PDA

View Full Version : Magnetizing The Stegadon: Will This Work?

ElectricPaladin
04-19-2012, 11:06 AM
So, the Stegadon is a beautiful and expensive model. While I'm occasionally willing to buy multiples of some things, I don't believe that my budget can accomodate multiple Stegadons. Therefore, I've decided to magnetize it, creating a Stegadon for all seasons. What I want to do hear is summarize what I plan on doing and hear your opinions and wisdom, so I don't waste too much time and wreck too much plastic with my mad endeavor.

So far I've had plenty of luck magnetizing the blowguns, which I did by simply cutting off the peg-and-socket arrangement and replacing it with two magnets, one on each end. The giant bow is also proving pretty easy - just put a pair of magnets on the front face of the howdah and the back face of the bow, and it should snap together nicely. Those magnets will rest in drilled-out holes, so they'll sit flush. As for the Engine of the Gods thing... it honestly just fits nicely into place. I don't think I need to magnetize it at all.

My plan for the skink crew is a little more complicated. What I'd like to do is magnetize them as well, so I can remove them from the howdah as they are killed. In the future, when the Stegadon's rules are updated that they more closely resemble those of the Way Huge Spider and my opponent can't attack the skinks, I'll use them as wound markers instead. The plan is to simply glue the Skink Priest to the steps of the Engine of the Gods, since he'll always be the last skink to die, anyway, and once he's gone I can just remove the entire Engine of the Gods assembly because it won't be doing anything anyway. A magnet will be positioned for the skink warchief underneath the Engine assembly so I can use the Stegadon as a skink warchief's mount. A generic skink will replace him when I use the Stegadon as a no-frills chariot.

Now, the skinks are a little more complicated. The magnets on the howdah will be placed in drilled-out holes, because the howdah is thick enough to support that kind of treatment. It will screw up the designs a little... but those parts that are screwed up will be under a skink's foot nine times out of ten, so who cares. However, there's no way to drill into the skink's feet, so the plan there is to just glue the magnet to the skink's foot. It will look a little odd, but I can paint it a neutral color - the same brown as the howdah, probably - and it will usually blend in. I saw a Big McLarge Spider with night goblins attached in similar ways, and the little magnets weren't too noticeable.

So, what do you think? Are there any modeling and converting pitfalls you think I should be aware of? Are there any rules problems I'm likely to run into - ways in which my plans will violate WYSIWYG or make some game play facet awkward later?

Thanks in advance. I'll post pics when I've got them.

Brakkart
04-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Having recently stuck my housemates Stegadon together (cos the size of the kit kinda intimidated him) I have to say that everything you've said seems to make a lot of sense. He just wanted his one done up as an Engine of the Gods so that's what he got, but as I use magnets I was looking at it as I worked and thinking very much along the same lines as you are.

Kaiserdean
04-24-2012, 11:06 AM
You might not have to magnetize the crew. I suggest a simple pinning technique with wire "pegs" that will keep the crew in place but you won't need to have the lumpy magnets sticking up. I often do this with Empire riders and it works great, but you have leave a long enough wire to keep them secure, maybe even pinning both feet.

ElectricPaladin
04-24-2012, 02:04 PM
You might not have to magnetize the crew. I suggest a simple pinning technique with wire "pegs" that will keep the crew in place but you won't need to have the lumpy magnets sticking up. I often do this with Empire riders and it works great, but you have leave a long enough wire to keep them secure, maybe even pinning both feet.

Oooh. A good thought, but alas, it's too late - I've already started magnetizing. Honestly, it doesn't look bad at all. In most cases, I've been able to "hide" the magnet by arranging the skink so that both feet still touch the ground. I'm most proud of the skink priest, who is magnetized so that one foot rests on his magnet and the other rests on a higher step on the engine of the gods-pyramind-thing. I'll post pics when it's done (magnets arrive tomorrow!).