PDA

View Full Version : Different Kinds of Tournaments for Different Kinds of Players

Chris Copeland
03-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Troops,
Yesterday I went to a tournament that one of the local game shops put on. It was AWESOME. It was a tourney aimed at players like me: lower-key, all-aspect players. It used a fairly normal format but there were some important modifications:

Painting scores were factored in
Sportsmanship was a factor
Each player earned extra points if they brought a hand made objective to the tourney
Points were deducted for unpainted and/or unassembled models

This was what I would call an "All Aspects" tournament. It catered to those hobbiests who care as much about painting, modeling, and sportsmanship as they do about tactical issues. It was a blast and the turn out was excellent.

There are all kinds of tournaments out there. There are your standard Steamroller/'Ard-Boyz-style tournies that cater to the gamers who are focused on tactical play. There are tournies (like the one I attended yesterday) that cater to the all-aspects gamers. There are tournies in between. I am NOT the kind of guy who advocates only having one or the other. I think it is good for our hobby to reach gamers on many levels. 'Ard-Boyz style tournaments are a bit of a turn off for me and I rarely attend them: but I think they are good for the hobby. I'd never suggest that we not have tournies dedicated to the tactics-centric gamers. Likewise, I can't see how having all-aspects tournies hurts the hard core tacticians: if a tournament comes around that isn't for you how does it harm you to wait for the next one?

So here is my question to the community: which kind of tournament do YOU prefer? Here is a follow up question: does it bother you when the kind of tournament that you don't prefer happens? Do you feel angry and left out or are you happy for the gamers that are there and then find yourself waiting patiently for one to come around that favors your style of play?

I look forward to hearing from y'all! Good gaming to all! Cheers. Copeland

Bean
03-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I guess this means you're Kerstan on the Privateer boards, eh?

Likewise, I can't see how having all-aspects tournies hurts the hard core tacticians: if a tournament comes around that isn't for you how does it harm you to wait for the next one?

It doesn't really. What can be irritating is when a tournament isn't described very well before-hand. You show up at a tournament, and I think a reasonable default assumption is that you're gonna play some games, and whoever wins the most games will win. If you show up at a tournament expecting that, and then you discover that, in fact, not having painted arc-markings on all of your bases has suddenly become a significant handicap, it can be irritating.

Clearly, both types of tournaments are legitimate. But, I think that tournament organizers have a responsibility to make it clear what sort of tournament they're running before hand--and that this onus is substantially greater on the organizers of "all aspects" tournaments than it is on organizers of more basic, straight-forward, win-counting tournaments.

So here is my question to the community: which kind of tournament do YOU prefer? Here is a follow up question: does it bother you when the kind of tournament that you don't prefer happens? Do you feel angry and left out or are you happy for the gamers that are there and then find yourself waiting patiently for one to come around that favors your style of play?

I'm fine with both types. If it's a tournament where painting is figured into the overall score and my army isn't completely painted, I usually won't bother to attend, but that doesn't really bother me.

I guess I generally prefer just counting wins, though, to trying to balance out the importance of different "aspects" of the hobby.

Chris Copeland
03-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Yep. That's me: Kerstan "Chris" Copeland... no handles... just my real names... :)

Bean
03-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Yep. That's me: Kerstan "Chris" Copeland... no handles... just my real names... :)

Cool. =)

Chris Copeland
03-18-2012, 02:44 PM
It doesn't really. What can be irritating is when a tournament isn't described very well before-hand. You show up at a tournament, and I think a reasonable default assumption is that you're gonna play some games, and whoever wins the most games will win. If you show up at a tournament expecting that, and then you discover that, in fact, not having painted arc-markings on all of your bases has suddenly become a significant handicap, it can be irritating.

Hmmm. I'd never thought of that before: you expect one kind of tournament and you get another. I could see that as being annoying. It's never happened to me. In all of my years of gaming every tourney that I've shown up for has been fairly well defined before-hand. Most of the time it has been a straight "tactical tournament." Every once in a while I find myself in a tourney that gives bonus points for bringing painted models... but those are few and far between where I live. I've NEVER seen a "Painted Only Tournament." Ye Gods, I'd love to play in one of those!

plasticaddict
03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
I've NEVER seen a "Painted Only Tournament." Ye Gods, I'd love to play in one of those!

We'll see what we can do Chris. I'd like to play in a fully painted event too, it might even get me to finish painting an army.

Bean
03-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Hmmm. I'd never thought of that before: you expect one kind of tournament and you get another. I could see that as being annoying. It's never happened to me. In all of my years of gaming every tourney that I've shown up for has been fairly well defined before-hand. Most of the time it has been a straight "tactical tournament."

It has happened to me, but it's been very infrequent.

Every once in a while I find myself in a tourney that gives bonus points for bringing painted models... but those are few and far between where I live.

Well, that was the premise of the thread, right? That you just played in a tournament like that?

I have played in these, but they've become less and less common around here. These days, we usually do a straight tactical tournament with an simultaneous--but separate--painting competition with its own prize.

I've NEVER seen a "Painted Only Tournament." Ye Gods, I'd love to play in one of those!

I think the Adepticon Team Tourney (for 40k) requires painted models, and I've played in that. But yeah, this seems rare.

The GW community certainly stresses painting more than the PP community, though, so you'll see more integration of painting and painting-required events for GW games.

Chris Copeland
03-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Well, that was the premise of the thread, right? That you just played in a tournament like that?

Yesterday's tourney was even better than that! Not only were there extra points for painting, they added in points for sportsmanship, bringing an extra (hand made) objective, and other things! It was a hobbyist's dream! It was the first such tournament I've attended for WarmaHordes... so that means it was a rare thing indeed!

I'd say the point of this thread could be stated thusly: "Copeland thinks that it's OK to have multiple types of tournies: some that cater to all-aspect hobbyists and some that cater to hard-core tacticians. Do you agree? Which type do you prefer?"

Bean, you place yourself in the "I Prefer Hard Core Tactical Tournies But Don't Begrudge the All-Aspect Gamers a Tournament Aimed at Them Now and Then" Camp. I have that right, yes?

Bean
03-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Yesterday's tourney was even better than that! Not only were there extra points for painting, they added in points for sportsmanship, bringing an extra (hand made) objective, and other things! It was a hobbyist's dream! It was the first such tournament I've attended for WarmaHordes... so that means it was a rare thing indeed!

I don't know if you've played much 40k, but in my experience this sort of thing is actually not uncommon in teh 40k scene.

Bean, you place yourself in the "I Prefer Hard Core Tactical Tournies But Don't Begrudge the All-Aspect Gamers a Tournament Aimed at Them Now and Then" Camp. I have that right, yes?

Yes.

wittdooley
03-18-2012, 06:14 PM
We'll see what we can do Chris. I'd like to play in a fully painted event too, it might even get me to finish painting an army.

Come play in the Adepticon Team Tourney. Pretty much the only tournament I'll play in. It's very fun.

Chumbalaya
03-19-2012, 07:31 AM
http://www.novaopen.com/

1 tourney with everything for everyone. I wish most tournies could be half as good.

eldargal
03-19-2012, 07:41 AM
My group are a big fan of different styles of tournaments. We have your garden variety competitive yournament, no sportsmanship scores, no pating score but you do need painted models (we aren't barbarians), then we have 'Hobby' tournaments where painting and sportsmanship are taken into account. Then we have lots of campaigns and Apocalypse/Planetstrike/CoD games just for fun.

Muras
03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
I prefer these kinds of tournies myself and am fortunate enough to have one nearby that does this. Good fun!

Lots of jealousy at Eldargal for having a group that pretty much plays the ideal specrum of stuff.

Levitas
03-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Our group runs both competitive, hobby and campaign events. The hobby is so vast that its good to cater to all aspects of it and its players.

I personally enjoy the narrative and creative sides so favor campaigns and hobby tournaments. But also run in ard boyz, as its fun to push an army to its max.

It depends on your group and area I guess, but painting an army is a huge time consuming task so painted armies can tend to be in the minority. Specially when new crack comes along and you start the process again!

Charistoph
03-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Most of my LGS's are pretty standard fair, though, once a month they run an odd-ball tournament. Last month it was 40K, 1000 points, 2+ Elite, 2+ HS. Last Saturday of the Month, it's 1000 points, no FOC.

They run a Halloween Z-Day with everyone taking a generic HQ and then facing a horde of zombies, a squad of Plague Marines,and Typhus. Thanksgiving, they run Tanksgiving which is bring all your vehicles and Monstrous Creatures. Doubles tournaments for both 40K and WarmaHordes happen about 1 1/2 times a month on average. They even ran a couple King of the Hills with both Fantasy (Bloodthirster one, surprise), and WarmaHordes (Warlocks' Fury was classed as Focus for this one).