PDA

View Full Version : Shopping spree winner

Bigred
04-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Everybody give it up for Jerseyboy381!

~I'm just saying that you should have all your friends and fellow gamers register over here, and join up. We *may* do these from time to time *hint-hint*

wittdooley
04-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Everybody give it up for Jerseyboy381!

~I'm just saying that you should have all your friends and fellow gamers register over here, and join up. We *may* do these from time to time *hint-hint*

Please don't if we're going to end up with what happened this time.

The fact that this dude won only speaks more to it. Member since 2009. Exactly 10 posts. All in March.

I understand that more registrations in the lounge mean more traffif mean more clickthroughs/views for your advertisers, but if your goal is to actually build a community within the lounge, this is not the way to do it. If you don't care about the community aspect of the forums well... that's a shame, because I think what we've been able to foster here is one of the better hobby forums I've been a part of on the web.

Please don't ruin that.

bfmusashi
04-05-2012, 09:48 AM
No new blood! BoLS forums for BoLSers! Down with five word posts, poorly thought out ideas, and questionable grammar!
It really wasn't so bad, we didn't have a repeat of that argument about the capacity of an armored transport (I think it was about the Bradley) or the Nemesis Doomfist quagmire.

ElectricPaladin
04-05-2012, 10:55 AM

The fact that this dude won only speaks more to it. Member since 2009. Exactly 10 posts. All in March.

I understand that more registrations in the lounge mean more traffif mean more clickthroughs/views for your advertisers, but if your goal is to actually build a community within the lounge, this is not the way to do it. If you don't care about the community aspect of the forums well... that's a shame, because I think what we've been able to foster here is one of the better hobby forums I've been a part of on the web.

Please don't ruin that.

I gotta tell you, man, maybe he's a new member with exactly 10 posts... but the fact is, these forums have EXPLODED since the contest. I'm happy.

DarkLink
04-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I think that next time, the total number of posts should improve chances of winning;).

phoenix01
04-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Please don't ruin that.
At first I thought you were kidding. Then, I saw that, in fact, you weren't. Talk about spirit of the law versus letter of the law.

Big Red, this was an epic fail of awe-inspiring proportions and the poster child of why contests requiring people to post so many posts in such-and such amount of time is such a bad idea. I hope that you won't be having more of these contests. Or if you do, at least have it that if you are simply a member of the forum you are entered, because at least that is honestly what you appear to want. This only shows us how being the lowest common denominator can indeed make you a winner.

Jerseyboy381, congratulations on winning the contest.

Necron2.0
04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Meh. It is what it is. Life is full of its minor inconveniences. Congratulations to Jerseyboy381. Can't wait till the next chance to get free money.

:rolleyes:

DrLove42
04-05-2012, 11:38 AM
I gotta tell you, man, maybe he's a new member with exactly 10 posts... but the fact is, these forums have EXPLODED since the contest. I'm happy.

Youre right. they exploded during the compeition.. 100s of crap quality posts a day, from people only looking to get their count up

Now its April. And traffic is back down to what it was before, with maybe a marginal increase in posts.

Km not gonna lie i though t the contest was good. But only cos it meant i wasnt checking o. here anywere near as much and was actually doing work for a change

If you want to do a competition make it reward long term loyalty. Or actual hobby skill

Levitas
04-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Contests and prizes are good, but this one just cranked up the spam content and was poorly thought out. GW is a business and so we tolerate their marketing ploys, but a gaming community should be different. Clearly just a push to increase the volume of clicks for sponsors. Thank goodness for ad blockers. :cool:

Most of those new users will now leave until they smell blood in the water again.

Congrats to the winner, but please, no next time unless it's well thought out.

planet psyrum
04-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I jumped on Bols about a couple months before this contest, and I was really impressed with the amount of content and dedicated hobbyists. This contest ramped up the posts for sure, and I liked it. I had a couple posts that had been replied to 20 or more times. It was great to actually start a thread. If yoy get 10% of the new members to continue posting then I think it was worth it.

Congrats to jerseyshore.

I really like this community you have here. I would hate that the reaction to this contest will just drive vets and noobs(myself) farther apart. I mean who else is going to table me and still make the game an enjoyable informative experience, than the vets.

wittdooley
04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I really like this community you have here. I would hate that the reaction to this contest will just drive vets and noobs(myself) farther apart. I mean who else is going to table me and still make the game an enjoyable informative experience, than the vets.

I'm sorry if that's what my initial post indicated; that's not remotely my intent. Folks like you that 'discovered' the forum through the contest, but continue to post and posted thoughtful comments are encouraged. I welcome them with open arms.

I PROBABLY wouldn't have even posted if the winner had 20+ posts or so. But when I saw that he stopped posting EXACTLY at 10...well, I had to chime in.

Please don't mistake those of us with higher post counts as being xenophobic or unwelcoming; contrarily, I think this is the most welcoming 40k community (in particular) on the net. It is so much less unpleasant than some of the other crap shoots. We just want our new posters to be here to add to the community and not to simply enter their name in a drawing.

L192837465
04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm sorry if that's what my initial post indicated; that's not remotely my intent. Folks like you that 'discovered' the forum through the contest, but continue to post and posted thoughtful comments are encouraged. I welcome them with open arms.

I PROBABLY wouldn't have even posted if the winner had 20+ posts or so. But when I saw that he stopped posting EXACTLY at 10...well, I had to chime in.

Please don't mistake those of us with higher post counts as being xenophobic or unwelcoming; contrarily, I think this is the most welcoming 40k community (in particular) on the net. It is so much less unpleasant than some of the other crap shoots. We just want our new posters to be here to add to the community and not to simply enter their name in a drawing.

I tend to agree with the above, but then again, my heart wasn't in it since you had "to be on good terms", and I was banned from the blog.

Congrats, sincerely though! My envy may be blinding my better judgement.

fuzzbuket
04-05-2012, 02:49 PM

Please don't ruin that.

agreed! i love bols because of the sence of community and that everyone knows everyone! if i wanted to go to a fourm filled with strangers and a million threads a day id go to warseer.
-fuzz

Demonus
04-05-2012, 03:08 PM
there was a contest?

KrewL RaiN
04-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Not all of us fall under the category of "only ten posts of two to three word comments" xP.

Anyhow, congrats to the winner.

woodenronin
04-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Congrats!!

ksoh75
04-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I'M CALLING FOR A RE-VOTE!!!!

serious....gratz man!!!

Drunkencorgimaster
04-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Member since 2009. Exactly 10 posts. All in March.

For real??? How embarassing. Not sure whether to laugh or cry. Kind of funny in the end though and I'm glad we got more traffic on the forum.

newtoncain
04-08-2012, 09:04 PM
AMIIRC, Mwhn:confused: