PDA

View Full Version : Raveners

jb50c
03-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Plan to bubble wrap some behind termagants for the cover then launch them 12 to charge. Give them Rending claws and possibly use a Tervigon to give them feel no pain.

Is this a viable tactic or am I wasting points? What are some other ways to make Raveners work?

Cavematt
03-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Sounds like a decent idea, but if you hide them in with warriors they are less likely to get noticed. The size and head shape is the same, so you might have an opponent miss seeing them. At least until they charge out.

herigonz
03-23-2012, 08:55 AM
I guess make sure they are a good sized squad. More often than not whenever my friends have played them they take a few Strength 8 hits to the face and get wiped off the board faster than you can imagine. Maybe my friend just has bad luck though since they tend to get caught out in the open easily enough.

I know you mentioned cover behind gaunts though. What are they, Fast Attack?

Nykster
03-23-2012, 09:06 AM
My buddy started using them and he deep strikes them. With the hive tyrant giving the reserve boost it makes it easier to bring them on. And because they are so fast, you can hide them and they still have the movement to get to the target.

BS FADE
03-23-2012, 12:34 PM
I’m not sure I like the idea of deep striking them. They have a large enough threat range that if you can hide them and/or give higher priority targets they will be fine.

There’s no real reason they can’t get 2nd turn assaults because of their threat range, if you reserve them they have to wait till 3rd turn.

Edit: I still will never understand why they have acute senses..

Ziac45
03-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I really like playing with them in my bug army. They are incredibly fragile but can put a beating on anything when kitted out with Rending claws. If you are playing against Guard I would keep them in reserves until you take out his battle tanks or else you are in for losing them all to one pie plate.

Garradh
03-23-2012, 10:16 PM
My typical Tyranid opponent loves taking a squad of 4-5 Raveners. They give him mixed results in the killyness department, but being able to quickly tie up a unit is a real tactical treat for him.

Except for S8 melee, of course.

Urza8188
03-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Problem with raveners is the same as warriors. cant allocate wounds and they die to S8 fire. The 12 inch charge is nice though you sac the ability to get boneswords and/or lashwhips.With shrikes you kinda get the best of both tough they're a bit pricey =\. warriors are also a scoring unit if you have the spare troop slot.