PDA

View Full Version : Question Concerning Dragons(or any other monster with scaly skin/armor save)

Skeith154
04-16-2012, 11:38 PM
So, here's my question: does a dragon only grant it's rider +1 bonus to his armor save? a dragon has scaly skin, which counts has an armor save for it. would that not mean it counts has a form of barding too? therefore boosting the riders AS bonus to +2? i've not seen any other people asking this question nor have i yet to find an answer to it. the rule book would make it seem as though you only add +1 bonus. but that doesn't make much sense... seeing has an armored horse adds +2 to his rider. why not a giant scaly lizard? the griffon for instance would make sense has to why only a +1 to rider AS, seeing has a griffon has no AS at all. hopefully some one can answer my question.:confused:

Chronowraith
04-17-2012, 04:03 AM
When an opponent shoots at the dragon + rider all hits would be randomized between the two (usually 1-4 = monster and 5-6 the rider). The dragon would receive its scaly skin save if it is hit and the rider would receive his normal armor save.

The rider only receives a +1 to his AS for being mounted in this case. Does it always make sense? No, but that is following the rules in the rulebook. Unless a monster/mount stats specifically that you receive +2,+3, etc to your armor save, or you possess actual barding then you simply receive the normal +1 AS for being mounted.

Skeith154
04-17-2012, 07:11 AM
hmm. well i suppose if thats how it works then. thanks.

Wildeybeast
04-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Scaly skin does not grant an a bonus armour save to the rider, only actual barding does. For example, cold one riders would only get +2 bonus if the cold one had barding.

Skeith154
04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks. the rules say only a Bonus of 1 so thats what it is. i was just thinking that scaly skin is technically like barding(barding is ment to protect the horse after all) so i thought maybe it would boost the rider as well. that being said cold ones have a +2 save to rider due to being Tougher or having scales no? since they have no barding option that i'm aware of. (mind you i'm working on a outdated 5 Edition book for them)

Skeith154
05-05-2012, 09:45 AM
oh reeeeeally?