PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld will be opening a U.S. warehouse!?

mountaincycle661
09-19-2009, 01:20 PM
A friend of mine, whose parents live in Balitmore, makes regular trips to the city to visit them. While he's there, he always takes down orders from everyone around here so when he visits he can buy stuff from the Forgeworld counter at the Baltimore battle bunker. This year, before he went, he called the battle bunker and asked them if they have any of the new ork stuff in stock.

The Bunker employee told him that he was sorry, but they had to pull all their forgeworld product from the store because Forgeworld will be setting up a new warehouse in the US. And appearently they want to sell exclusively out of this warehouse.

I have total faith in my friend who travels to balitmore. Hes got no interest in starting rumors, etc. But how could a massive move like this on forgeworlds part go unnoticed? :eek:

One things for sure, i'll be holding back on my forgeworld purchases until i here more about this. I dont feel like spending 12% on shipping and waiting 6 weeks for my product...

wittdooley
09-19-2009, 03:13 PM
That would be amazing!

warpcrafter
09-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah, they have to wait for their new generation of chinese-made stuff to arrive. I'm extremely wary of this whole development. While I've heard reports that Forgeworld's quality has improved, this is quite a shake-up.

gwensdad
09-19-2009, 03:51 PM
You should have asked to see if they were hiring for this new warehouse. That might have given a better idea of where it's based, if it's real, how large it would be, etc.

(BTW: Where is it and are they hiring?)

AsgeirArnald
09-19-2009, 04:34 PM
If this ends up being true, I'll be as giddy as a little school girl!

mountaincycle661
09-19-2009, 05:54 PM
You should have asked to see if they were hiring for this new warehouse. That might have given a better idea of where it's based, if it's real, how large it would be, etc.

(BTW: Where is it and are they hiring?)

I wasnt the one doing the asking, unfortunately. However, I'm tempted to give them a call tomorrow myself and see whats really going on.

As for the whole "hiring" thing....It beats me. But somehow i get the feeling that they wont really offer any employee discounts :rolleyes:

gwensdad
09-19-2009, 06:06 PM
As for the whole "hiring" thing....It beats me. But somehow i get the feeling that they wont really offer any employee discounts :rolleyes:

Well, I need a job, but if it's in the Baltimore area my sister moved out there last year and she could use a job. She's not a gamer, which is something that some game warehouses actually look for in their employees (I'm looking at you Alliance Games!)

(and if she got a job, I could get discounts via her. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!)

Abominable Plague Marine
09-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Was there not originally a Forgeworld in the US? I thinking a way back here now when they flicked Amourcast?

oni
09-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Holy crap! That's awesome. :eek:

Brass Scorpion
09-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Here's what I know on this topic based on my conversations with people at the Maryland HQ/Battle Bunker during the summer:

1) It's true, US Battle Bunkers no longer stock Forge World. They do, however, allow you to order it and have it delivered to the Battle Bunker free of shipping charges. Obviously, state sales tax is charged as applicable.

2) There has been a lot of talk about what system would replace the old system of buying Forge World over the counter at Battle Bunkers. A lot of options were discussed. The idea of having a central distribution point within the US for Forge World is one that I have also heard before. However, I have not heard of a final decision on how it would be purchased by and distributed to customers. One idea I heard is that it could be stocked in Bunkers again with a US warehouse from which to draw. Another is that it could be ordered from an "order point" within any US store like the Direct Order stations there now. I have not heard of a final decision on any of this at this time.

3) The "Forgeworld US" mentioned above by someone else was a non-GW company with a GW license just like Armorcast. That was many years ago. They were not affiliated with Games Workshop nor do they bear any relation to the current Forge World that is a GW company.

scadugenga
09-19-2009, 07:48 PM
That's funny.

When I asked about FW not being in my local Bunker (Chicago) I was told that they were no longer carrying any FW due to the "wildly changing exchange rates" between the US dollar and the UK pound.

And, I'm sorry to an above poster, but FW's quality control is as bad (if not worse) than ever.

I recently received my Eldar Revenant Titan. At first, it seemed that FW finally packaged something correctly.

After getting home and starting the cleaning/prepping process--lo and behold! It's missing both cockpits and 1 of the face masks. And sadly, the kit cannot be actually completed without a cockpit.

I'd be more annoyed if every other actual kit from FW hadn't been missing an integral part as well. (Avatar, Nightwing, Hellhound...)

How a company as small and niche-oriented as FW can be so disorganized in the packing/shipping dept, I'll never figure it out.

Unless they just hate us.

Perhaps that's it. ;)

sicarius2424
09-19-2009, 09:50 PM
exterme chetter!!!!! wwwwwwwwooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes freaking A man if this is true then yeah i would love it:D:D:D:D

warpcrafter
09-19-2009, 09:53 PM
exterme chetter!!!!! wwwwwwwwooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes freaking A man if this is true then yeah i would love it:D:D:D:D

Huh?

Xas
09-20-2009, 02:33 AM
That's funny.

When I asked about FW not being in my local Bunker (Chicago) I was told that they were no longer carrying any FW due to the "wildly changing exchange rates" between the US dollar and the UK pound.

And, I'm sorry to an above poster, but FW's quality control is as bad (if not worse) than ever.

I recently received my Eldar Revenant Titan. At first, it seemed that FW finally packaged something correctly.

After getting home and starting the cleaning/prepping process--lo and behold! It's missing both cockpits and 1 of the face masks. And sadly, the kit cannot be actually completed without a cockpit.

I'd be more annoyed if every other actual kit from FW hadn't been missing an integral part as well. (Avatar, Nightwing, Hellhound...)

How a company as small and niche-oriented as FW can be so disorganized in the packing/shipping dept, I'll never figure it out.

Unless they just hate us.

Perhaps that's it. ;)

usually they are extremely nice if you give them a call and send you the missing parts. I've come to own a whole titan foot more than I should because they weren't able to send the right part and so sent the whole foot ^^

what I would NOT do with FW is a last minute order for a birthday or christmas. because even if they ship big orders within 2-3 days it can take 3 weeks and multiple calls to collect the whole kit :D

oni
09-21-2009, 10:03 AM

When I visited the Glenn Burnie bunker in MD after Games Day this year and I was actually told the same thing. It makes perfect sense, but so does opening a US warehouse for the exact same reason.

Dingareth
09-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Here's what I know on this topic based on my conversations with people at the Maryland HQ/Battle Bunker during the summer:

1) It's true, US Battle Bunkers no longer stock Forge World. They do, however, allow you to order it and have it delivered to the Battle Bunker free of shipping charges. Obviously, state sales tax is charged as applicable.

2) There has been a lot of talk about what system would replace the old system of buying Forge World over the counter at Battle Bunkers. A lot of options were discussed. The idea of having a central distribution point within the US for Forge World is one that I have also heard before. However, I have not heard of a final decision on how it would be purchased by and distributed to customers. One idea I heard is that it could be stocked in Bunkers again with a US warehouse from which to draw. Another is that it could be ordered from an "order point" within any US store like the Direct Order stations there now. I have not heard of a final decision on any of this at this time.

3) The "Forgeworld US" mentioned above by someone else was a non-GW company with a GW license just like Armorcast. That was many years ago. They were not affiliated with Games Workshop nor do they bear any relation to the current Forge World that is a GW company.

Talked to Scott yesterday, and he mentioned that they were gong ahead and setting it up in Memphis. All it will be is a big warehouse to cut down on shipping time and cost to the customer rather than shipping from the UK. The casting will still be done over there.

schoon
09-23-2009, 02:12 PM
This really does make a great amount of sense.

By selling exclusively out of the UK, they were really alienating some of the US market (for many of the reasons already outlined above). Doing this would be a good business decision that should help grow sales.

Watching Paint Dry
09-25-2009, 10:46 AM

By selling exclusively out of the UK, they were really alienating some of the US market (for many of the reasons already outlined above). Doing this would be a good business decision that should help grow sales.

Especially considering the US market is disproportionately slanted to the 40k side (the opposite of the UK).

I just hope the offer reasonable shipping to Canada.

jspyd3rx
09-26-2009, 07:42 AM

Any idea when this will happen?:eek:

Javin
10-04-2009, 08:08 PM
This would be nice. I got a FW Bassy and it had two of the left gun support pieces. I contacted FW and they responded quickly by e-mail. Sadly I have not had any communication from them about getting a Right side fun support.

Should there be a US location such accidents could be addressed rather more quickly I would hope.

person person
10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I just hope the offer reasonable shipping to Canada.

Same, I think its an awesome idea. I'm so excited.:D

jahred
10-05-2009, 02:40 AM
I've never had a mis-cast piece by forgeworld. Some have had excessive flash but nothing that couldn't be solved with time and effort. Saying that, I'm now going to get a model that has been turned into a resin chaos spawn...

Also, its cool that FW is expanding, they do cater for modellers who want nice centre-pieces for their army.

twistinthunder
10-05-2009, 07:01 AM
A friend of mine, whose parents live in Balitmore, makes regular trips to the city to visit them. While he's there, he always takes down orders from everyone around here so when he visits he can buy stuff from the Forgeworld counter at the Baltimore battle bunker. This year, before he went, he called the battle bunker and asked them if they have any of the new ork stuff in stock.

The Bunker employee told him that he was sorry, but they had to pull all their forgeworld product from the store because Forgeworld will be setting up a new warehouse in the US. And appearently they want to sell exclusively out of this warehouse.

I have total faith in my friend who travels to balitmore. Hes got no interest in starting rumors, etc. But how could a massive move like this on forgeworlds part go unnoticed? :eek:

One things for sure, i'll be holding back on my forgeworld purchases until i here more about this. I dont feel like spending 12% on shipping and waiting 6 weeks for my product...

i think they mean that FORGEWORLD want to sell/ship stuff americans exclusively from that warehouse.

ac4155
10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I cant wait and hope they are a plastic set, but by the looks i will still pick up a set. it says to expect more on them in the Games workshop blog on monday.
AC

why have you just copied some of my post about the legion of the damned topic? it never even had any links to this topic :confused::confused:

AC

MarshalAdamar
10-22-2009, 10:50 AM
We can only hope that FW moves to the US. Right now I only order from them when I can get a bunch of people to go in with me so we can split the shipping cost.

The Plastic Surgeon
10-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Well if the prices are reasonable, then this is GREAT news for us Aussies with the dollar at 93US cents :D

eldargal
10-24-2009, 08:04 AM
They will never move to the U.S, the UK is their biggest market. They will (and are) opening a warehouse to reduce shipping costs instead.

We can only hope that FW moves to the US. Right now I only order from them when I can get a bunch of people to go in with me so we can split the shipping cost.

ForeverHero
11-06-2009, 10:40 AM
I'll be glad when they open up a U.S. warehouse because then maybe they'll adjust to prices accordingly instead of charging us exchange rates all the time. It will be nice to pay normal shipping from within the states; might even get me to buy more often.

Duke
11-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I'll be glad when they open up a U.S. warehouse because then maybe they'll adjust to prices accordingly instead of charging us exchange rates all the time. It will be nice to pay normal shipping from within the states; might even get me to buy more often.

My thoughts exactley... Sometimes the exchange rate works for us, most of the time it hurts; especially when the dollar is so weak.

Duke

AlltoEasy
11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
maybe us brits could order from the US warehouse and get it cheaper...mmmmmm now that would rule!

Dragonstriker
11-09-2009, 06:01 AM

How does this work? International shipping is 15% of order value, so splitting the shipping on a big order is the same as paying shipping on a smaller one. Unless of course you order over £250 and get free express shipping. But that's not really splitting it now, is it? :confused:

Brass Scorpion
11-09-2009, 09:59 AM
How does this work? International shipping is 15% of order value, so splitting the shipping on a big order is the same as paying shipping on a smaller one. Unless of course you order over £250 and get free express shipping. But that's not really splitting it now, is it? :confused:
That's exactly correct. Because shipping from Forge World is a percentage of the order total there is no benefit in combining your order with someone else unless it takes you to the free shipping threshold. Back in the winter I combined my order with a friend and we got the free express shipping. We had our order in just 3 days all the way from the UK to the US. It certainly made it worthwhile to combine because it saved us money and we got our product faster than when it is sent by normal air mail. However, if you're not going to cross the £250 free shipping threshold there is no reason to combine orders with other people.

Watching Paint Dry
11-12-2009, 10:00 AM
I wonder if they'll reduce the price... Everything in the UK has VAT (15% I think) included. Technically that should be removed before the conversion to US dollars since our (US and Canadian) sales taxes are added on top of the price.

If I order something from Forge world I'll end up paying both sales taxes (VAT is already included plus Canadian tax when it arrives), whereas when I order from the GW site I pay the price listed plus Canadian taxes.

I know in the end I'm probably dreaming since the GW UK prices converted to US dollars don't discount this way, but I can still dream, right?

Lord Azaghul
11-12-2009, 10:06 AM
acutally if you looked at the 08 and 09 forgeworld catologes - US prices when down drasticly.
I'll probably never end up making an order, even if they set up in the US (which they should), the models are amazing, but I'm not even willing to pay gw retail, let alone fw retail.