PDA

View Full Version : Fav 40k Trick!

Panxer
04-23-2012, 08:41 AM
What's your favorite 40k tactical trick maneuver? Deepstrike and template blast from Marbo? Outflank and hack and slash with Kroot? Outflanking with Space wolf melta scouts? Deepstrike behind enemy lines with XV8 melta suicide suits? Trygon terror?!

What have you got? What makes you grin at the table when you look at your reserve choices?:D

DrLove42
04-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Not a reserve trick...but I did enjoy using a unit of Wraithguard with fortune and enhance and a Wraithseer to hold an objective this weekend.

Not much moves a unit that has a 3+ armour save or a 4+ cover save, which is rerollable, is T 6, WS5 S5 I5 and has FNP. All the usual stuff that kills and everyone spams (missile launchers) don't ignore my FNP so they didn't move short of an incredibly dedicated assault unit or massed fire for 4-5 turns. (or sisters with rending heavy bolters catching them on the turn with failed Fortune).

My other is DE. 20 Warriors, 2 Cannons and Sliscus, in cover, with a Hemonculus. At 36 i get 12 shots. At 24 it becomes 30 shots. Under 12 its 48 shots, hitting on 3's, wounding on 3's. My archon has a "Hall of Fame" of units killed in a single round of shooting, that includes a squad of assault terminators, a Mawloc, a demon prince and a greater demon of every god except Slanesh. Then to defend themselves, they're in cover, with FNP.

Panxer
04-23-2012, 09:13 AM
My fav 'from reserve' move is to drop in a unit of XV8's armed with TL meltas behind enemy lines and pop armor. Nothing takes the smug smile off of a Marines player's face like you popping his shiny new land raider while his guys have to foot slog it all the way across the table to get to grips with me.

Second favorite is outflanking unit of Kroot with Hounds. A unit of 12 with 4 dogs, can lay on 48 attacks on the charge! 12 of which are I5!

Last favorite has to be the malicious application of Marbo. Place him anywhere near the enemy HQ or vital units and tie them up for a turn or two while you maneuver to a better fighting position. He dies almost every time, but not without causing some serious damage before he leaves.

blackarmchair
04-23-2012, 10:09 AM
This is by no means a secret but I get no end of pleasure from getting turn 2 charges on an entire army with my battlewagon orks. 13" move + 2" disembark + 6" Waaagh! Move + 6" charge = 27" of goodness.

fuzzbuket
04-23-2012, 10:44 AM
GK:

mordak+libby (teleport homer+summon) DS in on turn 1
6 falchion paladins+banner +flamer in a LRR with psyflame, are summoned by the libby,
paladins assault out the LR

turn1 terminator charge FTW :D (and a LR right in your face :L)

Doktor Porkov
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
I suppose that my favourite trick is (when playing Tyranids) is to drop two units of Zoanthropes out of Mycetic Spores near to vehicles to (hopefully!) blow the blazes out of them when they arrive, outflank a couple of units of 10-20 Genestealers and have a Hive Tyrant with Hive Commander to help with reserve rolls. Rather nasty!

bforber
04-23-2012, 11:29 AM
GK:

mordak+libby (teleport homer+summon) DS in on turn 1
6 falchion paladins+banner +flamer in a LRR with psyflame, are summoned by the libby,
paladins assault out the LR

turn1 terminator charge FTW :D (and a LR right in your face :L)

Yeah... not to troll, but this isn't legal.

Mordrak and Libby come down first turn. Fine.

I'm not really sure what the final ruling is, (do you deep strike first, summon first or both happen at the same time?) but I don't believe the librarian's deep strike and summoning can happen simultaneously, therefore you wouldn't be able to cast the summoning when you deep strike.

Teleport homers don't work for 3 reasons. 1) The teleport homer specifically mentions Interceptor, Strike Squads and Terminators. 2) Teleport homers don't work for the summoning because it's not an actual deep strike, (it simply uses the deep strike rules,) and 3) even if they did work, the homer has to be on the board at the start of the turn to work, which it's not.

Finally, you can't assault out of a vehicle that has been summoned.

Anyway, my favorite things involve outflanking massive platoons of IG dudes who are ready to do work in the name of the emperor in either shooting or assault. Astropaths are really a godsend.

celestialatc
04-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah... not to troll, but this isn't legal.

Mordrak and Libby come down first turn. Fine.

I'm not really sure what the final ruling is, (do you deep strike first, summon first or both happen at the same time?) but I don't believe the librarian's deep strike and summoning can happen simultaneously, therefore you wouldn't be able to cast the summoning when you deep strike.

Teleport homers don't work for 3 reasons. 1) The teleport homer specifically mentions Interceptor, Strike Squads and Terminators. 2) Teleport homers don't work for the summoning because it's not an actual deep strike, (it simply uses the deep strike rules,) and 3) even if they did work, the homer has to be on the board at the start of the turn to work, which it's not.

Finally, you can't assault out of a vehicle that has been summoned.

Anyway, my favorite things involve outflanking massive platoons of IG dudes who are ready to do work in the name of the emperor in either shooting or assault. Astropaths are really a godsend.

Sadly for fuzzbuket this is true. You have the use the summoning at the beginning of the librarian's movement phase...once they deepstrike, it's no longer the beginning of the librarian's movement phase.

fuzzbuket
04-23-2012, 02:13 PM
aaw :( , but i havnt used it in game atm just thought about it (too lazy/skint to buy/paint a LR in NMM :D lol)

Panxer
04-23-2012, 02:38 PM
It's pretty generic, and arguably effective or not, but:

x3 XV8 full suit teams with drones (all in one blob) 9 burst cannon shots and 6 missile pod shots, and 2 drone shots TL (per team), so... 51 shots going into a unit of terminators with the best AP I can muster is AP4, and I kill all of them? Brings a smile to my face, and a big frowny pout to the emperor.

Statistically, only 1/2 or less would actually land (w/o marker light support), but even with 25 shots actually landing, and wounding on 2's (missiles S7) and 3's ( burst cannons and drone carbines S5) 2+ save won't save all of them, or at least enough of them to force a leadership check (hopefully with negative modifiers for marker hits) Hopefully they run away and cry to their chaplain...

Also, the look on my opponent's face when I bring a manticore (or two) on the board is usually fun too. I haven't even fired a shot from it yet, and the dread they feel simply from its presence is enough to give me a warm and fuzzy. Of course when they kill it by turn 3 is a little frustrating, but it's still my favorite weapon the IG has.

thecactusman17
04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Fav trick by far is getting the tallest piece of mult-level terrain available and shoving as many hellions, Baron Sathonyx, and an objective on top of it as I can. Makes claiming the thing an absolute headache for most opponents. I can shoot at anyone getting too close, or even assault a whole range of vicious dudes. And of course, I can go to cover for a 2+ cover save, well above the height of any flamer weapons.

Seriously, a whole flock of these guys on the board is something that plays huge mind games on your opponent. Be sure to rattle off all the vital stats too, so they sound even more intimidating. Stealth, grenades, +1S and combat drugs, pain tokens etc. etc. Lots of players like to just leave them there unmolested instead of wasting shots or charges, which can make them even more dangerous if they've been deployed right.

planet psyrum
04-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Favorite move is to veil behind armor with immortals and an harp of dissonance. Have zahndrek give them tank hunters. 12 str 5+1 shots with a 33% chance of shooting at av 9. Bye bye tank/transport/dread.

Still waiting on this move. My opponent deepstrikes, zahndreks special rule drops obyron with an overlord and two lords armed with warscythes waiting to get a furious charge on a unit next turn.

Morgan Darkstar
04-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Fav trick by far is getting the tallest piece of mult-level terrain available and shoving as many hellions, Baron Sathonyx, and an objective on top of it as I can. Makes claiming the thing an absolute headache for most opponents. I can shoot at anyone getting too close, or even assault a whole range of vicious dudes. And of course, I can go to cover for a 2+ cover save, well above the height of any flamer weapons.

Seriously, a whole flock of these guys on the board is something that plays huge mind games on your opponent. Be sure to rattle off all the vital stats too, so they sound even more intimidating. Stealth, grenades, +1S and combat drugs, pain tokens etc. etc. Lots of players like to just leave them there unmolested instead of wasting shots or charges, which can make them even more dangerous if they've been deployed right.

I would drop in and burn you to death with jump infantry..... <Insert evil laugh> :D

Kirigakure
04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
favorite Tau anti-Necron tactic?

thecactusman17
04-23-2012, 10:39 PM
I would drop in and burn you to death with jump infantry..... <Insert evil laugh> :D

LOL. I AM Jump infantry. That outfights you, outshoots you, outranges you both on the move and stationary and often is harder to kill than you. And since you are deep striking, then by the rules you are doing so onto the ground floor of area terrain, where I have full freedom of movement with only a 1 in 36 chance of losing any models to dangerous terrain.

Have fun!

Wolfshade
04-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Use Mephiston in any list...

thecactusman17
04-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Eh, mephiston isn't that bad. After you get past the t6 and 2+ save, he actually doesn't have much else. Sit back and plug him with a few lascannons, meltas or plasma and he drops like a sack.

Panxer
04-24-2012, 08:34 AM
"favorite Tau anti-Necron tactic?" ...guns lots of guns.

Honestly, when fighting necrons? Cheap and shooty. Why pay 20 points for a plasma gun when they're just going to get up and keep coming anyway. As a Tau player, your strengths lie in markerlight support, XV8 teams, and railguns. Your enemy knows this. They will attempt to kill these things in rapid order and mop up the rest with an unrelenting and undying warriors spouting gauss and tesla rounds.

SO, to counter this, I'll guote from Tau of war- which states "Tau are like an onion. It has many layers and makes people cry.". That being said, the new forgeworld update has made layers and diversity in units much more synergistic by giving us things like the Tetra marker skimmer, the remote sensor tower, and the done sentry turret, which enable the cadre to shift roles and specialization in its army composition.

Some general rules which I like to employ when list building with Tau:
1. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Just because you have S10 rail guns, doesn't mean they're always going to be effective. Spread the capabilities of your army around.

2. Know thine enemy. Tau is very specialized to whom they're fighting. If you're fighting highly mechanized opponents or opponents with special abilities, you're going to need to tailor you list and your weapons load out to your opponent (which is my biggest gripe with regard to Tau. It's almost impossible to make an 'all-comer's' list.

3. Be mobile and keep your distance. A moving target is harder to hit. Yeah, this is basic knowledge, but it still applies.

4. There are many more rules, but I don't want to take up too much of your time in reading this. One can research all they want on Tau online or Tau of war etc. if they want to know more.

MadmanMSU
04-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Eh, mephiston isn't that bad. After you get past the t6 and 2+ save, he actually doesn't have much else. Sit back and plug him with a few lascannons, meltas or plasma and he drops like a sack.

I love it when people say this. "Mephiston? No worries, you can just shoot him to death". Since I've started using him in my BA army, he hasn't died once. Either my opponent ignores him completely as a target they just can't kill, or they focus fire him and leave the rest of my mech unmolested and returning fire.

Best psychological threat ever, mwahahaa.

MadmanMSU
04-24-2012, 08:55 AM
And to answer the original question of the post, my favorite tactic is BA Honor Guard with JP and 4x meltaguns on DoA. Simple and effective.

Pop goes the landraider.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
two squads of 10 wolf scouts armed with meltas and mark of the wulfen, then tack on a wolf guard with mow as well. surprise! its a tank bustin, infantry mauling surprise from fenris. love it

dannyat2460
05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
My fav,

Scouting baal preds with flamestorm cannons, pop smoke in the scout move too, 3 of them hurt... a lot

Tynskel
05-01-2012, 03:55 PM
I like making sky slashers into little daemon monsters:

3 sky slashers
Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs.

Hive Tyrant w/ Old Adversary, Lash Whips, and Tyrant Guard with lash whips.

All of the Sudden your 69 points has 15 re-rolling to hit n' wound attacks versus Marines, and they go first! Whee!

Bean
05-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Lash of Submission.

Just Lash of Submission.

planet psyrum
05-01-2012, 06:48 PM
This one is rough and cheesy, but 2 crypteks armed with abyssal staffs, one with a veil, attached to deathmarks. They land and unleash two templates, wounding on 2+ AP 1. Bye bye everything except monstrous creatures.

Wolfshade
05-02-2012, 01:58 AM
I'm not sure that alot of these are "Tricks", I could say "Stormraven w/ DC dreadnought, DC w/power weapons + Lemartes" as that is quite an efficient way to transport a huge CC monster but its not really a trick per se and its effectivness is dependant on what you are facing, what points you are playing at etc. IG Command Platoon w/ 4 meltas is quite an efficient way to get melta spam, but is not great if you are not facing MEQ.
I think potentially this thread should be more like synergies that work well together,

10 man Nob squad all differently armed (for wound allocation potential), Waagh Banner (+1 WS), Pain Boy (FnP) Priest + BA Honour Guard w/ Chapter Banner (+1A), being close enough to any other BA assault unit or independant characters to grant them FnP +1A etc LC Terminators being led by a Chaplain so they can re-roll to hit and to wound

Tynskel
05-02-2012, 09:14 AM
chapter banner is not a radius effect. You are thinking of Sanguinor, I believe. (although, I don't have my codex in front of me, and it has been a while since I read the Sanguinor entry.)

Wolfshade
05-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Sorry yes the +1A is a unit effect so the IC needs to be attached, no +1 for you Mr. Mephiston :(

Tynskel
05-03-2012, 07:42 AM
haha, not that Mephiston really needs it...

Tynskel
05-03-2012, 07:45 AM
My favorite 40k Trick:

Dante
–Chapter Relic (Double Base attacks, Str10 Power Weapon)
Sanguinary Guard
–Chapter Banner, 5 Infernus Pistols, Powerfist

Between 6 Infenus Shots and Dante with 11 attacks on the charge... Can make a Reaver Titan go FOOM!

By the way. I have won EPIC (100k per side) games of Apocalypse with this unit.
~500 points.

Dante is the type of character that comes into his own as the game gets larger and larger. The tales and legends become more grandiose.

I had one game where Dante and his Sanguinary did a pinpoint Deep Strike from a Stormraven (does not scatter, due to his ability), vaporizes 5 chosen on an objective, and slaughters the rest. Counter charged by Chaos Terminators, slaughters all but one, hit and runs. Split off and charged a Chaos Reaver Titan, while the survivors of the Sanguinary guard retake the objective. The Reaver goes D-Boom, and Dante returns to the objective to aide the Sanguinary Guard.

just goes on and on... Oh, and of course, I had to read Dante's Sermon before the game began. Riled up my whole team, and Dante lead us to Victory!

Wolfshade
05-03-2012, 08:14 AM
My favorite 40k Trick:

Dante
–Chapter Relic (Double Base attacks, Str10 Power Weapon)
Sanguinary Guard
–Chapter Banner, 5 Infernus Pistols, Powerfist
... The Reaver goes D-Boom
Awesomeness, Apocolypse can lead to some levels of craziness

Tynskel
05-03-2012, 08:18 AM
I believe Dante n' Co. wiped out something close to 3000 points that day.

I don't think there is a better 40k Character. Sure there are individuals that help their army in great ways, but I have yet to run into another 40k Character completely live up to the legends in the Fluff.

Bean
05-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I believe Dante n' Co. wiped out something close to 3000 points that day.

I don't think there is a better 40k Character. Sure there are individuals that help their army in great ways, but I have yet to run into another 40k Character completely live up to the legends in the Fluff.

How did they get to the Reaver without dying?

Also, really? Not Draigo? He's got nuts stats.

Tynskel
05-04-2012, 06:31 AM
simple. Locked in combat. Dante has Hit n' Run-- so at the end of the opponent's assault phase, he hops out.
Not to mention--- there were 100k points per side. The Reaver was VERY VERY busy bustin' caps of the other Super Heavies.

Oh, and they were within the 24" range, so the barrage missiles couldn't target them, anyhow.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-04-2012, 07:18 AM
My favourite new tactic with the 'crons is as follows:
1. Take Orikan and a basic Overlord (if you have any points left upgrade him with a barge and a scythe), C'tan with Writhing Worldscape and whatever else, many Crypteks with Tremorstaves, bare minimum troop choices, and as many Scarabs and Spyders as possible.
2. Keep your opponent's army locked in place as you go all Tremorstave on their ***.
3. Spawn Scarabs like no man's business.
4. SHOCK AND AWE!!! Charge the Scarabs and eat everything that hasn't blown up.
5. ????
6. PROFIT!

It works so well it's ridiculous.

Turner
05-04-2012, 07:45 AM
My favorite trick to pull against Necrons.

1. Play IG
2. Act all scared when I see Scarabs.
3. Template the emprah out of them.
4. ????
5. Profit.

Sometimes I like to switch it up and laugh.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-04-2012, 08:22 AM
My favorite trick to pull against Necrons.

1. Play IG
2. Act all scared when I see Scarabs.
3. Template the emprah out of them.
4. ????
5. Profit.

Sometimes I like to switch it up and laugh.

Ah, the clevers... I switch tactics against Guard, Scarab Farm doesn't work and neither does Earthshaker, you just keep still and do nothing.
Instead I take a load of Doom Scythes, Tomb Blades, Wraiths and Destroyer Lords. Or Zahndrekh and give Tank Hunter to something (a Stalker maybe???).

Saying that though, my most tremendous victory against Guard was when I "assumed control" of a Manticore with Anrakyr the Traveller and bombed my mate's Leman Russ squadron.

Tynskel
05-04-2012, 08:28 AM
that's just assuming that you get to switch your army list...

One of the best ways to play 40k is to play 'Seven'.
"What's in the Box!"

["Make a list, and find out."]

:: opens box::
"Noooooooooooo!"

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-04-2012, 08:36 AM
that's just assuming that you get to switch your army list...

Sorry, I mean that if I knew that I was playing Guard I'd take that, my all-rounder tournament list is still in production.

clively
05-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Favorite DE trick.

Reserve two groups of 3 Reavers. If they come in too early, just hide them in a corner or behind LOS blocking terrain.

On the final turn zoom up and contest objectives.

Tynskel
05-05-2012, 08:30 AM
How did they get to the Reaver without dying?

Also, really? Not Draigo? He's got nuts stats.

Draigo is awesome sauce. However, Dante, too has a good statline.

The real kicker here is that he is the most mobile and reliable commander of any character in 40k.
comes in on a re-roll for deepstrike
lands exactly where you want him
has a jump pack
has hit n' run.
Gimp's your opponent's HQ (for example, poor Draigo)
Has meltagun
oh, and can also scare the crap outta your opponent in CC

oh,
and his fluff is better than anyone!

"For eleven hundred years, I have fought and I have seen the darkness in our galaxy. I have seen the vileness of the alien and the heresy of the mutant. I have witnessed the sin of possession. I have seen all the evil that the galaxy harbours, and I have slain all whose presence defiles the Emperor. I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay... so fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death."

Tynskel
05-05-2012, 01:24 PM
are these the types of pills that make my space marines come to life? If so, I want a dozen!

Wolfshade
05-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Its like one pill/marine, though terminators require 2+

Bean
05-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Draigo is awesome sauce. However, Dante, too has a good statline.

The real kicker here is that he is the most mobile and reliable commander of any character in 40k.
comes in on a re-roll for deepstrike
lands exactly where you want him
has a jump pack
has hit n' run.
Gimp's your opponent's HQ (for example, poor Draigo)
Has meltagun
oh, and can also scare the crap outta your opponent in CC

oh,
and his fluff is better than anyone!

"For eleven hundred years, I have fought and I have seen the darkness in our galaxy. I have seen the vileness of the alien and the heresy of the mutant. I have witnessed the sin of possession. I have seen all the evil that the galaxy harbours, and I have slain all whose presence defiles the Emperor. I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay... so fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death."

Fair.