PDA

View Full Version : [40k Review] Space Hulk - Gav Thorpe

wittdooley
09-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Space Hulk. Pretty much everyone interested in the 40k universe knows about it. It's practically a religion. The release of Spake Hulk 3rd Edition has no doubt drawn new followers to the cult of Space Hulk. To accompany the release, Games Workshop also released a novella of the same name by Gav Thorpe, in the same vein as the Assault on Black Reach novel that was released in conjunction that set. Does the classic game translate into a solid read? Well, yes and no.

The concept of Space Hulk is no different than the shared namesake game: Marines explore derelict hulk, discover a large brood of genestealers inhabiting it, carnage and chaos ensue. In this iteration we find the Blood Angels of Squads Lorenzo and Gideon as our protagonists. I'd like to point out that I use the term protagonist loosely, as we're never really given time to invest emotionally in the characters. Each marine is given some sort of brief backstory or character trait that distinguishes them from the others, but ultimately, it's hollow as the 125 page novella doesn't allow for tons of development. With that in mind, the story becomes the protagonist. And that's, surprisingly, okay.

One of the key facets to Space Hulk (the game) that makes it so appealing is the sense of tension that permeates every facet of the game. Will all of the marines make it out alive? Will they have enough time to accomplish their goals. Where the **** did those genestealers come from? Fortunately, Thorpe translates this fairly well in the narrative. By switching the action between the two squads often, Thorpe establishes the tension that makes the game so good. He does a good job of leaving us hanging with Squad Lorenzo--if only for a couple pages--while he gives us an update on Squad Gideon. It works pretty well.

With that being said, Thorpe seems to struggle at times with this exploration of the Astartes and the translation of the game to a narrative. Don't get me wrong; Gav Thorpe is no stranger to Games Workshop. He's written quite a few novels in the WHFB universe, rulebooks for both the Dark Elves and the Vampire Counts, and has authored the Last Chancers books in the 40k universe. Recently, he also penned his first foray into the world of the Adeptes Astartes with Angels of Darkness. While the man can write, I think he's still getting his feet wet with the Astartes. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Dan Abnett and Graham McNeil's depictions of the Astartes in the Horus Heresy books, and more recently by Nick Kyme in Salamander, but Thorpe's stumbles a bit in the first third of Space Hulk. For the first 20or so pages it feels like Thorpe had the idea that, "Hey, this is in the game, so I have to put in the book." As a result, we get the clumsy inclusion of the notions of parry, overwatch, blips, gun jams, and assault weapon explosions within the beginning pages. It doesn't work well, and the narrative suffers for it. Once he gets all of that out of his system, the story really picks up.

Is this the strongest piece of Black Library literature you'll ever read? Hell no. Is it a serviceable and ultimately enjoyable addition to the Space Hulk story. Yeah, it is. At times it feels rushed, at times it's clumsy, but Gav Thorpe does a good job of getting the feel of Space Hulk into a narrative, and that's what most people that pick up this novella are looking for.

As a side note, I really hope GW continues this trend of releasing novellas and larger novels with new product releases. It helps to expand an already fun and interesting universe and is a nice way to highlight the new products and stories.

Next Up: Assault on Black Reach - Nick Kyme

Also, if there's a book you guys want me to review, please just let me know. I'd be happy to read it and then give you my input! Cheers!

Dooley

Emperorsmercy
09-20-2009, 01:41 AM
yes, that was pretty much my opinion. It is nice to read the novel then play the game, as it adds an extra dimension and you can just picture scenes in the novel coming to life.

Abominable Plague Marine
09-20-2009, 04:56 AM
Hmmmmmm, unsure because I havent played the game yet, but I have read the novel.

I thought it (the novel) was pretty crap personally. It thundered along for a while without any real direction, then all of a sudden in second half of the book in the space of two pages, two major plot lines get released, then you blink and its all over. There were many glaring holes in the story line as well.

wittdooley
09-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I won't dispute that at all. Like I said, I think the enjoyment of this novel is predicated on having played Space Hulk. It seems like there wasn't so much a plot, as there was a scenario.

Aenir
09-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I was wondering what you thought of his other Astartes book, Angels of Darkness

Also, What do you think of Deathworld? Thats the 2nd one in the IG omnibus (I enjoyed it)