PDA

View Full Version : rules confirmation on morale checks

RFHolloway
03-22-2012, 07:10 AM
a unit has to make a morale check if it suffers losses of more than 25%.

is this of the current number of models

do losses agregate for all losses in a shooting phase

so to make this a little more concrete if I have a unit of 9 boys, and 2get shot - no morale check, if another unit in the same phase shoots another one is that a morale check or not.

Turner
03-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Yes, and yes!

It's current number of models... At the start of the phase. You have a single unit of 9 troops standing around, twiddling their thumbers then Blam! 2 are dead, just like that! That's only 22.22222222222222 you get the idea, but not 25% so they are safe. Unless of course they loose one more trooper in that same shooting phase, like say from some other unit that decides to take a pop shot at them. But if not then they have nothimg to worry about.

So the next shooting phase that same squad has 7 troopers in it... Don't lose 2 of them to shooting then, because now you only have 7 and 1.75 dead is 25% (although you can't have 1.75 so you have to loose a solid 2)

On a side note, if I move my unit through dangerious terrain and lose 25% would that unit have to take a moral test... In my movement phase?

RFHolloway
03-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks - still learning

SotonShades
03-22-2012, 09:02 AM
See pg 44 of the rulebook.

You only take morale tests at the end of the phase. You don't take a morale check for taking 25% casualties from one squads shooting and then have to take another.

It is also taking 25% from the number of models you had at the start of that phase, rather than the unit's starting strength.

You take a Morale check when you lose 25% of your casualties in any phase, other than casualties lost in close combat. However, if you lost 25% casualties because a vehicle exploded in the combat phase, and you were/are not in combat, then you would have to take a morale check.

So to answer Turner's question, losing over 25% of the models from a unit from dangerous terrain checks would cause you to take a morale check (possibly resulting in the unit running back through dangerous terrain and losing even more models!)

AbusePuppy
03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
It's worth pointing out that the break point is 25% or higher, not more than 25%- a unit of eight that loses two guys will need to make a test at the end of the phase.

Losses are combined over the course of the phase, but you will only ever need to test once (unless a special ability tells you otherwise, of course) no matter how many casualties you took. The test applies during any phase of your turn except the assault phase, which has its own rules for morale; it is possible, though not likely, to be forced to make a test during both your own movement and shooting phases.

RFHolloway
03-22-2012, 09:54 AM
a good reason for taking 4n+1 models in a squad then