PDA

View Full Version : Reviews: New Paint Range

alshrive
04-12-2012, 06:15 AM
So we are nearly a week since the launch of the new Citadel Paint Range and i thought i would actually put something constructive forward, so please attach seatbelts to your ears as i take them for the ride of their lives as i give you my review.

Firstly i want to point out that i have been a "good" hobbyist and have cleaned up and undercoated my models using only citadel products. my Tyranids are red flesh with a purple carapace and to that end i bought the Blood Angels "set" and the Dark Elves "set" to give myself a full selection to try. i also got the snow textured paint to try out as i am doing glacial/ice world bases.

1. Base Paints- very easy smooth coverage and makes basecoating models very very easy. i must say i am just as impressed now as when foundation first came out. i can't wait to try a few more of these out (especially the lighter colours to see if the coverage is the same across the range).

2. Shade- like the old washes, good coverage and dries at a reasonable rate. Seems to pool better in recesses and shades better overall.

3. Layer Paints- to be honest i personally couldn't tell much difference between these and the old citadel paints. i used 2 of them on the flesh of my gaunts. i must say the inclusion of more colours has negated the need for me to mix paint on my gaunts (which is a time saver when i am painting a horde).

4. Dry Compounds- now these are unusual. i am very impresed with them overall. you really don't waste much at all beause the brush just doesn't pick much up. a quick wipe on tissue and away you go!

5. Glazes- ok at this stage i was looking at my gaunt and thinking it didn't look too brilliant (it just looked drybrushed- a look i am not a huge fan of if i am honest). However once i glazed the flesh with red it really did bring the model together and i must say i am very impressed with these.

6. Textured Paints- i haven't got around to trying this out yet but as soon as i do i will include them.

please note that this article is not completed yet (i am currently rushing to finish this on my lunch break at work) and i will update it, hopefully frequently, over the next week or so.

If you have any questions or comments in the meantime. don't hesitate to post.

ALShrive

DrLove42
04-12-2012, 07:07 AM
I haven't used many of them...but comments on the ones i have.....

1) Ceramite White Base - Brilliant. Solid white over black base in 2 coats? Simply brilliant

2) Yellow Layer - Can't remember the name. Again brilliant. Gives better coverage than the old yellow. Match up with Ceramite white and get solid brilliant yellow in 1 coat of each.

3) Texture Paints - Astrogranite (?). This i'm not so sure on. I wanted to use it to base a few models I hadn't sanded before painting. Usually I sand, spray black, Adeptus Battlegray, dry brush codex grey and white. I used this...and i'm not too impressed. You have to layer it on very thick to have any noticable effect on surface and its not very textured. Maybe you need to shape it more than just painting it, or the bases i chose wheren't the best (it was kroot hounds, so lots of legs getting in the way). I've got a pot of it, so i'll try again, but i think i'll stick with sand and paint for bases. I can see it being far more useful for putting mud on tracks and stuff more than full bases

I also got the new How to Paint book. I haven't used the DVD yet, but i'm generally impressed by the quality of the book. Lots of good advice on each of the paints and stages, then 8 different armies from all 3 games and painting schemes for them.

eldargal
04-12-2012, 07:35 AM
I think the texture paints will be most useful for texturing surfaces on terrain and such rather than basing.

Bases: Brilliant, better than the old foundation paints. Ceramite White in particular.

Shades: Like the old washes, except more of them and perhaps a little better.

Layers: Same as the old colours, except more of them and still the same consistent high quality paint.

Glazes: These are great too, really good for tinting metallics as the WD demonstrated.

Dry: Really good once you get the idea, I've seen people diluting them or trying to use them like regular colour paints and all sorts of things.

Really impressed, all in all.

UltramarineFan
04-12-2012, 08:01 AM
As regards Nuln Oil, anyone else found it has a brown tint to it rather than just black like the old Badab Black? Maybe it was just the batch that my local store received for people to try out.
Texture paints to me seem to be good for creating mud effects and weathering on vehicles but maybe also basing for LoTR models? They have a slightly smaller scale after all so perhaps it works better?
Also have the How to Paint Citadel Miniatures Book and have to agree it is a good, useful, high quality resource :)

alshrive
04-12-2012, 08:27 AM
i have been hearing an awful lot of praise for this Ceramite White, i have had no reason to buy it as i simply do not use white that often at all however i now feel like i should get it just to try! damn you all! does anybody actually have a list of what armies/model are covered in the new how to paint guide- i am intrigued by it but just can't quite bring myself to buy it.

i am definitely going to play around with the textures after what has been mentioned- has anybody had any particular inspiration or brainwaves about using them in an innovative way?!?! I must say that i am finding the change in paints actually very refreshing- even down to the fact that i actually like the pots now- even though the re-design is relatively minor!

ALShrive

DrLove42
04-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Even if you don't use White, Ceramite is great to base light based colours off of....yellows, light blues, oranges, pinks etc have a hard time covering black. And so rather than buying a base for each of them, the white can act as it for a lot of them

Off the top of my head (still at work)...the book features a marine, a beastman and gandalf and goes through all the stages of painting (base, shade, drybrush and layer), which is more for demonstrating each paint. It then has a step by step more dedicated guide for a bunch of models (a few marines, an ork ... a few other bits.)

Then it comes to the army projects - For instance theres a Nid one. It shows step by step paint for a gaunt. And then has info on how to apply that to larger models....a trygon, some Warriors and details on each of these models unique details.

The army projects are....Nids, a Gondor army, A Dark Eldar....um....think theres an empire army? And a green Marine army (who aren't Dark Angels). I'll complete the list when I get home...

miteyheroes
04-12-2012, 09:12 AM
I've always found getting a good gold cover over a black basecoat really hard. But Balthasar Gold? Wonderous. 2 coats for perfect coverage.

So yeah, I can see Balthasar Gold, Screaming Bell and Averland Sunset being the most immediately useful to veteran hobby folk.

For people entering the hobby? The whole range is great, and the new tutorials are ace.

odinsgrandson
04-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I've always found getting a good gold cover over a black basecoat really hard. But Balthasar Gold? Wonderous. 2 coats for perfect coverage.

So yeah, I can see Balthasar Gold, Screaming Bell and Averland Sunset being the most immediately useful to veteran hobby folk.

For people entering the hobby? The whole range is great, and the new tutorials are ace.

I don't know- I haven't had any problem getting P3, Vallejo or Reaper metallic paints to coat over a black undercoat- especially if you add in just a hint of brown ink to the mix. The same is true of the P3 Morrow White- the coverage is terrific and it is cheaper too.

The way they're pitching their range, it seems to try to appeal to new painters or people who don't want to mix paints, and that really isn't ever going to be me.

That irks me, even though I know there are probably some decent paints in their line. But then again, I end up using fewer Citadel paints every time they revamp their paint line.

DrLove42
04-12-2012, 11:20 AM
The option to mix paints is still there. But with a full line up, theres a good chance you won't need to. Or if you want that specific colour its much easier to find or reach through mixing

The difference tween GW and Valejo (which i've never used any of) is i can walk down the road (not right now, theres hail the size of golfballs out there) to GW and buy a pot, any pot I want. If i want Valejo I have to go online, order it, then wait a week for the order to be delivered.

EDIT - The update is promised. Everything thats in the book;

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/drlove42/2012-04-12182150.jpg

miteyheroes
04-12-2012, 12:43 PM
I don't know- I haven't had any problem getting P3, Vallejo or Reaper metallic paints to coat over a black undercoat- especially if you add in just a hint of brown ink to the mix. The same is true of the P3 Morrow White- the coverage is terrific and it is cheaper too.

True. But no shops in Oxford sell P3, Vallejo or Reaper. That I've seen.

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I like the Astrogranite texture paint myself, you have to be liberal with it though - but I found it fun to shape and sculpt onto the bases. Great for people like me who normally hate basing figures.

the yellows I've been using are a huge improvement. Always hated GW's yellows before, as they usually looked blotchy and ugly on anything other than white I found.

Love the new compound paints, been using them on my film props and puppets - and they are great.

Havent used the washes yet though, still unsure which would be the best one to use on a bright bone colour.

inquisitorsog
04-12-2012, 01:12 PM
the yellows I've been using are a huge improvement. Always hated GW's yellows before, as they usually looked blotchy and ugly on anything other than white I found.

There's ONE yellow from Vallejo that I like, even over tau sept ochre. Every other one I've tried from any other manufacture feels like if you overload the brush at all, you're gonna have blotches and streaks.
Old GW, P3, Polly Scale, etc, all just don't suit my painting style (which varies between meticulous and slapping paint on quickly).

Now, I've got options. Even the base yellow is fine by itself if you're only doing 3-color quickies.

That said, I'm wondering if combinations of glaze and wash over white or other bases isn't just the right answer period. I've been liking just doing washes over lighter bases for cloth/leather of late.

alshrive
04-13-2012, 02:02 AM
just a quick thankyou to DrLove42 from me, that update has made my mind up- i will be purchasing the book! I am sure GW would like express their gratitude too, for convincing me to give them yet more of my monies :p

ALShrive

isotope99
04-13-2012, 03:57 AM
Didn't see this mentioned but the new pots seem to have redesigned the bit on the back to hold the lid open. Time will tell if it really works, I haven't done enough painting yet to be sure.

alshrive
04-13-2012, 04:41 AM
so far i am quite impressed with the somewhat minor redesign! i also love the fact that they are actually sealed properly when you purchase them and you have to break the seal so you know you are getting unopened paints! that's sad, but that's just me!

Kawauso
04-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Well I just got a package today containing a handful of new brushes and paints I ordered.

I have to say I'm very thoroughly impressed from my small sample.

The Nuln Oil shade goes on even better than the Badab Black wash did - seems like the same shade, but it doesn't appear to pool in 'stains' as easily; it goes on more evenly and fills the recesses a bit better. The end result looks identical as far as I can tell - just cleaner.

Also, texture + drybrush paints...how I wish they had these sooner.
If I weren't so far along with my Necron army I'd want to base them all this way...
I got the Astrogranit texture and Longbeard Grey dry paint and tested them out on a couple Marine models. Wow...it's quick, dead easy and it looks great. I may touch up the bases just a bit more but for getting them done quickly to a decent level, I don't think anything beats this. So much better than using sand/dirt and PVA glue. I'm probably going to go back and re-base any army that's not too far along using this method. It's seriously awesome.

Aldramelech
04-14-2012, 01:57 AM
The new "Devlan mud" is crap, so crap in fact that I've been on the internet buying up pots of the old stuff, as many as I can get.

Kawauso
04-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Care to elaborate?

sneakyben
04-14-2012, 12:03 PM
The new "Devlan mud" is crap, so crap in fact that I've been on the internet buying up pots of the old stuff, as many as I can get.

Your 1 internet opinion is now counteracted by MY 1 internet opinion ;)

IMO Agrax wattsitshade is very good... same colour as the devlin mud but goes on apparent better and requires less 'teasing' to get coverages into all the nooks etc

Bear in mind that I finished my pot of devlin mud wednesday and started with the other wash yesterday, so the comparison i make is at least based on recent experience

Kevlarshark
04-14-2012, 01:46 PM
I haven't been so impressed with the shades... they go on fine and creep into the recesses well but they seem to be made from more than one pigment and the colours separate a bit as they dry.

Warning to all Drakenhof Nighshade is not blue...it looks blue on the tub but separates into grey on the raised surfaces and the blue pigments pool in the recesses into black.

It is in no way a comparable colour to Asurmen Blue

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1334372193/med_gallery_17264_7137_822059.jpg

I will post more when they dry out completely. There are definitely several colours bleeding out of the nightshade.

vulkan_tu'shaun
04-14-2012, 05:28 PM
im sorry guys i have to disagree, the new paints IMO are horrid, i mean sure theres a couple that are ok like the drys and some washes but the actual colours!:mad: making them army specific on a few of them is just nuts, generic colours were better, if you had to mix and you needed loads then old paint pots were perfect for making batches of colour! the basing paints as well im not a fan of, they just look tacky to me... bring back pva and stick what you want on it! lol :D

the new colours screwed me over with my salies as i have just got them to the right shade of green i want and now i can get the paints i need and the new ones dont give me the right colour! i bulk bought the colours i wanted before the new paints and when they are gone, so are my plans for a full chapter. :(:mad:

the only one i liked really was the boltgun metal style drybrush paint....

sorry rant over lol

Kawauso
04-14-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure what your point is on the mixing...there are more colours now, and nothing to keep you from mixing, so shouldn't that be easier and equal more variety???

As for specific shades/hues, I'm a little worried about that, myself...but worst comes to worst I'll have to mix some of the new paints to equate the old ones. Still, with all the variety of the new range I'm not sure I'll have to. I've got so many old paints though, I dunno that I'll run out of them any time soon (apart from washes).

As for the basing paints/textures...nothing stopping you from continuing to use pva and gluing stuff on. :P Personally I always found that a huge pain as it takes hours to make a good looking base and you always have sand and flock coming off...I'm going to be going with texture paints as much as possible from now on, with maybe some bits of rock or static grass here and there. To each their own. :) The important thing, I think, is that there are more options available to people now.

Agatheron
04-15-2012, 10:50 PM
I tried Mephiston Red through my airbrush today. Thins really well, covers really well. Here's how it looks on Dreadfleet's Heldenhammer without any additional washes or other colours:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Agatheron/Dreadfleet/6fab4ff7.jpg

Nice bright base red as a good starting point for this paint job. I'm going to wash the hull with Carroburg Crimson, and then I'll debate what to do next with the hull and sails.

alshrive
04-16-2012, 05:03 AM
glad somebody has put something about airbrushing with them! i have been pondering it and now i know it works i am going to delve right in! speed painting Tyranids- here we go!

ALShrive

ragnarcissist
04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
ceramite white- best addition

Agatheron
04-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Quick update with new pictures. After spraying the above, I then washed it with the Carroburg Crimson Shade last night using the Wash Brush. Here's how it looked after that:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Agatheron/Dreadfleet/d12eb0eb.jpg

As you can see it darkened things down a bit, but it did bring out the shaded areas very nicely.

After it had dried, I then airbrushed Evil Suns Scarlet, which is a "Layer" paint. Its more translucent, and I don't recommend spraying any of the Layer paints over black as they're not intended for that. What really impressed me was how it brightened up the paint, while still keeping the shadows created by the previous wash layer.

This isn't the best picture, as the balances are somewhat borked on the ship's hull:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Agatheron/Dreadfleet/d79ad721.jpg

The next step was to do the last airbrush highlight using Wild Rider Red. Don't let the colour name fool you, it is clearly into the orange range, but named as such as it works well as a highlight colour on red.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Agatheron/Dreadfleet/df4c0ffa.jpg

The darker looking sail on the right is simply shadow from how I angled the light.

From here on in, it will all be brush painted, including edge highlighting on parts of the hull and sails. I'll post those when I can. I will be using the Wild Rider Red for that step.