PDA

View Full Version : New Rumours - DA, 6th Ed and more

DrLove42
04-23-2012, 03:11 AM
OK so I went to a comp last weekend (yesterday in fact :P).

At this I had a chat with a guy who until recently used to be a GW manager. He talked with me a bit about upcoming stuff.

Now I know this seems like the least credible source in history (better than my brothers friends sister works at a printing company though) but other people from the club he'd come from say hes usually been right about his rumours;

May
Next wave Necrons. Also a suprise wave of fliers (the DE Voidraven, Necron Fliers, an Ork Fightabomba and a aircraft for regular marines. Maybe stuff for other races wasn't sure)at the end of the month, with rules in WD

DA
Next Book.- Preorder at end of may for beginning on June release

6th Ed
End of June.

6th Ed starter box
Will not be released in the traditional pre-UK games day slot, and will likely be earlier (when he didn't say)
Chaos vs DA. DA includes 5 Ravenwing, 5 Deathwing, some Tac Marines and a Deathwing Commander.
Chaos includes some chosen, a sorceror and a boatload of cultists (He did say he didn't see a Dread - which is against every other rumour thus far I think - But he did admit only seeing some of the sprues- Sorceror also opens up possibilites of those plastic Plaguebearers we've heard about before)

Chaos
Will be before the box set, supposedly preorders up at the end of July.

Tau
November.

He claimed GW are trying to release 3 codexes and the main rule book this year, in addition to another fantasy book and the hobbit stuff, so releases may seem more closely packed than we're used to

As I said, credibiltiy seems laughable, but I believed him. Maybe that makes me an idiot. We'll just to wait and see.....

UPDATED

Update - Taken from Natfka at Faeit 212 (http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/6th-edition-starter-set-contents.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Faeit212+(Faeit+212))

via MajorWesJanson
Starter news I have heard from several places now:

Dark Angels:
Terminator Captain
5 Deathwing
Tac Squad
Ravenwing bikes (3 likely)

Chaos:
Sorcerer
Chosen
CSM squad?
Cultists
Posessed?
Dreadnought?

Dreadnought seems likely, as it adds vehicle rules. CSM squad may be referring to the chosen, or may not. Posessed will have to see, but they would add a daemonic aspect to the force.

MarneusCalgar
04-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Well, hope this is true

Wolfshade
04-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Might need to find a friend who plays chaos to get two boxes between us and swap the units.
The other thing I hope is that the armies will be better balanced than in the current box

Emerald Rose Widow
04-23-2012, 03:49 AM
I will say I hope to see the necron fliers, I have been wanting to see one so bad since I saw the new dex. I have a lot of hope for tyhat thing, I hope it is as beautiful as I picture it.

theresponsibleone
04-23-2012, 03:51 AM
See, this is interesting in that a lot of these aren't new rumours. Dark Angels, Chaos, starter boxed set, Necron wave in May, fliers - all have already been said by rumour sources that are regarded as pretty reliable by the forum communities.

The new stuff, as far as I can see, is the timing of the DA book, the fliers having rules in WD and the specific contents of the boxed set. This could be a dedicated forum reader with some conjecture, but I guess we'll start seeing the accuracy as dates come and go...

Deadlift
04-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Thanks for sharing this Dr

If these rumours pan out then this will be a great year for 40k and for me as Dark Angels, Chaos and Tau are all armies I like.

Brakkart
04-23-2012, 04:15 AM
If this is correct then I know a few of my friends will be happy. I'm curious to see what this aircraft for Codex Marines will be, I'm guessing some new variant on the Storm Raven.

isotope99
04-23-2012, 04:22 AM
The basic thrust of these rumours are consistent with others we've seen but the releases are too compressed to be credible IMHO.

Too many kits all for May (Necrons + fliers), possible spread across May and a later month.

Still don't buy chapter specific models in the starter box. Maybe dark angels painting style instead of ultras but would expect them to be generic models usable by any chapter, otherwise we'll see a lot of ultramonks etc.

Starter box can't really come out any earlier than September unless they break with tradition and sell it at the same time as the book (but then why buy the big book and not just use the short version in the box?).

Very much doubt they'll squeeze in 3 codexes plus the book and starter box in June-October pre-Hobbit in November-December. That would imply 40K releases in May, June, July, August, September and October.

eldargal
04-23-2012, 04:43 AM
As much as I would love it to be true I doubt it. Even if GW wanted to do this there are production constraints to take into consideration. In May we would be looking at 9-10 plastic kits maybe a couple less if there are some duel kits (which is not necessarily likely), which is unprecedented.

Happy to be wrong, but I'd caution against anyoen getting their hopes up. Still, we will know in 4 days when WD and the May releases go up for advance order, even if the flyers aren't there they would have to be in the WD.

DrLove42
04-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Like I said, not the most credible of sources, so i don't know

As for models needing to be produced, rumours say the fliers are done (other rumours, other places). The Necrons are all done (release in 2 weeks? They better be). Chaos models have been spotted for months.

If these are true (and i kinda hope they are) the year would look like;

May - Nec 2nd Wave + Fliers
June -DA + Rulebook
July/August - Chaos
August/September - Starter Box
October? - Fantasy
Nov - Tau
Dec - Hobbits

The 5 months of this year so far have seen 2 army books, and some 2nd wave launches and a new paint line. So we know GW can ramp up the release rate if they need to.

Yes this would leave no time for 2nd waves. But given how long some armies have waited for them (Wolves, Bugs, Deamons in the past) its not outside the realm of possibilty

lattd
04-23-2012, 07:57 AM
We've seen second waves joined with army book releases for their other systems, and we did hear rumours, if i remember correctly, that GW is planning to increase production so.

DrLove42
04-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Update - Taken from Natfka at Faeit 212 (http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/6th-edition-starter-set-contents.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Faeit212+(Faeit+212))

via MajorWesJanson
Starter news I have heard from several places now:

Dark Angels:
Terminator Captain
5 Deathwing
Tac Squad
Ravenwing bikes (3 likely)

Chaos:
Sorcerer
Chosen
CSM squad?
Cultists
Posessed?
Dreadnought?

Dreadnought seems likely, as it adds vehicle rules. CSM squad may be referring to the chosen, or may not. Posessed will have to see, but they would add a daemonic aspect to the force.

Deadlift
04-23-2012, 08:38 AM
If this is correct then the Deathwing captain (Belial) must still make DW a troop choice in the next codex as there is only 1 tactical squad in this rumour, either that or FO is going % based.

DrLove42
04-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Black Reach only has 1 squad of marines, 1 of terminators, a dread and a captain. Thats only one "troops" choice.

juliusb
04-23-2012, 10:10 AM
I am skeptical about this rumor because it would be wholly unprecedented. However, there might be some reason behind it.

1. It's generally understood that GW's production capacity has increased in the past few years.
2. They could've had many of these kits ready for release for a while.
3. Go back to 2002-2004. We had 4 codecies in 3 years (one being an amended DE codex), this was attributed to The Lord of the Rings.
4. So far its been a pretty barren 25th anniversary year.

With all that said, maybe GW is planning a huge unprecedented push for 40k during the run-up to Hobbit? The downside being that after this flurry we might go back to 1, maybe 2 codecies in 2013-2014 as the Hobbit dominates release slots? I'm not a rumor source and I'm skeptical of this rumor but perhaps there's more to it.

Kawauso
04-23-2012, 10:27 AM
With all that said, maybe GW is planning a huge unprecedented push for 40k during the run-up to Hobbit? The downside being that after this flurry we might go back to 1, maybe 2 codecies in 2013-2014 as the Hobbit dominates release slots? I'm not a rumor source and I'm skeptical of this rumor but perhaps there's more to it.

That would be alright with me, actually...
I could stand a wait after 6th to catch up on a lot of my armies, particularly if there's a flier wave for a bunch of armies in there somewhere.

MajorWesJanson
04-23-2012, 11:01 AM

Between various rumor sites and a birdy or two, I'm fairly confident about the DA side. Chaos side is more hazy, but several people now have mentioned the Cultists, Sorcerer, and Chosen, so I'd rate those three at least as fairly solid. Posessed I have heard from one place, will see how it turns out. Would add some color to the set though, adding a daemonic element without adding daemons. The mention of CSM is likely referring to the Chosen, who are basically just CSM vets. Dreadnought I am still thinking will happen, if only for the need to have a vehicle of some sort in the starter to teach vehicle rules.

I have also heard about the end of May flier wave, several days before this post showed up. Since this post appeared, I saw it as somewhat corroborative of what I had already heard, so posted myself. Try not to let rumor reverb get too far out of hand.

Rulebook seems to be scattered as to when it actually comes out, but it sounds like July 7 or the Saturday before or after (June 30 or July 14)

Beyond that, I'd still go with Harry and others, who have said that Tau are the first book of 2013, Chaos is the first book of 6th, and also that Tau and Eldar may be back to back.

Rarely do I have actual information, but this time around I have heard a few things. I'd still trust people like Harry and Hastings over me if it came to that. If I am wrong, then I am wrong. If I am right, cool.

Wildeybeast
04-23-2012, 12:52 PM
The problem I have with DA in June is that the WD spine image is nowhere near complete and is clearly a DA. Surely that is leading up to some big DA release? I suppose that DA could be the new 40K poster boys in the same way BT were for 3rd ed, but I would be surprised to see Ultras shunted aside.

Bushido
04-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Black Reach only has 1 squad of marines, 1 of terminators, a dread and a captain. Thats only one "troops" choice.

Not if you build the marines as two 5-man squads. Remember, minimum size for a tactical squad is 5.

DrLove42
04-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Not if you build the marines as two 5-man squads. Remember, minimum size for a tactical squad is 5.

True. But by time the box set comes out DA should have a new codex, so maybe theyl be able to combat squad as well. After all GK can (can BA?)

Houghten
04-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Ah! But. Two of the Marines are equipped with special / heavy weapons, which can only be taken in ten-man squads.

MajorWesJanson
04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
DA were actually the first to introduce combat squads :D

helvexis
04-23-2012, 06:27 PM
yes they can combat squad a ravenwing squadron combat squaded is s4!! kill points
also the first for bike troops and incendery castellan quite a few things actually ... used to have attack bike squads as well :/

Bushido
04-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Ah! But. Two of the Marines are equipped with special / heavy weapons, which can only be taken in ten-man squads.

Those are just "special issue bolters"!

billytwix
04-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Im a big dark angels collector. Sadly i already have a ton of the figs. Im not sure there is enough rumored in the box to justify another starter box or two to trade a chaos player. I could see this box as an awesome chaos starter set and a let down for the DA player. Sceenery perhaps? I think i will be looking to purchase parts only at this point. Or will do a full 180 once i see the sprues.

Prob mini book and maybe some extras... :/ guess i can get caught up on other armies.

DrBored
04-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Exciting!

Let's look at what GW has done over the past couple months. Just today we received the second wave pictures for Necron, due May 5th, along with a huge list of Finecast models for Space Marines. That leaves very few metal models left. We've also seen the release of a few Space Wolf and Tyranid models that needed models. That wraps up a LOT of stuff. As far as I know, the only things missing right now are a handful of SC's across a few Codices and the fliers, which include but are not limited to:

Tyranid Harpy, Dark Eldar Voidraven Bomber, Necron Doomscythe/Nightscythe, and of course the anti-air Imperial Guard Hydra Flak Tank.

That's exactly 4 plastic models, which is not that far fetched for a GW release, and it wraps up a lot of Codices. What have we seen lately? Wrapping up loose ends. It would make a lot of sense, following that theme, to release these fliers (probably along with some finecast SC's for DE and Necron) at the end of May or beginning of June. If there's a White Dwarf that goes along with the fliers, it could be released in May, but I have a feeling that any special WD rules supplement would come out in the following June WD, especially if the models release at the very end of May. (Looking at the calendar, the models could be released June 1st, which is a Friday).

That would then open up the production and release lines for completely new stuff for 6th edition, DA, Chaos, and whatever else.

I'm quite hopeful. May is going to be a busy year...

Cheexsta
04-24-2012, 01:32 AM
DA were actually the first to reintroduce combat squads :D
Fixed :D

If this release schedule is right, then I'll be very excited. However, I'm not holding my breath.

thelion
04-24-2012, 02:30 AM
hmmmm dont know it would be nice to see some new DA stuff though also depending one what chaos faction they put out there are a few where it has ben a long time comming will be nice to see what happens

fun from afgan
thelion

ozybonza
04-24-2012, 05:08 PM

But you can't take the missile launcher guy at 5-man.

Uncle Nutsy
04-24-2012, 09:13 PM
surprise wave of flyers? skeptical.

tau in november? yeah heard that one before.

woodenronin
04-25-2012, 06:25 AM
I could see alot of releases close together. I agree with the wrap up of some of the older codexes ,to focus on the new edition.

Panxer
04-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Don't tell me that Tau are coming out in November. They aren't coming out in November. Do you know when the Tau are coming out? I'll tell you when Tau are coming out... The MOMENT they do, and not a bloody second before! That's it. That is all. How many hearsay 'rumors' do we have to read about and listen to before people just get that it's coming out when it does, and no amount of cheetoes stained and mr pib burbled conjecture or opinion will change that fact.

I want the Tau dex to come out! Badly! With baited breath, I pray to Tau cheesus and the gods of GW for it to happen every night, but I'm too old to believe in ghosts, santa claus, snipes, and most other legal fictions, figments of fancy, and conjecture without GW substantiated fact. I've been down that road before. My psyche is too fragile (and so are the Tau) to take this kind of abuse on a repeated and fraudulent basis.

Make up your own minds, and please take my ramblings for what they are, the bitter and jaded keyboard slappings of a serious and lamenting Tau enthusiast who's been tied to the bumper of hope and drug down the street enough times to learn his lesson and just drop it and move on with my life. It's been better since I gave up hope on the Tau. Liberating. The forgeworld expansion is the best we can hope for for the time being, is real, GW sanctioned, and allows us to change up our tactics just enough to squeeze a little more joy out of this gaming mummy we lovingly called the 'Tau'.

Chuck777
04-25-2012, 11:49 PM
If you are sick of Tau rumors, then you were obviously not a Dark Eldar or Necron player during the dark days of those army's lives.

Panxer
04-26-2012, 07:19 AM
I can't argue that point. But I'll also add that Dark Eldar have their shiny new codex and Tau don't.

Yes, I'm whiny, and if I don't like reading about Tau rumors, then why am I even on this site? Why do I even pay attention? Simple answer. Because deep down I AM hopeful. I want a new codex, as stated before- 'badly'.

And to be honest, I was trolling a bit. Thanks for biting on that...

BUT I believe my stance has merit in that constantly chomping at the bit and scratching at an open sore thinking that it will make it heal any faster is ludicrous in and of itself. It's better to dress the wound (metaphorically described as the wound being a lack of a new Tau codex, and dressing as playing the real forgeworld update for the time being), and checking on it every now and again to make sure it's not festering, and meanwhile concentrating on other things (like learning and mastering the current tau codex), and POW the moment that it comes, you'll be elated and ecstatic, and you wouldn't have focused upon and wasted your time on a topic that you have no say or effect upon. It's easier on the psyche, believe me.

Believe me! I'm hopeful! But beating a dead horse won't make it get up and dance to MC Hammer (WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN!?). It'll be out when it's out. Not a moment before. Period.

And from what I've "heard" from a former GW employee who still has contacts and insight into the business, if you want to talk 'rumors', is that the Tau codex and all the new minis have been done for months now, and are just waiting for a release date from GW. So in return for GW's consideration, I will not be shelling forth anymore hard earned dollars or even expending thought as ransom for something that is complete, but not forthcoming. I'll just snarkilly tap upon my cheetoes stained keyboard, sucking up my mr pibb, and weigh heavily in on a topic which I have no constructive say in, but am none the less compelled by my overinflated sense of self worth, that my opinion is vital and must be read and digested by forum chasers (myself included).

Please feel free to ignore this...my inner waj is showing. :p

Malcontent
04-26-2012, 02:38 PM
I think I've figured out why the boxed set would be released at the same time as the big book. The reason is to allow time for the hobbit minis to amp up attention for the film which comes out in December. This way the miniatures act as a preview for the film, and allow GW to space releases out to prevent major spoilers for the movie which the contract for the hobbit likely requires.

LordGrise
04-26-2012, 09:32 PM
::raises three-quarters emptied rock glass of Evan Williams (neat) to the wisdom of the Panxxer:: I'm in his corner. ::empties the glass::

Chuck777
04-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I think I've figured out why the boxed set would be released at the same time as the big book. The reason is to allow time for the hobbit minis to amp up attention for the film which comes out in December. This way the miniatures act as a preview for the film, and allow GW to space releases out to prevent major spoilers for the movie which the contract for the hobbit likely requires.

Spoilers for a movie based on a book that was written in 1937!? Really? Spoiler alert: Bilbo acquires the One Ring!

Uncle Nutsy
04-26-2012, 10:08 PM
all these different tau rumors for different dates are really getting me down whenever I think of them.

I want my safe plasma, my railguns, my seeker missiles, my SMS, my ridiculously mobile suits, my burst cannons and my drones to be as crazy as they sound. And i'd like it before the next five years. I have images racing through my mind of a line of suits with burst cannons blazing and missiles roaring while racing up to deal with the enemy, with broadsides and battle tanks firing like MAD to support them. BAM! there goes a Landraider, cleaved in two and thrown back hundreds of feet by a white hot slug streaking along at mach 7. Kaboom! there goes a Rhino in a ball of flame after being slammed by a barrage of missiles. And while this is going on, there's a firewarrior taking careful aim, squeezing the trigger and catching a librarian square in the face with a pulse round.

yes that's right, I said Mobile Suits. no relation to anything gundam. more armored core/battletech.

And from what I've "heard" from a former GW employee who still has contacts and insight into the business, if you want to talk 'rumors', is that the Tau codex and all the new minis have been done for months now, and are just waiting for a release date from GW

*twitch*

are they just waiting for the 'throw a dart at a date' party or what?

morkalg
04-27-2012, 05:46 AM
I would LOVE to see an Ork flyer. Also though... I wonder what the Chaos cultists consist of? I just started a small Chaos force and have been reluctant to add much to it in anticipation of new Chaos stuff to come.

Wildcard
04-27-2012, 06:55 AM
I wonder what the Chaos cultists consist of?

You mean a cultist squad or the codex itself that presents them?

If former: I think it could be guardsmen squad- like with autoguns in place of lasguns. Also with a fancy rule for the wicked ;) .

If latter: I wouldn't mind seeing IG- type organisation of weaker cultist as troops, and to really give them some contrast, buffed chaos marines as an elite choice - elite as in "we've been trained by the primarch and have fought in battles where more marines died than there is at the end of 41st millenium - and lived through it to tell the tale".

Support tanks for the cultists could be those arachnid-type tanks with laser and battle cannon mounts that i think Dan Abbnet wrote in one of his Gaunts Ghost books..

Or.. i'll just shut up..

MajorWesJanson
04-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Cultists are likely a cannon fodder unit, like gretchin, rather than a whole section of the book with their own support units and such. I'd guess 10-30 unit size, some upgrades for things like zombies, mutants, preachers, traitor guardsmen, and options to take some special weapons at 1 per x models. That's all. No stalk tanks, or blood pact, or any of that stuff. Just one unit with simplified henchmen options.

Not a rumor, just speculation.

eldargal
04-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Ok, so the latest from Warseer re: flyers is:

-SM, Necron and Ork flyers up for sale on June 2nd
-Other flyers sometime after that (Void Raven, Chaos, rumoured other flyer(s).

Wildeybeast
04-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm surprised that amongst these flyer rumours there doesn't seem to have been any chatter about a Tau flyer. Could that be coming as part of a new Tau codex in the not too distant future? Or is that just a case of wishful thinking?

DrLove42
04-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Ok, so the latest from Warseer re: flyers is:

-SM, Necron and Ork flyers up for sale on June 2nd
-Other flyers sometime after that (Void Raven, Chaos, rumoured other flyer(s).

So Marines and Orks get a flier, but DE who've been waiting for it for 2 years, and if rumours are to be believed has been finished for nearly 9 months have to wait even longer?

Kawauso
04-28-2012, 11:45 AM
So Marines and Orks get a flier, but DE who've been waiting for it for 2 years, and if rumours are to be believed has been finished for nearly 9 months have to wait even longer?

To be fair, they already have one flier.

MajorWesJanson
04-28-2012, 11:42 PM
I play Dark Eldar (Among many other armies) and support the idea of SM, Orks, and Necrons getting their fliers before the Void Raven drops. A SM flier will sell well and get people used to Fliers showing up in games, Orks are very popular for Xenos, so getting a flier is a good thing, and Crons need their flier to finish their book.

The Void Raven is going to look awesome when it comes out, but we have Razorwings until then. A Nid Harpy could also be a second wave thing because Nids recently got a bunch of MCs, especially the winged Tyrant. As for Chaos, Eldar, and Tau fliers, I'd guess they will just do them alongside the codex releases for them this year and next year.

Kawauso
04-28-2012, 11:51 PM
I really wish there was a melee version of the Harpy to look forward to...

...and some way for winged MCs to reliably 'catch' and down fast skimmers/fliers in CC.

eldargal
04-29-2012, 02:27 AM
I really want a Voidraven too, but we did get the Razorwing Jetfighter whereas Orks & Necrons don't have a flyer and only GK and BA have one.

david5th
04-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Not really relevant in terms of content but the following happened yesterday.

Phoned Warhammer World events team asking why the event pack for Imperial Armour Warmarch in August wasn't online 5 days before tickets are for sale and was told -
"(pause)...erm, the guy that wrote it is on holiday but it is finished, yeah he's on holiday so thats why there's a delay."

Sounds more like -
" we're writing a pack for a campaign that might being played in a edition we have not announced yet. We've being trying to write so as not to give too much away, so that's the delay."

Maybe i'm reading too much into it.

DrLove42
04-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Also...with all the new stuff is the Necron codex finished now (bar the flier?). Have they got a model for all their IC's now?

david5th
04-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Also just noticed that on Warhammer World part of GW website for Imperial Armour in August it says the following-

Don't forget a copy of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook and your relevant Army Book/Codex.

Use of the word Army Book seems interesting, i know WFB has Army books.

bobrunnicles
05-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Also...with all the new stuff is the Necron codex finished now (bar the flier?). Have they got a model for all their IC's now?

Not quite, still missing Orikan the Diviner and Anrakyr the Traveller. Then again the DE are still missing a few of theirs too so its not unprecedented.

DrLove42
05-03-2012, 09:42 AM
DE are missing most of theirs. We got Lelith and Urien and generic Archon/Succubus . We're missing Malys, Vect, Kheurendergergergergerger, the Baron and the Duke. And a good model for Drahzar.

Necrons have had more IC characters released in 6 months that DE have in nearly 2 years.

ON A RUMOUR FRONT;

The BoLs facebook page (seriously who is incharge of this page!) has posted;

‎40K: Little birds are saying Ahriman is psychic Mastery level 4, and grants D3 units infiltration. A nice counterpoint to Eldrad dont you think

I dion't know about you, but (based on the GK and Fantasy) that sounds like he can do 4 physic powers a turn.

And D3 infiltration is WAY better than Eldrads redeploy. Both happen after all deployment, but infiltrate means the enemy can be within a good fleet rolls charge range on turn 1.

Or can be deployed deep into the enemies half, so much so that in DoW it could be possible that if you don't deploy something on the board, it can't come on (infiltrate a massive group of cultists and just spread them along the back board).

Defenestratus
05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I think Eldrad should be mastery level 8.

At least.

DrLove42
05-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Hmmm...

Ahriman is one of the few characters in the game who should be top level physkers. And yes Eldrad is another.

I think Eldrad and Ahriman....uh....maybe in the future Ork wierdboys level will be set my how many boyz there are to give him power
Farseers - Level 3

DrLove42
05-04-2012, 04:17 AM
So the rumours say Chaos is in the hands of Phil Kelly (may 6's be upon him).

So....the other 2 books this year (DA and Tau...) ones in the hands of Ward and the other in Cruddance. And if the order pans out (DA first) I reckon DA get Ward, as Cruddance has only just finished Empire.

Which means Tau get Cruddance. Bugger

Kawauso
05-04-2012, 08:19 AM
So the rumours say Chaos is in the hands of Phil Kelly (may 6's be upon him).

So....the other 2 books this year (DA and Tau...) ones in the hands of Ward and the other in Cruddance. And if the order pans out (DA first) I reckon DA get Ward, as Cruddance has only just finished Empire.

Which means Tau get Cruddance. Bugger

But!

Cruddace wrote IG, and thematically/gameplay-wise, Tau should be very similar...

Kaika87
05-04-2012, 08:32 AM
But!

Cruddace wrote IG, and thematically/gameplay-wise, Tau should be very similar...

Cruddace also wrote Tyranids and the WD Sisters of Battle.

Kawauso
05-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Cruddace also wrote Tyranids and the WD Sisters of Battle.

I understand that - very well, as 'Nids is an army I play.

Doesn't really matter in the context of my original post, though.

Denied
05-04-2012, 08:50 AM

When was the last time you saw either a Tyranid player or Sisters of battle place in the top of either a GT or RT, and this is not from a lack of people who enjoy Tyranids its because their army does not work in the current model of the game used by the indy tournament scene.

This is mostly because point wise Tyranids don't work well in the 1850 range that we see most tournaments running. They are actually not bad at around 1500 (which is where the game is arguable play tested for balance purposes) and they are freaking god like at 1000pts or lower (depending on FOC used). This is mostly because at those higher point values other armies (of the Marine variant) can field lots of fun models that easily wipe out the bugs.

Kaika87
05-04-2012, 08:55 AM

'Tis relevant indeed. It means he's 1 for 2 in codex-writing.

DrLove42
05-04-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd call its 1.5 for 3 in codex writting

He scores 0.75 for Guard (good, but only in one real build. No one uses Ogyrns, Ratlings, 5 out of 6 Russes, Deathstrike etc)
0.5 for Nids - Some good stuff, quite good in smaller games, have seen them do well in large games though
0.25 for Sisters - Some good stuff, but no flavour, fluff and stripped heavily down punish them (played a good game against them a few weeks back, otherwise I would have just called them a write off)

Although apparantly the Empire book (also his) isn't too bad for Fantasy so who knows.

If he does do Tau, either he needs to improve or its going to be competitve, but only in one build. He's decent with gunline armies. I'm just scared for the fluff...

DrBored
05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
It worries me that Ward could be doing DA. If that's the case, expect another huge jump in codex creep as he tries to redeem himself for the atrocity of Grey Knights.

Kaika87
05-04-2012, 09:27 AM

He scores 0.75 for Guard (good, but only in one real build. No one uses Ogyrns, Ratlings, 5 out of 6 Russes, Deathstrike etc)
0.5 for Nids - Some good stuff, quite good in smaller games, have seen them do well in large games though
0.25 for Sisters - Some good stuff, but no flavour, fluff and stripped heavily down punish them (played a good game against them a few weeks back, otherwise I would have just called them a write off)

Although apparantly the Empire book (also his) isn't too bad for Fantasy so who knows.

If he does do Tau, either he needs to improve or its going to be competitve, but only in one build. He's decent with gunline armies. I'm just scared for the fluff...

I'll crack jokes about Sisters at the drop of a hat, but they can still do some mean things.

musical-fool
05-04-2012, 09:30 AM
When was the last time you saw either a Tyranid player or Sisters of battle place in the top of either a GT or RT, and this is not from a lack of people who enjoy Tyranids its because their army does not work in the current model of the game used by the indy tournament scene.

This is mostly because point wise Tyranids don't work well in the 1850 range that we see most tournaments running. They are actually not bad at around 1500 (which is where the game is arguable play tested for balance purposes) and they are freaking god like at 1000pts or lower (depending on FOC used). This is mostly because at those higher point values other armies (of the Marine variant) can field lots of fun models that easily wipe out the bugs.

TOLS Qualification last month:
1st, GK; 2nd, SoB....12th SoB. Just saying

Defenestratus
05-04-2012, 10:48 AM
from the BoLS Google+ page:

Bell of Lost Souls12:35 PM - Public
More talk of Warhammer Fantasy rules mechanics moving to 40k 6th edition. Latest was the "mystery terrain" that can impact the game coming over.

Kawauso
05-04-2012, 10:51 AM
'Tis relevant indeed. It means he's 1 for 2 in codex-writing.

Yes. But the IG codex is pretty good. And Tau function similarly as an army. Therefore I would expect if he were to do the Tau codex, there's a pretty good chance he wouldn't mangle it, as the core principles of the army are something he seems to understand alright.

Kawauso
05-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Depends what you mean with regard to how many builds are viable.

Competitively, I can't speak with any authority, really, but the IG codex doesn't really have any truly dead weight units in it with the exception of the Ratlings and Ogryn, I think.

I've used the Leman Russ Eradicator on at least one occasion to devastating effect. Wiped out an entire squad of Eldar Guardians (save the Warlock) in one shot. Good times. It's not the sort of thing you'd throw into an all-rounder tournament list, but for casual play the alternate Russ builds are a load of fun.

Bushido
05-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I had a squad of Ogryn with ol' Iron Hand assault a squad of 10 of my Blood Claws, kill them, then go on to destroy the Land Raider they came in on, in two turns.

bfmusashi
05-04-2012, 05:24 PM
What was Straken for?

Father
05-04-2012, 05:52 PM
"More talk of Warhammer Fantasy rules mechanics moving to 40k 6th edition. Latest was the "mystery terrain" that can impact the game coming over. "

Jesus...

Big Jim
05-04-2012, 06:14 PM
"More talk of Warhammer Fantasy rules mechanics moving to 40k 6th edition. Latest was the "mystery terrain" that can impact the game coming over. "

Jesus...

Nice more meat for my narrative gaming, I say bring on the deathworlds!:cool:

Chuck777
05-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Love the idea of random terrain being added to 40k.

We could have infested ruins, mined forests, death world swamps... Yeah, sweet!

Cpt Codpiece
05-04-2012, 09:39 PM
i really do m iss the old randomness of 2nd ed at times.

the old deathworld rules with spore trees and brain leech vines, then there were those lovely vortex grenades and drifting clouds of hallucinogens :) good times

i do hope a small part of that stuff comes back, just not in the same way as all those random rolls took way too much time.

mot666
05-05-2012, 03:10 AM
i hope 6th is more like 2nd, i miss followup moves amongst other things. i want my voidravens. special chars for DE and nids. if it wasnt for the advent of resin, id be crying out for more poses for grotesque/monkulies. i also want some DE terrain. *that* would be cool.

gendoikari87
05-05-2012, 05:21 AM
Guard was one of the best codex's of 6th, just sayin if that's what yall are worried about.

eldargal
05-05-2012, 05:34 AM
If by best you mean broken with undercosted vehicles and OP builds, then yes.

bfmusashi
05-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Iron's a more plentiful resource than solidified emotion.

DrLove42
05-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Iron's a more plentiful resource than solidified emotion.

Not really we can will ours out of thin air. Least the Eldars material rescources will outlast the imperium!

bfmusashi
05-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Willed out of thin air by a member of a race that can not access the warp directly, who needs to spend an extensive amount of time training to the exclusion of all other activities, and who is a member of a numerically scarce people that has trouble making babies. Iron, it's in the ground and can be extracted by Bob the unskilled laborer, member of a species notoriously good at making babies.

apahllo
05-07-2012, 01:58 AM
DARK ANGLES FINECAST:D:D:D
cannot resist, im gonna

buy all the new DA!!!!!!!!!

DrLove42
05-08-2012, 09:38 AM
New Chaos rumours from Faeit 212

via warmaster
i've been content till now to sit back and watch...but i think nows the time to chime in.concerning the soon coming chaos legions.....lets say "theoretically"(to protect my source)i have a close friend in game development.they have assured me that the new codex will be everything we debased chaos junkies have been hoping for and more!!!!!!

first,legions will be able to fight the way they are meant to, and with the way 6th editions % system will work,the armys will be even more legion specific playable.....

word bearers with all possessed as troops,or iron warrior armys with insane amounts of heavy weapons,all terminator black legion armys!!!!!also,dreadnaughts are not being replaced....they are being made even meaner and will have more weapon options-and NO RANDOM EFFECTS!!!!

there will be new characters...can you say little horus, honsou, argel tal, korpharon, the soul hunter...just to name a few.

existing characters will be made meaner and more playable(cost less).also,the new fluff is -as i was told-mind blowing,melt your brain down for a week!!!!

about 6th edition,i was told that it will blow your mind once you actually play it,the game is faster,bloodier and will turn you into a blood thirsty warlord who cant wait for his next fight!!!!!!

for those of you who are already complaining about the future with 6th edition i say this......wait and give it a chance,my source has told me that gw has been listning to us and that 90% of 6th edition was made with the input of veteran players

word has it all cult troops will be cheaper, and that the thousand sons magik abilities will make peoples heads spin!!!!basically chaos WILL BE THE BAD BOYS OF LEGEND

Its interesting....contradicts a few other chaos rumours (no new IC's, dreads being gone etc) and files a few things under 6th edition.

However it also talks about Thousand Sons "magic" and suggests that they get to choose their powers...

eldargal
05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I hope he is right about 6th, I won't make a judgement until I play a dozen games or so but if the rumours are accurate (which I doubt) I'm not sure I'll be thrilled. Seems to be bad for T3 armies in general.

The Chaos rumours are interesting, particularly about the excellent fluff. I've always found the Chaos Marine background to be a bit generic villainesque, except perhaps Ahriman.

DrBored
05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Definitely seems like an excitable person, and there's stuff in here that does make some sense. Disregard whatever he says about the characters from Black Library (that's conjecture).

Here's the thing that has had me suspect about some of the Chaos Legion rumors for a while. People keep saying that there are no new Special Characters.

Every Codex that has come out has come out with new characters. Blood Angels got Astaroth, IG got Bastonne, Grey Knights got Draigo, Dark Eldar got Sathonyx. I could be wrong about all of those, but from what I'm seeing, Codexes are getting more *new* things, not sticking solely with the old.

So then.. why should Chaos Marines get the shaft? Why, with all the reams of fluff that have come out for us, why is it Chaos that ends up not getting a new Special Character to represent something other than the 4 major gods, Black Legion, and Red Corsairs? I see it as perfectly reasonable to add in a few extra Special Characters, maybe even remove one or two (I'm looking at you Huron Blackheart and Fabius Bile).

So, I'm hopeful that some of these are true. It does seem like a bad case of rumor reverb (with no actual source, just this guy wanting to sound more important). A couple people have dismissed them outright because of the Special Character rumors, but... well, they're all rumors.

Time will tell I suppose. I for one would love some new Special Characters, awesome Thousand Sons magic, new rules for Dreads, and ways to play all 9 Chaos Legions.

Bigred
05-08-2012, 11:33 AM
there will be new characters...can you say little horus, honsou, argel tal, korpharon, the soul hunter...just to name a few.

I stopped reading right there.

This is based on an older discredited branch of the rumortree based on Ghost21's hoaxes.

A lot of this goes against what is coming from almost everyone else, in particular the inclusion of "minor" Horus Heresy novel characters whose fate within the heresy has not yet been decided.

Demski-bowden himself said that Little Horus would not be appearing in the codex.

Why would a new codex having to cover 9 traitor legions include TWO Word Bearers characters? (Argel Tal, Kor Pharon)

This doesn't pass the smell test.

MajorWesJanson
05-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Why would a new codex having to cover 9 traitor legions include TWO Word Bearers characters? (Argel Tal, Kor Pharon)

I doubt those rumors too, but on this point, there are already 3 characters from Emperor's Children- Lucius, Fabulous Bill, and Doomrider.

Defenestratus
05-08-2012, 03:57 PM
That rumor came from the mind of a dedicated chaos fanboy - not from a games developer.

apahllo
05-09-2012, 01:59 AM
I hope he is right about 6th, I won't make a judgement until I play a dozen games or so but if the rumours are accurate (which I doubt) I'm not sure I'll be thrilled. Seems to be bad for T3 armies in general.

The Chaos rumours are interesting, particularly about the excellent fluff. I've always found the Chaos Marine background to be a bit generic villainesque, except perhaps Ahriman.

i dont want them to go necrons on khorne though...(not that im against the necron change, its just khorne cant go all emotional on us now) id hate to se them change the general fluff of chaos. going more in depth and having character like typhus being more involved in their chapter ala ahriman would be be something welcomed in my eyes.

the dark eldar and necron books do give me hope for the future of warhammer. it seems there is going to be so much more you can do with each army.:D

daboarder
05-09-2012, 03:37 AM
I doubt his rumours myself, you no longer get BL characters appearing in codex's, that being said I also find it hard to believe that there are NO NEW chaos characters.

DrLove42
05-09-2012, 08:15 AM
OUr own Dr Bored up there, new rumors from Faeit 212

via drbored

Alright guys, here's a little tidbit from my source.
Apparently, this ex-forgeworld employee is certain that Chaos will get new Special Characters.

They will not be in the first wave of releases, but will be in the Codex. He's suggested that most of the rumors we're seeing (no new Special Characters rumor) are based on the first wave of model releases, not on actual Codex content.

This seems more believable than no new IC's to me. Maybe some resculpts for some of the old characters in the first wave

Wildcard
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Even tho those chaps at the 30k timeline are cool and characteristic persons, including them in the "current timeframe codex (be that advanced in storyline or not), would mean that its destiny would be locked in for the BL writers. No heroic sacrifice, no glorious death.

I think Bear is the only loyal character out there who was present at the time of heresy. So that said, it could be done, though establishing a fluff would most likely leave a sour aftertaste, especially if one such character would be introduced to the loyal side.

Chaos would be done more easily though. But i fear the sourness would come eventually in that aspect as well. New Millenia, new time of conquest and chaos would pave way for a new champion / antagonist, something like anakwar sek and gaur were made "out of nowhere" at some point (to my understanding) to be the reason for a sector wide campaign, that involved lots of different chapters of SM, whole regiments of IG, and new aspects of Chaos worshipping armed forces, and CSM.