PDA

View Full Version : Learning WarmaHordes

Iaipunk
03-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there any way to learn this game without having to listen to the lecture about how much better it is than 40k?

I bought some Cryx way back when the game came out. I liked the look of the models and have picked up a few more along the way. But it seems like all the Warmachine guys at my LGS are too busy telling me how 40k is stupid and WM is soooo much more tactical, that I have to walk away and try agian later. I've tried telling them to can it, but it always starts a debate.

I've been to some large events where there were Warmachine players who were cool and I think it's something I could get into... but I can't get past the guys putting down a game I've been playing since Rogue Trader. Is there another way?

Taco_Deluxe
03-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Take a look around youtube, there are a few videos such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25qW7rd4m90&list=UU2T9i-FHD6C56V5MxEqzP4A&index=50&feature=plcp that are helpful to newer players. Also instead of asking people for generic questions, try something specific (How do I handle so-and-so's feat.) Might help taper off the 40k < Warmachine ranting if you give them something to answer. Post game is especially a great time to field questions to veteran players for tips and advice about what you could of done differently.

Dais
03-26-2012, 01:41 AM
While I may agree with your friends' sentiments, I think they need to respect your right to enjoy as many games as you want; and you are entitled to enjoy them without harassment. I think the negative feelings towards gw games come from a lot of ex-gw gamers feeling somehow cheated by the company for not developing and supporting their games fully. It's kind of like staying on good terms with a friend's ex-girlfriend after a messy breakup, he's going to trash talk her until the hurt goes away. Immature maybe, but nobody ever accused gamers of being the most emotionally mature lot.

Gearjock makes some great videos but they can be a bit more advanced. For learning the game I think TinmanXL did a great job of offering a walkthrough of a short game and explaining the hows and why at the same time. The setup on a kitchen table may not be very glamorous but the videos deliver the important facts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Y5EUe8XEs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ZgNzjBxTM

I am really surprised nobody has made a "warmachine for the 40k player" tutorial yet.

Dyrnwyn
03-26-2012, 03:05 AM
I would straight up tell the guys at your store. "Look, I don't want to argue, I don't want you to compare this game to another - teach it to me like I've never seen a tabletop war game before. I'm trying to learn how to play, and all you're doing with the comparisons is calling me stupid, insulting what I like and driving me away from this game. Which is a shame, but if I can't play it without constantly having my taste insulted, I'll play something else."

I like WM/H better than 40k or WFB too, but I recognize what appealing things those systems do that Warmahordes doesn't. In any case, search youtube for 'Warmachine tutorial' and you'll see a fair number of quick guides.

Trojankiller
03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
I just recently started warmahorde also and broke down and finally read the entire Hordes book from start to finish. I really suggest doing this if you haven't already. Even if you do not fully understand everything at least when someone does explain it may come easier. Hopefully you find someone who can give it to you straight though without complaining about 40k =P

Iaipunk
03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all the advice.
I'll check out the links and get on with the game.