PDA

View Full Version : New paints are up

Nemesis
03-23-2012, 03:19 PM
New paints are up on GW's website---£333 for the paint set!!! Whoooh

Kawauso
03-23-2012, 03:43 PM
We knew it was going to be expensive. Think about it - the prices stayed the same, but they doubled the paint range.

Thankfully I bought the full paint set thing that went on sale before the holidays last year, so I'm going to be good for a long while. The only thing that I might need to stock up on soon will be washes...but I'm always running out of those. :)

Defenestratus
03-23-2012, 04:15 PM
New paints are up

Unfortunately the website itself doesn't seem to be! :P

UltramarineFan
03-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Unfortunately the website itself doesn't seem to be! :P

Yep, for me all other websites are fine atm but GW has slowed down to a crawl

Nemesis
03-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Yeah, same for me now. I was able to download the Conversion Chart PDF. Comes from the next WD by the looks of it and of course the 'WD-388' at the bottom.

Good news---there is a conversion chart, bad news--it states close but NOT exact matches. This sounds like fun!

Captainparty
03-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Saw a guys models with some of the new white on today in GW, one coat over black primer, it was really impressive.

helvexis
03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah love that new Paint set £333 or if you live in the us it's $536us or you can go to Australia and Buy it for $870au

That is $910us or £573 with current exchange rates ... Which means I could buy one in the us/uk have it shipped over here and expect around $250-300au change :-/

Excuse me while I go cry in a corner because I'm Australian ... ...

Slug
03-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Oh yeah love that new Paint set £333 or if you live in the us it's $536us or you can go to Australia and Buy it for $870au

That is $910us or £573 with current exchange rates ... Which means I could buy one in the us/uk have it shipped over here and expect around $250-300au change :-/

Don't worry you'll get used to it, in the meantime it's best to just avoid comparing prices.

LostInTheDark
03-23-2012, 06:38 PM
I get a Page Not Found error when I try and open the conversion chart.

How annoying :(

Gir
03-23-2012, 06:39 PM

We get it, you don't understand how local pricing based on Per Capita Income works.

That aside, new range looks very interesting. Sad that they changed all the colour names for the current range though :(

hammer hades
03-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Yes, the paints are indeed close, but not exact matches of the old paints, for example, gehenna's gold looks nothing like shining gold and also, The Fang is both Shadow Grey and Fenris Grey

BHound1981
03-23-2012, 07:58 PM
So the new complete paint set is going to be $536.00!!! That is only the paints -- no brushes, no flock, just paints. That is ZERO savings offered by purchasing the whole set of paints at once. Awesome.

robrodgers46
03-23-2012, 08:04 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that no matter what GW does people find something to complain about. Either the prices, or the timing, or the change from the older/better... And yet you all come to a website that is pretty much devoted to GW products. So strange.

That said, I think the new paint line looks amazing. I have a few on order already, trying the new texture paint to help base 200 guardsmen.

Rob

Aegis
03-23-2012, 08:06 PM
But you get an inadequate citadel model case as compensation. You know, for making your battle foam case so much better...

Also, $645 in Canada, which is pear-shaped considering the exchange between US and Canadian currency. Would really like to know how GW decides the pricing on these things...

T-ORK-amada
03-23-2012, 08:07 PM
I am excited about the new paints. However, I think it is a little late. Vallejo has made much of the same products for years. It will be interesting to see the comparison.

Hokiecow
03-23-2012, 08:42 PM
$536 for the entire set!!! Is there any discount at all for buying the set?? You think they would give you something for buying 10 shades of every color....

Suffokate
03-23-2012, 09:07 PM
XV-88 still seems to be a mystery color. Also of note that these are new mixes so if you enjoy a certain shade of paint you may want to pick up a few of the old pots.

flekkzo
03-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Ignore me, didn't make the shades are the new word for washes connection. Bah.

Brakkart
03-24-2012, 12:48 AM
I must be going blind, can someone please post a link to where you can download these 45 painting guides and the paint comparison chart from, because I can't seem to find them on GW's site. Much appreciated.

Edit: Found the Conversion Chat finally, still no sign of the painting guides though.

jimmehmaca
03-24-2012, 02:07 AM
I guess the rumours about the 6th ed boxset are going get stronger as the new 40k paint set seems to have all the colours for painting DA.

Mr. Furious
03-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Too.....Much.......Paint.

I just can't imagine ever needing that many color choices for painting tiny little guys and their tiny little tanks. I think its great that GW is offering these for the folks who might need that much variety in their paint case but for the great majority of the enthusiasts it is complete overkill in my humble opinion.

I am very pleased that the price remained the same but I'm really surprised that they didn't make the uber mega paint set a much better value. For $400us they would have sold tons of them and still made a killing.

eldargal
03-24-2012, 08:54 AM
The reason there are so many paints is so people don't have to mix them to get good highlighting anymore. It is actually a rather good idea. I'm quite a good painter but I really, really hate mixing paints. I either mix too much or too little, it isn't exactly a problem but it is irritating. Now I won't have to bother quite so much.

I'm rather hoping one or other of the textured paints will help me create snow bases much faster, too.

addamsfamily36
03-24-2012, 09:03 AM
The reason there are so many paints is so people don't have to mix them to get good highlighting anymore. It is actually a rather good idea. I'm quite a good painter but I really, really hate mixing paints. I either mix too much or too little, it isn't exactly a problem but it is irritating. Now I won't have to bother quite so much.

completely agree.

Im not an amazing painter, but having a couple of golden demon badges from entries i like to think i'm fairly good, but one of my pet hates (mainly due to being lazy) is mixing up a color than then dries out before iv'e finished. Iv'e tried and invested in wet palettes which are good but i do prefer a solid tile or something. A greater range means less need for mixing and hopefully a more varied look to peoples models. :)

jimmehmaca
03-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I went into my local store to try out some of the new paints I Cant say in the few mins I played with the texture paint I was grabbed by it but I guess I will get some.. I am a sucker it seems. I dunno if this was posted anywhere else but here is a old to new paint conversion chart: click (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2320032a_Citadel_Conversion_Chart)

Kawauso
03-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the conversion chart!

I'm glad the new paints have so many close companions to the old ones - it does unsettle me a little though that there are some paints that are said to be closest matches with 2 of the older hues, though...

I'm sure matching them won't be too bad, but I'm still going to get as much life out of my old paints as I can (except washes/shades...go through those like crazy. but a black/brown wash is still going to be a black/brown wash).

Nemesis
03-24-2012, 02:52 PM
I went to my local store here in Edinburgh this afternoon for a little nose about. Saw the base white being applied and was very impressed. Also, they had some bits white undercoated and were splashing some shade and glaze green on them--results looked very good indeed--be very handy for painting my Mortis Engine.

Oh, although the pots are the same, the tops were different. They had---wait for it---a little lug to keep the top open!!! Not the same as the one on the 'old' foundations paints but a much larger and stronger looking one.

See, GW DOES listen!! (Yeah, right)

Gabus
03-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Definately handy for the "lazy" painter. I switched to Vajello Game Color years ago, specifically for the range of colors, and no need to mix. This is taking it one step up.

I still use GW washes and foundations... this might bring me back slowly... certainly wont be buying it all at once!

thefremen
03-24-2012, 09:46 PM
How are the Drybrush paints? It seems like they'd essentially be foundation with more pigment.

Quattro
03-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Are the stores stocking the entirerty of the new line yet? I prefer to take a look at colours in person, I can't trust my monitor.

hammer hades
03-24-2012, 10:04 PM

I'm rather hoping one or other of the textured paints will help me create snow bases much faster, too.

The texture bases, are actually quite good, I've been able to base 5 of my marines with the mud one at my local gw.
The stores are releasing the paints in two weeks, and the starter set does indeed have sculpted DA shoulder pads. Also, the store manager actually tipped a pot of dry on me, but nothing came out, the paint actually stayed in the pot. The gloss varnish will no longer be 'glossy' so now is the time to stock up.

There are also a variety of nifty painting cards to indicate how to paint ares of the models.
The agrax earthshade (devlan mud) was darker than the devlan, and most of the paints will NOT remain exactly the same, with slight changes to the colours. The nuln oil was also shown in my paint card to have a less watered down consistency, and provided less of a wash, and more of a solid colour.

Colonel Kreitz
03-25-2012, 12:46 AM
As a few others have noted, I got to play around with some of the paints in person today. The LA Battle Bunker had them all set out, and people were free to use them if they wanted to test them out.

1) Ceramite White is not magic, but it is very good. I was able to get complete, 100% coverage over black in three coats on wide, flat surfaces. If you go with thicker coats, you can get solid coverage in two or even one coat. For comparison, I have been painting the sails on my Dark Eldar Raiders/Ravager using Vallejo's Foundation White (which is more heavily pigmented than standard white) and it has been taking 10+ coats to get a nice, even white. Granted, I've been watering the Vallejo down a bit, but this is a really, really huge difference.

2) Dry paints are nice for the lazy painter, if not quite revolutionary. I have historically left paints that I use to drybrush with frequently out with the cap open for several days to let them thicken. This is pretty much the same thing. Convenient, if not revolutionary.

3) I actually wasn't a big fan of the textured paints, but I don't think I was using them properly. It sounds like you really need to glob it on to make it look good.

4) The layers seem to be slightly thinner than the old "normal" Citadel paints. It seemed like they also had slightly inferior coverage, but I think the expansion of the Base paints makes up for this (that is, you don't need great coverage over black or white if you're painting over a Base color). Overall a plus I think.

5) I know you can mix paints, but 1) I am lazy and 2) I'm bad at it and especially terrible at getting good consistency, which I find very important in an army. I think for people like me (and I know a lot of people that don't mix or do very limited mixing) the best and most obvious plus is the huge number of new colors. The new wash colors are welcome, as are the new layers, but the large number of new Foundations is particularly awesome.

amrogers3
03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
^^^

Thanks for info. Can't wait to try them out. Man, I swear every time I turn around, GW is in my pockets... They need to stop making cool sh#$!

Sindamar
03-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Tried them out at my local GW today. The full range isn't out until the 7th of April, but the stores have a limited range of the paints available to try out now. Overall, I'm fairly impressed. There wasn't enough of the range to get a full idea of how useful I'll find the changes for my painting projects, but I found the following interesting:

The Ceramite White Base Paint works like a Foundation Paint. Got cover in 1 go over black undercoat.
The Base paints can be mixed to make other shades.
The Shade Paints seem to be just like the washes, although they supposedly "don't smell as bad".
Didn't have the Layer Paints I wanted for the model I was testing them on, and I didn't try the Texture Paints... Will save that for another day.

Had lealets detailing the range, show an example of an Ultramarine being painted using them. They also had a set of cards, showing a selection of typical models from all 3 game systems. The back of each card showing the colours used to paint them. Unfortunately, they didn't have many of each of them, so I could only take a few.:(

Still, pretty good. IMHO, of course.:)

hammer hades
03-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Had lealets detailing the range, show an example of an Ultramarine being painted using them. They also had a set of cards, showing a selection of typical models from all 3 game systems. The back of each card showing the colours used to paint them. Unfortunately, they didn't have many of each of them, so I could only take a few.:(

Still, pretty good. IMHO, of course.:)[/QUOTE]

My local gw had 3 decks of the cards, and yes we have parents coming in, complaining about how their child spaypainted their bathroom black, and how bad the washes smell, so the non-smelly shade would be a blessing for most people.

thefremen
03-26-2012, 03:36 AM
It's really worth trying the paints out. Love the drybrush paints and the ceramite white is ASTOUNDING. The washes were a bit less smelly but I have a very sensitive nose.

Spartiatis
03-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Got to try the texture paints, they weren't bad, I could see them being great at basing a horde army.

woodenronin
03-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Noooo! Why not eye dropper style?

Bracchus
03-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Nice of them to release a ton of colors, but still the crappy pots? Sick and tired of having my paint dry out.. I don't paint out of the pot (use wet palette) but even when only opened when I'm getting paint for the palette they still dry out, hating it! Sadly my local gaming store only sell GW paints, and while it would be really easy to order some Vallejo from the net I like to buy from the local store, doing my part keeping them in business.

jimmehmaca
03-27-2012, 06:15 AM
They have changed the pot slightly and the lid does lock open now and the lids do seem to lock down better thanks to a higher lip. Having said that I would check to make sure they are sealed all the way round as the new cap can look closed but there is a gap.

Bracchus
03-27-2012, 08:39 AM
They have changed the pot slightly and the lid does lock open now and the lids do seem to lock down better thanks to a higher lip. Having said that I would check to make sure they are sealed all the way round as the new cap can look closed but there is a gap.

Ahh that sounds promising, heres hoping that they made pots that don't dry the paint!

Brass Scorpion
03-28-2012, 08:47 PM
A Color Conversion Chart between new GW, old GW, Vallejo, Reaper and P3 Paints. One of our employees put this together.

Download and share GW_Paint_Conversion_Chart.pdf uploaded by @TheWarStore and hosted by Ow.ly

http://ow.ly/d/yJR