PDA

View Full Version : Gate of Infinity Question

Paradox
04-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi,

Quick question regarding 'The Gate of Infinity' psychic power (Space Marines).

Can you perform this during the movement phase if the Librarian (and potentially previously attached unit) are in close combat?

Cheers

Tynskel
04-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Read the rules for Gate of Infinity. I believe it states when it can be used.

Wolfshade
04-05-2012, 05:39 PM
While I usually enjoy Tynskel's pointing out the obvious, Codex Space Marine pp 57 does not specifically mention it. Nor is it in the FAQ.
The question comes down to is GoI a re-deployment (via deepstrike) or a movement.
If it is normal movement then it is disallowed as per movement restrictions while in assault.
If it is deployment well its not clear, the only two other things I can think of is veil of darkness and sky leap and both of those specifically state that they can be used during assault.

Paradox
04-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Based on the other two cited abilities, i'll assume it is disallowed as per standard movement restrictions while locked in assault.

I thought I'd check if there was some subtle element I was missing that would enable this; something which may have made specifically mentioning that 'it could be used while locked in assault' redundant, since it is not specified one way or the other in the GoI description.

Thanks

Tynskel
04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
While I usually enjoy Tynskel's pointing out the obvious, Codex Space Marine pp 57 does not specifically mention it. Nor is it in the FAQ.
The question comes down to is GoI a re-deployment (via deepstrike) or a movement.
If it is normal movement then it is disallowed as per movement restrictions while in assault.
If it is deployment well its not clear, the only two other things I can think of is veil of darkness and sky leap and both of those specifically state that they can be used during assault.

hah. Didn't have the book in front of me.
All the book states is that GoI is done during the beginning of the librarian's movement phase. There is no mention of what 'state' the librarian is in.

Considering the only precedent before this was the 3rd Edition Necron codex (Veil of Darkness), and this codex explicitly states 'locked in combat' (p15), I am inclined to state that the librarian cannot 'whisk' away himself/unit out of combat.

Wolfshade
04-06-2012, 01:43 AM
That's the way I would play it as well,