PDA

View Full Version : the list that will not lose!!!

commissar camenzuli
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
i recently asked for ideas about a 500pts IG army. i did create one and here it is:
HQ- lord commissar with power sword carapace armour bolter and melta bombs =95pts
troops- veterans with a lascannon = 90pts
elites- 10 man storm troopers with 2 melta guns = 185pts
fast attack- vendetta gunship =130pts
this only has one troop choice as it is for a doubles tournement and you only needed one troip. please tell me your thoughts and suggestions

elmo.a69
03-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Sounds like it will be pretty devastating. Transport the vets in the gunship to move fast and get into range with the meltas, deploy and let it all burn.

commissar camenzuli
03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Sounds like it will be pretty devastating. Transport the vets in the gunship to move fast and get into range with the meltas, deploy and let it all burn.
that was the plan. this army decimated a awesome grey knight army so i am happy with it

Bean
03-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Highly underwhelming.

A single lascannon is really a terrible use of a veteran squad. I don't know if you're planning on putting it in the Vendetta or not, but that would basically just make it worse--heavy weapons and transports don't generally mix well unless the transport has a firepoint and you're planning on just parking and taking shots out the top (this is what Chimaeras are for). Vendettas don't do that.

Stormtroopers are one of the weaker options in the codex. They're expensive, they don't score, they don't bring as many special weapons as a vet squad, and their funny special lasguns are really not worth it. Plus, they're really expensive.

The Vendetta is great.

The Lord Commissar is tooled up more than is worthwhile--both here and with the Storm Troopers, you're wasting points in a format where you have a very small amount to begin with.

Unless you're running blobs of foot infantry, the Lord Commissar is a bad buy. Command squads are fantastic, for one thing, and even if you're looking for a more budget option, the Primaris Psyker would do a lot more than the Commissar in a list like this for fewer points.

Here's a similar list that isn't nearly as bad:

Company Command Squad: 4x Meltas (90)
Veteran Squad: 3x Meltas, Demolitions (130)
Vendetta (130)
Vendetta (130)

Heck, you could even drop a Vendetta here for a Chimaera and add a Hydra, and either list would be far, far better than the one you've written. No offense, but your list wastes a lot of points on very dubious buys.

commissar camenzuli
03-19-2012, 03:25 PM
The thing is it is either that or i drop the storm troopers for a leman russ battle tank or add in loads of penal legions

Bean
03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
The thing is it is either that or i drop the storm troopers for a leman russ battle tank or add in loads of penal legions

You should definitely drop the storm troopers. I'd advise away from piles of penal legions, but at least there the Commissar wouldn't be a complete waste. The Leman Russ is a fine tank, but, frankly, there are a lot of better heavy support options in the Guard codex that I would take first.

I mean, really, aside from the Vendetta, none of the units in your list are actually good units. The whole deal needs significant revision.

commissar camenzuli
03-19-2012, 03:33 PM
You should definitely drop the storm troopers. I'd advise away from piles of penal legions, but at least there the Commissar wouldn't be a complete waste. The Leman Russ is a fine tank, but, frankly, there are a lot of better heavy support options in the Guard codex that I would take first.

I mean, really, aside from the Vendetta, none of the units in your list are actually good units. The whole deal needs significant revision.
that is not what the dude with the daemon prince said, or the dude with the grey knights
:mad:

Bean
03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
that is not what the dude with the daemon prince said, or the dude with the grey knights
:mad:

Well, you can take whomever's advice you want, but remember that you did ask for advice. If you don't want mine, don't take it--but don't get mad at me for offering it.

Also, I'm really right. I suspect that the dude with the Daemon Prince and the dude with the Grey Knights were just bad players. Most people are.

commissar camenzuli
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Well, you can take whomever's advice you want, but remember that you did ask for advice. If you don't want mine, don't take it--but don't get mad at me for offering it.

Also, I'm really right. I suspect that the dude with the Daemon Prince and the dude with the Grey Knights were just bad players. Most people are.

i wasnt getting mad. they ate amazing players who qualified for the nationals at the school league

Bean
03-19-2012, 03:45 PM
i wasnt getting mad. they ate amazing players who qualified for the nationals at the school league

Doesn't really change the fact that they're wrong and this is a horribly inefficient list. =P

Part of it, really, is that Guard just scales down better than most other armies--including Chaos and Grey Knights.

commissar camenzuli
03-19-2012, 03:50 PM
thanks for the advice

Bean
03-19-2012, 03:54 PM
thanks for the advice

No problem. Good luck with your doubles tourney!

commissar camenzuli
03-19-2012, 03:55 PM
i am gonna need it

Dameon01
03-22-2012, 05:37 AM
i agree with bean, much better use of points

pappsy
03-22-2012, 05:49 AM
any list can lose

Wolfshade
03-22-2012, 07:40 AM
any list can lose
Jevris once said that there was no unbeatable list, for if you put it up against itself one side will lose (unless its a draw)

Nrthstar
03-22-2012, 10:02 PM
It's tricky with 500, not all armies scale alike at lower points, but I could definitely see this eat through my 500 point wolves if my boys don't move fast enough in their rhinos.

commissar camenzuli
03-23-2012, 03:26 PM
bad news. the tourney was cancelled

Nykster
03-23-2012, 10:08 PM
That's too bad. Let me give a bit of advice anyway, for future reference.
While storm troopers are over priced, their hot shot lashings are nothing to snub. I think your bigger problem is that your vets are so innefective. A small. Hangs I would make would be to give the special weapons to the vet squad. I would then consider 2 chimeras as opposes to 1 vendetta.

commissar camenzuli
03-25-2012, 05:48 AM
thanks guys