PDA

View Full Version : Empire BSB question

Wildeybeast
04-07-2012, 01:04 PM
So, just doing my new army list and something has just occured to me. There doesn't seem to be any restriction on the non-magical equipment that I can give my BSB. I've checked his unit entry and the rule book and I can't find anywhere any rule about the standard requiring an extra hand to use. So on that basis am I correct in thinking I can arm my BSB with an additional hand weapon, shield or great weapon?

Diagnosis Ninja
04-07-2012, 01:11 PM
I'd check the recent books to see if they're the same. The Beastmen book is the same, with no restriction, and the FAQ doesn't mention anything, so unless it's in the 8th BRB then I'd say go for it. Be ready to explain it to other people though, they might not like it.

Chronowraith
04-07-2012, 02:13 PM
That is correct. Just remember that according to the main rulebook you always fight in combat with your "special" weapon. So if you give him an extra hand weapon or great weapon, he can't use the shield in close combat.

It seems a bit odd as you ask yourself, how is he fighting with a banner and a great weapon... the best I can come up with is that he is planting the banner and then fighting nearby to protect it. Neat mental image even if a little impractical.

Wildeybeast
04-07-2012, 05:33 PM
That's the same image I came up with. The explanation for normal standard bearers in the rulebook is that they are better than the rest of the regiment and are capable of fighting with normal equipment, whilst the others seek to protect him and compensate for the banner. Which is why I find it baffling that WE BSB's lose their longbow but can have a magic bow.

cerebros
04-09-2012, 02:05 PM
So on that basis am I correct in thinking I can arm my BSB with an additional hand weapon, shield or great weapon?

Yes. That hasn't beeen a restriction in army books since part way through 7th edition