PDA

View Full Version : What army did you start off with?

Far Seer
03-23-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm getting interested in FOW but I've no idea as to what army I should start. There just seems to be so many options out there.

What army did you start off with and why?

plasticaddict
03-23-2012, 08:45 PM
I started with Germans, I like the look of their armor and you can make effective low model count armies.

GrogDaTyrant
03-23-2012, 11:55 PM
I started with Soviets, opting for the T-34 army. From there it expanded to 120mm Heavy Mortars, Pioneers, SU-85s, and kept going. Now I've got enough infantry to run *most* infantry lists, and I'm now just picking up units that I'd like as opposed to focusing towards building specific lists. I figure if/when I get enough, I'll be able to run almost anything.

I have begun looking at other nations as well. I really want to build a US army, and I've also been contemplating Romanians for a potential Axis list. But the one that has really caught my eye, has been the Polish Home Army. It just looks like a fun conversion opportunity.

Gabus
03-24-2012, 08:47 PM
I started with the Canadian 3rd Infantry from Monty's Meatgrinder.
We were worried about how balanced the game would be, so our little group all agreed we would do infantry companies.

Given that I am the token Canadian of the group, and the MM book had just come out, it seemed a natural fit.

My second army then, was naturally the .21 panzer, which faced off vs the Canadians. It made sense to choose a force from the same book and have an historical enemy available. I had no idea the .21 used such specific vehicles, and travelled down the rabbit hole, getting lost in the uniqueness of my army.

Aenir
03-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Got XXX Corps Irish Guards out of Hell's Highway! :)

by extension, it can be used for other British Armored lists as well!

kammek
03-24-2012, 10:15 PM
US Para, because I was watching Band of Brothers while I finished painting my 40k Orks and it motivated me to start that army.

Far Seer
03-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Canadian armies in FOW???

The more I learn about FOW, the more I realise how little I know about it. Could someone list all the nations that are available for play?

GrogDaTyrant
03-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Canadian armies in FOW???

The more I learn about FOW, the more I realise how little I know about it. Could someone list all the nations that are available for play?

Well, the first thing to remember is that the nations available are different in each time period.

Early War focuses mostly on British, German, Polish, and French armies, though I'm not sure if there's any I missed. My understanding is that they are planning on bringing Soviets to Early War, since technically Barbarosa occurred during the Early-War time frame (1939-1941). All currently supported nations are found in Blitzkrieg.

Mid War features the "Big 4", being the Allied nations and Germany, as well as *most* Axis axillary forces. This means the Allied Forces consist of British, US, and Soviet, while the Axis forces consist of Germany, Hungary, Romania, Italy and Finland. British, US, Africa Corps Germany and Italy (iirc), are found in the Africa book. While Eastern Front Germany, Italy, Finland, Hungarian, Romanian, and Soviet Union are found in the Eastern Front book.

Late War is pretty much the same as Mid-War, with more stuff added in. You still have the "Big 4", but 3 of the auxiliary nations can be either Axis or Allied. Those 3 nations are Italy, Romania, and Finland (iirc). Otherwise you still have Germany, Hungary, US, British, and Soviet as well. Western Front Allies are found in Turning Tide , while Western Front Axis (Germany) is Earth and Steel. Soviets, and Romanians are found in Red Bear, while Grey Wolf features Germany, Hungarian, and Finland. On a side note, Poland is also found in Late War within the Red Bear book. Poland gets one list, based around the Polish Home Army during the Warsaw Uprising, and it actually looks to be a lot of fun to play.

On a side note, the British forces also includes all their subsidiary nations as well. So there are lists available for Canada, India, Australia, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, and probably a few more that I'm forgetting. Also of note is that the US have the Nisei Batalion (Japanese-American). Battlefront also has quite a few PDF lists posted on their website, so some lists can be found there (such as the Soviet 'Black Death', or Soviet Naval Infantry Battalions). These official PDF lists can be found on their site under 'Hobby', and then 'Briefings'.

The one nation you will have a hard time finding, is Japanese. And that's because Flames of War focuses around the Western, & Eastern European, and African theaters. I do not believe they currently have plans for a Pacific Theater.

Speed Freek
03-29-2012, 07:36 AM
US Paratroops.

Great story and not too expensive (dollar wise).

Sinsinatus
03-29-2012, 07:59 AM
I started with British Desert Rats (I play Skaven in Warhammer). I liked the idea of a very mobile commando force. Was very challenging against most other armies. I've since sold them off and am looking to start another. Still deciding myself.

Sinsinatus

Aldramelech
03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
I started with Early War Soviets cause I love really crappy multi-turreted tanks!

Michalino
03-30-2012, 01:52 AM
i started with late war soviets, both udarny strelkovy(shock infantry) and haevy tankovy(mainly KV), but now i'm thinking about west or axis. I like "funny" or "difrent" armies. I'm thinkng about greks/maori rifle; romanian alied tank list with panzer IV/Stug's and alied Rusian Sherman or Lee company, mayby some polish, french gouam or nissei(American-japonesse) from italy theatre; or American TD company or German Beutpanzer (Captured Tank) company with early war Hothiks or Char-B tanks.

Tarasque
07-29-2012, 08:56 PM
I started with LW Germans, because I like the aesthetics of their vehicles and their rag-tag uniforms, as well as their playstyle. Plus Mounted Assault and Stormtrooper are amazing rules. I've been running a Heer Gepanzerte Panzergrenadierkompanie, and I love it so far. Though I need a little more anti-tank...

Certs
08-07-2012, 03:26 AM
I started (recently) with LW Germans, and am currently intent on using a Panzergrenadier Lehr Kompanie.

I went with LW as that's what my group plays and Germans as they do a lot of campaign play and I wanted to keep sides balanced, as 2 others had just started US right before I joined.

After a couple 'learn to play' games using a tank company made up of my friend's Panzer IVs and Panthers, I learned the value of tactical flexibility that comes from the combined arms approach, though wanted the extra anti-tank punch that Lehr provides.

Only gotten one game in so far with my Lehr (against a company of churchills) but I'm definitely sold on them.

Buckminster
06-18-2013, 10:38 AM
I built two armies to start - a small Desert Rats force and a small DAK force. Strictly all-tanks, so that I'd have two little starter forces that simplified some of the rules. That way I could break them out and show someone the game, without worrying about assaults and digging in and artillery and all that jazz.

The DR had three Grants and six Stuarts, the DAK had three Panzer 3J, and two Panzer 4s - an F1 and an F2. It was always funny to see people's reactions to the armies - The DAK were outnumbered, but they certainly had quality on their side.

I ran it at Gencon a few times, it seemed to be very easy for people to get in to the game.

GCGordon
06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I decided to go with German Paratroopers and Panzer Grenadiers...now all I have to do is get them painted. Hope to use them at the next gaming convention I attend in November.

Made a small change and am going with an SS Gepanzerte Panzergrenadierkompanie...I have enough for two infantry platoons, an anti-tank platoon, a recon platoon, and an assault gun platoon.

I'm still also building a Fallschrimjager Kompanie, with mortar, anti-tank, mg, and pioneer platoons.

Brigs
09-28-2013, 08:13 AM
I started with a German LW PanzerGrenadier Company and have never looked back. I love the challenge of a Mech Inf force and I always seem to learn something new with them.

Gorechilde
10-22-2013, 09:53 PM
I started off with the SS. I am in the process of painting the 2.SS-PanzerDivision "Das Reich". Due to my "Got to own it all" complex I have acquired over the last 2 years the
I/2.Battalion with 12 Panthers,
II/2.Battalion with 12 Panzer IV
3.SS-PanzerGrenadierRegiment "Deutschland"
I/3.Battalion with 3 platoons of 3 squads each with transports
2.SS-PanzerArtillerieRegiment
II/.Battalion with 6 15cm sFH18 Howilitzers and transports

I also have a couple of Stugs and Grille's and a Tiger platoon as well as Micheal Wittmann and Ernst Barkmann. It all adds up to about 9000 pts of SS. I really don't know why I choose the SS except that I am a history buff and I like bad guys. I also find that every model has camo on it, so that presents a challenge to me and my painting skills. I am learning and enjoying the heck out of paint 15mm soldiers.

I have my eye on a American Ariborne force as well.

Popsical
11-22-2013, 08:16 AM
LW british infantry company for me, as my grandad fought in france, Belgium and the Netherlands in the royal sussex infantry and its another way to remember him.

OldCavGuy
01-27-2014, 11:34 PM
I started with Germans, Americans, and Russians.
I added Canadians, then British.
I added a Finnish company.
My last army was Hungarian late war.
Base units are 2 German Para Coy (mid and late including early glider Pioneer assault), SS Panzergrenadier (gp). and a VG company. Armor units can be a Recon Coy, Tank Coy (early 41, and 42-45), Tiger Coy (I or II or mix), StuG Coy. Wespe battery, Nblwerfer battery; Armored MRL battery, 105mm horse drawn FA battery.
Canadians have two infantry coy, one in Kangaroos; and Shermans as support tanks, 25pdr battery and Sexton battery.
British uses Canadian infantry and Churchill tanks.
Russians is an Inf BN with 2 full strength R/MG Coy and 1 full strength SMG Coy, T34/76 BN, or T34/85 BN and IS-2m BN. Support includes SU-76m, SU-122, SU-152, ISU-152, ISU-122, SU-85, SU-100 and tank destroyer batteries (45mm, 57mm and 76.2mm plus 1 122/L43 field piece), FA Battalion with 6 122mm FH and 12 76.2mm (4 1939 guns, the rest ZIS-3)
Americans include 2 Sherman Coy 1 mid and 1 late; Infantry Coy with BN support; Armored Inf Coy, 105mm FH battery, M7 battery, TD battery with either M18, M10, or M36 GMC, Light tank Coy with M5 Stuart and 1 platoon M24, and an Armored Cav Sqdn (M8 armored cars - missing jeeps except for 1 platoon).
Finns have an infantry Coy, 1 T26 tank, a 100mm FH battery.
Hungarian forces are based on a StuG company with Hungarian 105mm StuH, 2 platoons of infantry and 1 of Pioneers, HMG platoon, mortar platoon, 100mm FH battery, 40mm SP AA and a Pak 40 ATG battery.

I think I went overboard.

silashand
01-30-2014, 12:51 AM
Soviet Strelkovy.

Why? Because I could have commisars and was allowed to shoot my own guys :).

(I am primarily a sci-fi/fantasy player and likened them to my 40K Imperial Guard army)

Bigred
02-16-2014, 11:47 PM
Midwar German PanzerGrenadier Company

Tools to do whatever you need to get done.

MitchDunn
02-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Mid war Italians!

White Tiger88
04-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Late War Heavy Panzer Company! King Tigers & Friends getting things done with giant,giant cannons.

pnelson101
05-18-2014, 10:45 AM
I started with Soviets, because I love T-34s and hordes. Which leads to the inevitable problem of actually painting everything. I definitely would recommend starting out with Guards over 'normal' conscripts if you like playing fully painted armies and don't like repetitive stress injuries.

LeeW
12-25-2014, 07:43 AM
I'm doing mid/late war yank armoured rifle company with tank support mainly cos my mate is doing mid war panzergrenadier army but with the addition of the open fire box set and the blood, guts and glory book I can do a tank company army with rifle support (never send tanks into a built up area without infantry support) plus artillery support

White Tiger88
12-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Any of you guys want to buy my 2000pt army + the start of a mid-war second army..........

Storm Gryphon
07-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Soviet infantry. Which is an unending process really!

I have added lots of vehicle to my available forces but still revert to infantry in tournaments. They can assault, they can defend. They die in droves and keep on coming.

Победы!

Wizzardx3
07-22-2015, 09:02 AM
German Heer from the OPEN FIRE! box. I've added a lot of StuG's, Panthers and Pumas so far. I have some Nebs and some more infantry but I'm not feeling the painting.