PDA

View Full Version : Blood Claws WIP

Koci
03-22-2012, 06:11 AM
My first Space Wolves ever.. a nice beginning of a new army :)

Little Gallery (http://kociamber.pl/SW/)

How do you like them? BTW, sorry for the picture quality - it's just an iphone..

Koci
03-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Sorry fot he pic size! I hoped that there is a resize script.. I will try to make them smaller this evening!

2XS
03-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Nice work. But why did you shade the grey armor with brown? I would say, a darker grey tone or even black would fit better.

Koci
03-22-2012, 06:54 AM
In fact the shade is something between ornge and brown (it's a mix of gryphonne sepia, vermin brown and glaze medium 1:1:1)
it looks much better in live and it gives you great colour transition
dark grey seems to be too flat to me

here is a better photo example of the same http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6127/5952418271_d8c5c867c8.jpg

Transmutedelf
03-22-2012, 09:09 AM
I really enjoy your wet blending you've done. It's my weak point. But I agree with 2XS about the shading with dark grey or Black, with a brown mix like that it looks more like dirt stuck in the joints than shadows. If you were trying to go for a more naturalistic shading and using a complimentary color I would use a bit more red in the wash to get the compliment for the shadows.

Duck
03-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Wow Koci, those turned out REALLY good! The army will look stunning when you're done!
/jealous >>

Carlsson
03-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Looks awesome, like the main grey as well!

Tzelanit
03-26-2012, 09:59 PM
That is some impressive painting friend.

Taco_Deluxe
03-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Very well done, can't wait to see it finished.

pathwinder14
03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Great stuff! Why the brown shading?

PoliticalOfficerKrad
03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
They look great man!

Irongut
03-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Very nice!

Koci
03-28-2012, 03:11 AM
Great stuff! Why the brown shading?

brown/orange is making SW Grey to be very "crisp" ;) It looks much better imho than just dark grey.. it gives a lot of character

Kamui
03-28-2012, 08:44 AM
I agree the armor looks very crisp and your talent is apparent. But the brown does give the impression of dirt or rust collecting in the recesses. The overall effect looks like armor that was put in storage immediately after it was manufactured, and very recently put into service after a quick wipe down.

This effect would work better with a little weathering, or if you are planning to base them on dusty or muddy terrain.

Koci
03-28-2012, 08:48 AM
I agree the armor looks very crisp and your talent is apparent. But the brown does give the impression of dirt or rust collecting in the recesses. The overall effect looks like armor that was put in storage immediately after it was manufactured, and very recently put into service after a quick wipe down.

This effect would work better with a little weathering, or if you are planning to base them on dusty or muddy terrain.

true - I will use an airbrush to and/or Vallejo pigments to make some dust
I will add some battle damage as well when I will improve my painting skills.. now I'm watching tons of tutorials and picking up the most useful techniques
and please be aware that the picture "pasted" to the thread is from one of the tutorials - my work is under the link in the first post ;)

Kamui
03-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Have you tried the sponge method of adding damage? Tear off a small peice of that grey foam and use it to dab black paint where you want damage. Then you add some boltgun metal inside the black spots, leaving the edges black to imply depth. It gives you some nice random chip patterns.

It's definitely something you'll want to practice a bit on a random model or piece of paper until you get a feel for how much paint you want on the sponge. Too much and you'll obliterate all of your hard work!