PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in to it all! Orks WIP

Vralka
03-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Heya!

I thought I'd post up here in the attempt to get some helpful comments from the comforts of my own chair!
I've literally not painted or played warhammer in 6 to 8 years. (Other than very recently, you understand)
Since I had spacemarines before I stopped, I decided that I'd go from the clinical battle protocals of the astartes, to the violent and unpredictable green horde of Orks.

I've started off by getting two boxes of Boyz, and two boxes of Gretchins, aiming for the whole 'Green Tide' tactic, and also giving me a large number of men to paint badly and practice on.

The Boyz have recieved blue cloth, and the grots have gotten a reddy orange.
An unexpected turn of events caused the blue clothing the Boyz have got to appear like denim. Judge them as you will.

So, without further ado, below are two links for the army. The images are quite large (800x600) so I've provided links instead of images, but each link is an image of the unit, with an overall photo, and close ups of things I thought could do with close-ups.

Note: All models shown are WIP
Grots:
A squad of 20 Gretchin, one Runtherd w/ Grotprod and Squig, and one Runtherd with grabber and whip.
Click 'Ere. ('http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/48/grotswip.jpg')

Orks with Choppy Bitz:
A squad of 9 Boyz with choppas and sluggas, one Boy with Rokkit launcha, and a Nob with Power klaw.
Click 'Ere Too! ('http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2202/choppaswip.jpg')

Orks with Shooty Bitz:
A squad of 9 Boyz with Shootas, one Boy with a Bigga Shoota, and a Nob with a Big Choppa.
Image to come soon.

I appologise for all the bad photos, but I'm taking them with a phone.
Hope you enjoy!
- Vralka

weeble1000
03-22-2012, 09:37 AM
That's a nice start Vralka. Welcome back to the hobby!

The Ork flesh looks good, and the the details of the models have been picked out cleanly. I did spot a visible mold line on the leg of one of your Boyz. I am personally picky about mold lines on my own models, although when building any horde army there's always a few of the buggers that escape attention until paint has gone down, no matter how meticulous you are.

Inquisitor A
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Looks like a great start getting back into things. I am just starting to get back into the hobby after several years of off and on activity. What made you start back up and how do you keep motivated?

Captainmiserable
03-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Looks great, just a bit hard to see with the blurry pics

Vralka
03-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks for pointing out the mould line there weeble. It shall be choppa'd immediatelly!

Inquisitor, I'm getting back into the hobby as recently my familly underwent a big house move, and I uncoveredmy old space marines. Since then, I'm working on getting them back together (thinking imperial fists, but when I did 'hammer last, the only way to differentiate between marine armies was the paint scheme, so I'd have to check about what's what :P
In terms of motivation? I've got a disney music playlist that keeps me going through pretty much anything to be honest.

Captain, I'm trying to work on the picture quality, but there's not much I can do about it with the phone camera I've got, and I can't get my hands on a better camera for a while.

Also, I'm thinking of making some of the plating on the men pilfered from some imperial fists, as I really the results I've gotten from an old tutorial I found, but is that ok lore wise? I wouldn't know myself!

Many thanks,
- Vralka

Sinistermind
03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
WAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH

great lookin models so far keep up the work!!!

SotonShades
03-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Orks lootin' from anyone is ok lore-wise :)

Great start, keep' em coming. Maybe see about getting someone from the uni photography soc to help with pics, especially once you have some fully finished models.

Carlsson
03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Looks great so far, very orky

splnes
03-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Looking good

joesavestheday
03-23-2012, 06:43 PM
These are looking good! Even with all that time away, you haven't lost the ability for some sharp/clean painting! You should be able to pick up plenty of Orks on the cheap with them being in the 5th ed box set; I know i've got 3 or 4 sets of them lying around somewhere. Now when you say disney music playlist, do you mean like disney musical soundtracks, or is disney some new band that I need to google ? ;)

DeffHeadDice
03-28-2012, 11:01 AM
You can't go wrong with the Assault on Black Reach boys. I have a reoccurring ad on Kijiji looking to buy them. Picked up 4-5 sets so far for cheap!

Vralka
03-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Taking a little break from painting at the moment, both looking for more boyz, and a better camera!
By 'Disney playlist', I mean a playlist of disney music, the older the better :P

Regardless of this break, I should have some new images for yall in two weeks or so.

Fight well,
Vralka