PDA

View Full Version : 6th edition this year?

Dmikulasr
04-06-2012, 10:25 AM
In the planning stages of KC area's first ever GT. It occured to me that we will probably be getting 6th edition this year. Event is planned for september, whats the likelyhood it will be a 6th ed GT?

DrLove42
04-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Rumours say yes

But obviously its not even slightly announced by GW so its a bit hard to say

Denied
04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I would assume 6th ed will drop this summer as that seems to be GWs trend with previous editions.

Goochman
04-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeay another Edition.....Frack when are they gonna learn?

marandamir
04-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeay another Edition.....Frack when are they gonna learn?

They are a multi-million dollar profitable business. I think they know what they are doing. The question is when are we going to learn :)

Kawauso
04-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Also, no edition is ever really going to be 'perfect'...so it's good that the core game gets injected with fresh 'blood' every now and again.

Though I would prefer less changes to the core rules in favour of a more modular approach, personally *cough*MTG*cough*.

DrBored
04-16-2012, 02:14 AM
Also, no edition is ever really going to be 'perfect'...so it's good that the core game gets injected with fresh 'blood' every now and again.

Though I would prefer less changes to the core rules in favour of a more modular approach, personally *cough*MTG*cough*.

So... cycle out all the Codices by the year and make all current WYSIWYG models outdated with those Codices in order to release new, different, not-necessarily-coherent codices that don't even follow the original storyline?

Wolfshade
04-16-2012, 03:40 AM
So... cycle out all the Codices by the year and make all current WYSIWYG models outdated with those Codices in order to release new, different, not-necessarily-coherent codices that don't even follow the original storyline?
Talking to the studio, making older models outdated (owing to weapon choices) is not something that the team takes lightly, talking at Gamesday they explained how internally the option to take leman russ tanks away from codex space wolves was a choice that wasn't internally popular but was one that they felt was required given the leman russ tank fluff vs. rhino chasis.
Looking back at my collection of miniatures (some dating back to rogue trader) there are none of my models which have illegal weapon combinations.
At stages my death company has been reined in from 30 man, random size, 10 man and now is once again back to 30 man.
My squats are probably the only victims of updates, and with their weapons and armour they can very readily used as counts-as imperial guard

Chuck777
04-16-2012, 04:15 AM
You should keep your con 5th edition based if 6th edition drops in August.

the jeske
04-16-2012, 05:44 AM
Looking back at my collection of miniatures (some dating back to rogue trader) there are none of my models which have illegal weapon combinations.
have you ever had a EC or AL army ?

Wolfshade
04-16-2012, 06:01 AM
EC - Eldar Craftworld? AL??
Though my Harlequins (looks like -> http://www.solegends.com/citrt/harlequins.htm) I have absolutely no idea what some of their weaponry was, so probably exotic and no longer valid

Kawauso
04-16-2012, 08:49 AM
EC - Eldar Craftworld? AL??
Though my Harlequins (looks like -> http://www.solegends.com/citrt/harlequins.htm) I have absolutely no idea what some of their weaponry was, so probably exotic and no longer valid

Looks like a bunch of power weapons, kisses, chainswords, shuriken pistols and a fusion pistol or two - those are all the options they have now.

Wolfshade
04-17-2012, 02:11 AM
Its the weapon that 430602 has got which confuses me, there is also a guy with a webber pistol. But it goes to show that updates don't make that many options illegal...
I think 3rd and 4th did do that, and 5th has brought some of the older options back.
I get the feeling that in 3rd & 4th they wanted things simple to run faster and in 5th they realised you can still have quite complicated units/rules and still have the game run quickly. I hope these streamlining/optimisation continues

Kevlarshark
04-17-2012, 05:40 AM
I still remember having to cut all of the hand flamers and combi weapons of my Commisars and replace the powerfists on my assault marines with chainswords.

have you ever had a EC or AL army ?

Think the jeske means Alpha Legion and Emperors Children...both went from useful competitive and fluffy armies to a bit of a joke with the last Chaos space marine codex.

Alpha legion lost all of their cultists and their sneaky stealth options...so the codex made whole units 'illegal'.

Emperors Children lost their sonic weapons on everything except standard troops..so feel sorry for the guys who had terminators/dreds/predators/lords/defilers with sonics.

Iron warriors lost basilisks as part of a ham fisted backlash because people were howling that IWs ability to choose 4 Heavy support choices was too powerful...

I also feel for the nid players who had their 'mutants' axed and are now stuck with more carnifexes than they can actually field.

Wolfshade
04-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Oh I see, that makes sense now. Also goes some way to explain the internets hate of codex chaos.

I don't feel all that sorry for people with more of a unit type than they can field as many people who collect armies not lists have this anyway. It enables one to have a variety of different options, now if all the units/models are armed the same then that could be frustrating.
Also, don't forget a number of add-ons affect the FoC which could limit the number of slots availble, though these are add-ons and not a core rule change..

el_pablo65
04-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I've heard it is going to be all about flying units.

I play blue book and don't have anything that "flies" other than a drop pod. Drop pod has a very limited trajectory...