PDA

View Full Version : Has the Spiky Bits Comp Killed the Community on here?

DrLove42
03-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Posting this in here, cos this is where the BOLS diehards live, and is mostly free from the spam monkeys

A few months ago the forum was a lot quieter.

But it wasn't dead, jsut a slow simmer. But it was a community. Pretty much, you knew everyone, could talk to them and give useful advice. The topics were useful and not spammy repeats of each other.

I kid you not in the last few days the intelligence of some of the posts has been getting lower (insert comment about the quality of this thread here). Someone asked if Vehicles could move and fire heavy weapons. Read the Sodding rule book before posting!

Now whereas I used to read everything on BOLs because it was probably interesting, I take a cursory glance at the news section, wade through the spam of people asking the same questions and putting things in the wrong place and see if theres anything new. Then I look at painting quickly, then in here. The forum has become a spam hole with no sense of what I enjoyed before with a community of sensible people who could talk away from the like of Warseer and Dakka.

I understand why (hits means adverts means money) its been done, and I surel;y hope when March ticks out in a week it goes back to what it once was.

SotonShades
03-26-2012, 10:05 AM
You might just have a point.

On the other hand, my fingers are different. But an alternative point of view is that I get to feel smart by answering questions in the rules forum without having to looking things up to confirm I'm right first.

It's deffinitely no bad thing for the community to be growing (I believe the good doctor himself was the first to post on a fairly recent milestone (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=16660)) and not to sound like an elitest snob, but it was growing with the 'right' people. To make a little more sense of that comment, it was people who cared about the hobby and, for the most part, were fairly grown up about it. A good proportion of the posts from members who have joined this month have been of a lesser calibre.

Then again, it is as much their hobby as it is any of ours and we were all n00bs once-upon-a-yesteryear. Maybe I should get off my high horse, encourage and help to mold this new intake? Well, if any of them stick around after the competition closes...

eldargal
03-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't think so. When the competition ends msot of them will dissapear but hopefully some will remain to contribute more to the community in the long run.

energongoodie
03-26-2012, 10:25 AM
I agree that the increase of posts has caused me to be a little more discerning with my mouse click. But I do believe that once the competition dust has settled, we will be left with some good, new posters with interesting things to say and more pretty pictures of models to look at and be inspired by.
Patience Daniel san.

Morgan Darkstar
03-26-2012, 11:45 AM
and at least in the worst case senario we have a bunker down here in The Oubliette ..... "quick someone post guards before they find there way down here"

wittdooley
03-26-2012, 12:29 PM
I agree that the increase of posts has caused me to be a little more discerning with my mouse click. But I do believe that once the competition dust has settled, we will be left with some good, new posters with interesting things to say and more pretty pictures of models to look at and be inspired by.
Patience Daniel san.

This is where I'm sitting.

I think we're going to get about 3-4 new quality posters (Grenadier, Bean off the top of my head) from this Spammy Bitz debacle and HOPEFULLY the unintelligent spam monsters (commisar camenzuli) will be gone.

It's a shame, because I was really looking forward to reaching my 2000th post, and it's taken forever because there are so few things I want to comment on now.

BTW-- If any of you have any Black Library books you'd like me to read and review, please let me know. I'll have some time in the future to do some quality reading, and I'm for whatever. So if there's a book or two you'd really like to get an impartial viewpoint on, offer it up here. Otherwise I may do my first retro review and read the first Ciaphas Cane book.

Cheers!

Aldramelech
03-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I tend to only look in here now anyway, been that way for a long time........

DrLove42
03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY7JMfor93o

Replace the words "Theme Park" with "Forum"

Denzark
03-26-2012, 02:07 PM
I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit... Its the only way to be sure.

wittdooley
03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Heh.

I was just looking at this thread, and I wonder if the total posts created by the Spammy Bitz contest even equals the lowest post total of any us (like, 650)

Who's taking the over?

Morgan Darkstar
03-26-2012, 03:01 PM
I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit... Its the only way to be sure.

They come at night, mostly. :p

Faultie
03-26-2012, 03:28 PM
While I understand not wanting a deluge of folks that upset the social order of things in this internet community, if you look to your right (over there >>>>) you'll see why there needs to be more people.

That's an advertisement. BoLS gets money from that. The more people in the lounge, the more people see that, the more money BoLS gets. BoLS = business. It would be contrary to how those things generally operate if they *didn't* want growth in customers and userbase. I'm all for it, if it means we see more enhanced features, articles, and other benefits.

Verilance
03-26-2012, 04:59 PM
while I understand your point and it is valid, what I find most irritating is the starting of 10 new threads when a reasonable person could and should have searched for an appropriate thread to add their comment to or perhaps find an answer they were looking for.

Drunkencorgimaster
03-26-2012, 09:46 PM
They come at night, mostly. :p

After March Ends: "That's it! Game over, man!"

-Seriously though I generally like the buzz the new posters have added. It was crickets chirping there for a while.

I admit that some of these new people are a tad slow however. They don't seem to get subtlety, sarcasm, or even slapstick. But if we get a handfull of new regulars it will be worth it.

Cuddy
03-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Just a comment from one of the 'newbies' but you guys could try to help more of them become regulars. Looking through a lot of threads, I saw a lot of "bite the newbie" from people with hundreds/thousands of posts. I know its not intentional, but it can dissuade someone who's pretty new. For example, I was in that heavy weapons/vehicle thread. I played WFB forever, but just am catching up to 5th now. I can understand how the rule book can seem vague about it, especially if you havn't played much with anyone other then a couple friends.

"read the rules..." probably wasn't encouraging for someone who was looking for help with something he admitted to being unsure of.
Just some constructive criticism.

Psychosplodge
03-27-2012, 01:32 AM
Quick hide they're ^^^^^
finding their way in here!!:D

eldargal
03-27-2012, 01:38 AM
I'll tell Jeeves to start distributing the horse whips.

He does have a bit of a point, though. I've noticed a few people be a bit brusque to nubs.

DrLove42
03-27-2012, 02:29 AM
He does have a fair point, but there is a difference. Yes you can ask a question about the rules. And generally I don't have a lot of problems. But some things being asked are explained clearly in the BRB.

A lot of the new posts are posts for the sake of posts. And thats all

While I understand not wanting a deluge of folks that upset the social order of things in this internet community, if you look to your right (over there >>>>) you'll see why there needs to be more people.

That's an advertisement. BoLS gets money from that. The more people in the lounge, the more people see that, the more money BoLS gets. BoLS = business. It would be contrary to how those things generally operate if they *didn't* want growth in customers and userbase. I'm all for it, if it means we see more enhanced features, articles, and other benefits.

I'm under no illusion that the reason ISN'T for ad revenue. However I think expecting that ad revenue to come back to us is a mistake. In my time on here (2 years) theres been 2-3 compeitions, the article writers aren't paid (maybe they should be the quality might improve) and nothing in the way of "new features".

SotonShades
03-27-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm not sure paying the writers would improve the quality of the articles really. For the most part, they are pretty good. Quite a bit better than 40k/fantasy articles I have seen elsewhere. Sure they need a bit of a better edit from time to time, occassionally they are a little repetitive and are often just a plain advertisement for the poster's blog/webstore, but generally they raise reasonable and interesting points or show us some interesting conversions.

I've certainly seen worse written articles from professional jounralists on other sites (Cracked.com being the biggest culprit) and even published in a few of the UK national newspapers. Although 99.9999999% of those aren't on our wonderful hobby and barely keep my interest anyway...

Morgan Darkstar
03-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Quick hide they're ^^^^^
finding their way in here!!:D

Dammit I said we should have posted guards.

It's ok though "I keep this for close encounters" :D

Harmonious Borealis
03-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Maybe it's because I avoid the painfully obvious threads too, but I haven't noticed nearly as much n00b-hunting as I was expecting when I signed up.

What kind of features would forum-goers want to see if the ad revenue were to make it's way back where it came from (here) anyway? More lasers? It seems like a pretty featured forum to me already.

wittdooley
03-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Maybe it's because I avoid the painfully obvious threads too, but I haven't noticed nearly as much n00b-hunting as I was expecting when I signed up.

What kind of features would forum-goers want to see if the ad revenue were to make it's way back where it came from (here) anyway? More lasers? It seems like a pretty featured forum to me already.

I don't think there's been much, if any, noob-hunting at all. The biggest frustration for me has been all the new threads with very little thought put into them, in broken sentences, with one word responses. That isn't positive content. Your post here contains more writing than about 80% of the contest-hunter posts. Which is my problem.

I've done a lot more looking at the post originator since this, as well. It's just frustrating because, prior to the contest, I could open mostly anything and find some decent content in any thread; for now, not so much.

Harmonious Borealis
03-27-2012, 04:45 PM
I don't think there's been much, if any, noob-hunting at all. The biggest frustration for me has been all the new threads with very little thought put into them, in broken sentences, with one word responses. That isn't positive content. Your post here contains more writing than about 80% of the contest-hunter posts. Which is my problem.

I've done a lot more looking at the post originator since this, as well. It's just frustrating because, prior to the contest, I could open mostly anything and find some decent content in any thread; for now, not so much.I think I bumped into a post of yours earlier on the front lines :cool:

I've seen much worse on some forums as their status quo. Perhaps BoLS might consider a different kind of contest in the future that doesn't alienate its already-dedicated userbase? Even something as simple as keeping contest-spamming posts to a specified forum. Right now, it sounds like it's similar to a brand new gaming store deciding to run a competitive Magic tournament for the first time.
Hell, I've heard people talk in real life like many of these people post.

Most of the newbies are probably going to leave on April 1st anyway, or soon thereafter.

Do you think any admins are seeing this stuff and relaying it to the people who decide this stuff?

wittdooley
03-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I think I bumped into a post of yours earlier on the front lines :cool:

Uh oh. Haha. I think the only noob I've gotten irritated with and voiced it was that commisar camenzoli kid, who is obviously 12-14. If you've been reading the....'disagreements' I have with Gendo...well, that's because I think he's an idiot that refuses to listen or respond to a reasoned argument.

Most of the newbies are probably going to leave on April 1st anyway, or soon thereafter.

Do you think any admins are seeing this stuff and relaying it to the people who decide this stuff?

I really hope that's only the spammers; I believe there are some solid, mature, quality posters making additions I'd love to keep. The thing I've liked thusfar about this forum as opposed to Dakka, etc, is that it APPEARS to be a bit older, more mature player base. I like that. Duke and Co. are usually very good about their reporting, so I think they're probably aware.

Drunkencorgimaster
03-27-2012, 05:28 PM
...that doesn't alienate its already-dedicated userbase?

"Someone said "alienate"; she thought they said illegal alienate and signed up!"

-Yes! Nailed that one!

SotonShades
03-28-2012, 03:03 AM
Only a couple more days until we find out the fall out of all this. Call it a week for good measure.

And if not, we will have to form a picket line.

"What do we want? Positively contributing content. When do we want it? As soon as the moderators can persuade null-posters to improve the quality of their threads or GTFO!"

Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

Aldramelech
03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
I have to say its done the Historicals board some good............

wittdooley
03-29-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm still hoping they do an over 500 posts contest. Hell, if I win, I'll even split it with someone else. There's so little I need/want that Spikey Bitz carries that I'd be hard pressed to spend $250 now without being frivolous or starting a completely new army.

DrLove42
03-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Lets be even more elitest. A 2k post comp. Give a prize to someone who has actively contributed for a long time

energongoodie
03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
I nominate 550 :) With the best will in the world I'm not getting up to the thousands anytime soon.

MaltonNecromancer
04-01-2012, 04:23 PM
The biggest frustration for me has been all the new threads with very little thought put into them, in broken sentences, with one word responses. That isn't positive content. Your post here contains more writing than about 80% of the contest-hunter posts. Which is my problem.

What kind of monster would post a one-sentence comment bereft of content?

Morgan Darkstar
04-01-2012, 04:48 PM
What kind of monster would post a one-sentence comment bereft of content?

I would. :p

SotonShades
04-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Well, the winner has been announced, we've had a little over a week and... Yep, almost all the people you signed up in March have dissappeared. I think it's safe to say, for most of those that left, it's a good thing. That said, we appear to have retained a few good posters to freshen things up a bit.

Is anyone else being deafened by the silence? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the barrage of non-sensical posts and questions that would have been answered with a quick forum search. However it feels like a few of the regular posters may have dissappeared as well. Has the post count gone down? Am I just being synical and looking back at the Lounge before the competition with a rose-tinted monitor?

Or was DrLove right? (Having lived with him, I highly doubt it) Were the advertising coffers filled to brimming just for them to be barely topped up in the coming months as the faithful wander abroad in more tropical cyber pastures? Am I talking utter tosh (yes) but making a decent point?

Drunkencorgimaster
04-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Is anyone else being deafened by the silence?

Yep. Awfully quiet again.

Psychosplodge
04-11-2012, 01:15 AM
What? I couldn't hear you over all the pins dropping...

DrLove42
04-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Can almost see the tumbleweed

2 points

1) They gave the prize to someone whos has an account for 3 years, has only ever made 11 posts, all of them in the Month of winning. Of those 11, 7 are one line replies to a thread, most of them attacking GW. The rest are 2-3 lines. Great candidate to showcase those who actually use these forums

2) The quietness goes back to the other thing I said...theres not a lot for 40k folks to talk about. There virtually nothing to talk about. Theres plenty activity in the Fantasy (relative to normal of course) becuase of the empire stuff but with no news, releases or anything, 40k interest is at a bit of a low

And i have to say, most of the forum old folk seem to talk in here, not the main forum now...

Psychosplodge
04-11-2012, 04:04 AM
The oubliette does seem to be the most interesting part of the forum I've found so far...

SotonShades
06-13-2012, 01:33 AM
I think normal service has just about been resumed...

6 or 7 active threads in General and News & Rumours most days
A good number of army lists being posted andtactics being argued over
2 or 3 Rules being missinterpreted most days
More posts in Modelling and Painting than the rest put together
The rest of the form mostly quiet... well, no change there then.

Interestingly though, although there are new posters, I'm not sure how many people whp popped up during the comp are still around. There were deffinitely a few posters we expected to stay around. Grenadier springs to mind in that catagory. There were deffinitely a few who posted quite nice armies and models who I thought would stick around for ego boosts if nothing else (that's why I'm here :p).

But no. Do you guys we are missing out on anything, with the comp scaring away a few regulars (for better or worse, depending on the person) and not seeming to retain any new blood?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 01:46 AM
I'm here now, deal with it. :D

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Yes, not all roses and sunshine :(

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Thanks mate!

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Always welcome :D

DrLove42
06-13-2012, 02:53 AM
Thanks mate!

Well you have been a registered member for 2 years...about time you started posting a bit :p

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 02:58 AM
Forgot my password. :(

Anyway, I am here! And posting. And generally being LIKE A BOSS.

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Like a boss?
http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/100000/60000/1000/900/161952/161952.strip.gif

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Hahahaha!

Also, "registered member for 2 years" makes it sound like I'm a sex offender. xD

SotonShades
06-13-2012, 04:17 AM
Hahahaha!

Also, "registered member for 2 years" makes it sound like I'm a sex offender. xD

Don't worry... We'll "believe" you that you aren't.

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 04:19 AM
:looks around, wanders away:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 04:21 AM
I am devious beyond equal. :D

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 04:52 AM
I am devious beyond equal. :D

I think you mean deviant

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 04:56 AM
I should've said "I am a deviant beyond equal", but my head is full of f*&#!

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 05:07 AM
I should've said "I am a deviant beyond equal", but my head is full of fudgecakes
There I fixed it

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 05:08 AM
Godammit! :D

Psychosplodge
06-13-2012, 05:50 AM
mmmmmmmmm cake....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 05:52 AM
ONLY WAR! There is no cake!

Wolfshade
06-13-2012, 06:05 AM
I had "Herman cake" today

Psychosplodge
06-13-2012, 06:05 AM
*facepalm* I set it up perfectly and everything...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 06:13 AM
The cake is a lie!

Psychosplodge
06-13-2012, 06:24 AM
my faith in humanity has been restored....Good job you've got that +2 hat on...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 06:27 AM
YEY, Psycho no longer hates me! :D

Psychosplodge
06-13-2012, 06:31 AM
lol I hate everybody, I'll just kill you almost last:D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Yey! I have longer left to buy plastic crack! :D

fuzzbuket
06-14-2012, 12:39 AM
ive just gone through the last few pages of this and i am VERY confuddled

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Off-topic thread is...... OFF-TOPIC. :D

SotonShades
06-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Does that, therefore, make it on topic?

Either way I have to get back to the Details for my Commissar Costume...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Your sexy Commissar outfit. xD

I suppose it does?

SotonShades
06-14-2012, 01:16 AM
I suspect it will be more dashing than sexy. Though if a good looking girl cares to inform me otherwise I shall not correct her.

Psychosplodge
06-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Off-topic thread is...... OFF-TOPIC. :D

Shhhh, it's a secret...

Wolfshade
06-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Everyone looks good in corsets

EDIT: A quick google search has disspelled this illusion

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Hah! I always look dashing. (I'm sexy and I know it)

Also, 69th comment! GIGGETY GIGGETY GOOD!

Psychosplodge
06-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Everyone looks good in corsets

EDIT: A quick google search has disspelled this illusion
Whatever you do don't turn safe search off....

Wolfshade
06-14-2012, 01:52 AM
It's too late for me man, save yourself!