PDA

View Full Version : Old Space Wolves Codex Question (drop pods)

Lerra
09-20-2009, 11:42 PM
If someone could verify these questions it would be greatly appreciated. I played a tournament game vs. the old space wolves codex yesterday and the game felt a little . . . fishy. This player has a reputation for being a bit less than honest and I want to make sure I didn't get fleeced.

Do old space wolves get drop pods for free?

Do their drop pods come with the new special rules, such as Drop Pod Assault, Inertial Guidance, the storm bolter, and all that good stuff?

And . . . if SW are running scouts and taking the option to deep strike the whole army, do the scouts have to arrive via drop pod, or may they enter using outflank?

The list I played against ran 10 drop pods at 1500 points. 350 free points worth of drop pods - wow!

RocketRollRebel
09-20-2009, 11:58 PM
yeah they gotta pay for them. They take them from the C:SM drop pod entry I believe thus paying the "x" number of pts that drop pods cost in the SM codex.

PinoyC
09-21-2009, 12:08 AM
NO!...no free anything...how was this overlooked by the tourney organizers?

Also, they do use all the DP rules...it specifically says so in the SW FAQ

Last Q is kind of iffy...it the SW dex states x units can use drop pods, stop...then it it says no other units may be used in the mission...it doesn't actually state that any of these units have to deploy or use DPs.

My interpretation says yes they can OBEL w/ the scouts.

PC

Lord Anubis
09-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Hmmmph. Reminds me of a Necron player I saw once who tried to argue Tomb Spiders let the Resurrection Orb affect the whole board...

Oh, the shame that has befallen the good name of Necrontyr... :D

Lerra
09-21-2009, 01:17 AM
The tournament organizer allowed it because we couldn't find any hard-and-fast rule saying that he had to pay for the drop pods. There is no cost listed in the Space Wolves codex. The FAQ says that he follows the rules for drop pods, which the TO interpreted to mean that they function in the same way on the table, but off the table they are Space Wolf drop pods, which are free.

Yeah . . .

RedScorpionsGirl
09-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I took the exact wording, "coming in as drop pod" to mean they don't have to pay for them either, they simply come in as they would in a drop pod. I recently re-read this and went over it with out TO. And in all effect, they don't tell you directly that you have to pay for them, they give no other reference than "come in as drop pod", and specifically stating what can/can't enter play this way, and you also don't use the model, it states come in AS the pod does. So if they had tanks and pods, they can't read the rule book. The largest that they say can enter play in this manner is a speeder... And you can't drop pod a speeder, so technically, if you arrive via those rules, how it states in the book, you wouldn't have the pods, and you wouldn't use the rules...you would simply arrive in the manner the pods do. That was our TO's interpretation.