PDA

View Full Version : Proper GK terminator outfit

Roma89q
03-29-2012, 08:34 PM
I plan on using 10 man terminator GK squad in a 1000 point list. Do you think it'll be a lethal, difficult unit to deal with at this level or no? They'll accompany a 10 man GKSS squad and a grenade caddy inq on the battlefield, also a lasraider. The them is to have a small force yet difficult to deal with quickly.

10 Terminators: 3 swords, 4 halberds, 2 hammers, 1 banner, 2 psycannons for nice 475 pts. I think this is the proper outfit?

plawolf
03-29-2012, 09:27 PM
So, you have 10 termies (or 2 x 5 men combat squads) and a land raider with 10 guys hiding in it.

It could work as those are two very hard units to for most armies to deal with at 1k, but you might find yourself not so popular if you play that list.

Also, it is a very risky list to play, especially in objective games.

You will need one unit on each objective in order to try and win. But any good player will see you only have two units and space the objectives accordingly. With the short range of storm bolters and psycannons, your two units are going to be effectively fighting by themselves.

All he has to do is keep one fast unit near your big termie squad so they cannot leave their objective, but far enough that the termies cannot shoot at that unit, and focus the rest of his army on your land raider.

AV14 is good, but if you leave the LR unsupported and a bunch of guys run up to melta it, it will die like everything else. He then throwns 1 sacrificial unit and focus all attacks on the =I=. With anything but really bad luck on his part, that =I= will be dead after 1 turn, and the rest of his army will have no problem dealing with your 10 GKSS.

At the end of the day, if he holds at least two objectives, he wins.

If you really want to keep the 10 termies, fine, but loose the LR and get another 10 GKSS. Maybe some razorbacks for them with psybolts if you can find the points, as you desperately need some ranged fire support and mobility.

Ebon Hand
03-29-2012, 09:58 PM
It will be interesting to play, but remember that your units are tough, but not invincible. Grot pistols can still kill your Terminators!

As for them being difficult to deal with, your opponent will certainly be surprised, but any balanced army should be able to handle them ok. You will especially want to be wary of Dark Eldar players.

Roma89q
03-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Yes, I'll keep them 10 man strong mostly to get the most out of the banner and the Inq with rad grenades. It's just going to be me and a couple of friends (who respectively plays necrons whose focus is tesla and orks that are mostly horde with elements of speed) at first until we hit our local battle bunker. Since it's been a good 6 years since any of us last played (ork player actually a recent convert) warhammer 40k we'll mostly just do annhilation (or just play until we wipe one another out) at first then bring in some of the other mission types.

I def see your point about the objectives style mission though, that would stretch my army quite thin. Really I'm just looking for an interesting list to play, but I also like to win. :D

Would it be a bad idea to have 4 combat squads in a scenario like the objectives? 5 man termies supported by 5 man GKSS and the land raider provides cover as needed. Though I feel that'll just dilute each area and make them easy pickings.

If it comes down to it, i'll bench the lasraider until atleast 1500 pts and bring in another troop or elite. I have a single psyflemen I could bring to the board as well. Maybe I should break out the old metal Coteaz I have, make use of some henchmen to push the numbers up.

Mr.Pickelz
03-29-2012, 11:19 PM
The biggest problem when running a list like this, is facing an extreme shooting or assault army list(s) that can outmaneuver you, and out number you. You really gota becareful with how the terrain is setup and how the objectives are placed, taking to big units like that limits you, and helps your opponent, with a low amount of units to operate (aka, shoot and assault with). in objective games splitting the forces up may be a good idea, because this gives your opponent more things to shoot at and more things for your retaliate with.

fuzzbuket
03-30-2012, 12:37 AM
swap the swords for falchions! and if the LR is a crusader/redeemer buy psybolt/psyflame :D

-fuzz

Serk
03-30-2012, 07:35 AM
I guess the biggest problem with this list is that it can be easily kited by an experienced opponent. Once the LR is immobilized or destroyed, you'll have difficulty to reach your opponent and as tough as terminators may be, with enough wounds on them, they eventually WILL die.

DarkLink
03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Actually, read Way of the Water Warrior on Bolter and Chainsword to learn about how to use Land Raiders in small point games. I would recommend tweaking the list a bit to fit those purposes, though.

Xenos Inquisitor, Grenades, Power Armor, Power Sword
5 GKSS, Psycannon, Hammer,
Razorback, Las/TL Plas, Searchlights
6 GKSS, Psycannon, Hammer
5 Terminators, 1 Hammer, 1 Psycannon, 4 Halberds
Land Raider, Extra Armor, Multi-melta

You'll find that most opponents will actually probably come to you, for reasons that are kinda complex. You'll be kiting them for the most part, taking potshots. When the time comes, counter assault.

This is kinda like the list I played for years before the new GK codex came out. I know more about how this sort of thing plays than anything else in the new codex.

Roma89q
03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Actually, read Way of the Water Warrior on Bolter and Chainsword to learn about how to use Land Raiders in small point games. I would recommend tweaking the list a bit to fit those purposes, though.

Xenos Inquisitor, Grenades, Power Armor, Power Sword
5 GKSS, Psycannon, Hammer,
6 GKSS, Psycannon, Hammer
5 Terminators, 1 Hammer, 1 Psycannon, 4 Halberds
Land Raider, Extra Armor, Multi-melta

You'll find that most opponents will actually probably come to you, for reasons that are kinda complex. You'll be kiting them for the most part, taking potshots. When the time comes, counter assault.

This is kinda like the list I played for years before the new GK codex came out. I know more about how this sort of thing plays than anything else in the new codex.

Interesting list. It probably wouldn't cost me much more than my other one that you've responded to DarkLink, atleast I think you responded to it (coteaz, henchmen, gkss, paladins, lasraider). I will definitely read that, I've heard about way of the water but havent actually read it. I have a few rhinos laying around unbuilt, I'll just need to track down some razorback turrets/hatch bits. Do you feel the extra armor is needed, since it'll mostly be covered by fortitude?

DarkLink
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
On Land Raiders, Extra Armor is a must. You've invested too many points into something to let it be stopped just because your opponent has a psychic hood and managed to glance it.

On Rhinos and Razorbacks, though, you're right, not worth it.

herpguy
03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Honestly, I don't have a grey knight army, but in my many battles against them, I find that power armor armies definitely suffer from paladins with a mixture of halberds, falchions, and definitely at least 1 hammer. With this, you can get quite a few attacks in before anything else, get a bunch more solid strikes in, then have that hammer to bash in vehicles, monstrous creatures, and that poor independent character without eternal warrior.

Roma89q
03-30-2012, 01:59 PM
I have a question about the razorbacks. Would you say the las/plas razorback is superior over the assault cannon/psybolt version? What I mean is the las/plas would be longer range, higher ap, and counts as two weapons for the sake of weapon destroyed so it's more durable. Yet the assault cannon/psybolt version brings good firepower at a medium range but the chance to hurt anything with its rending obviously. So really, would the range be more useful for a list like that or would the extra twin-linked "psycannons"?