PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angel Mystery Image

Bigred
04-16-2012, 11:20 AM
The strangest things show up in the BoLS email box.

I'll let you all speculate at will.

celestialatc
04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Well, I think we all knew it was a Dark Angel. The question is, what does it mean? I think this will be the rise of the Dark Angels as being THE Space Maine chapter for a while, at least until their a new Codex: Space Marine.

lattd
04-16-2012, 12:04 PM
I would say it means dark angels are 6 months away as well, going by the number to finish the picture.

Kaika87
04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Well, I think we all knew it was a Dark Angel. The question is, what does it mean? I think this will be the rise of the Dark Angels as being THE Space Maine chapter for a while, at least until their a new Codex: Space Marine.

That isn't just any Dark Angel, that's Asmodai. The helmet gives it away without any doubt.

http://www.postavy.cz/foto/asmodai-foto.jpg

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, it's TOO exact. Identical, even. Larry, methinks the picture you were sent is a fake.

celestialatc
04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
That isn't just any Dark Angel, that's Asmodai. The helmet gives it away without any doubt.

http://www.postavy.cz/foto/asmodai-foto.jpg

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, it's TOO exact. Identical, even. Larry, methinks the picture you were sent is a fake.

Nice Catch! And you are right, it's a little too exact.

Wildeybeast
04-16-2012, 12:54 PM
WD goes to print three months in advance of release. There are 10 issues of WD in that picture and we only have four released so far. The only way the full image can exist is in a complete version, since the actual WD spines don't exist yet to form this picture. Also, the picture quality is terrible, far worse than what is actually on the spines of WD and there are no white lines on the edge of the WD spine. 100% Fake.

Defenestratus
04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
100% Fake.

And the Storm Beagle is a April fools joke, right? :P

pgarfunkle
04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Yep agree, looks like a completely different gun too

UltramarineFan
04-16-2012, 02:53 PM
How can you miss the obvious fact that the guns are different??

inquisitorsog
04-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Anyway, since when is GW loathe to recycle art, even for new products?

darthslowe
04-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Seriously? This image has already made the rounds on Warseer and Dakkadakka, and has been outed as a fake on both sites. Can we please just let this die?

Kaika87
04-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Situation: We have four spine images, showcasing a combi-plasma and a robed foot. I want to make a fake image such that the rest of the image is Asmodai.

Solution: I use photoshop and splice the two images together. Except there's one glaring flaw with the image Larry posted, and I'll repost the four-spine image we have so far:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B9C4wmXR5v0/T4pT-gGuxeI/AAAAAAAAMGk/QPXrFIIIeR0/s1600/WD-mystery-2012-april.jpg

See that skeletal finger/arrow on the chest? Now look at Larry's image again. Notice anything missing? Now compare the backpacks. Don't match. If pressed, I could "finish" the combi-plasma in photoshop, merge it with the Asmodai picture, and make it grainy as a low-quality image. But if, in doing so, I erase details that have already been published to the general public? Doesn't fly.

Necron2.0
04-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Don't know who the figure is supposed to be of or how legitimate the image posted by Bigred is, but at this point there can be little doubt that the figure emerging on the WD spines is in fact a Dark Angel. Compare the the emerging backpack "Stabilizer Jet" (that's what several sources refer to it as) on the spine image with the image on the cover of the current DA Codex:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1240060_60030101009_DarkAngelscodexmain_873x627.j pg

They are the same. I personally have not seen that exact same representation on any other Space Marine figure. Maybe someone can find another image that shows the same haloed skull iconography, but until then it can only be the self-same Space Marine that grace the DA Codex cover.

Edit: Looking at it again, that "skeletal finger/arrow" thingy is clearly the handle of a sword, the same as on the cover.

bfmusashi
04-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Those aren't exhaust vents now? When'd that happen?!?

Necron2.0
04-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Those aren't exhaust vents now? When'd that happen?!?

<*Shrug*> http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Armour

Other sources have said the same thing. I myself am not fully buying it, but I'll run with it for now.

bfmusashi
04-18-2012, 07:08 AM
The Rogue Trader cross section (which also shows marines storing poop in their boots) strikes again!

Dru
04-21-2012, 01:23 PM
I would buy it if it were a commander , I dont think GW will put a Chap int he starter box , and I think its more likely they are teasing a Starter box as apposed to just the Dex .

DarkAngel351976
04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
IMHO the picture developing on the spines of the White Dwarf magazines is for the 25th anniversary of 40k. I don't think that is hinting at the new Codex release or the starter box set. I think that the spine image is a Dark Angel to represent a more prominent role the Dark Angels may have in the next millennium. I just hope a new Dark Angels Codex comes out soon. It is getting harder and harder to beat SW and GK in all the tournaments with the current Codex. I currently have never lost any games to either army in tournaments, but that is probably good dice rolling. I never seem to do good against Eldar though. Sorry, I went off on a tangent. I have no sources for my info(WD image), it just my opinion based on logic. Feel free to criticize if you like, that's what forums a for, constructive criticism. Fire away.......:)

On another note, if anyone could put up a pic of the WD image with the May issue(When it come out), that would be much appreciated. Thank you...:)

The Madman
05-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Just got back from town with the new WD, Bigred photo can be confirmed as fake (some more).

DrLove42
05-25-2012, 08:50 AM
No doubt its a Dark Angel now I don't think...is he anyone in particular though?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Could be Cypher? Though I doubt it.

MajorWesJanson
05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Looks like a Captain/Company Master of some sort.

Deadlift
05-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Looks like a Captain/Company Master of some sort.

This ^

Its a generic captain imo, still not wanting to take away anything for GWs idea for this spine idea. I think its neat and its got people talking each and every month.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-25-2012, 09:27 AM
I, for one, miss the quotes that were on the spine!
Everyone at GW Shrewsbury missed that they were on them, then I pointed it out.
Call me Hawkeye. :D

eldargal
05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Azrael probly.

Foxhound2delta
05-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Azrael probly.

I'm inclined to say the same as you. I'm really exited to get my hands on this new issue. Leaving right now!!!.

AASLT

Dalleron
05-25-2012, 09:52 PM
any chance of getting an update of the spine pic here on the forum.

juliusb
05-25-2012, 09:58 PM
I know that guy, his name is Steve. He's cool.

Wildeybeast
05-26-2012, 04:33 AM
any chance of getting an update of the spine pic here on the forum.

Umm, the madman posted a pic on page 2 of this thread with all the issues so far. That do you?

Cheexsta
05-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Azrael probly.
My money is on Azrael, too. Could be a new type of gun he'll get with the DA codex? It's obviously not a combi-plasma (though it could just be artistic license; he does have an incredibly small head...), so maybe he'll be like Marneus or Belial and have a choice of a couple of different pieces of wargear.

Dalleron
05-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Mdman's photo is great. I thought the thread was too old for it to be updated with that pic. Looks awesome

The Madman
05-27-2012, 09:31 AM
After using my photoshoop-fu i've fixed the image up a little so it gives a better assembly then my previous photo did.

MarneusCalgar
05-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the fixing work, Madman!

Dalleron
05-27-2012, 12:57 PM
I don't think that's a combi plas. It looks like a simple plasma gun. So going off that, I don' think it's Azreal. Who ever it is looks bad bottom though

The Madman
05-27-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't think that's a combi plas. It looks like a simple plasma gun. So going off that, I don' think it's Azreal. Who ever it is looks bad bottom though

people's guesses are that its a twin-linked plasma gun as it has two fuel cells (one on top and one below) which isn't typical of a normal plasma gun.

lattd
05-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Definitely looks like a twin linked plasma pistol, too short for a gun but has two cells and two barrels (is that the right word for a plasma weapon), maybe DA are getting a plasma variant like BA got a melta pistol?

Dalleron
05-27-2012, 05:33 PM
I'd go with plasma rifle. I dont think it's too small for a rifle. I've been wondering about DA and their supposed affinity for plasma weapons. It would make DA "unique". Possibly their plasma gets either twin linked or avoid's "gets hot". If Blood Angels can have fast rhino while no one else does, then I can see DA getting no get hot plasma or twin linked.

Plus a plasma pistol isn't new, every imperial army it seems can get one. Melta pistols were in the WH codex before it got hit with the nerf bat, so they aren't new.

Or the picture could just be a picture, and mean absolutely nothing.

lattd
05-28-2012, 02:02 AM
I wasn't meaning a single plasma pistol is new maybe a dual shot or twin linked one though.

MajorWesJanson
05-28-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm guessing the old plasma blaster is coming back- a twin linked plasma gun. Maybe a few other plasma options for DA, like the Predator Executioner, maybe plasma cannon heavy weapons for Terminators, landspeeders, Attack Bikes.

Can we stop calling it a mystery picture now? It's a Dark Angel marine, either a captain or Azrael.

miteyheroes
05-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Can we stop calling it a mystery picture now? It's a Dark Eldar marine, either a captain or Azrael.

A Dark Eldar marine would be quite a mystery!

MajorWesJanson
05-28-2012, 12:30 PM
A Dark Eldar marine would be quite a mystery!

Yes, yes it would. too much discussion of Dark Eldar in other threads. Plus, I always mix those two up. Dark Eldar, Dark Angel. Quite close.

miteyheroes
05-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Yes, yes it would. too much discussion of Dark Eldar in other threads. Plus, I always mix those two up. Dark Eldar, Dark Angel. Quite close.

On the other hand, if the 6th Ed rumours that Ultramarines are close allies of the Tau and Blood Angels are best buddies with the Necrons are true, maybe the Dark Angels should get friendly with the Dark Eldar... It'd make as much sense as anything. Using the webway to hunt the Fallen?

Dlatrex
05-29-2012, 09:37 AM
After using my photoshoop-fu i've fixed the image up a little so it gives a better assembly then my previous photo did.

Awesome work Madman! My only recommendation (and this certainly can be done user-end) would be to stretch it maybe 28-30% along X axis. I suspect that the original art was 'skinnyfied' to fit the aspect ratio that 12 WD spines will eventually make up. Makes the DA look more like a basket ball player :D

Marius
05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
well... is clearly Azrael I think, now lets see if the real reason for this picture is new dex for the Dark Angels... I hope...

DrBored
05-31-2012, 03:27 PM
People keep saying Azreal, but are there any other pictures or references of this mysterious guy? If we're going off of some book description.. well, those can be interpreted by artists in a large variety of ways. How do we know it's not some new character, or some generic guy?

Lind99009
05-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Well, without seeing the other side of this guy, or the Jawa with the Lion Helm, it is hard to tell if it is Azreal. It is not, however, a Librarian (no hood), a member of the Ravenwing (Armour is not black, and no bike), or a member of the Deathwing (no Terminator armour or Pale Bone Armour colouring), and is (due to Armour colour and style) clearly not a Dark Angels succesor. Which makes it, by process of elimination, either a generic Captain or Azreal. Given GW penchant for going big and epic, I am putting my money on Azreal over a generic Captain. It could be a new guy though.

Lind99009
05-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Also, it does look like the old art of Azreal, but then again, all Marines look the same to an Eldar player like me:).

AnEnemy
05-31-2012, 09:20 PM
His name is Al and he maintains the Chapter's footware.

Dalleron
06-01-2012, 12:21 AM
If the image is Azrael, then he is shown without the helm jawa ( kudos to Lind), and he is wielding something different than his combi bolter. Now future change to his rules and wargear notwithstanding, I think it's a captain of some sort showing off a new weapon for the Dark Angels.

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
06-01-2012, 12:34 AM
I think the Affinity with Plasma guns came from when the Dark Angel Tactical Squad, from years ago had a Metal Plasma Cannon, a Metal Dark Angel Sergeant with plasma gun and a Plama gun totting guy (last one may or may not have been metal)... So yeah.

Fluff seems to suggest Mortis dreads and long range firepower is their love :L

Denzark
06-01-2012, 03:24 AM

Looks like a serious case of the old RT 1st Ed mutations table - in this case, moronic pinhead. Clearly a Chaos Marine.

ctrich77
06-02-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't get why people say blood angels are allies with the necrons they teamed up once when they were fighting each other and the nids attacked the planet system they were on. Doesn't really seem like friends to me. The picture of the Dark Angel seems to be a generic Captain to me Maybe a new guy but not Az he is always seen with his jawa and helm so thinking it isnt him.

Medium
06-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Has anyone else noted that in the New Zealand/Australia June issue the spine is a repeat of the May one? Bit of a muck up that! Not sure how they can recover this. Probably best if every issue from now is one month delayed so that we don't end up with a gap. A bit of shame for those that have collected 6 issues.

Necron2.0
06-03-2012, 05:56 PM
As I pointed out a month and a half ago (i.e. two spines ago), the dude is whoever is on the current cover the Dark Angels Codex:

... at this point there can be little doubt that the figure emerging on the WD spines is in fact a Dark Angel. Compare the the emerging backpack "Stabilizer Jet" (that's what several sources refer to it as) on the spine image with the image on the cover of the current DA Codex:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1240060_60030101009_DarkAngelscodexmain_873x627.j pg

Edit: Looking at it again, that "skeletal finger/arrow" thingy is clearly the handle of a sword, the same as on the cover.

MajorWesJanson
06-03-2012, 08:16 PM
As I pointed out a month and a half ago (i.e. two spines ago), the dude is whoever is on the current cover the Dark Angels Codex:

Except for the different gun, chestplate, and the fact that WD-DA is bareheaded, unlike the Cover DA chaplain.

Kawauso
06-04-2012, 01:01 AM
This is just a though, but what if that gun the guy on the WD spines has is something new that the next DA codex gets?

What if they get access to plasma blasters?
It's an IA weapon...I don't have any of the books, but I noticed it in Army Builder because Contemptor Dreadnoughts have access to them in place of storm bolters/heavy flamers.

18" S7 AP2 Assault 2, Gets Hot!

MarneusCalgar
06-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Maybe when we see the second arm... we will unveil the identity

MC Tic Tac
06-04-2012, 07:46 AM
It is the Chaplain character.

In the WD image he has the same dagger like knife on his belt, the codex picture has them too - The baldes of Reason so at the very least he is the Chief Interrogator Chaplain.

Game. Set. Match.

Kaika87
06-04-2012, 01:26 PM
It is the Chaplain character.

In the WD image he has the same dagger like knife on his belt, the codex picture has them too - The baldes of Reason so at the very least he is the Chief Interrogator Chaplain.

Game. Set. Match.

Except the Dark Angel on the WD spine has green armor, not black.

Necron2.0
06-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Except for the different gun, chestplate, and the fact that WD-DA is bareheaded, unlike the Cover DA chaplain.

There are very minor stylistic differences but otherwise it is the self-same character ... obviously.

Wolfrahm
06-07-2012, 02:27 PM
If they are bringing Asmodi back, well, a whole lot of WOOO and a bit of HOOO. If that is who is on the bindings, great. I was not happy when he was not in the latest dex(cough).