PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk Brother Zael (TDW)

Cursed13
03-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Another one of my "quick and dirty" commissions that went along with Chaplain Lemartes and Brother Leon I've already posted here. Zael was a nuisance to paint with how much scrollage he has, but I still had fun painting him up. Here's a few extra shots that didn't make it to the blog as well as the ones that did.

Cursed13
03-29-2012, 04:34 PM

faolan
03-29-2012, 07:16 PM
How do you do the 'text' on the scroll? That's one thing that always screws me up, severely.

papa smurf
03-29-2012, 07:31 PM
I like the blood dripping off the powerfist. Did you add that on or is that come on the model standard?

fuzzbuket
03-30-2012, 12:38 AM
I like the blood dripping off the powerfist. Did you add that on or is that come on the model standard?

its not meant to be there but its a common mold problem with SH, mine had this too !

nice mini!

-fuzz

Cursed13
03-30-2012, 03:31 AM
How do you do the 'text' on the scroll? That's one thing that always screws me up, severely.

The scroll text is actually extremely simple. Think of when you type a lot of text, like in an essay, and you look at the sheet of text that you wrote. You'll notice that the words form neat little blocks with spaces between them. To recreate this, simply take a thin brush with a little bit of paint in it and dot it. Cluster these dots together like the text you've observed already and add noticeable spaces between them. To get the best results, use a short haired brush that's wet, dip into the paint (I usually use Chaos Black), then place the flat side of the brush onto someplace and roll the brush to remove the excess paint. The less paint on the brush, the less it will blob and splotch.
Sometimes I'm not careful and a huge blob of watery paint will still be in the brush and will bleed all over the scrollwork. Learning how to get the right amount of paint onto the brush is the key to this trick and the hardest part to learn; you want just enough of watered down paint in the brush to easily release from the brush but not so much that you lose that fine, small text look. Dotting on the text is the easy part, and I can text up all the scrollage on the jump pack Chaplain in about 5 - 10 minutes. I use this trick even for lightning effects, as I feel that dots look better than streaky lines. Simple technique, difficult to master, I hope it serves you well!

That's actually a piece of the model, it's a small blood drop trinket that's attached to a ring around the power fist.