PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with eHaley??!

Kasil
03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Whatever faction you play, how do you deal with eHaley? Her feat alone is such a hurdle!

muffinman331
03-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Whatever faction you play, how do you deal with eHaley? Her feat alone is such a hurdle!

I am not an expert in facing eHaley, since she normally kills me. Also, I have only played against her 2 times. I have gone and asked for advice on various forums though, and this is a summary of their advice:

1. do your best to avoid handing the game over on a plate. meaning try to avoid giving a turn where her feat will affect all of your models at once on a critical turn. If you can put pressure on her early, you may be able to force her to feat early when it isn't a critical turn just to protect herself. or keep yourself spaced out away from threats that can capitalize on her feat. Really it's not too different than other feats that cause a basically wasted turn (eDenny, Saeryn, etc). know it's coming and minimize your losses

2. bring more shooting. if a large portion of your army (or even just a few strong units) can deal damage from range, the feat doesn't hurt you quite as much. a melee army will have to move and attack, which means her feat is crippling. a shooty army is ok sacrificing movement on most models to shoot her army for a turn. shooting models also tend to rely less on order of activation (don't need to stack movement buffs, STR buffs, pathfinder, etc, etc).

3. Get rid of her arc nodes ASAP. this is true with many casters, but Haley is really dangerous while her arc ndoe is running around. it should be a priority target, even if you have to sacrifice something or get out of position to do it. TK all over the place is hard to deal with, but it has a very short range without an arc node...

That's all I have, without more details on what armies/casters you have used against her

under
03-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Rather deal with eHaley then pHaley. As a Retributioin player I have a healthy mix of melee and shooting, it's almost silly how easy eHaley is. Kill arc nodes asap, and attrition her army. She's got relatively little endgame.

I was listening to a podcast resently and they made a nice point, that winning against eHaley often still looks like losing if you use the same method of judging that you would against other casters. I think it was Muse on Minis #7.

Swifter66
03-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Bring ranged options and do your best to manage her feat.

Dais
03-20-2012, 04:38 AM
I'm a big eHaley player so I can tell you what I don't like to see.

Pick apart her army. She needs those troops and jacks to win the game so remove them and she will have a hard time standing on her own. Cygnar can do attrition but has to commit to it so they will either be defensive or offensive but rarely both and usually expensive -try to force favorable points trades. Even if you feel outnumbered play it cool and remember that she is awful with that spear and pistol and has to expose herself if she casts a non-arced spell. Unless you are playing scenario just pull back on her feat turn, it is rarely worth leaving yourself open to attack to shoot something because she gets to set up the most favorable charges.
She's a strong spellcaster but nobody has unlimited focus and without arc nodes she is limited in what she can actually do by herself. Look at her list and devise her primary win conditions and prioritize them then grind down the rest cautiously. Most of the time when I play a warjack is what land's the killing blow so conside targeting them.

Marshal_Wilhelm
03-21-2012, 02:07 AM
After reading some Hand Cannon Online articles, it seems like eHaley plays more like a Hordes force, and trying to defeat her is more having to get rid of the army first, at least somewhat, than trying to take her out asap, which seems more of a WM tactic.

True?

thebarbalag
03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
It's certainly true that she doesn't stand up to attrition. Armies that depend on synergy may have a hard time with her, but if you have a little redundancy in your army you'll hold up better. Know that the feat turn is coming and play more cautiously than you might otherwise. Without arc nodes, she's not nearly as dangerous. She's going to have trouble dealing with tougher, highly resilient units. My Gators love to see her on the other side of the table.

Mdw005
03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Best way is to kill off her army. The quicker the better. Her feat, while tough, is not good for catching her up if she is behind. It is deadly if she is ahead. If you can get the jump on her, she has a hard time coming back.

-MW-

Isante
03-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Curl up in a ball and cry..

Pudgeinabowl
03-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Curl up in a ball and cry..

I don't have time for the curl up stage.

Korwen
03-22-2012, 10:20 AM
eHaley isn't exactly a 1-trick pony, but there are plenty of ways to get around what she does.

Just play anticipating the feat for starters. Space your models in such a way that they won't be in each other's way as much as possible, and try to limit the amount of suffering that can be imposed. Realize that if you have a good defensive position that it's okay to not advance with important models for safety's sake.

Also realize some models are supposed to be fodder, and make use of that. Try to use faster models to jam, forcing her to pop feat at an inopportune time.

Also, do NOT place any important models next to low defense models. Keep far enough away to avoid getting caught in those dang AOEs if they target something easy to hit with it (jack/beast)

the_puritan
03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
As an eHaley player (and only ever seen her on my side of the table), I can tell you what has worked against me.

Ranged attacks: People covered this already. You care less about the feat if you can still kill my stuff.

Really fast stuff: I don't want to have to pop feat on the bottom of turn 1, but I've had to before and it did not go well for me. When your whole army is in my grill without giving me 2 or 3 turns to shoot it, my eHaley builds aren't able to deal enough damage to the key pieces generally.
Specifically, I generally run 1 or 2 heavy hitters like a Stomclad or Hammersmith. They can't be everywhere at once and can only really deal with one heavy before they end up being a trade.
actually... that brings me to...

Sacrificial units that can't be ignored: Pretty much every model in the game threatens eHaley (unless she's really REALLY camping). Granted, her DEF can be daunting (especially on the charge), but one well-placed hit will put her on the ropes if not kill her outright. So, your infantry or tricksy light beast/jack missile will have to be dealt with immediately.
If you can bait out my heavy with your light (or heavy infantry) in a post-feat turn, you can most likely take out my heavy next turn which will swing the game decidedly in your favor (as I lose the ability to deal easily with your high-ARM/damageboxes stuff).

multiple Arc nodes: The feat turn gets tricky when there's too many things that need to go last. Do I let your caster go first and cast buffs? Do I let the nodes go first and position to where your can sling spells at me? Obviously this depends on your board positioning when I feat, but try to overwhelm me with bad choices.

Calvary: I hate these guys so bad... They're to fast to ignore, have rules that allow them to bypass a lot of my safeguards, and are autonomous enough to stay out of the feat bubble when the rest of your stuff gets caught. My Khador friend likes to run a dragoon on either flank and walk straight at me with everything else.
Haley (and Cygnar in general) has to focus fire most of the time and I don't do well when I have to split fire between 3 fronts.

Mind games: Using the first turn or so to swap your deployment makes me call into question my own positioning. Backing up when I make you activate units in the back makes me want to activate your front units next... which can set up the rest of your stuff to make advances FORWARD.
Think outside the box and mess with my head. eHaley is all about control and I can only control you if I know what you want to be doing.

So, to recap/generalize, force bad trades/matchups through a combination of misdirection, fast/autonomous models and multiple fronts in order to remove the (probably very) few key models that can threaten your stuff... than steamroll when I can't stop you.