PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush SOS

Culial
04-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Dear BoLS,

Why does my airbrush hate me?

So, I'm trying to get not one, but two armies built and painted by the beginning of July, no small feat considering I've yet to do this for one army, and never one to shy from a challenge decided to start two new armies, based around the Badad war (Lamenters Vs. Raptors).

Now the building is coming on nicely. I have two dreads to magnetise for the Raptors are pretty much ready for paint, the lamenters around 70% built, so I've been thinking of starting to move onto painting, tried out a few colours, shading, etc., but my speed-painting plan revolves around laying down the base colour fast and thus far my airbrush (admittedly little better than the GW spray gun - which I also own, mainly because it looks like a flamethrower) refuses to co-operate!

Exhibit A attached.

Vallejo Air paints (straight from the bottle I might add) are just seemingly far too thin, mixed 2:1 Air to Game colour with a drop or two of Vallejo Airbrush Thinner is splattering all over the place!

I'm using a basic compressor with moisture trap, regulated to 13psi, with a single action brush and have no idea what I'm doing wrong!

Any help would be very greatly appreciated guys, the other 'alf is learning to play 40K so she can take me to Warhammer World for my birthday, I need to have at least basically painted armies to use when we go, without the airbrush I'm simply not going to have the time to do it...
:(

steelmage99
04-01-2012, 04:23 PM
What level of pressure are you using?

Edit. Doh. you answered that!

The first one seems fine to me.

Using an airbrush does make for rather thin layers. Just leave them to dry (very important) and give them another coat.

Using a single-action can also be part of the problem.

Have you tried with both higher and lower pressure, and looked at the effect?

Cherub
04-01-2012, 05:38 PM
first one is good, last one has too much spatter, its pressure is too low/high. the ones on top are all thinned too much and your moving too slow. if your going to thin that much you have to move your hand faster across the model or its going to pool like that.

multiple thin coats. airbrushing in just like using a brush only faster, your not going to be able to do it all in just 1 coat and have it look nice.

faolan
04-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I'd nudge the pressure up slightly, to around 16-18, but that's just me.

Single action is hurting you here, you can't adjust the flow rate on the brush itself.

Are you using a tank, or is this coming straight out of the compressor? And where is your moisture filter at in the line?

Uncle Nutsy
04-01-2012, 07:39 PM
if it's sputtering, then the pressure is too low. run it at about 25 psi. mix it 2:1 paint to thinner. and make sure you're at least three inches away from the work. It will look thin, but that's what you want; to build up the colour.

Emerald Rose Widow
04-01-2012, 08:10 PM
I know with my airbrush that my psi hits 30 on average in the tank but I have an airflow regulator going to control it (though the manometer is broken so I never know the pressure so I go by feel). It sounds like you are having pressure issues, and if you have a single action and thus cannot more finely control how much is coming out and the like, pressure is pretty darned important, hell you might have too much or little paint hitting the airstream. With you saying it was at 13psi I am inclined to believe that your pressure is too low and thus too much paint is coming out, so try and play around with it.

bethor
04-01-2012, 09:11 PM
definately too low. I run 1:1 gw paint to water at about 28psi. The velejo air is a little thinner, but 15 psi is too low (1 atmosphere is 14-15 psi).

Good luck with the speed painting lamenters!

Culial
04-02-2012, 03:20 AM
Wow, thanks for the quick responses!
Unfortunately due to the time difference I was sleeping while you were trying to help me :p

@ faolan:
No tank unfortunately, running right out of the compressor, moisture filter is right on the output, leading into the hose.

I started off running at around 30psi, but I might as well have thrown a bucket of paint over my test model, so based on feedback I'll give it a crack around 15-20 and see how the results change. Also, add more thinner into the mixed paint, think I'll abandon hope on the yellow Air paint as I've already got some of the models primed black that I stole from another project, and as you can see from the pic the two don't get on well...

@ bethor:
well the speed painting shouldn't be too bad for them, base/shade/highlight, same as any other colour, right?
I've used sculpted pads for all the infantry so have a central circle to work the chapter icon onto, build up the checks around that. Now I just need to get the base paint to go on smooth...

Thank you, everyone!
I'll let you know the results.

faolan
04-02-2012, 06:03 AM
@ faolan:
No tank unfortunately, running right out of the compressor, moisture filter is right on the output, leading into the hose.

I started off running at around 30psi, but I might as well have thrown a bucket of paint over my test model, so based on feedback I'll give it a crack around 15-20 and see how the results change. Also, add more thinner into the mixed paint, think I'll abandon hope on the yellow Air paint as I've already got some of the models primed black that I stole from another project, and as you can see from the pic the two don't get on well...

Ok, I spotted some of your problems. Obviously, it works better with a tank, as you have a smoother airflow, that's whats causing some of your sputtering.

On the Model Air paints from Vallejo, you only BARELY thin them down, and again, go over a light grey or white base, it'll help heaps.

If you change where the moisture trap is, you'll get better results too - when the air first comes out of the compressor it's warm, as it travels down the hose, it cools. If you add another hose in between the compressor and the trap, you'll get the air cooled down a bit more before it hits the trap and it'll get rid of more of the moisture.

GRUNDZ
04-02-2012, 09:33 AM
also make sure there is no moisture getting into the brush! I had spatter issues till i picked up a 10$ moisture trap that goes right on the airbrush

Culial
04-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Ooh, where'd you get those from then?
I wonder if there's a UK supplier...

Uncle Nutsy
04-02-2012, 02:08 PM
i forgot to ask: what airbrush and compressor are you running?

Meph
04-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Hmmm some possible causes that I can add that haven't already been said.
-Clogged nozzle or dirty needle?
-Bent needle?
-Paint too thick?

But my money is on the lack of air tank. Running straight from the compressor means your airflow is never stable.

Emerald Rose Widow
04-02-2012, 10:36 PM
I dont use their airbrush paints myself, I just use the vallejo game colour paints and I am good to go.

Culial
04-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi again guys, sorry I've not posted back in a while, work was an absolute nightmare last week! :(

Just a quick catch-up, I've given it another bash tonight, 18psi seems to be my magic number, the Vallejo Air paints (right from the pot this time as a semi-reliable control) air going on smooth and even, no blotching/running/sputtering, looking great! Higher/lower and it's back to the same old problems, so I'll keep the needle right there...

I've been using Light Camo Green right over a black coat for the Raptors, got a Tac squad and 5 sniper Scouts done in around 20mins, not got time for pics tonight, early shifts this week and I need my beauty sleep, I'll try to get some up tomorrow though. I really just wanted to say a big 'thank you' for the advice! :D

So I'm working on the Raptors because they're mostly built, but also because I'm still trying to settle on a yellow for the Lamenters, on that note has anyone given the Vallejo Premium Color a go?
I'm liking the look of Candy Yellow or maybe the Metallic Yellow...anyone tried them out?