PDA

View Full Version : My "first" army

Tetz
09-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey guys, well I posted here showing some pictures of a big mistake I had with my first group of CSMs, but they were also painted with brushes way to big for the models so I got some new brushes and here's my first true painted squad. My biggest issue is the mold lines. I tried to clean them up a bit but as you can tell I obviously either missed that one or didn't do enough.

Let me know your thoughts and obviously ways to improve.

The Skull Champion:
http://www.rawkdesign.com/warhammer/100_1309.jpg

Skull Champion 2:
http://www.rawkdesign.com/warhammer/100_1310.jpg

The squad:
http://www.rawkdesign.com/warhammer/100_1314.jpg

Mike X
09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Looks good to me.

Kieranator K82
09-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Looks good to me.

I totally agree. I see no problems at all. Whatsoever. A lot of people I know don't clean up mould lines so you're completely fine.

Ithmaril
09-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Concerning the mould lines, I can only make out one, and I've had my own share of that "D'Oh!"-moments while painting, especially with Marines. And your Berzerkers really deliver, I like the tones of red and bronze you picked, and that black is the main armour colour. Keep it up!

Hairy Piggy
09-21-2009, 12:25 AM
The red is very nice, how did you get that tone?

Tarrandus
09-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Looks great dude :D Love the Champion's claw.

Hairy Piggy, it looks like a darker red, with a black/red wash. Merchite Red-> Baal Red wash would be my guess.

oni
09-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Cool. I like the mix of the black and the red armour.

Tetz
09-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Looks great dude :D Love the Champion's claw.

Hairy Piggy, it looks like a darker red, with a black/red wash. Merchite Red-> Baal Red wash would be my guess.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated! It's been a great experience painting these miniatures. My wife thought I was nuts when I showed her how tiny these guys are.

As far as the red, I use Vallejo paints so it was:

Prime black > Scab Red > Wash with Charred Brown/Scab Red mix > Highlight with Bloody Red.

Could have used a bit more highlights, but I am so picky about my work I am never 100% happy with it.

HorusReborn
09-22-2009, 07:16 AM
nice work on the reds man. The entire scheme works so well with this, props to you!!1

Denzark
09-22-2009, 10:43 AM
You are absolutely bob on here. The painting I think is vg particularly for first squad. However if you can get the hang of this so easily (lucky b*gger) then no excuse in mould lines - removing them takes far less skill than painting to your abilities!

2 methods - run a sharp bladed craft knife along with the blade angles in a scraping motion (no need to actually trim you run the risk of cutting hunks out) or alternately invest in some decent rat-tailed files and just file along the lines.

Same technique metal or plastic. Glue doesn't go near a model of mine without them gone (although aforementioned posters oops moments do occasionally happen)

person person
12-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Love the colour scheme. Nice red too.

SandWyrm
12-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Very nice. Didn't even notice the mould lines until you said something. So relax. :)

Lykum
12-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Really nice job on the reds. What are you using for the metallics? I am doing my first army right now as well (also Black Legion) and I have been trying out a bunch of different ideas for the bronze. What I ended up liking was a drybrush of bestial brown and dwarven bronze, followed by another drybrush of dwarven bronze, with a light highlight of shining gold. Then I go back and edge around the armor trim with black to clean up the lines.

Brass Scorpion
12-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Cool. Great start.

Tetz
12-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Really nice job on the reds. What are you using for the metallics? I am doing my first army right now as well (also Black Legion) and I have been trying out a bunch of different ideas for the bronze. What I ended up liking was a drybrush of bestial brown and dwarven bronze, followed by another drybrush of dwarven bronze, with a light highlight of shining gold. Then I go back and edge around the armor trim with black to clean up the lines.

I have made a few improvements to my metals since these guys, but the basics remain the same. I prime in black, then I do two light coats of bronze. Then I do a wash of brown (4 drops brown, 4 drops of acrylic thinner, 3 drops water), this gives a nice dark wash that looks great. I then go back and touch up the bronze with a light coat of bronze, and do some highlights with gold, and maybe a bit of silver.