PDA

View Full Version : Defeating the smug, boastful, overconfident, arrogant.....

addamsfamily36
04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Ok so first off a little about myself. (also this is a long post be warned)

Addamsfamily stats:

40k and Fantasy player
40k armies - Blood angels, Eldar, Necrons
Collecting and been playing for 15+ years
Loses 9 times out of 10
Likes being on the backfoot/the underdog in most games.

Right so to the title of my thread. As a player who loses a lot and i mean A LOT :D, i often find myself playing against the odds or from desperate situations (such as holding 0 objectives when my opponent holds 3). Now this isn;t necessarily down to me being an awful player (although it partially is) it is also down to me playing armies that are based upon themes or cool looking models that are not necessarily very competitive let alone workable as a cohesive force. Be that as it may be i have fun and love a competitive but friendly game. Now, Have you ever come across a cocky player who bigs himself and his army up so much before the game has even begun its like he has already won? I'm pretty sure we all know someone and if you don't...(its probably you:p).

Now there is One guy at my local store who has always been like it and it just puts a smile on my face. Mainly because i love the challenge of trying to win when even i know i'm doomed, but also because i have gotten used to him and his ways so i don't find it so bad when he's bigging himself up. I have however recently moved to a new location temporarily and decided to have a game down at the local store on game night. my opponent (never met before) was in an instant bragging and boasting. within minutes i have been notified by my opponent that i will be playing his "Tournament chaos" list :eek:. i am duly asked what army i play so i respond blood angels (mainly because they are not in bits/half painted like my eldar and necrons). Unpacking and as the "new guy" there is a fair amount of attention on my army. one regular asks me "is that mephiston?" as he points to a conversion of mine. Now i do normally run mephistion (always have done not just due to his current stats) but i was wanting to test out the sanguinor (to compare surviveability compared to mephiston at different point sized games). Anyways, i said no im using the sanguinor today to which my opponent responded "thats a shame, my lord and mephiston would have a good show down. my chaos lord can take the sanguinor easily".

Such comments continued during my set up including to name a few "is that all of your 2000points?" "lemartes? bit expensive isn't he?"

I continued to set up with slight smile on my lips partially because im a happy sort of guy but also because inside i'm thinking "I AM GOING TO DESTROY YOU!!!!!!" even though from track record i knew the odds were against me :(.

And so the game began with me secretly wanting to put this guy in his place and wipe the smug look off his face.

Result - tabled by turn 4..........

BLOOD ANGEL VICTORY!!

I was ecstatic, but had to fight the urge to gloat as that would be becoming the epitiamy of what i had just played against. So this was my tale of "Defeating the smug, boastful, overconfident, arrogant....."

Whats are yours? does anyone have a similar story? Maybe a victory or loss that was extra special due to your opponent?

Levitas
04-11-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm cheering for you man! with my kermit the frog type arm waving! :D

Fortunately my local area is lacking that kind of personality, I try to avoid them. Its a couple of hours playing toy soldiers, dont have time to deal with childish crap like that.

Demonus
04-11-2012, 10:24 AM
LOL reminds me of this comic:

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/01/24

I love beating the smug *******. 40k is about having fun, with your mates, or random people youve never met. a little trash talking is fine, especially amongst friends, but some people are just...well dicks.

addamsfamily36
04-11-2012, 10:27 AM
this was me after i left the store:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4KQbDaCfM

addamsfamily36
04-11-2012, 10:36 AM
LOL reminds me of this comic:

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/01/24

I love beating the smug *******. 40k is about having fun, with your mates, or random people youve never met. a little trash talking is fine, especially amongst friends, but some people are just...well dicks.

LOL pretty much (apart from packing up and calling it game) but i did enjoy that comic.

totally agree, trash talk amongst mates is expected and i'd be disappointed without it.

inquisitorsog
04-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Anyways, i said no im using the sanguinor today to which my opponent responded "thats a shame, my lord and mephiston would have a good show down. my chaos lord can take the sanguinor easily".

Well, that's all you really need to know about the guy.

"Good showdown" and "take easily" don't go together.

A good showdown is a knock down, drag out fight that stretches on. It's not easy. It's not quick. And the outcome is not guaranteed. Someone who thinks that a showdown is easy plays in god mode in too many video games.

warpcrafter
04-11-2012, 11:04 AM
I too have a pretty dismal record, because I used to do things like show up with 5,000 points of Orks and 6 totally different lists, then after my opponent has made his list, I roll a D6 to see what list I'm using. Once in a while it totally ruled because it was such a weird list that my opponent didn't know how to deal with it, but because I usually play at a store where there are a lot of WAAC's, I get beat a lot. I've found that the most hurtful thing you can do to one of those jerks is not only to be a gracious loser, but don't encourage them after they've wiped your army off of the table by participating in a point by point critique of every little thing you did that contributed to your loss in their opinion. They might claim that they're trying to make you a better player, but they're really just fluffing their own ego. I usually just sort of concentrate on putting away my army, and if they start, just kinda go yeah, yeah, uh-huh in an obviously distracted manner until they take the hint. It kills their post-victory afterglow every time.

addamsfamily36
04-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I too have a pretty dismal record, because I used to do things like show up with 5,000 points of Orks and 6 totally different lists, then after my opponent has made his list, I roll a D6 to see what list I'm using. Once in a while it totally ruled because it was such a weird list that my opponent didn't know how to deal with it, but because I usually play at a store where there are a lot of WAAC's, I get beat a lot. I've found that the most hurtful thing you can do to one of those jerks is not only to be a gracious loser, but don't encourage them after they've wiped your army off of the table by participating in a point by point critique of every little thing you did that contributed to your loss in their opinion. They might claim that they're trying to make you a better player, but they're really just fluffing their own ego. I usually just sort of concentrate on putting away my army, and if they start, just kinda go yeah, yeah, uh-huh in an obviously distracted manner until they take the hint. It kills their post-victory afterglow every time.

I had a guy go to me "your still using your beastmen? didn't i destroy that army with both my high elves and skaven?"

To which i responded "yeah still using the beastmen the army that beat your high elves and as of yet is the only army to make your skaven break in combat. (even though i lost)"

To which he mumbled something and walked away. That's probably as defensive as i have ever gotten before whilst at my local store.

Uncle Nutsy
04-12-2012, 05:55 PM
the smug, arrogant guy (that guy) was playing IG, I was playing orks. in a tournament.

I simply hid my units behind cover and sat there, because I knew it would force him into coming towards me to kill a single model. This went on for two turns and ended with him rage-quitting.

DarkLink
04-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I was playing orks. in a tournament.

You say that as if orks don't do well in tournaments.

Uncle Nutsy
04-12-2012, 08:42 PM
never said that.

and by 'played' I mean they're now retired. It was fun moving a bunch of boyz about but at the same time, that many models at once got to be a bit of a chore to move.