes
04-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm really confused? You said you're "tired of waiting for things we KNOW are coming" and then said GW should adopt PP's approach.

These are contradictory statements.

PP fans are still waiting for Colossals that were announced months ago. Whereas as soon as GW announces something it comes really quickly. E.G. GW just announced some new Necron models - and they'll be here this coming weekend. So as soon as you know something is come it's a short wait with GW, but a really really really long wait with PP?

darklament
04-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Obviously a few of you do not understand what i am saying.

Other game companies ANNOUNCE what is coming down the road, so that fans can get excited about said releases. I don't mind waiting for something at all - it's cool to know that in a few months I will be going to my local game store & picking up something cool; something I am looking forward to.

GW doesn't give us this anticipation at all. "Hey 6th edition is coming out - in two weeks!" No time to look forward to, put money aside, decide on new army choices.

This is all my opinion of course - it seems other companies (tabletop & video) aren't afraid ot give their fans a like preview of what is to come. GW has always been so bloody secretive to the point of paranoia it seems.

So maybe i should have titled my post - "How about a little tease or too? Throw us a bone!"

eldargal
04-30-2012, 11:18 AM
They announce it months in advance, people make hasty judgements and by the time it is released no one gives a damn anymore. Take PP, I was quite interested in the Colossals when they were announced. Now I'm not. I probably won't buy one until something else re-ignited my enthusiasm.

Take GWs approach, they announce something new and shiny, pictures are 'accidentally' leaed a few days before the official announcement which itself builds hype. As aoon as GW announce it, I can pre-order it. A week later it will be here while hype and anticipation are going strong.

The idea that it takes more than week to get excited about something is an utterly bewildering statement as well. I also don't get the 'I need to save money up beforehand!'. Save up and buy it after? What difference does it make. GW want you to buy things now then find mroe money later, it makes sense of them and ultimately you are spending the sam amount of money.

L192837465
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah.....PP doesn't have a non-disclosure contract with one of the biggest film producers in the world right now...

All of this. Seriously.

DarkLink
04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Funny how business decisions often look very different from the inside than from the outside.

ElectricPaladin
04-30-2012, 11:46 AM
I do think that Privateer Press does a better job of hyping and generally communicating with its customers. What I think the OP is referring to is things like second-wave models. He's sick of waiting and waiting for a model to be released when he knows it's going to exist eventually, and no information is given to us about when it will exist until suddenly it's in "What's New at Games Workshop" and the next week it's in stores. Contrast that with Privateer Press's extensive discussion of new books and models, releasing teaser pics and concept art, and so on. I don't think Privateer is any better than GW at getting every model out immediately (I think they let fewer models slip through the cracks for years, but that doesn't mean every book's model line is immediately released upon the first printing, either). I think it's a valid frustration.

darklament
04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
I do think that Privateer Press does a better job of hyping and generally communicating with its customers. What I think the OP is referring to is things like second-wave models. He's sick of waiting and waiting for a model to be released when he knows it's going to exist eventually, and no information is given to us about when it will exist until suddenly it's in "What's New at Games Workshop" and the next week it's in stores. Contrast that with Privateer Press's extensive discussion of new books and models, releasing teaser pics and concept art, and so on. I don't think Privateer is any better than GW at getting every model out immediately (I think they let fewer models slip through the cracks for years, but that doesn't mean every book's model line is immediately released upon the first printing, either). I think it's a valid frustration.

Thank you, Electric Paladin. That is exactly what I was trying to say. :)

Wildeybeast
04-30-2012, 03:24 PM

Valid frustration or not, it is pointless moaning about it. GW was announcing things months in advance at the start of 2011. Then they signed the non-disclosure agreement for the Hobbit and it came to abrupt end. GW cannot change it's announcement policy, even if they wanted to. So like it or not, there really is no point moaning about it as this policy WILL remain until the end of the agreement (which almost certainly won't be until after the release of the 2nd Hobbit film at the end 2013).

I would also like to point out that the frustration over rumours is also pointless. This time last year, everyone was certain 'Summer of Flyers' was on the way and there wasn't a single peep about SoM. So getting impatient over 6th ed rumours that may not pan out seems a little silly to me. And since 6th ed may not land until August, even if GW did announce it now, they aren't going to give you any details so that will be quite a long and tiresome wait with no info. I agree with Eldargal, much better to find out a couple of weeks before you can actually get your hands on it.

ElectricPaladin
04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Valid frustration or not, it is pointless moaning about it.

This is a fallacy. If GW is smart - and I'm assuming they are - they will let their customers vote with their throats before they force us to vote with our feet. If they are not smart, then they will not, ultimately, survive. I can say this quite comfortably as someone who honestly doesn't care - I don't have an agenda or

As far as I'm concerned, they can release however the heck they want. However, moaning is never pointless. In fact, it's one of the ways you can get things changed.

GW was announcing things months in advance at the start of 2011. Then they signed the non-disclosure agreement for the Hobbit and it came to abrupt end. GW cannot change it's announcement policy, even if they wanted to. So like it or not, there really is no point moaning about it as this policy WILL remain until the end of the agreement (which almost certainly won't be until after the release of the 2nd Hobbit film at the end 2013).

Wait, the NDA for LOTR Battles products effects how GW promotes WHFB/WH40k products? That doesn't make any sense.

I would also like to point out that the frustration over rumours is also pointless. This time last year, everyone was certain 'Summer of Flyers' was on the way and there wasn't a single peep about SoM. So getting impatient over 6th ed rumours that may not pan out seems a little silly to me. And since 6th ed may not land until August, even if GW did announce it now, they aren't going to give you any details so that will be quite a long and tiresome wait with no info. I agree with Eldargal, much better to find out a couple of weeks before you can actually get your hands on it.

I mean, look, if you want to get all Buddhist about it, then sure - getting stressed about rumors is definitely a waste of time. This is the Internet - we love to waste time. It's what we do. It's poor form to get on a thread dedicated to "discussion of X" only to say "let's not discuss X." If you don't want to discuss it, go post on a different thread.

Wildeybeast
04-30-2012, 03:47 PM
This is a fallacy. If GW is smart - and I'm assuming they are - they will let their customers vote with their throats before they force us to vote with our feet. If they are not smart, then they will not, ultimately, survive. I can say this quite comfortably as someone who honestly doesn't care - I don't have an agenda or

As far as I'm concerned, they can release however the heck they want. However, moaning is never pointless. In fact, it's one of the ways you can get things changed.

I agree entirely in most cases and we should let GW know what we think (in a constructive fashion!) , but my point is that GW CAN'T change this policy, they are contractually obliged to abide by it. You can moan as mcuh as you like, but in this case it is utterly futile.

Wait, the NDA for LOTR Battles products effects how GW promotes WHFB/WH40k products? That doesn't make any sense.

As I understand, the film company wanted assurances that GW could control leaks and keep their marketing resctricted. They will have had access to film info, images etc months in advance of release and the producers want to make sure that none of that gets out. As such, GW have had to restrict their rlease info for all systems. Whether we think that makes sense or not is moot point, that's the deal they have signed and we are all stuck with it.

I mean, look, if you want to get all Buddhist about it, then sure - getting stressed about rumors is definitely a waste of time. This is the Internet - we love to waste time. It's what we do. It's poor form to get on a thread dedicated to "discussion of X" only to say "let's not discuss X." If you don't want to discuss it, go post on a different thread.

Forgive me if I sounded like I was trying to shut down discussion, that wasn't my intent. I'm just trying to get across that this is an issue where there really is nothing we can do about it until after the Hobbit films have been released and that getting annoyed about it is not going to do anyone any good. If you want to discuss the merits of GW signing such a restrictive contract, I'm all for it, but a thread expressing frustration about something that cannot be changed is not going go anywhere, nor meet with much sympathy.

Chuck777
04-30-2012, 03:49 PM
They announce it months in advance, people make hasty judgements and by the time it is released no one gives a damn anymore. Take PP, I was quite interested in the Colossals when they were announced. Now I'm not. I probably won't buy one until something else re-ignited my enthusiasm.

Take GWs approach, they announce something new and shiny, pictures are 'accidentally' leaed a few days before the official announcement which itself builds hype. As aoon as GW announce it, I can pre-order it. A week later it will be here while hype and anticipation are going strong.

The idea that it takes more than week to get excited about something is an utterly bewildering statement as well. I also don't get the 'I need to save money up beforehand!'. Save up and buy it after? What difference does it make. GW want you to buy things now then find mroe money later, it makes sense of them and ultimately you are spending the sam amount of money.

The problem with that is that if you do not keep up with the rumors, then you could be blind-sighted by a new release and not have the money to purchase it when it comes out. Not everyone is as fortunate as yourself and has the money available to blow on a hobby at the drop of a hat. It is foolish for GW to think that their late rumors do not negatively impact sales.

What they need to do is come out with a 6 month calendar (updated every quarter) that says what is coming out. GW does not need to release any more info other than that. Just a name for every product coming down the pike. As the date gets closer, GW can begin leaking rules and pictures until the official announcement showcasing everything you can buy on release day and/or pre-order a week a head of time.

With this system none of GW's "rumorsphere" based enthusiasm is lost but players and businesses now have the ability to plan their budgets accordingly.

ElectricPaladin
04-30-2012, 03:55 PM
As I understand, the film company wanted assurances that GW could control leaks and keep their marketing resctricted. They will have had access to film info, images etc months in advance of release and the producers want to make sure that none of that gets out. As such, GW have had to restrict their rlease info for all systems. Whether we think that makes sense or not is moot point, that's the deal they have signed and we are all stuck with it.

Ah. That makes a lot more sense now.

Well, Jeez... that sucks. I hope they're working up a totally awesome marketing scheme for when that contract expires, or at least when the movies are all released.

Forgive me if I sounded like I was trying to shut down discussion, that wasn't my intent. I'm just trying to get across that this is an issue where there really is nothing we can do about it until after the Hobbit films have been released and that getting annoyed about it is not going to do anyone any good. If you want to discuss the merits of GW signing such a restrictive contract, I'm all for it, but a thread expressing frustration about something that cannot be changed is not going go anywhere, nor meet with much sympathy.

No sweat - nothing personal.

Wildeybeast
04-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Ah. That makes a lot more sense now.

Well, Jeez... that sucks. I hope they're working up a totally awesome marketing scheme for when that contract expires, or at least when the movies are all released.

Here's hoping! The sudden drying up of long term announcements around this time last year was a bit baffling at the time, but in this context makes sense. After the Hobbit is done and dusted, I'd like to 'teasers' leaked out in advance, sort of official rumours to get us all deabting and anticipating with giving us anything concrete to go on.

HsojVvad
04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
There is one problem about "saving money". I fall into the same problem. GW does not market towards me or us. It markets towards little kids who go to their parents to buy things.

So for us who have to save, GW couldn't really care about. We are not buying NOW but later. GW wants NOW so that is another reason they don't talk about later.

wittdooley
04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
There is one problem about "saving money". I fall into the same problem. GW does not market towards me or us. It markets towards little kids who go to their parents to buy things.

So for us who have to save, GW couldn't really care about. We are not buying NOW but later. GW wants NOW so that is another reason they don't talk about later.

That's silly. No one is forcing you to buy them the day the release. So you get a week from announcement to release. You wait a week to buy and there you have a standard two week pay period. You have a certain amount of your paycheck budgeted for entertainment. You use that portion to pick up a new release or two. I mean, everything is typically under $60. If you can't find $60 to budget out in a paycheck, maybe you shouldn't be buying models that month in the first place.....

eldargal
05-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Because if you don't buy them on the day of release they will sell out right?:rolleyes: It is foolish to assume that because a new product goes on sale a week after it is announced sales will suffer because people can't buy it right away. They won't know what else is coming out in a month so they can save up for it without distraction. Announce everyhing in advance and people will just save and wait for what they want instead of making spontaneous purchases.

The problem with that is that if you do not keep up with the rumors, then you could be blind-sighted by a new release and not have the money to purchase it when it comes out. Not everyone is as fortunate as yourself and has the money available to blow on a hobby at the drop of a hat. It is foolish for GW to think that their late rumors do not negatively impact sales.

What they need to do is come out with a 6 month calendar (updated every quarter) that says what is coming out. GW does not need to release any more info other than that. Just a name for every product coming down the pike. As the date gets closer, GW can begin leaking rules and pictures until the official announcement showcasing everything you can buy on release day and/or pre-order a week a head of time.

With this system none of GW's "rumorsphere" based enthusiasm is lost but players and businesses now have the ability to plan their budgets accordingly.

the jeske
05-01-2012, 12:48 AM
It is foolish to assume that because a new product goes on sale a week after it is announced sales will suffer because people can't buy it right away
actualy if your country happens to be outside of US/EU then it does happen . First day people buy 2-3 boxs of starter set to resell models and people are left without rule books or have to pay 2x or 3x times the GW price or wait for GW to make a new shipment which considering how GW deals with emarging markets may take 2-3 weeks. those are 2-3 weeks where you cant play , can go to tournaments , cant test armies . OR you have to buy online [not an option for all] . It is even worse if there is no chain of GW shops but a single or two per country , then the GW shop gets the rule book/starter sets on time , while the delivery for LFGS are "late" and the late is weeks again . Because of that and the high cost of WFB/W40k people have two options for them A they can sit on enough money to buy a new army as soon as a new edition/codex becomes legal[very unlikely] or can wait see , get burned 2-3 times and switch systems to a one where they can plan ahead.

eldargal
05-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Er, what? GW lose some sales on starter sets that come out once every four years in countries other than those that make up 90% of GW sales?

Sure
05-01-2012, 09:24 AM
I love that non-disclosure business!
I wonder what will happen in the Hobbit...it seems like quite a wild story. very mysterious! Anybody know what it's about, who the lead characters are, and what happens at the end?

DrLove42
05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Its more the art direction for the Hobbit, not the story. The trailers don't show a lot deliberatly

I remember what my GW manager said back when it changed. GW also do this to help maintain sales. If you know your army is getting new releases in 6 months, are you going to buy stuff now? Or save up for the new stuff?

Or how do you get someone excited for this months releases, when they're only excited for what comes next.

Take the PP example from earlier. They've shown stuff way in advance. Are you still buying stuff now, or are you waiting and saving for these big ugly things.....

the jeske
05-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Er, what? GW lose some sales on starter sets that come out once every four years in countries other than those that make up 90% of GW sales?

untrue . new editions and new dex make people buy new armies [because of old being crap/illegal] +they are always focused on the new guy , not the old customers that doesnt have to buy his 5th tactical squad . So I think they are very interested in good sells .

Also I dont understand how is GW policy for eastern europe not important for comunities there . Also the sells are not 90% western europe/US.

Nemesis
05-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Personally, I find this talk of Non Disclosure Agreements farcical. Remember that GW also did the LOTR stuff and I don't remember any stopping of information on GW's normal products when that was going on and it was a much bigger release than the Hobbit will be. As regards the film company in question--why would they want such a policy if they have already worked with GW on the LOTR and did not then have said policy? Did anything occur at that time which gave a lot away about the forthcoming films? No, it didn't. GW are a large company, the largest part of which are there own products. What company in there right mind would accept such a policy knowing it would also stop them advertising etc there OWN products? Fair enough, keep the gag on about The Hobbit stuff but also on there own? Simply daft

Wildeybeast
05-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Personally, I find this talk of Non Disclosure Agreements farcical. Remember that GW also did the LOTR stuff and I don't remember any stopping of information on GW's normal products when that was going on and it was a much bigger release than the Hobbit will be. As regards the film company in question--why would they want such a policy if they have already worked with GW on the LOTR and did not then have said policy? Did anything occur at that time which gave a lot away about the forthcoming films? No, it didn't. GW are a large company, the largest part of which are there own products. What company in there right mind would accept such a policy knowing it would also stop them advertising etc there OWN products? Fair enough, keep the gag on about The Hobbit stuff but also on there own? Simply daft

I don't know what policy was in place on the last one, but if it is different that is because the Hobbit is being financed by Warner Bros unlike the LotR which was New Line. And whether any of thsi deal makes sense to us or not, GW HAS signed up to this deal, they confirmed it themselves (at one the American Games Days if I recall correctly). And we are stuck with it, as are they, like it or not.

Necron2.0
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Its more the art direction for the Hobbit, not the story.

Which everyone already has a pretty good idea about. If not, we can all just rewatch LotR. ;)

I remember what my GW manager said back when it changed. GW also do this to help maintain sales. If you know your army is getting new releases in 6 months, are you going to buy stuff now? Or save up for the new stuff?

This may be the conventional wisdom, but I'd let your manager know it is entirely nonsensical.

I bought DE because the hype leading up to their release got me interested (I hadn't collected DE prior to this most recent release). Had they released the Void Raven relatively soon after I would have bought one. As it is, the delay has given me ample time to proxy the unit and realize what a dog the Void Raven is, so I won't be getting one now.

I did not purchase anything for Grey Knights (not even the Codex) and have not to this day. I had not collect them previously and was not inspired to start. For the same reason, I did not and will not be buying any cheese wolves.

I bought new Necron units when they came out, because I already collected Necrons. I probably would not have otherwise - the Codex changes were clearly intended to force established Necron players to buy more units, but the overall effect made the army less appealing. Because of the delays with the 2nd wave, and no word when they'd be coming, I've already proxied the Spyders, Wraiths and Triarch Stalkers I needed, mostly with figures from PuppetsWar, and likely I will not be replacing them with "official" GW.

Now, I know I'm not alone in this. The idea that the customers will buy up all the latest garbage just because it's new may work for the kids, but not likely for anyone above the age of twelve, and certainly not for someone with established preferred armies.

Maelstorm
05-01-2012, 11:50 PM
This may be the conventional wisdom, but I'd let your manager know it is entirely nonsensical.

I bought new Necron units when they came out, because I already collected Necrons. I probably would not have otherwise - the Codex changes were clearly intended to force established Necron players to buy more units, but the overall effect made the army less appealing. Because of the delays with the 2nd wave, and no word when they'd be coming, I've already proxied the Spyders, Wraiths and Triarch Stalkers I needed, mostly with figures from PuppetsWar, and likely I will not be replacing them with "official" GW.

Now, I know I'm not alone in this. The idea that the customers will buy up all the latest garbage just because it's new may work for the kids, but not likely for anyone above the age of twelve, and certainly not for someone with established preferred armies.

Well said. For established players, waiting 6 months to release models we already have: Heavy Destroyers, Destroyer Lords, Wraiths, Tomb Spyders, etc...

If you can't wait for the Necron Scythes to stumble out of production (tada!). Check on-line and purchase the same-sized Cylon Raider ($20 each) they were "interpreted" from.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Cylon+Raider+model+kit&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1038&bih=836&wrapid=tlif133593665641910&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9341624621822222463&sa=X&ei=jsagT8LiCeaW2QXxsozSCQ&ved=0CFQQ8wIwAA#

On the upside, the 3-pack of plastic (thank the powers that be they are not Failcast) Wriaths is actually less expensive than 3 of the original metal models!

Fanboys will defend GW marketing decisions no matter how bent anyone beleives they are.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions." ~Author Unknown

eldargal
05-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Dark Eldar were announced September 26th at Games Day, went up for advance order a week later and on sale a month after that. It was unusual in that they had a lot of attention on the GW blog, but then it was and remains the largest single revamp of a race GW has ever done. I'm not sure how that fits in with the 'we should know everything months in advance' stuff.

Also, GW don't want you to know about what is coming not so you will go 'omg new things must buy!' but so you don't go holding back purchases in case there is something you do want.

Timmy has fifty pounds on May 1st. He really wants a Voidraven, but he has no idea when one is coming out. So he buys another ravager. June 2nd GW announced the Voidraven, Timmy saves up and buys one as soon as he can.

vs

Timmy has fifty pounds on May 1st. He really wants a Voidraven. He knows it is coming out on June 2nd, so he waits and buys one.

GW gets less money. That is the logic behind it, and they think it works and whether it does or not they are the only ones in a position to know as they have any relevent data. We can onl speculate, and much of ithe speculation consists of 'boo, I want to know everything that GW is doing before they do it!!!'

And whiners will whine regardless of what GW does. People whined when had a months notice, people whined when we had three months notice, people whined when we had six months notice and people whined long ago when GW would talk about things a year or two in advance at Games Day.

Fanboys will defend GW marketing decisions no matter how bent anyone beleives they are.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions." ~Author Unknown

DarkLink
05-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Fifty pounds? Timmy needs to go on a diet, chubby little guy;). GW's doing him a favor, really.

eldargal
05-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Timmy is a fat little barstud as befits the stereotype.

Emerald Rose Widow
05-02-2012, 02:28 AM

I dont think age has anything to do with wanting to mess with the new models. Many people are tournament players, and there are requirements for a certain number of GW models in tournaments. Also there are many folk who are into this not only for the game itself but for the hobby of painting models. When you are a hobby player it is exciting to see new sculpts to play around with, new bits to play with, new things to paint, new inspiration. Sure it means you are spending more money, which means some saving, but a savvy saver can do that given enough time and motivation.

DarkLink
05-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I've seen plenty of older players buying new stuff. In fact, it'd be hard to think of an older player who wouldn't buy a particular new army if it came out tomorrow. They don't always buy every army, but every army appeals to a decent portion of the population so there are plenty of people who will buy it. Otherwise, why would people complain about bandwagoning all the time?

Necron2.0
05-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Also, GW don't want you to know about what is coming not so you will go 'omg new things must buy!' but so you don't go holding back purchases in case there is something you do want.

And that's the thing. It is my contention that this just doesn't work. This based on my own experiences and what I've witness with others. The situation (general economy, GW's inflated prices, the lack of hype, the relative enjoyability of GW's products versus what else is available) is such that people I've seen aren't just buying the latest shiny thing. Rather, they are actually collecting (being selective in their purchasing) - and in some cases what they are collecting are scratch-builts and third party proxies, and not what's coming out from GW.

Timmy has fifty pounds on May 1st. He really wants a Voidraven, but he has no idea when one is coming out. So he buys another ravager. June 2nd GW announced the Voidraven, Timmy saves up and buys one as soon as he can.

vs

Timmy has fifty pounds on May 1st. He really wants a Voidraven. He knows it is coming out on June 2nd, so he waits and buys one.

GW gets less money. That is the logic behind it, and they think it works ....

That may be GW's logic, but it doesn't really make much sense. Why would Timmy buy a Ravager if he didn't need/want one? If he did need and/or want one, it wouldn't really be an either/or proposition then, would it? He'd be saving for both, and the only issue would be which came first. If he really and truly couldn't manage to keep money from burning a hole in his pocket, as is implied by this scenario, then it leads to the question of how did he manage to have the 50 pounds on him in the first place? He would have either blown it long time prior on some other shiny baubles or else his parents would have clamped down on his finances like a boa constrictor on a gerbil. Either way, no Ravager and no Voidraven for Timmy.

Regardless of the scenario, GW's not gaining anything. Actually, they really can only stand to lose. Personally, I think that's a good thing - for me at least. I got sucked into buying Dark Eldar in large part due to the hype (the other part was because nobody in my group played them). I bought them, knowing full well my Necrons wouldn't be coming out for a long time, so that any DE purchase wouldn't conflict with maintaining my 'Crons in the slightest. I ended up spending more on my DE than was prudent, to be honest. Then, when the Grey Knights came along, I toyed with the idea of picking them up, but I never felt all that jazzed about them and I wasn't certain how getting into GK would impact my needs going forward, so I bailed on them. As for my Necrons, I've already discussed how GW's release schedule has cost them, so I won't rehash that here again.

inquisitorsog
05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Does anyone actually have real press release or anything of the sort that indicates that for some unknown reason New Line _cares_ about GW pre-announcing 40k and WFB releases?

I get it for the Hobbit. By why would NLC stick it to GW like that for other product lines?

Personally, it makes more sense that GW is electing to follow the Apple model of not announcing anything to early so that current releases don't suffer. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the approach, just that it seems to make more sense than the rumor of some ultra-draconian NDA.

Wildeybeast
05-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Again I point out, not New Line this time, Warner Bros are in charge of the Hobbit. The press release is here (http://investor.games-workshop.com/2011/02/09/243/) though unsurprisingly mentions nothing about the release info policy.

[Speculation] I would imagine the reason they 'care' is to get guarantees that GW is not a big leaky sieve and can be trusted to actually keep stuff confidential. Also, if WB want to keep Hobbit product info tightly under wraps, that will be somewhat undermined by GW going 'October - Dwarves, November - CSM, December - mfmflmmelmf, January - something else mysterious we can't talk about, February - we fix WE!'. And as Eldargal has pointed out, if you can pencil in the months when Hobbit products are coming out, you may well not buy any GW stuff, wait and see what the Hobbit stuff is before deciding you don't like it and not buying anything until the next army coming is one you like. Neither GW nor WB benefit that way. No advance knowledge means you are more likely to impulse buy Hobbit stuff as the money is burning a hole in your pocket and you have no idea what is coming any time soon.

darklament
06-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Just an example of generating excitement

I was at Privateer Press' Lock 'n' Load convention this past weekend & they were showing off sketches of models that are coming out NEXT YEAR. And no one was pissing or moaning about having to wait a year - they were excited that they got to see these cool new models being worked on, being developed. Fans think PP is cool for letting us all look behind the curtain.

I feel that GW doesn't say anything because they are confident that their fans will buy what's coming out, period. No need to generate buzz or excitement. I guess that's ok but damn, it was cool to see all that new WM/Hordes stuff & hear the audience cheer :)

-Jefferson

the jeske
06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I was at Privateer Press' Lock 'n' Load convention this past weekend & they were showing off sketches of models that are coming out NEXT YEAR. And no one was pissing or moaning about having to wait a year
because warmahordes gives new stuff for the same faction every few months and not every few years [decades in case of some armies] ? it is different that you know that unit X is going to be there next year . then play let us say chaos and get 0 new models for your new dex and the first actual model updated years after the codex becomes legal[the demon prince] and even then its still 1 unit .

Imagine you play khador and you get updated in mk1 and then you get 2 new units in 2 edition later . People would touch khador with a stick .

Denzark
06-05-2012, 03:40 AM
I can't imagine playing Khador, or Cygnar, or any other ripped off dreadnought-a-likes, kill the warcaster to win crap.

But back to GW, if your yearly budget is x, how does that change just because of knowing or not knowing the release schedules?

The OP said tired of waiting for things we KNOW are coming. If it is a first wave release, such as 6th Ed, and you KNOW (OP's words not mine) it is coming, you can save for it.

If it is a second wave release such as Thunderwolves or some of the emo-space elves, I don't think anyone KNEW for a fact they were coming until GW told you they were coming. Cos if you did have an inside line and thus KNEW, you could have saved for it.

Mr Mystery
06-05-2012, 04:16 AM
Armies wot I play, and have played for a while now.

Tomb Kings
Ogre Kingdoms
Necrons
Vampire Counts.

All of these have been released within the past 12 months. All of these are highly attractive purchases for me. I found out about them roughly a week before they were released. Guess who has updated all 4 armies?

Now, someone earlier demanded a 6 month release calendar. What would that change? Well, last year when I went nutty on Fantasy, I'd have known about Tomb Kings, Ogres and Storm of Magic around about the same time. This could indeed mean I save up more. But like most of GW's customer, one way or another I have a healthy(ish) disposable income, so saving up doesn't achieve anything, when I know I can have it right now. GW competes for my cash with film studios, cinemas, pubs, clubs, restaurants and kitchen device manufacturers. The impulse buy is how they corner me. Now, give me 6 months notice, and stuff does very quickly become blase. Any money I may have put aside is in constant danger of being spent on something else, and me losing interest.

Yes. I am fickle. So is a consumer based market. PP have to big up their new stuff because they have far less frequent releases. Not having their own stores, they don't have their own propaganda machine anywhere near the scale of GW. And being a pretty small company, it's perfectly feasible two or three duff releases could put them into financial troubles (cash flow people, it's a *****!). Plus, PP are fighting over a different market, that of the skirmish gamer. That's more systems, more releases, more companies all scrapping it out. GW ultimately don't have to. They're the Daddy of Fantasy and SciFi Wargaming, period. Biggest player base, biggest universe, biggest infrastructure. GW essentially don't HAVE to try as hard as PP. They're coming from a completely different standpoint.

Plus, GW have those vile little parasites like CH desperately trying to avoid any kind of personal creativity by leeching off the hard work of others. Release concept sketches etc 6 months before release, and you'll have parasite companies churning out ropey knock offs within 1. Will that impact sales? Will it impact sales more than the minority of your customers who don't have disposable income?

Denzark
06-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Succinctly put Mr Mystery I agree.

the jeske
06-05-2012, 09:28 AM
I can't imagine playing Khador, or Cygnar, or any other ripped off dreadnought-a-likes, kill the warcaster to win crap.

first dont insult other system dude , specialy not ones who have a large and dedicted following + the policy to update all armies at a steady pace has nothing to do warmahorde game play. As the rip of thing goes . steam punk model wise goes back to at least late 70s . If anyone riped of anyone it was GW .

But back to GW, if your yearly budget is x, how does that change just because of knowing or not knowing the release schedules?
the problem is most new gamers dont play longer then a year . If they dont buy stuff for their army durning that time there is a good chance they will never buy the stuff they want . now from GW perspetive that doesnt matter . because A they actualy do believe that they are the best in the world and that they will always have a steady flow of new comers B if a dude starts he has to buy something as long as he is buying GW doesnt care what he buys . The real problem is for the player . Now lets say he wants to start nids [his friends started meq] , he doesnt care about the power level of the army[happens] but nids are tervigon . he waits , waits , waits ,[in the mean time his friends are not using an up turned box as a model] and the tervi isnt there . the chance that he is both getting a NPE and is more prone to quit is larger then for his friends who have dex with almost full or full model lines . I mean even GW understood that when they made DE. they knew that if people didnt have stuff to make armies will they just wouldnt be able to resurect the DE.

If it is a second wave release such as Thunderwolves or some of the emo-space elves, I don't think anyone KNEW for a fact they were coming until GW told you they were coming. Cos if you did have an inside line and thus KNEW, you could have saved for it.
but this only means that people start mostly meq armies because those have full model lines [what is actualy happening] no one wants to start an army which core units maybe there in a year or two when his game group maybe playing something totaly different.

Mr Mystery
06-05-2012, 09:35 AM
the problem is most new gamers dont play longer then a year.

Source?

Morgan Darkstar
06-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Pfft...... PP cant even provide some models at a steady rate, nevermind whole armies.

Perhaps they should look to solving their production problems before releasing new stuff?

Morgan Darkstar
06-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Source?

his backside.

Diagnosis Ninja
06-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Lets hope GeeDubs change their opinions once The Hobbit is released, and get into gear with a Month for Advance Orders, with Models, story and rules previews a couple of weeks beforehand. One can dream...

Mr Mystery
06-06-2012, 05:46 AM
I don't think they will. Largely anecdotal, but relatively reliable point coming!!

I used to work for GW retail, and I'm still friendly with my old manager. As it's of interest, and without going into facts and figures, I'm told locally, and seemingly company wide, one week pre-orders are generating more sales than the previous month long window. If it works it works. To quote Vic and Bob 'How does it work? I dunno, but it does!'

Lucian Kain
06-07-2012, 08:10 AM
I'm hoping that everyone will start dropping thier Grey Knights and giving them to me in some hysterical bandwagon jumping frenzy because "Rumour has it" thier Force weapons cease to be true power weapons in 6th and the sky is falling or some other weak excuse.I remember what they used to be (Fluff/Rules) and don't care how they've been tare'd in mud.To me they will always be the Kings of elite,the shadowy guys behind the scenes sipping brews with Helaquins in the black library, moments earlier scrapping through the webways to get to the truth.Silly greyknights,they were trying to help you.
All thier sexy S6 power weapon WS5 terminatory goodness but these new guys,they're like a family member I'm not so proud of.

But I like the models and will wait to buy them as cheep as possible second hand.I'm lucky I like the Art befor the game.
I will make an army of these,100's I tell you.

DrLove42
06-07-2012, 08:16 AM
I don't think they will. Largely anecdotal, but relatively reliable point coming!!

I used to work for GW retail, and I'm still friendly with my old manager. As it's of interest, and without going into facts and figures, I'm told locally, and seemingly company wide, one week pre-orders are generating more sales than the previous month long window. If it works it works. To quote Vic and Bob 'How does it work? I dunno, but it does!'

It cos you see shiny stuff this week, but since you don't know theres more shiny stuff soon you don't buy stuff now.

If you knew that your army was getting a bunch of new stuff next month would you buy something this week AND buy stuff later, or not buy anything now and buy new stuff?